Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 491363 times
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #4140: May 16, 2017 01:40:31 pm
      We would surely be getting rid of Ings who has in effect been a bigger sick note than Sturridge not available for two years!

Use his £60K a week to supplement a top striker.
      Sturridge can be kept for playing against the bottom feeders and in this case might just stay injury free.

Origi 3rd choice plus Firmino and U23 talent can supplement.
      Origi is the only one who should be getting sold . I agree with keeping Sturridge and starting him sparingly as well as a top striker being brought in. Also Defoe on a free ? Looks after himself and still looks sharp , considering we are going to have more games next season i think Defoe is not a bad option to have on the bench.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #4141: May 16, 2017 01:58:26 pm
      Yes, we need to keep Sturridge. Why anyone would even consider moving him out of this club is beyond me. He has proven himself time and time again, and we need that talent. I'd be prepared to risk another season and see how he gets on. Even playing 50% of games, he is brilliant and we need that class.

If however (and it's a big if), we bring in an incredible world class talented footballer, and so much so that Sturridge's place is in doubt, then we can consider a future without him.

As it stands, that is highly unlikely and we should not be pushing to get rid, just because of his injury record. What other options do we have? We need to strengthen our squad, and that means bringing in fresh (world class) talent whilst retaining the talent that we have.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4142: May 16, 2017 02:53:12 pm

Even playing 50% of games, he is brilliant and we need that class.

Don't think has even played 25% of the season for the last 2 years so be damn lucky to get 50% out of him.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #4143: May 16, 2017 02:58:35 pm
      OK Sturridge is brilliant when on form and fit. But let's not pretend before the last game every time he played he was immense, because it is simply not true. The last several cameo's he has had he has looked lethargic and a shadow of his old self.

Perhaps the reason for the great display last time out was  because of the time on the bench, he has recently had.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #4144: May 16, 2017 07:08:24 pm
      OK Sturridge is brilliant when on form and fit. But let's not pretend before the last game every time he played he was immense, because it is simply not true. The last several cameo's he has had he has looked lethargic and a shadow of his old self.

Perhaps the reason for the great display last time out was  because of the time on the bench, he has recently had.

Because he wasn't fit. Let's not pretend it was otherwise. A fit Sturridge puts the fear of god into defenders. Besides, it's not like Origi has been red hot this season despite playing a hell of a lot more games than Sturridge so if we were to sell any I'd rather go with the lesser strikers, starting with Ings.

As for keeping or selling him, it comes down to a simple thing. Big clubs do not sell players who can make radical impacts in their performances until such time as they're able to replace that player with one who can make an equal, or better impact. If we want to be a big club we need to start thinking like a big club. We need the highest quality players in the squad so Klopp can stop being so tactically one dimensional and have options for both specific types of games and from the bench. Forget about his wages, focus on his potential impact. Playing a 4-3-3 with Firmino through the middle is good against teams who will come out and attack, usually in the first half of the season and against the top six clubs, but having a player whose game intelligence is capable of slicing open defences is helpful against teams that want to park the bus, especially the lower half of the table during the second half of the season were the fear of relegation means every point counts.

Danny Ings has spent even more time on the treatment table the last two years than Sturridge and the only reason no one suggests he be sold is because he's on substantially less wages, but the reason he's on substantially less wages is because he's a substantially less talented player. Where is the sense in keeping the lesser talent and selling your greater talent? So unless you come to me with a player of equal or greater talent than Sturridge, and FSG are willing to pay him £150K a week to get him over the line, then we shouldn't be thinking of selling one of our most talented players, regardless of injury susceptibility. The most successful clubs build their squads by buying players who are better than the ones they have, not by keeping those who are worse.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4145: May 16, 2017 07:54:08 pm
      I like Sturridge and I believe that we as fans do not show our full admiration towards him. I would sell him if we only get a better and fitter striker, a well proven striker.

I would keep him for another season if we are in the Champions League because his quality will be needed in Europe with slower central defenders.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #4146: May 16, 2017 09:00:27 pm
      Because he wasn't fit. Let's not pretend it was otherwise. A fit Sturridge puts the fear of god into defenders. Besides, it's not like Origi has been red hot this season despite playing a hell of a lot more games than Sturridge so if we were to sell any I'd rather go with the lesser strikers, starting with Ings.

As for keeping or selling him, it comes down to a simple thing. Big clubs do not sell players who can make radical impacts in their performances until such time as they're able to replace that player with one who can make an equal, or better impact. If we want to be a big club we need to start thinking like a big club. We need the highest quality players in the squad so Klopp can stop being so tactically one dimensional and have options for both specific types of games and from the bench. Forget about his wages, focus on his potential impact. Playing a 4-3-3 with Firmino through the middle is good against teams who will come out and attack, usually in the first half of the season and against the top six clubs, but having a player whose game intelligence is capable of slicing open defences is helpful against teams that want to park the bus, especially the lower half of the table during the second half of the season were the fear of relegation means every point counts.

Danny Ings has spent even more time on the treatment table the last two years than Sturridge and the only reason no one suggests he be sold is because he's on substantially less wages, but the reason he's on substantially less wages is because he's a substantially less talented player. Where is the sense in keeping the lesser talent and selling your greater talent? So unless you come to me with a player of equal or greater talent than Sturridge, and FSG are willing to pay him £150K a week to get him over the line, then we shouldn't be thinking of selling one of our most talented players, regardless of injury susceptibility. The most successful clubs build their squads by buying players who are better than the ones they have, not by keeping those who are worse.

Mate my point was him being on the bench (having a rest) may explain his recent performance, as in his got fitter by being a sub and resting longer.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #4149: May 19, 2017 05:20:59 pm
      Sturry is our best finisher by a mile
      He is injured all the dam time
      when playing he doesn't seem to suit the style of play at present due to his lack of running and pressing

Only Firmino can compete to some degree in terms of - he suits our style in terms of pressing and running

Origi is simply useless
      Ings is no where near his level and seems to get horrendous injuries

we should be looking at the likes of patrick aubameyang as the top target then working our way down to other targets, not the other way around

Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #4150: May 21, 2017 07:00:25 pm
      Apparently said after the game that he wants to stay. I'd be more than happy as long as we get a striker, we are going to need that strength in depth next season.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4151: May 21, 2017 07:44:33 pm
      It will be a bad decision to keep him in my opinion. He's good enough and up there with the best on his day. However, we all know he'll spend more time on medical table than he will on the pitch. Very frustrating for the fans, We had the same problem with Hargreaves.

If I owned the club I'd cash in and get another striker.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4152: May 21, 2017 08:04:44 pm
      It will be a bad decision to keep him in my opinion. He's good enough and up there with the best on his day. However, we all know he'll spend more time on medical table than he will on the pitch. Very frustrating for the fans, We had the same problem with Hargreaves.

If I owned the club I'd cash in and get another striker.

It's going to be a very tough decision either way IMO. We have a group of strikers that for one reason or another won't score a lot of goals during the season. Sturridge always injured, Origi not consistent enough, Ings always injured and Firmino isn't a natural goalscorer. If we are to sign a top striker then maybe Sturridge does get moved on.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how much we would really get for him after pretty much a nothing season and IF he can play a few more games next season with a few less injuries then maybe the price gets bigger?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4153: May 21, 2017 08:12:16 pm
      It's going to be a very tough decision either way IMO. We have a group of strikers that for one reason or another won't score a lot of goals during the season. Sturridge always injured, Origi not consistent enough, Ings always injured and Firmino isn't a natural goalscorer. If we are to sign a top striker then maybe Sturridge does get moved on.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how much we would really get for him after pretty much a nothing season and IF he can play a few more games next season with a few less injuries then maybe the price gets bigger?

As a United fan I hope you keep him  :D Seriously though the lads a nightmare to keep fit. You probably pay more in medical bills than you do in wages for sturridge. Combine his wages & medical bills and you'll be able to afford another striker to go alone with Mane.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4154: May 21, 2017 09:00:33 pm
      As a United fan I hope you keep him  :D Seriously though the lads a nightmare to keep fit. You probably pay more in medical bills than you do in wages for sturridge. Combine his wages & medical bills and you'll be able to afford another striker to go alone with Mane.

I think you're right Keith. If it was guaranteed that Sturridge would be fit for 30-40 games next season I would absolutely love to see him stay. But history has shown, particularly the last three years, that that won't happen and so Klopp has to go about this summer in search of a replacement and that he probably should be sold. Harsh but true.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #4155: May 21, 2017 09:21:08 pm
      Don't forget Studge was available for good chunks of the season but simply wasn't getting a look in, and when he did he often looked well off the pace. He has certainly looked sharp the last few games and it seemed to me he has looked liter and quicker on his feet since coming back into the side. I think the market will dictate whether he stays or goes. He's on a pretty hefty contract so he'll only go if someone is willing to pay a transfer fee and meet his wages. So long as we go and sign a quality number 9 I'm more than happy to see Studge stay, particularly as there will be more games to deal with next season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #4156: May 21, 2017 09:55:38 pm
      Thought he was poor today. Just does not work hard enough around the pitch. 

Definitely not in Klopp's long term plans. 

Not sure how much he's on, not sure he'd get the same amount elsewhere, and seeing as he is hardly being denied opportunities (as he is always injured, or recovering) I could definitely see a situation where through a lack of motivation and interest he is at Anfield next season. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4157: May 21, 2017 10:07:07 pm
      Thought he was poor today. Just does not work hard enough around the pitch. 

Definitely not in Klopp's long term plans. 

Not sure how much he's on, not sure he'd get the same amount elsewhere, and seeing as he is hardly being denied opportunities (as he is always injured, or recovering) I could definitely see a situation where through a lack of motivation and interest he is at Anfield next season. 

Pretty much spot on this.

I'm still far from convinced that a fully for Sturridge is what Jürgen is after but like you say the circumstances surrounding Danny means I wouldn't be surprised if he's still here next season.

If he is I don't expect him to start regularly.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4158: May 21, 2017 10:20:48 pm
      Anyone see Sturridge arrive late for the lap of honour and limping towards the group? Must be injured again :(
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #4159: May 22, 2017 06:08:00 am
      We should cash in on him while we still can.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #4160: May 25, 2017 09:20:30 am
      Anyone see Sturridge arrive late for the lap of honour and limping towards the group? Must be injured again :(

Yup

indeed he is

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/daniel-sturridge-liverpool-future-update-13088272
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #4161: May 25, 2017 09:54:50 am
      Hilarious.

So now Sturridge is "injured" and "playing through the pain barrier" but yet plays perfectly well in the friendly just as planned.
       ;D

Liverpool fans and the Echo always looking to get the boot in. Criticise him when he's out, criticise him when he plays.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4162: May 25, 2017 10:41:18 am

Can't see any of you being surprised with his latest injury.  Will say again! Get rid of him Asap. You'll save on medical bills as well as getting another striker. Keep him and this will be a major major mistake for your CL campaign 2017/18

Quick Reply