Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 491359 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #23: Jan 02, 2013 03:47:17 pm
      Sturridge: The first interview
      After completing his transfer to Liverpool earlier today, Daniel Sturridge sat down with Liverpoolfc.com to discuss his ambitions at Anfield – putting a smile on fans' faces chief among them.

Daniel, on behalf of everybody at Liverpool Football Club, welcome. How does it feel to finally be a Liverpool player?

Thank you. I am really happy - delighted to sign for one of the biggest clubs in the world. I am humbled and happy to be here.

What have the past 24 hours been like?

They've been quite relaxing, actually, because I knew I'd be coming at some stage, so it was just a matter of when I'd be here. Now everything is sorted out, I am here and ready to go.

What are your impressions of the club and the facilities here at Melwood?

My first impressions have been the same as the impressions I've had throughout my life - it's just a huge club and it's a dream for anybody to play for. The history of the club and the fans are amazing - it has everything a player could wish to have behind them, so I am delighted to be here. I am humbled by everything and happy to be here.

What has the manager Brendan Rodgers said to you about where he sees your future at Liverpool?

He said he sees me here for a long time - and I also see myself here for a long time, too. I've not signed here to play for a couple of years and then move on. I've signed to be here for as long as possible. It's a humongous club - for me, one of the biggest in the world - and to have the fans and world-class players we have here is amazing. I'm just happy the manager has put faith in me. He is the first manager to actually pay for me and sign me, so I can't ask for anymore from him or the club in bringing me here.

Brendan Rodgers has a clear vision for what he wants here at Liverpool Football Club - he's got a plan for the future. How much does it excite you to be part of that plan?

I'm hugely excited. I just can't wait for the games to start rolling on. I've not played for a while - I've had a couple of injuries over the last few months - but I'm just happy now to join such a great club, to be part of a revolution and to be part of something new and something special. Hopefully we'll be able to bring a bit of success for the fans.

Let's talk about you personally and your qualities. You've played out wide, you've played through the middle... in your opinion, what's your best position?

I see myself as a striker. I think I perform best there because my attributes, I believe, are best as a central striker. But I have played on the wing and have learned a lot doing so. I'd never refuse to play in that position and I've never demanded to play up front, either. For me, whatever the manager wants me to do I will do it and work as hard as I can for the club and the fans. I'll try to put a smile on the fans' faces and try to bring some success to the club - it would be amazing.

You say your attributes suit playing as an out-and-out striker - what are those attributes, in your opinion?

I'm quite quick, I like to dribble with the ball, try and set up my teammates, I'm quite direct and I like to shoot and pass - it's just really to try and help the team win. The pace can help my teammates put me through on goal, but most importantly it's just about working for the team and trying to help my teammates win the game. That's what's more important than anything else - it doesn't really matter about me as an individual. It's about the team and about winning games.

You'll now have the opportunity to play alongside Luis Suarez. How highly do you rate him and how much are you looking forward to playing with him?

To have him as a teammate is great. He's a very good player, very talented and rated as a one of the best players in attacking positions in the world right now. It's good to be part of a team with him in and I'm sure we'll be able to play well together.
      Looking at his qualities, do you think you could have a successful partnership?

Of course. With Luis, Raheem and the other players that are here, it's going to be great for myself and I'm sure we'll connect well together. We all have similar attributes, so hopefully we'll be able to create a few nightmares for defenders!

You know some of the Liverpool players that are here already through your involvement with England and at the Olympics, such as Joe Allen. Have you spoken to any of them?

I have - I've spoken to Jordan Henderson and Joe Allen. I saw Joe when I came down for the medical. He's a great guy. We spoke a lot when we were at the Olympics together - we were in the same room - and got on very well. I've known Jordan for a few years now from the U21s and things like that. The senior players such as Steven Gerrard and Glen Johnson, I've met them through the England set up. Joe Cole, too. I know quite a few of the players, so it's going to be easy for me to settle in.

You played against Liverpool in the FA Youth Cup final in 2006 - what are your memories of that?

It wasn't nice! I remember it like it was yesterday - playing at Anfield was crazy for me. We lost 3-0 and I can remember the chances I missed and the goals Liverpool scored. Then we played against them at home, won 2-0 and I scored the goals, but it wasn't enough and can't replace the fact we didn't win the cup. But it was great to play against Liverpool and at Anfield at such a young age.

So you've experienced Anfield as an opposition player - can you imagine what it's going to feel like when you run out onto the pitch and you've got all those fans behind you?

I can't, to be honest. I have been told by so many people that it's amazing and the feelings you'll have when you go out onto the pitch. When the fans sing 'You'll Never Walk Alone', as an opposition player it doesn't affect you - but playing for the team, it's a completely different feeling. You feel a lot of emotions and you just want to go out there and play your heart out. For me to join such a great club, have amazing fans and try to bring success to them will be a dream come true.

You're going to have the opportunity to see your teammates in action at Anfield tonight. Unfortunately, you're ineligible to play, which must be quite frustrating. How desperate are you just to get your Liverpool career going now?

I'm so desperate. It's very frustrating not being able to play because the window opened yesterday. I would have loved to have been involved and it's unfortunate I'm not able to, so I'll be watching from the stands, cheering the boys on and hopefully we can get a result.

Just finally, then, what is your message to Liverpool fans?

I just want to say I hope that you're very well and have had a good Christmas and New Year. I'd like to say I'm delighted to join the club, and I'm very happy to be here. I'm humbled by this club and I hope you're happy I'm at the club. I hope I can help bring some success to the club and bring smiles to a few people's faces. Thank you for having me here.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/sturridge-the-first-interview
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #24: Jan 02, 2013 03:48:00 pm
      Welcome Daniel!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #25: Jan 02, 2013 03:49:03 pm
      Welcome to a proper club Daniel, I think you might surprise one or two. Very pleased he's signed personally.

Cracking first interview too, I especially took note of "He is the first manager to actually pay for me and sign me, so I can't ask for anymore from him or the club in bringing me here." and how it related to the enquiry we made to loan him in the Summer just gone, can totally respect at 23 him wanting a place to launch his career rather than a loan. I'm not easily impressed by talk or "fluff" as some like to call it but I certainly liked what I read there!
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #26: Jan 02, 2013 03:49:19 pm
      Welcome to LFC Daniel.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #27: Jan 02, 2013 03:49:22 pm
      Its so boring signing players early in the window:/
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #28: Jan 02, 2013 03:50:15 pm
      Checking the shed end forum,  the fans are 90% gutted he is going and all talking about him being a 20 goal season man if given the opportunities.......very positive....
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #29: Jan 02, 2013 03:50:17 pm
      Welcome Daniel !
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 751 
      Reply #30: Jan 02, 2013 03:50:29 pm
      Welcome to the club Daniel, look forward to seeing you score the first of many goals for the Reds.BTW love the word humongous, have you been watching countdown on TV.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #31: Jan 02, 2013 03:53:47 pm
      Good luck, Danny!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #32: Jan 02, 2013 03:56:38 pm

After completing his transfer to Liverpool earlier today, Daniel Sturridge sat down with Liverpoolfc.com to discuss his ambitions at Anfield – putting a smile on fans' faces chief among them.

Daniel, on behalf of everybody at Liverpool Football Club, welcome. How does it feel to finally be a Liverpool player?

Thank you. I am really happy - delighted to sign for one of the biggest clubs in the world. I am humbled and happy to be here.

They've been quite relaxing, actually, because I knew I'd be coming at some stage, so it was just a matter of when I'd be here. Now everything is sorted out, I am here and ready to go.

My first impressions have been the same as the impressions I've had throughout my life - it's just a huge club and it's a dream for anybody to play for. The history of the club and the fans are amazing - it has everything a player could wish to have behind them, so I am delighted to be here. I am humbled by everything and happy to be here.

What has the manager Brendan Rodgers said to you about where he sees your future at Liverpool?

He said he sees me here for a long time - and I also see myself here for a long time, too. I've not signed here to play for a couple of years and then move on. I've signed to be here for as long as possible. It's a humongous club - for me, one of the biggest in the world - and to have the fans and world-class players we have here is amazing. I'm just happy the manager has put faith in me. He is the first manager to actually pay for me and sign me, so I can't ask for anymore from him or the club in bringing me here.

Brendan Rodgers has a clear vision for what he wants here at Liverpool Football Club - he's got a plan for the future. How much does it excite you to be part of that plan?

I'm hugely excited. I just can't wait for the games to start rolling on. I've not played for a while - I've had a couple of injuries over the last few months - but I'm just happy now to join such a great club, to be part of a revolution and to be part of something new and something special. Hopefully we'll be able to bring a bit of success for the fans.

Let's talk about you personally and your qualities. You've played out wide, you've played through the middle... in your opinion, what's your best position?

I see myself as a striker. I think I perform best there because my attributes, I believe, are best as a central striker. But I have played on the wing and have learned a lot doing so. I'd never refuse to play in that position and I've never demanded to play up front, either. For me, whatever the manager wants me to do I will do it and work as hard as I can for the club and the fans. I'll try to put a smile on the fans' faces and try to bring some success to the club - it would be amazing.

You say your attributes suit playing as an out-and-out striker - what are those attributes, in your opinion?

I'm quite quick, I like to dribble with the ball, try and set up my teammates, I'm quite direct and I like to shoot and pass - it's just really to try and help the team win. The pace can help my teammates put me through on goal, but most importantly it's just about working for the team and trying to help my teammates win the game. That's what's more important than anything else - it doesn't really matter about me as an individual. It's about the team and about winning games.

You'll now have the opportunity to play alongside Luis Suarez. How highly do you rate him and how much are you looking forward to playing with him?

To have him as a teammate is great. He's a very good player, very talented and rated as a one of the best players in attacking positions in the world right now. It's good to be part of a team with him in and I'm sure we'll be able to play well together.

Of course. With Luis, Raheem and the other players that are here, it's going to be great for myself and I'm sure we'll connect well together. We all have similar attributes, so hopefully we'll be able to create a few nightmares for defenders!

You know some of the Liverpool players that are here already through your involvement with England and at the Olympics, such as Joe Allen. Have you spoken to any of them?

I have - I've spoken to Jordan Henderson and Joe Allen. I saw Joe when I came down for the medical. He's a great guy. We spoke a lot when we were at the Olympics together - we were in the same room - and got on very well. I've known Jordan for a few years now from the U21s and things like that. The senior players such as Steven Gerrard and Glen Johnson, I've met them through the England set up. Joe Cole, too. I know quite a few of the players, so it's going to be easy for me to settle in.

You played against Liverpool in the FA Youth Cup final in 2006 - what are your memories of that?

It wasn't nice! I remember it like it was yesterday - playing at Anfield was crazy for me. We lost 3-0 and I can remember the chances I missed and the goals Liverpool scored. Then we played against them at home, won 2-0 and I scored the goals, but it wasn't enough and can't replace the fact we didn't win the cup. But it was great to play against Liverpool and at Anfield at such a young age.

So you've experienced Anfield as an opposition player - can you imagine what it's going to feel like when you run out onto the pitch and you've got all those fans behind you?

I can't, to be honest. I have been told by so many people that it's amazing and the feelings you'll have when you go out onto the pitch. When the fans sing 'You'll Never Walk Alone', as an opposition player it doesn't affect you - but playing for the team, it's a completely different feeling. You feel a lot of emotions and you just want to go out there and play your heart out. For me to join such a great club, have amazing fans and try to bring success to them will be a dream come true.

You're going to have the opportunity to see your teammates in action at Anfield tonight. Unfortunately, you're ineligible to play, which must be quite frustrating. How desperate are you just to get your Liverpool career going now?

I'm so desperate. It's very frustrating not being able to play because the window opened yesterday. I would have loved to have been involved and it's unfortunate I'm not able to, so I'll be watching from the stands, cheering the boys on and hopefully we can get a result.

I just want to say I hope that you're very well and have had a good Christmas and New Year. I'd like to say I'm delighted to join the club, and I'm very happy to be here. I'm humbled by this club and I hope you're happy I'm at the club. I hope I can help bring some success to the club and bring smiles to a few people's faces. Thank you for having me here.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #33: Jan 02, 2013 03:56:52 pm

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/sturridge-the-first-interview
      IM
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts | 12 
      Reply #34: Jan 02, 2013 03:57:00 pm
      Welcome to the club, Daniel !
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #35: Jan 02, 2013 04:00:07 pm
      Beaten to it by debs! :f_tongueincheek:

I'm hearing he was on £80,000 a week at Chelsea but he's on £60,000 a week with us. Anyone able to confirm or deny that? If it's true fair play to him.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #36: Jan 02, 2013 04:01:14 pm
      The interview sounds like he is a down to earth guy. Welcome to the biggest club in the world.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #37: Jan 02, 2013 04:03:04 pm

I'm hearing he was on £80,000 a week at Chelsea but he's on £60,000 a week with us. Anyone able to confirm or deny that? If it's true fair play to him.

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:  yours looks better though  ;)

Not sure about his wages at Chelsea but think you're not far off with those figures mate.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #38: Jan 02, 2013 04:06:37 pm

Not sure about his wages at Chelsea but think you're not far off with those figures mate.

Check the first page :laugh:
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #39: Jan 02, 2013 04:07:29 pm
      I wonder what position is he going to play / how the team will be set up now.

Suarez pushed out wide? Sturridge up top with Suarez playing off him?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #40: Jan 02, 2013 04:09:07 pm
      I wonder what position is he going to play / how the team will be set up now.

Suarez pushed out wide? Sturridge up top with Suarez playing off him?

I think we're going to have a very fluid top 3 mate, very interchangeable, if all 3 can occupy all 3 positions up top it will be an absolute nightmare to defend against and I personally believe that's the plan. Far too much wide play so far and will be nice to see a player with a proper threat from an inside forward position / striker play alongside Luis, think they could work superb together.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #41: Jan 02, 2013 04:10:10 pm

Liverpool today completed the transfer of Daniel Sturridge. Here are 10 facts about our new boy...

1. Daniel Sturridge was born in Birmingham in 1989 and before moving to Manchester City's youth set-up in 2003, he spent time at Aston Villa and Coventry.

2. Sturridge comes from a footballing background. He is the nephew of former Derby and Wolves striker Dean Sturridge.

3. In the 2007-08 season, Sturridge became the only player ever to score in the Youth FA Cup, the FA Cup and the Premier League in the same season.

4. He finished the 2009-10 FA Cup campaign as Chelsea's leading scorer with four goals as Carlo Ancelotti's side completed winning the double by beating Portsmouth 1-0 at Wembley.

5. In January 2011 he went out on loan to Bolton and when he netted against Wolves, Tottenham, Everton and Newcastle in succession, he became only the sixth player to score in his first four games for a club in the Premier League.

6. Sturridge can play either as a striker or out wide. In March 2012, he told Sky Sports: "Fitness-wise, it helps you so much playing on the wing as it's a completely different job - you do a lot more runs than you do up front. Thierry Henry played wide for Juventus and then went to Arsenal and played as a centre-forward."

7. In his first appearance of the 2011-12 campaign, Sturridge scored with a memorable back-heel in the 50th minute against Sunderland.

8. Sturridge has represented England at every level from U16 to U21 and full international. He netted in the final of the 2010 European U17 Championship against Italy.

9. The 22-year-old has Premier League, Champions League and two FA Cup winners' medals to his name.

10. Sturridge was named in Stuart Pearce's 18-man squad for the Great Britain Olympic football team to compete at the London 2012 Olympics this summer and the forward netted twice for Team GB including the match-winning goal against Uruguay.

Not a bad stat to have on your cv at 22.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #42: Jan 02, 2013 04:11:13 pm
      Now get one more quality player who can play through the right, We will be some team.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #43: Jan 02, 2013 04:11:23 pm

Full credit to the lad so, looks like he's here for the right reasons.

Ah balls! You win! :D
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #44: Jan 02, 2013 04:12:51 pm
      Daniel Sturridge: "I'd never refuse to play on the wing and I've never demanded to play up front, either!"

Selfish c**t :D,
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #45: Jan 02, 2013 04:31:01 pm
      Welcome to the club Danny, hopefully we'll see you scoring lots of goals for the years to come :)

Quick Reply