Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 495553 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #3243: May 07, 2016 01:55:21 pm
      Not much rhymes with Sturridge
      Courage
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3244: May 07, 2016 02:04:25 pm

Great, you have won the competition to write his new song mate... well done. Just post it when it's finished.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,565 posts | 730 
      Reply #3245: May 07, 2016 02:33:14 pm
      our fans are such turncoats. Half u mofos wanted him gone cause he's 'selfish' and 'arrogant' and 'thinks about himself' he scores a goal and suddenly he's a fan fave.

Lets see what happens if he has a dip in form for a few games, its gonna be 'he's not not world class' and 'his attitude stinks' 'he's lazy' and the body language experts will come out the woodwork.

SMH
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3246: May 07, 2016 02:34:50 pm
      Great, you have won the competition to write his new song mate... well done. Just post it when it's finished.

:lmao:

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #3247: May 07, 2016 02:51:17 pm
      our fans are such turncoats. Half u mofos wanted him gone cause he's 'selfish' and 'arrogant' and 'thinks about himself' he scores a goal and suddenly he's a fan fave.

Lets see what happens if he has a dip in form for a few games, its gonna be 'he's not not world class' and 'his attitude stinks' 'he's lazy' and the body language experts will come out the woodwork.

SMH
      And the other half of fans will defend him even if he tripped a little kid and stole his candy.

It's just how people are. I admit I was a bit down on him but it was more for his inability to stay healthy. Player can't do you much good if he's never able to play. Seems fine now so let's see where it takes us.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3248: May 07, 2016 03:38:43 pm
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #3249: May 07, 2016 04:40:12 pm
      People who think we could do without Sturridge would do well to remind themselves of some of the shocking strikers we've acquired over the last decade. People merely slag him off because they perceive him to be a sulking stick in the mud and that they read too many tabloid articles suggesting a rift between him and the manager.

We are lucky to have him. You don't know what you've got until you've lost it. I'd be more worried if he wasn't unhappy by being left out the first XI.

The guy suffers from the fact that he is one of the more intelligent footballers out there. His interviews show remarkable honesty and candidness, giving the impression of a fiercely independent guy who can speak up for himself, unlike the PR spun dickheads who are too thick to think for themselves (Sterling for example). I'm a big fan of him for that reason. He's obviously got huge faith in his ability and I don't doubt his dedication - maybe he suffers from an insecurity that the whole world is against him at times (doesn't help when fans are slagging him off) but his determination shines through when he speaks, and when he plays. A constant feeling that he needs to prove himself to others isn't helped when he is hampered by injuries, and I think that showed in his passionate celebration on Thursday - this guy cares deeply about the game he plays and he deserves the status of a great if he continues his goalscoring for Liverpool.

I mean, come on, he hasn't got that exceptional goalscoring record for Liverpool by being a lazy c*nt has he?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3250: May 07, 2016 05:01:27 pm
      Any team in the world, including Barcelona would be happy to have him.

Wouldn't go that far.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #3251: May 07, 2016 09:37:05 pm

Well considering he was unbelievable beside Suarez in 2014, then why not?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #3252: May 07, 2016 09:41:23 pm
      Nobody on here has doubted his ability but having played so few games over such a long time who wouldn't question how effective a member of the squad he is.
      Klopp has not only worked with him on his strength and fitness but also his game and he is an even better player for it.
      Klopp isn't going to build a team around him his teams consist of 11 players all integral to success. Danny is more than happy here so its a win win situation for everyone.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3253: May 07, 2016 09:54:20 pm
      Barcelona only have Messi, Suarez and Neymar as established strikers and they have Haddadi and Ramirez as backup. They don't have a very good fourth striker. We have Sturridge, Firmino, Origi with Benteke, Ings and Ojo as backup. When you consider Firmino is 24, Origi 21 and Sturridge 26... then look at the fact that Messi is 28, Suarez 29..... Barcelona like Real Madrid have done very well on the back of players like Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez... but they are aging.. Ronaldo is 31 now.. so providing we keep our players we will have one of the best striker forces around.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #3254: May 08, 2016 09:29:10 am
      More paper talk I know but I think it's time for JWH to dust off the 'what are they smoking at the Emirates' quote!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3255: May 08, 2016 11:00:26 am
      I think it's time we stopped worrying about losing our top talent now, regardless of what the papers would prefer us to think.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3256: May 08, 2016 11:33:11 am
      I think it's time we stopped worrying about losing our top talent now, regardless of what the papers would prefer us to think.

Under Klopp, I'm very confident of keeping our top players. As Sturridge said, we are building something special, and everyone can see it, even the opposition.
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2016 01:50:27 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3257: May 08, 2016 11:36:18 am
      Under Klopp, I'm very confident of keeping out top players. As Sturridge said, we are building something special, and everyone can see it, even the opposition.

Absolutely mate.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #3258: May 08, 2016 01:43:52 pm
      Under Klopp, I'm very confident of keeping out top players. As Sturridge said, we are building something special, and everyone can see it, even the opposition.

Can't say I agree...don't think Klopp will keep top players out at all ;D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3259: May 08, 2016 01:46:32 pm
      Can't say I agree...don't think Klopp will keep top players out at all ;D

He's managed to keep Benteke out for most of the season :)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3260: May 09, 2016 11:14:25 am
      Well considering he was unbelievable beside Suarez in 2014, then why not?

Because they have Messi and Neymar as well as Suarez. They wouldn't pay a load of money for a player that's as injury prone as Sturridge.

Barcelona only have Messi, Suarez and Neymar as established strikers and they have Haddadi and Ramirez as backup. They don't have a very good fourth striker. We have Sturridge, Firmino, Origi with Benteke, Ings and Ojo as backup. When you consider Firmino is 24, Origi 21 and Sturridge 26... then look at the fact that Messi is 28, Suarez 29..... Barcelona like Real Madrid have done very well on the back of players like Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez... but they are aging.. Ronaldo is 31 now.. so providing we keep our players we will have one of the best striker forces around.

Ojo and Origi, despite showing good signs are still only nippers, for all we know they might not get any better. Firmino isn't a striker and Benteke will probably be sold. Ings was looking good before his injury but a lot of players struggle after doing their knee so he might not have that sharpness to his game when he returns, we will just have to wait and see.

Only Messi, Neymar and Suarez...yeah and no established 4th choice, yet they felt comfortable enough selling on both Sanchez and Pedro. They will no doubt have somebody in the ranks more than capable of filling in just like Bojan, Cuenca, Tello and whoever else has done over the years now.

I'm not questioning Sturridge' ability in the slightest, he's a proven goal scorer but I just wouldn't go so far as saying the likes of Barca would even want him because if that was the case they would have gone for him and Suarez after their incredible season together.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #3261: May 09, 2016 11:55:39 am

I'll stop worrying when FSG stop selling them Debbs! Sturridge is our most valuable asset at the minute, the trend so far has been to cash in on our top players so far. I really hope those days are over now that we don't need to sell to buy, and we already have a fewlimps of dead wood to top up the kitty.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3262: May 09, 2016 12:38:30 pm
      I'll stop worrying when FSG stop selling them Debbs! Sturridge is our most valuable asset at the minute, the trend so far has been to cash in on our top players so far. I really hope those days are over now that we don't need to sell to buy, and we already have a fewlimps of dead wood to top up the kitty.

I get what you're saying mate but we've only sold 2 in the last 2 seasons and both of them wanted out. 

I was meaning more that our top talent shouldn't want to leave now, as Daniel himself said, we're about to become something quite special.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #3263: May 09, 2016 01:05:30 pm
      I get what you're saying mate but we've only sold 2 in the last 2 seasons and both of them wanted out. 

I was meaning more that our top talent shouldn't want to leave now, as Daniel himself said, we're about to become something quite special.

Well if there is a player in our team that doesn't want to play under Klopp, they're crazy for sure. Klopp will make Sturridge into an even bigger star.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3264: May 09, 2016 01:14:22 pm
      Well if there is a player in our team that doesn't want to play under Klopp, they're crazy for sure. Klopp will make Sturridge into an even bigger star.

Precisely mate.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #3265: May 09, 2016 04:40:47 pm
      It's a good thing (some ways) to see Studge linked with big bids from other clubs because it means he is injury free and scoring goals. Same goes for any of our players. The more our players are coveted by other teams the better we must be doing as a club. The challenge for the club now is to figure out what they want to do with Daniel's contract, he will be entering the final two seasons of his current deal come the summer, he is obviously on good wages (rumoured to be 150k per week I believe?) however, much of this has been dead money because he hasn't been available for selection. Of course, when he is fit and firing he is worth every last penny in the current market. Will FSG have the balls to begin new contract negotiations with the lad? Most top sides will begin speaking with players as they go into the final 2 years and a failure to do so usually risks the player/agent to court offers from other clubs.

Quick Reply