Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 495836 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #1932: Feb 25, 2015 10:51:56 am
      Being selfish is a striker's trademark, unless you're Emile, realising you don't always have to be selfish, even though it's your first instinct, is the sign of a great striker.  As for Sturridge of late, I think some of it is just him wanting to play catch up, after missing so much of the season, he'll soon lose some of that or he'll be on the end of regular abuse from his team mates.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1933: Feb 25, 2015 11:09:26 am
      shocked some of our fans are slagging him off calling him selfish when he's one of the best English strikers in the league if not the best and he's probably in the top 5 best strikers in the prem behind Agureo. he's been out for so long so is desperate to make up for lost time and i'm sure will still bag 10 goals from now till end of the season.
      next year he will be back bigger and stronger as he can have a decent summer to continue building and developing his recovery.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #1934: Feb 25, 2015 12:09:29 pm
      shocked some of our fans are slagging him off calling him selfish when he's one of the best English strikers in the league if not the best and he's probably in the top 5 best strikers in the prem behind Agureo. he's been out for so long so is desperate to make up for lost time and i'm sure will still bag 10 goals from now till end of the season.
      next year he will be back bigger and stronger as he can have a decent summer to continue building and developing his recovery.

It really is a joke how our fans can criticise Danny so soon after his long lay off. He's only back a handful of games and already has two goals and two assists. And this is before he even has full match fitness and sharpness back!
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #1935: Feb 25, 2015 04:27:41 pm
      Daniel Sturridge discussions could equally well fit in a transfer thread as he looks like a new signing for us.

Having a look at the way he finishes after Hendo's passing against Crystal Palace it's easy to realize how much he adds to the attack making it more lively,industrious and fresh.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1936: Feb 25, 2015 04:38:13 pm
      It really is a joke how our fans can criticise Danny so soon after his long lay off. He's only back a handful of games and already has two goals and two assists. And this is before he even has full match fitness and sharpness back!

I call it like I see it. Daniel Sturridge doesn't play for himself he plays for the team, the same team that shouldered the burden when he was injured for 5 months.
      He's had numerous chances to create since he came back and he's wasted opportunities. Would Suarez let him off with that? Would Messi let Suarez off with it?
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1937: Feb 25, 2015 04:41:49 pm
      I call it like I see it. Daniel Sturridge doesn't play for himself he plays for the team, the same team that shouldered the burden when he was injured for 5 months.
      He's had numerous chances to create since he came back and he's wasted opportunities. Would Suarez let him off with that? Would Messi let Suarez off with it?
      but all strikers are greedy its in there blood thats why they cost so much because goals win games, Sturridge has goals in him. Messi and Suarez on differnt planet but messi didnt let Suarez get a hatrick last night and missed a pen and follow up but to be a top player you have to take the shots, sometimes you miss but if good enough you mostly score. DS is good enough to have the nerve to take as many shots as he see fits as he is the best attacking player in our team its that simple bud.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1938: Feb 25, 2015 04:48:13 pm
      but all strikers are greedy its in there blood thats why they cost so much because goals win games, Sturridge has goals in him. Messi and Suarez on differnt planet but messi didnt let Suarez get a hatrick last night and missed a pen and follow up but to be a top player you have to take the shots, sometimes you miss but if good enough you mostly score. DS is good enough to have the nerve to take as many shots as he see fits as he is the best attacking player in our team its that simple bud.

I fully appreciate the best goal scorers are greedy and you accept.
      As I say a few posts ago my worry is who on the field is going to keep that side of his game in check? There needs to be a balance and it's been too far the one way since he returned.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1939: Feb 25, 2015 06:42:47 pm
      it's been too far the one way since he returned.

In the 3 games he started?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1940: Feb 25, 2015 07:42:10 pm
      Nothing to see here.. I'm delighted he's back, he's what we have missed

He is rusty and trying to force himself a little.. But show me a none selfish striker in the main and I'll show you a bad one

Massive for us having him back..
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1941: Feb 25, 2015 08:54:28 pm

He is rusty and trying to force himself a little.. But show me a none selfish striker in the main and I'll show you a bad one

My thoughts as well Si, his touch is a little off and he isn't seeing pictures the way he will another 5-6 games down the track. He will always be a bit of a selfish bugger but then aren't they all! I imagine he will have laid on his fare share by the end of the season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #1942: Feb 25, 2015 09:32:20 pm

Yep.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1943: Feb 26, 2015 05:46:03 pm

What about the amount of times Suarez would shoot instead of pass?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1944: Feb 26, 2015 08:49:58 pm
      What about the amount of times Suarez would shoot instead of pass?

Luis' 3rd goal at Cardiff! Raheem was pissed :laugh:
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #1945: Feb 26, 2015 09:18:45 pm
      You have to take the rough with the smooth with Sturridge. Greedy and irritating in recent matches, but he's still our main goal threat.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,193 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1946: Feb 26, 2015 09:40:28 pm
      Piss poor tonight he didn't even bother running, I mistook him for Balotelli on numerous occasions.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6741 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1947: Feb 27, 2015 04:25:17 am
      I honestly hope Brendan starts with Balo up front and Studge on the bench against Citeh.

Was piss poor tonight and didn't even look interested.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #1948: Feb 27, 2015 05:03:42 am
      last season he was like a tall sterling... a magical gazelle gliding across the pitch... he looks wrecked now for some reason, slow as sh*te, even his hair looks weird, like he can't be bothered doing anything with it. wonder what's going on with studge. wonder what his relationships with balo and raheem are like. maybe he's got a bit insecure knowing balotelli could take his central spot that he's been comfortable knowing he can slot straight back into.

i reckon our support has been dog sh*t for our attackers this season. heaping all the pressure on studge and raheem, insulting balotelli and lambert to no end, disgraceful really. balo looks like he's settling into our city and starting to love the red shirt, he has risen above our piss poor destruction of our own players. but the other two aren't that mentally strong, they both have distractions they're dealing with. i mean everyone does but you have to go out and do what you know you can do on the football field. a lot of our team is probably still too immature and emotional. they need proper balls like gerrard or balotelli have. seriously, if we love these guys so much why aren't there songs for them yet? because most of our supporters are too busy worrying about the future and when we'll next win the title, instead of supporting what's happening now. too busy waiting for these guys to f**k up so we can say "see?" instead of waiting for them to get rolling; in which case saying "see?" is much more satisfying, watching an underdog come good. haven't we always been the underdog in Liverpool? where has our character gone?
      « Last Edit: Feb 27, 2015 05:13:56 am by Del Boca Vista »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1949: Feb 27, 2015 07:54:53 am
      Me thinks it's not Balo that is making Daniel insecure, rather Harry Kane who is rapidly making a name for himself and a sure bet to start the next England game. With Rooney unstoppable in the eyes of the owl, hes either looking at a super sub role or being lumped out wide. We might not care about his England career, but don't believe for a minute he doesn't.

I'm willing to let last night slide although  he was really awful, he is still finding his feet. The sharpness and snap in his game just isn't there at present.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1950: Mar 01, 2015 01:28:48 am
      Personally not happy with the attitude he's come back with. Not sure if it's his dislike of Balo or what but I don't think I've seen him pass to him once.

He's taking on 3 or 4 players, maybe trying to find that old confidence and touch but then when he's had the chances he's chosen to switch inside on his left when it used to be he'd still take the strike on his right if the goal was open.

Needs to improve his team play, no harm in being slightly selfish as a striker, it's almost a pre-requisite for the role but there's a line that needs drawing and for me he's beyond that line by some distance at the moment.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,576 posts | 735 
      Reply #1951: Mar 01, 2015 10:57:06 pm
      i swear sometimes fans dont think players are actually human.

This man hadn't kicked a ball in 5 months. He was injured for a long time.

He's been back for 5 games, and apparently hasn't trained much so he's getting back to fitness though playing games.

Its going to take time. Give the man a chance.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6741 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1952: Mar 02, 2015 01:34:39 am
      I did like the way he warmed up yesterday before he came on. Really warmed up well to ensure (knock on wood) no more injuries.

Good precautions Doctors.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1953: Mar 02, 2015 12:57:40 pm
      fickle bunch we are
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1954: Mar 03, 2015 09:40:05 am
      Brendan Rodgers says Daniel Sturridge is close to full fitness and will play a crucial role in the Prem run-in this season.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-striker-daniel-sturridge-8756110

Quick Reply