Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 491409 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #4324: Sep 26, 2017 10:43:34 pm
      Talk about putting yourself in the shop window as far as getting a start after he came on eh? He was absolutely f****** garbage too, although I do sympathize that he's being expected to find form and rhythm despite never getting a run of games. Despite all that though, sh!te tonight.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #4325: Sep 27, 2017 09:13:16 am
      Talk about putting yourself in the shop window as far as getting a start after he came on eh? He was absolutely f****** garbage too, although I do sympathize that he's being expected to find form and rhythm despite never getting a run of games. Despite all that though, sh!te tonight.

It's a cache 22 isn't it, a fit and firing sturridge would be a great front man to change the set up a bit and build around.

But you risk ruining the team dynamic of what we're used to because if/when he gets injured you are forced to change your style again.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4326: Sep 27, 2017 10:34:22 am
      It's a cache 22 isn't it, a fit and firing sturridge would be a great front man to change the set up a bit and build around.

But you risk ruining the team dynamic of what we're used to because if/when he gets injured you are forced to change your style again.

I don't really buy this "fits our style" bollocks. It's been spouted so often on here people accept it as the truth, but I don't go for it. Our "style" last night would have benefitted from having a natural goalscorer who could put the ball in the back of the net, there were numerous opportunities to do so. Our "style" would benefit from having someone who anticipates things in the box, someone who scores goals more often than occasionally when they're playing centre forward, someone who goes in where it hurts, perish the thought someone who can hold the ball when it's played up to them, all those things would benefit our "style" immeasurably from where I'm sitting.

The way people go on about Bobby on here, you get the impression that if we got the opportunity to buy Harry Kane they'd reject it as a bad idea as it wouldn't suit our "style". They'd reject it as a bad idea because even though Kane is a proper centre forward who scores very heavily, his presence would mean that Salah and Mane wouldn't score.

It's all bollocks. The ONLY thing which Firmino does regularly that a Sturridge doesn't, is run around and close people down like his life depends on it (although he didn't even do that yesterday). other than that, the coming out of the position, the drifting wide, the "assisting", the "awareness" etc Strurridge can do just as well. In terms of anticipation, goal threat etc there truly is no comparison. Like Beer said, I'd like to see Sturridge given a go with our FIRST CHOICE wide men as opposed to a cardboard cutout at left wing. My guess is that until he gets injured he'd score far more regularly than Firmino.   
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4327: Sep 27, 2017 01:32:52 pm
      :lmao:

Sturridge, after coming on and missing sitters can suddenly do everything Firmino can do, what a load of bollocks. Let's see him creating the most chances in open play, let's see him make the selfless runs that Firmino makes every single game. Let's see him link play from back to front as effectively, not even close, that's before we get onto the supposed negative that "he runs a lot".

So apart from being quicker, running more, creating more chances, providing more assists, doing more defensive work, winning more aerial duels, tackling more, intercepting more, tracking runners more, Sturridge can do equally or more we're told. Let's forget all that though, Sturridge is obviously more clinical we're told, despite the fact he had comparable chances last night yet neither of his hit the target and Bobby's brought about a good save from their keeper. Sturridge had equally good chances in the game previous too and failed to convert those also. Strikers miss good chances all the time, including the 'clinical' Sturridge, the difference with Bobby in the team and Sturridge is that with Bobby we will create far more opportunities to score and that is a simple fact.

Sad little vendetta being played out here, same poster was more concerned with typing sh*t about Firmino and bigging up Sturridge than he was in our first away CL game, pathetic.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #4328: Sep 27, 2017 01:42:46 pm

Sturridge, after coming on and missing sitters can suddenly do everything Firmino can do, what a load of bollocks. Let's see him creating the most chances in open play, let's see him make the selfless runs that Firmino makes every single game. Let's see him link play from back to front as effectively, not even close, that's before we get onto the supposed negative that "he runs a lot".

So apart from being quicker, running more, creating more chances, providing more assists, doing more defensive work, winning more aerial duels, tackling more, intercepting more, tracking runners more, Sturridge can do equally or more we're told. Let's forget all that though, Sturridge is obviously more clinical we're told, despite the fact he had comparable chances last night yet neither of his hit the target and Bobby's brought about a good save from their keeper. Sturridge had equally good chances in the game previous too and failed to convert those also. Strikers miss good chances all the time, including the 'clinical' Sturridge, the difference with Bobby in the team and Sturridge is that with Bobby we will create far more opportunities to score and that is a simple fact.

Sad little vendetta being played out here, same poster was more concerned with typing sh*t about Firmino and bigging up Sturridge than he was in our first away CL game, pathetic.

Same with the narrative being pushed by the same people about "the TC", which is strange, because Klopp has already stated multiple times he has pretty much total control over transfers, and that's on top of him bringing in his own scouts and analysts.

It comes down to "I trust Jürgen, but... I'm going to ignore what he says when it suits me to do so"

Bizarre

No doubt there are "clinical strikers" who could improve our front line, but Sturridge unfortunately isn't one of them.
      Great player, but he has a different skill set than the one that Klopp requires, which is why Firmino gets the games.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #4329: Sep 27, 2017 01:56:41 pm

It's absolutely exhausting and of putting having to battle with the same few idiots with a F***ing agenda.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #4330: Sep 27, 2017 02:14:06 pm
      I like Studg, be he just doesn't fit. To much ISO and not enough passing. When we are right we make the extra pass and move well without the ball. Daniel doesn't do that. All he does is look to score. Those calling for Bobby's head and wanting Daniel to start over him are silly!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #4331: Sep 27, 2017 02:23:29 pm
      I like Studg, be he just doesn't fit. To much ISO and not enough passing. When we are right we make the extra pass and move well without the ball. Daniel doesn't do that. All he does is look to score. Those calling for Bobby's head and wanting Daniel to start over him are silly!

That's what strikers generally do.

And no, those who would like to see Daniel start a few games are not silly, far from it.

The only people who are being silly are those who are having a coronary over a difference of opinion.

DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #4332: Sep 27, 2017 02:33:40 pm
      It's absolutely exhausting and of putting having to battle with the same few idiots with a f**king agenda.

Must be exhausting watching Firmino play whilst trying to think of new ingenious excuses to defend his performances to those with the agenda..  ;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #4333: Sep 27, 2017 02:37:25 pm
      Still our most natural finisher who just had one of those games, not sure if he is up to playing regularly as a starter hence why Klopp brings him on a sub.
      Should have come on earlier last night as you can pretty much tell with Firmino if he starts off badly he will stink the place out.

Hopefully Firmino was kept on last night as he will be dropped to the bench at the weekend and Sturridge starts, will also give Bobby a rest.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #4334: Sep 27, 2017 02:41:48 pm

And no, those who would like to see Daniel start a few games are not silly, far from it.

The only people who are being silly are those who are having a coronary over a difference of opinion.

I really like Bobby - he's a grafter, has a little bit of stardust now and again mixed with a first touch that literally veers from the sublime to the ridiculous......oft in the same game!

However - I think with his style his physical condition needs managing and personally I've no problem with Danny getting a few starts through the middle.

Makes good sense. It's just sound rotation and gets Bobby sharp again whilst giving Danny a chance to do what he does best - stick the ball in the pokey. Remember the international breaks for the South Americans are no picnic either in terms of physical recuperation.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #4335: Sep 27, 2017 02:53:16 pm

I agree. You and I differ and that's fine. The silly people are those who loved Bobby until 10 days ago and act like Studg is all of a sudden light years better. I'm not saying you are one of these silly people, but rather that they do exist. When Studg comes in other players disappear, and not by their own doing. Our attack will be better if we look to link up and attack the box. Daniel is a skilled player, and in a different system and with a clean bill of health he could be a top striker. However, I feel he just muddles up our attack when he comes in. However, maybe he does just need more time with the top dogs. I'm okay with seeing him more. Maybe run a Christmas tree form? Cant do that with Bobby, but can with Dan.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #4336: Sep 27, 2017 03:09:44 pm

He's a striker and not a 'space creator'.. he's played as a striker and should be judged on what a striker does -> score goals.. anything else should be a bonus and not to be used as an excuse when he's missing sitters.

I don't have anything against Firmino, I think he is decent in that role giving the fact that he is an attacking midfielder playing there and I definitely don't have have an agenda bigging up Sturridge.. I actually think he should have been sold in the summer with another striker being bought.

One thing is obvious and that is both of them aren't good enough for a title challenge.. saw a stat that we scored 6 times from 126 chances or something like that.. let's put Aubameyang/Lewandowski/Torres/Suarez in Firmino's place.. surely the stat is not the same now ???
      « Last Edit: Sep 27, 2017 03:22:02 pm by fckmediocrity »
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #4337: Sep 27, 2017 03:12:18 pm
      Bobby needs some rest as he has been playing continuously. He has not been in great form either in the recent past.
      Studge is fit (not sure for how much longer) and needs a run of games anyway.
      Can't we settle this amicably? :)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4338: Sep 27, 2017 03:40:11 pm
      Got to laugh at these lads and their "agendas". My only agenda is that I think the bloke who plays centre forward ought to provide a goal threat.

Firmino is currently the Brazilian Emile Heskey ;D.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4339: Sep 27, 2017 03:42:07 pm
      He's a striker and not a 'space creator'.. he's played as a striker and should be judged on what a striker does -> score goals.. anything else should be a bonus and not to be used as an excuse when he's missing sitters.

I don't have anything against Firmino, I think he is decent in that role giving the fact that he is an attacking midfielder playing there and I definitely don't have have an agenda bigging up Sturridge.. I actually think he should have been sold in the summer with another striker being bought.

One thing is obvious and that is both of them aren't good enough for a title challenge.. saw a stat that we scored 6 times from 126 chances or something like that.. let's put Aubameyang/Lewandowski/Torres/Suarez in Firmino's place.. surely the stat is not the same now ???

Well considering I said we should go for Aubameyang in the summer I guess we agree in some ways. Suarez is clearly out of reach, but he would have been ideal, Torres is way past it and Lewandowski again is out of reach.

See I disagree when it comes to Firmino, I think he's a creator more than a goal scorer, hence why he plays the false 9 role, hence why he does indeed create so many chances (doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves on this one). I've no problem with putting a pure number 9 in there either but if people think we get the same amount of goals/chances created for Mane/Salah then they're quite simply wrong and are pushing an agenda. Strikers are naturally selfish, they don't create nearly the same chances as they need providing for them and usually only create chances for themselves. This is where I see the likes of Sanchez/Suarez/Firmino in a different league to others because they do create as much or more than they score.

Now I've no problem with people saying that Bobby isn't clinical enough, because that is clearly the case but when they start pretending that Sturridge can do all the things Firmino can do plus also score more I draw the line because at that point they're quite simply talking complete and utter bollocks.

Firmino on form is one of the best players in the entire league but he has had a dip recently and his last two performances have been poor, but using that as a narrative to pretend Sturridge would be this great all around player, again, it's boring and nothing more than silliness. The player who could come in and actually do a job is probably Solanke and if we were to drop Bobby for a rest then I'd like to see him start. The basis behind this is that Sturridge has had a couple of starts recently and has looked underwhelming, from the start of a game his lack of pace and stamina are both much more clear as he plays against players full of energy. When he comes on later in the game these deficiencies which are now clear in his game are more easily hidden and he is a potent threat, as we have seen in recent times. While Sturridge's fans cling onto the hope he can return to being the player he was with Suarez (1 season out of how many?!?), the truth is that was lightning in a bottle that year and injuries have robbed him of pace, confidence in himself and he is what he is.

We either accept that and move on to use him as best we can or we keep pushing this boring and predictable, circular, agenda.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4340: Sep 27, 2017 03:46:21 pm
      This is where I see Sanchez/Suarez/Firmino in a different league?!  :lmao:

Sanchez and Suarez are in a different stratosphere to Bobby Luke, never mind league  :lmao:.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #4341: Sep 27, 2017 04:06:58 pm
      Well considering I said we should go for Aubameyang in the summer I guess we agree in some ways. Suarez is clearly out of reach, but he would have been ideal, Torres is way past it and Lewandowski again is out of reach.

See I disagree when it comes to Firmino, I think he's a creator more than a goal scorer, hence why he plays the false 9 role, hence why he does indeed create so many chances (doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves on this one). I've no problem with putting a pure number 9 in there either but if people think we get the same amount of goals/chances created for Mane/Salah then they're quite simply wrong and are pushing an agenda. Strikers are naturally selfish, they don't create nearly the same chances as they need providing for them and usually only create chances for themselves. This is where I see the likes of Sanchez/Suarez/Firmino in a different league to others because they do create as much or more than they score.

Now I've no problem with people saying that Bobby isn't clinical enough, because that is clearly the case but when they start pretending that Sturridge can do all the things Firmino can do plus also score more I draw the line because at that point they're quite simply talking complete and utter bollocks.

Firmino on form is one of the best players in the entire league but he has had a dip recently and his last two performances have been poor, but using that as a narrative to pretend Sturridge would be this great all around player, again, it's boring and nothing more than silliness. The player who could come in and actually do a job is probably Solanke and if we were to drop Bobby for a rest then I'd like to see him start. The basis behind this is that Sturridge has had a couple of starts recently and has looked underwhelming, from the start of a game his lack of pace and stamina are both much more clear as he plays against players full of energy. When he comes on later in the game these deficiencies which are now clear in his game are more easily hidden and he is a potent threat, as we have seen in recent times. While Sturridge's fans cling onto the hope he can return to being the player he was with Suarez (1 season out of how many?!?), the truth is that was lightning in a bottle that year and injuries have robbed him of pace, confidence in himself and he is what he is.

We either accept that and move on to use him as best we can or we keep pushing this boring and predictable, circular, agenda.

Well I've picked Aubameyang/Lewandowski because Klopp had them at Dortmund as strikers with Reus, Gotze, Dembele or Mikhtarian behind them at different times, that clearly worked and I think we can emulate it here with Mane Salah Coutinho and even Firmino behind a pure striker - as for Suarez/Torres I was referring to their time here and how a striker of their type could help us more to convert those created chances.

Also you're worried that the wingers won't score as much if we have a pure number 9 but IMO their job should be to create chances for the striker to convert and not the other way around.. it's cool if he has the ocassional assist but the striker should be focused on scoring goals and not creating chances.. that's the job of a midfielder/winger.

Wouldn't you prefer to have a striker at the end of those created chances rather than a winger or midfielder ?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4342: Sep 27, 2017 04:11:16 pm
      Well I've picked Aubameyang/Lewandowski because Klopp had them at Dortmund as strikers with Reus, Gotze, Dembele or Mikhtarian behind them at different times, that clearly worked and I think we can emulate it here with Mane Salah Coutinho and even Firmino behind a pure striker - as for Suarez/Torres I was referring to their time here and how a striker of their type could help us more to convert those created chances.

Also you're worried that the wingers won't score as much if we have a pure number 9 but IMO their job should be to create chances for the striker to convert and not the other way around.. it's cool if he has the ocassional assist but the striker should be focused on scoring goals and not creating chances.. that's the job of a midfielder/winger.

Wouldn't you prefer to have a striker at the end of those created chances rather than a winger or midfielder ?

What's this strikers scoring goals stuff? Some sort of witchcraft?

Older fans will remember the same debate over Emile Heskey, "runs around a lot, appreciated by his teammates, unseen work etc etc". Strikers must score goals, if they don't, get them out of the team and get someone in who does.

Very similar with goalkeepers. Goalkeepers who don't save shots get criticised, strikers who don't score with them ought to get the same treatment.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4343: Sep 27, 2017 04:16:36 pm

This is the thing that is so typical of the English mentality - 'he's an x so he should do this and not that'. Such conservative, pigeon holed, regimented bullshit thinking (then again this is the land of Hodgson...the land before time). Who says he shouldn't be a 'space creator' or whatever it's called? If you don't think creating space or the concept of space in a football match is important then you should go on Soccer Saturday and sit alongside the rest of those lobotomised wankers.

For what it's worth, I don't judge Firmino on just how many goals he scores. I'll judge him on exactly how he contributes to our attacking moves and how he can work with those around him and how he brings them into the game. By comparison, Sturridge, while a great goalscorer (but sadly not reliable enough due to his awful injury record) just isn't selfless enough to commit to the sort of work rate that is so dependent on making our attack work to the maximum. Firmino is.

Ok - we haven't score nearly enough in the last few games so there's definitely an issue and while Roberto's lack of form is one thing (he had an absolute shocker last night - atrocious), chopping and changing the attacking lineup because of injury and suspension has certainly not helped our goal scoring side of things lately. But since Klopp has arrived and as evidenced in many matches in the first half of last season where we were scoring 4 to 5 goals quite regularly, Firmino was absolutely central to those scorelines. He's shown in the past just how important he is when everything is settled and on form.
      « Last Edit: Sep 27, 2017 04:25:12 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #4344: Sep 27, 2017 04:22:14 pm
      This is where I see Sanchez/Suarez/Firmino in a different league?!  :lmao:

Sanchez and Suarez are in a different stratosphere to Bobby Luke, never mind league  :lmao:.
      That was a poor comparison from Luke!  2 of those score loads as well as create loads; spot the odd one out....
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4345: Sep 27, 2017 04:24:06 pm

I'd reply to this, but honestly just read Frankly, Mr Shankly's post, says it better than I could, top post by him as usual.

This is the thing that is so typical of the English mentality - 'he's an x so he should do this and not that'. Such conservative, pigeon holed, regimented bullshit thinking (then again this is the land of Hodgson...the land before time). Who says he shouldn't be a 'space creator' or whatever it's called? If you don't think creating space or the concept of space in a football match isn't important then you should go on Soccer Saturday and sit alongside the rest of those lobotomised wankers.

For what it's worth, I don't judge Firmino on just how many goals he scores. I'll judge him on exactly how he contributes to our attacking moves and how he can work with those around him and how he brings them into the game. By comparison, Sturridge, while a great goalscorer (but sadly not reliable enough due to his awful injury record) just isn't selfless enough to commit to the sort of work rate that is so dependent on making our attack work to the maximum. Firmino is.

Ok - we haven't score nearly enough in the last few games so there's definitely an issue and while Roberto's lack of form is one thing (he had an absolute shocker last night - atrocious), chopping and changing the attacking lineup because of injury and suspension has certainly not helped our goal scoring side of things lately. But since Klopp has arrived and as evidenced in many matches in the first half of last season where we were scoring 4 to 5 goals quite regularly, Firmino was absolutely central to those scorelines. He's shown in the past just how important he is when everything is settled and on form.

Edit: Stuck in the post as we went onto a new page.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #4346: Sep 27, 2017 04:25:20 pm
      What's this strikers scoring goals stuff? Some sort of witchcraft?

Older fans will remember the same debate over Emile Heskey, "runs around a lot, appreciated by his teammates, unseen work etc etc". Strikers must score goals, if they don't, get them out of the team and get someone in who does.

Very similar with goalkeepers. Goalkeepers who don't save shots get criticised, strikers who don't score with them ought to get the same treatment.

Doesn't really matter who scores the goals, you don't get more points if a striker puts it into the net.

However there is a issue for the occasions like last night when the wingers are misfiring. A clinical No 9 grabs a goal out of somewhere.
      Sadio and Mo will score a lot of goals this season in games where we thrash teams but when you are in need of someone to pull a rabbit out of the hat? Sturridge used to be that striker and maybe in cameo's he still can.
      Not going to get many games when all of our front line are so wasteful in the same game.

Quick Reply