Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 502910 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #2185: Sep 09, 2015 10:19:24 pm
      Would be a massive massive boost if he came back fit and stayed fit. He would IMHO displace every other striker in the league aside from Aguerro.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2186: Sep 09, 2015 10:25:28 pm
      Would be a massive massive boost if he came back fit and stayed fit. He would IMHO displace every other striker in the league aside from Aguerro.

Rodgers will probably play him as a wide forward supplying his lump up top  :f_tongueincheek:
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2187: Sep 09, 2015 10:36:12 pm
      Rodgers will probably play him as a wide forward supplying his lump up top  :f_tongueincheek:

:roll: Hmmm. I'll actually be really interested to see what Brendan DOES do if Sturridge gets fit. I've a hunch that the boss has a touch of the gambler about him, as well as being the type of fella who is gonna go down swinging if he's going at all. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a return to the 4-4-2 blitzkrieg football we saw when we had Suarez. No point dying wondering, I think he'll properly go for it. Just a guess mind.   
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2188: Sep 09, 2015 11:38:25 pm

:roll: Hmmm. I'll actually be really interested to see what Brendan DOES do if Sturridge gets fit. I've a hunch that the boss has a touch of the gambler about him, as well as being the type of fella who is gonna go down swinging if he's going at all. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a return to the 4-4-2 blitzkrieg football we saw when we had Suarez. No point dying wondering, I think he'll properly go for it. Just a guess mind.   

F***ing hope so mate. 4-4-2 let's give it a shot.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #2189: Sep 10, 2015 09:18:46 am
      This lad, when fit, outscored Rush, Fowler, Torres, Suarez - the lot of them.

We get him firing he will fire us up the table. Not only that he will open up space for everyone else in the team

Come on Danny.
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #2190: Sep 10, 2015 09:47:07 am
      This lad, when fit, outscored Rush, Fowler, Torres, Suarez - the lot of them.

We get him firing he will fire us up the table. Not only that he will open up space for everyone else in the team

Come on Danny.

How do you work that one out mate?
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #2191: Sep 10, 2015 10:45:06 am

his goals per game was better than all those at one point... not sure now but he is right!!
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #2192: Sep 10, 2015 11:33:28 am
      his goals per game was better than all those at one point... not sure now but he is right!!

I'll believe it when I see some statistics, Cant see him outscoring Torres and Suarez when on form.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #2193: Sep 10, 2015 11:52:36 am
      Great that he's training again but I'm a it worried we're going to rush him back into the site too quickly again.

Isn't that why we bought Benteke, Ings and Origi for?

Even if he's fit I wouldn't have him near the mancs game.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #2194: Sep 10, 2015 12:43:00 pm
      I'll believe it when I see some statistics, Cant see him outscoring Torres and Suarez when on form.

Here you go bud:

"When you look at Sturridge's goal tally per 90 minutes in the Premier League across his career a dramatically different picture emerges. He has scored an average of 0.69 league goals per 90 minutes. That puts him ahead of all the other great Liverpool strikers in the Premier League era, including Michael Owen (0.59 goals every 90 minutes), Fernando Torres (0.53), Robbie Fowler (0.52) and, yes, Suárez (0.64)."

"More impressively still, Sturridge's tally puts him above Robin van Persie (0.68 goals per 90 minutes), Alan Shearer (0.61) and Ronaldo (0.52) when he was in the Premier League. In fact, Opta's stats show that only three players in Premier League history have scored at a better rate than Sturridge: Agüero (0.78 per 90), Thierry Henry (0.74) and Ruud van Nistelrooy (0.70)."
      http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/feb/24/liverpool-daniel-sturridge-luis-suarez-england-world-cup
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #2195: Sep 10, 2015 12:51:21 pm
      Here you go bud:

"When you look at Sturridge's goal tally per 90 minutes in the Premier League across his career a dramatically different picture emerges. He has scored an average of 0.69 league goals per 90 minutes. That puts him ahead of all the other great Liverpool strikers in the Premier League era, including Michael Owen (0.59 goals every 90 minutes), Fernando Torres (0.53), Robbie Fowler (0.52) and, yes, Suárez (0.64)."

"More impressively still, Sturridge's tally puts him above Robin van Persie (0.68 goals per 90 minutes), Alan Shearer (0.61) and Ronaldo (0.52) when he was in the Premier League. In fact, Opta's stats show that only three players in Premier League history have scored at a better rate than Sturridge: Agüero (0.78 per 90), Thierry Henry (0.74) and Ruud van Nistelrooy (0.70)."
      http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/feb/24/liverpool-daniel-sturridge-luis-suarez-england-world-cup

Thanks for that bro, That's impressive!

That gives me confidence for when he's back in action, I really miss him and so is the team in general.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #2196: Sep 10, 2015 12:54:03 pm
      If he gets back fit he could totally transform the team - as would any of those strikers mentioned.

Despite the hundreds of million United spent last season we would have beaten them to 4th place had Sturridge managed to stay fit.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2197: Sep 10, 2015 01:00:44 pm
      Hate to put a dampener on the Sturridge love in as I was one of those who thought he'd be fantastic from the moment we signed him but:

He's had the advantage of playing alongside Suarez, Sterling and Gerrard in his time here. When he returns he wont only be massively off the pace but the team will have completely transformed from the side he flourished in. I wouldn't expect anything near the 0.69 per game from him for a good while, or ever unless we replace the supply line.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #2198: Sep 10, 2015 01:15:34 pm
      Perhaps you're right and he won't get as many chances however Firmino could be better than Sterling and Benteke could create as much space as Suarez since he ties up centre-backs who are terrified of him when he is on form. Also there is the small matter of:

"..who can blame Sturridge for letting fly when his shot conversion rate – the number of shots resulting in a goal – is 30%, better than Agüero (25.9%), Messi (23.7%), Suárez (22.3%) and Ronaldo (17.6%)."

So less of this:

and more of this:

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #2199: Sep 10, 2015 01:56:08 pm
      Any snaps of Stu back training with the team?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2200: Sep 10, 2015 02:31:58 pm
      Hate to put a dampener on the Sturridge love in as I was one of those who thought he'd be fantastic from the moment we signed him but:

He's had the advantage of playing alongside Suarez, Sterling and Gerrard in his time here. When he returns he wont only be massively off the pace but the team will have completely transformed from the side he flourished in. I wouldn't expect anything near the 0.69 per game from him for a good while, or ever unless we replace the supply line.

Agree on being off the pace for a while; it's to be expected after such a long layoff.

But don't forget Sturridge scored 8 in 12 at Bolton, being supplied by the likes of the world class Johan Elmander under managerial superstar Owen Coyle.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2201: Sep 10, 2015 02:47:41 pm
      Agree on being off the pace for a while; it's to be expected after such a long layoff.

But don't forget Sturridge scored 8 in 12 at Bolton, being supplied by the likes of the world class Johan Elmander under managerial superstar Owen Coyle.

Fair point TRM and I'm not in disagreement when HB suggests I'm being grumpy, I just don't see many positives for us at the moment.
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #2202: Sep 10, 2015 02:55:48 pm
      Fair point TRM and I'm not in disagreement when HB suggests I'm being grumpy, I just don't see many positives for us at the moment.

Bahh humbug
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #2203: Sep 10, 2015 03:26:56 pm
      For me Danny is a 20 goal a season player at almost any Premier League club.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #2204: Sep 10, 2015 05:15:26 pm
      When fit has to start - and with Benteke playing off him we could again have some real firepower... Question is when do we take that risk..?

I would only play him for 70 mins for a while (like before!) and then swap him for another player up top such as Ings or Origi. By that time he could have done the damage, or knackered out the defence to a point fresh legs will do damage...

Either way, cant wait to see him back in the starting 11...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #2205: Sep 10, 2015 05:16:57 pm
      For me Danny is a 20 goal a season player at almost any Premier League club in the world.

;)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2206: Sep 10, 2015 05:18:57 pm
      For me Danny is a 20 goal per 40-45 games a season player at almost any Premier League club, when fit.

;) ;D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2207: Sep 10, 2015 05:40:38 pm

;D it's cool, dude, no worries.

For me Danny is a 20 goal a season player at almost any Premier League club.

I think any club in the world as FL Red edited. Fitness, though, fitness.

Quick Reply