Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 491415 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #4692: Jul 25, 2018 04:02:01 pm

From experience the statement is correct.
      The players bought have been acquired with profits from the likes of Coutinho etc, here's that word again 'obviously' the funds in that context have been exhausted or are dwindling because of a need to prioritise for the sake of finance; that raises the question of our owner's confidence in LFC and willingness to invest their own dosh in a very viable concern.
      Kopite78
      Reply #4693: Jul 25, 2018 04:43:00 pm
      From experience the statement is correct.
      The players bought have been acquired with profits from the likes of Coutinho etc, here's that word again 'obviously' the funds in that context have been exhausted or are dwindling because of a need to prioritise for the sake of finance; that raises the question of our owner's confidence in LFC and willingness to invest their own dosh in a very viable concern.

I'm not an FSG fan boy by any stretch of the imagination
      Far from it

But F**k me you're boring with it
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4694: Jul 25, 2018 04:56:54 pm
      For the last few years Daniel has been playing like someone that is holding back through fear of injury. Unless that changes he won't be an asset this season.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #4695: Jul 25, 2018 05:27:05 pm
      I'm not an FSG fan boy by any stretch of the imagination
      Far from it

But F**k me you're boring with it

Bet you were bored with the CL final where we lost embarrassingly because our front line was fu**ed when Mo went off and we had no realistic replacement for the lad.
      F**k me we got him for a song surely you don't have to be a clairvoyant to see paying the money for an equal talent would pay for itself in time, a very short time as it turned out.

Even now the issue hasn't been addressed with Fekir stating openly he wants to play for LFC but there is still doubt over him coming, hope it happens as some say it will.
      « Last Edit: Jul 25, 2018 05:35:49 pm by stuey »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #4696: Jul 25, 2018 05:41:41 pm
      For the last few years Daniel has been playing like someone that is holding back through fear of injury. Unless that changes he won't be an asset this season.

If that is true that the report of Sturridge being kept for a season then released on a free it seems the best option.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4697: Jul 25, 2018 06:05:28 pm
      If that is true that the report of Sturridge being kept for a season then released on a free it seems the best option.

Never heard that mate. I would assume that he's hoping to earn a new contract though.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #4698: Jul 25, 2018 10:06:30 pm
      Never heard that mate. I would assume that he's hoping to earn a new contract though.

Looks doubtful mate they're lettinģ his contact run down.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #4699: Jul 25, 2018 10:50:43 pm
      Looks doubtful mate they're lettinģ his contact run down.

Surely it is too soon to determine that?

I would have thought it obvious that Sturridge's future is dependent on how he starts the season. Klopp is delighted (unusually) with how Sturridge is performing, and he could well earn himself a new contract. If it goes well, and he keeps fit, we will keep him. However, equally, if he doesn't perform or gets injured again, he will likely be left to run the contract down.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #4700: Jul 26, 2018 12:03:24 pm
      Surely it is too soon to determine that?

I would have thought it obvious that Sturridge's future is dependent on how he starts the season. Klopp is delighted (unusually) with how Sturridge is performing, and he could well earn himself a new contract. If it goes well, and he keeps fit, we will keep him. However, equally, if he doesn't perform or gets injured again, he will likely be left to run the contract down.

What world are you in?
      The player has 12 months left on his contract, if the manager was as optimistic as you suggest about Studge's future with LFC he would have a 4 year extension penned in right now.
      The reality is he does not warrant such confidence and to get him off the wage bill after disappointing for so many seasons as stated running his contract down is the best solution for the player and the club.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4701: Jul 26, 2018 12:09:43 pm
      Bet you were bored with the CL final where we lost embarrassingly because our front line was fu**ed when Mo went off and we had no realistic replacement for the lad.
      F**k me we got him for a song surely you don't have to be a clairvoyant to see paying the money for an equal talent would pay for itself in time, a very short time as it turned out.

Even now the issue hasn't been addressed with Fekir stating openly he wants to play for LFC but there is still doubt over him coming, hope it happens as some say it will.

F***ing owners, hate the owners, only going out and getting us the most expensive defender followed by the most expensive Goalkeeper in the world, wankers, WANKERS!!!!!

That's what you sound like Stuey, you and your vendetta against them is getting bloody ridiculous now.
      What is clear to most sane fans is that JĆ¼rgen is extremely selective about who he brings into the club, but whenever he identifies someone then the owners rarely fail to back him and with huge amounts as well.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #4702: Jul 29, 2018 02:47:56 am
      ā€œI love it here. Itā€™s the longest Iā€™ve stayed at a team as a professional. Iā€™m back here to give my all and to help us win somethingā€

A small part of the quick chat he had with LFCTV after the game, thereā€™s more in the Echoā€™s match blog, https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-vs-manchester-united-live-14964761

I like the attitude heā€™s showing, he knows this is his last chance, he also knows heā€™s not the main man any more. In a lot of ways the pressure is off, what happens next is entirely up to him, but I think West Brom was a big eye opener to what he has here at Liverpool.

The situation remains the same with Sturridge as it has been, if heā€™s fit he will be important. I just like the extra bit of steel and determination he seems to have right now.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #4703: Jul 29, 2018 10:32:05 am
      I've changed my mind, there aren't so many options out there for a better backup striker than him, we'll better keep him and let him go on a free, if not a crazy bid is made.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4704: Jul 29, 2018 10:56:30 am
      Come on Daniel, stay fit because we need you and you need us! YNWA
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #4705: Jul 29, 2018 01:20:34 pm
      After his loan spell at West From last season Studge said he regards his return to LFC like a second chance with a girlfriend and he added he still loves the club.

If our man caƱ put performances in like that every week he's here to stay.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4706: Jul 29, 2018 01:53:28 pm
      who wouldn't want Daniel from 12/13 he was just awesome a finisher as good as God himself. I cant see JĆ¼rgen keeping him around unless he can use him so lets all hope he can be part of a successful campaign
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #4707: Jul 29, 2018 02:06:28 pm
      It would be nice to see, Daniel back in the side, obviously scoring goals.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4708: Jul 29, 2018 07:25:01 pm
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4709: Jul 29, 2018 07:47:05 pm
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #4710: Jul 30, 2018 12:02:39 am
      Great video. He is sincere and open.

All the signs are positive. Seems to have matured and changed. Could be a good season coming up.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #4711: Jul 30, 2018 02:57:47 am
      Cross everything that he doesn't suffer another injury.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #4712: Jul 30, 2018 11:53:27 am
      He's dining in the last chance saloon and fingers crossed that will bring about a positive reaction in him.

His pace over distance has gone but he could still regain that short burst of pace he used to have. The fitter and sharper he is the better.

He could have a role to play deeper as well. I've seen how his close ball control and tricky feet can cause panic in low block teams in the past too.

All about staying fit for Danny and then trying to make an impact when his chance comes along.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #4713: Jul 30, 2018 12:27:59 pm
      He is great, but i'm scared of his injuries...I just don't trust that, he will be fit. Can't see.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4714: Jul 30, 2018 12:41:05 pm
      'Hungry' Daniel Sturridge determined to earn new Liverpool contract

Daniel Sturridge is confident he will force Liverpool to offer him a new contract this season as he has returned to Anfield a better player than when he left.

That might seem like a strange boast given a loan move to West Bromwich Albion in January turned into another frustrating, injury-ravaged period in the 28-year-oldā€™s career, but Sturridge has looked bright and motivated in pre-season as he enters the final 12 months of his current deal.

Sturridge, who was left out of Englandā€™s squad for the World Cup because of his poor fitness record as well as a lack of game time, feels the time away from Liverpool was still spent productively.

JĆ¼rgen Klopp has indicated he wants Sturridge to stay and fight for a first team place and the relationship between them is as strong as ever.

That is testimony to the Germanā€™s clever man management, given he sent Sturridge out on loan to fight a relegation battle in the Midlands a few months ago as he did not have any need for him.

ā€œIt was good going on out on loan,ā€ said Sturridge, who failed to score in six appearances for WBA after suffering another hamstring injury. ā€œI donā€™t regret anything. The experience made me grow as a person. That is what it is all about.

ā€œEvolving as a man, evolving as a footballer. From the outside looking in, you can also improve. When you are on the inside looking out, you sometimes donā€™t get to see what you have to do to get to the next level ā€“ how you need to change your game.

ā€œWhen you are on the inside, you donā€™t see it. When you are on the outside, you can assess things differently. I have always been hungry. The hunger will never change. Iā€™m taking every day as it comes with a positive mind-set.ā€

Sturridge even saw his exclusion frim Liverpoolā€™s run to the Champions League final as a positive thing and he sums up the collective mood on the dressing room when he said they are sick of near misses.

Given the talent at his disposal, this feels like the season Klopp has to end the clubā€™s trophy drought, with the ultimate ambition to win the league for the first time since 1990

ā€œItā€™s just great to be part of the club and helping and making sure that we can win games,ā€ added Sturridge, whose return is likely to restrict England Under-21 international Dominic Solankeā€™s first team involvement unless there a lot of injuries to attacking players.

ā€œItā€™s about the team. Itā€™s about what we do as a bunch. Everyone is pushing themselves to the limit because we have got a big season ahead. We feel we can do something special, so we are all pushing ourselves as far as we can go.

ā€œI just want to help the team win something. Thatā€™s what itā€™s about. We want to win something. We have been close before a lot of times. I wasnā€™t here for last seasonā€™s Champions League but it was so close. So close. We want to win something.ā€

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/07/29/hungry-daniel-sturridge-determined-earn-new-liverpool-contract/

If he is playing for a new contract, I have confidence he will stay fit throughout and be a huge asset. However, even if he ends up scoring 20+ PL goals this season, I still wouldn't like to see us offer him a new contract.

Quick Reply