Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 491438 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #4715: Jul 30, 2018 02:59:44 pm
      He is great, but i'm scared of his injuries...I just don't trust that, he will be fit. Can't see.

Good job we aren't reliant on him then, I just view him as a nice bonus as long as he is fit AND motivated. I kind of feel he might be for most of the season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4716: Jul 30, 2018 03:00:41 pm
      'Hungry' Daniel Sturridge determined to earn new Liverpool contract

Daniel Sturridge is confident he will force Liverpool to offer him a new contract this season as he has returned to Anfield a better player than when he left.

That might seem like a strange boast given a loan move to West Bromwich Albion in January turned into another frustrating, injury-ravaged period in the 28-year-oldā€™s career, but Sturridge has looked bright and motivated in pre-season as he enters the final 12 months of his current deal.

Sturridge, who was left out of Englandā€™s squad for the World Cup because of his poor fitness record as well as a lack of game time, feels the time away from Liverpool was still spent productively.

JĆ¼rgen Klopp has indicated he wants Sturridge to stay and fight for a first team place and the relationship between them is as strong as ever.

That is testimony to the Germanā€™s clever man management, given he sent Sturridge out on loan to fight a relegation battle in the Midlands a few months ago as he did not have any need for him.

ā€œIt was good going on out on loan,ā€ said Sturridge, who failed to score in six appearances for WBA after suffering another hamstring injury. ā€œI donā€™t regret anything. The experience made me grow as a person. That is what it is all about.

ā€œEvolving as a man, evolving as a footballer. From the outside looking in, you can also improve. When you are on the inside looking out, you sometimes donā€™t get to see what you have to do to get to the next level ā€“ how you need to change your game.

ā€œWhen you are on the inside, you donā€™t see it. When you are on the outside, you can assess things differently. I have always been hungry. The hunger will never change. Iā€™m taking every day as it comes with a positive mind-set.ā€

Sturridge even saw his exclusion frim Liverpoolā€™s run to the Champions League final as a positive thing and he sums up the collective mood on the dressing room when he said they are sick of near misses.

Given the talent at his disposal, this feels like the season Klopp has to end the clubā€™s trophy drought, with the ultimate ambition to win the league for the first time since 1990

ā€œItā€™s just great to be part of the club and helping and making sure that we can win games,ā€ added Sturridge, whose return is likely to restrict England Under-21 international Dominic Solankeā€™s first team involvement unless there a lot of injuries to attacking players.

ā€œItā€™s about the team. Itā€™s about what we do as a bunch. Everyone is pushing themselves to the limit because we have got a big season ahead. We feel we can do something special, so we are all pushing ourselves as far as we can go.

ā€œI just want to help the team win something. Thatā€™s what itā€™s about. We want to win something. We have been close before a lot of times. I wasnā€™t here for last seasonā€™s Champions League but it was so close. So close. We want to win something.ā€

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/07/29/hungry-daniel-sturridge-determined-earn-new-liverpool-contract/

If he is playing for a new contract, I have confidence he will stay fit throughout and be a huge asset. However, even if he ends up scoring 20+ PL goals this season, I still wouldn't like to see us offer him a new contract.

We could do a 1 year extension towards the end of the season but please nothing more, to be honest I think the club are much more savvy these days.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4717: Jul 30, 2018 03:40:12 pm
      It's a no brainer. Sell him whilst he injury free.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4718: Jul 30, 2018 03:46:28 pm
      It's a no brainer. Sell him whilst he injury free.

Behave yourself you 😄

Danny still ha something to offer us..
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4719: Jul 30, 2018 04:31:34 pm
      Behave yourself you 😄

Danny still ha something to offer us..

Shabs he does it time and time again. We know he's a great player but that's not the issue here. His ability to get 90 mins on a regular basis is not happening. Unfortunately that's a fact.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4720: Jul 30, 2018 06:27:10 pm
      Shabs he does it time and time again. We know he's a great player but that's not the issue here. His ability to get 90 mins on a regular basis is not happening. Unfortunately that's a fact.

Because of his injury record and time left on his contract we'd get nowhere near his true worth if we sold him.

I'd much rather keep him and gamble on his fitness and see where we are next summer.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4721: Jul 30, 2018 07:09:49 pm

Ultimately heā€™s not being kept at the club to play 90mins week in week out. He will be fully aware heā€™s behind Firmino in the pecking order and itā€™s unlikely to change. But if he can stay fit enough for cup games, come on as a sub and fill in when needed, then I have no doubts he can comfortably get his fare share of goals. The days of playing 90mins every week are long gone for him.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #4722: Aug 05, 2018 01:53:31 pm
      A teams only as strong as its weakest link and if Danny is our weakest forward then we're doing well. Same thing with Shaqiri for me.

The step from the usual fab 3 will obviously be down a bit but it doesnt have to dip to Solanke and Ings standards straight to away.

Danny and Shaq are stronger options from the bench IMO than what we were using last season.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #4723: Aug 05, 2018 02:01:24 pm
      I think others have said this - a spell not playing at West Brom may have done the lad some good...

He has played at City, Chelsea and here - getting to play with world class players week in week out (ok, perhaps train with them). Top class facilities and when fit playing to +40,000 fans a week. To go from that to Brom, with no disrespect is a step down in class, players and facilities.

The fact is this was the best he could achieve based on the last 3 years of his carrear, a club that finished rock bottom this season... He should be bloody hungry to do well and get another contract somewhere! 
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #4724: Aug 08, 2018 12:44:41 am
      Our first 11 have the fire power of the big 3 and our reserves are fuleled by SAS 2.0 (Shaquri and Sturridge). A lot of goals are gonna be scored this year.

We're gonna win the league,
      Now you gotta believe us,
      Now you gotta believe,
      We're gonna win the league
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #4725: Aug 08, 2018 02:47:31 am
      Yet another goal. Well in lad
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #4726: Aug 08, 2018 03:21:35 am
      Our first 11 have the fire power of the big 3 and our reserves are fuleled by SAS 2.0 (Shaquri and Sturridge). A lot of goals are gonna be scored this year.

Now you gotta believe,
      We're gonna win the league

It's not enough.

Our attack is very difficult to stop you're right, but it WILL be stopped at some point next season. We will have a few games where one or two of our lads are just having an off day or we come up against a stubborn side and we simply can't break them down.

That's when you need a coutinho type player on the pitch. That bit of magic and creativity in the middle and it's something we're lacking. If we still had coutinho for example, then I would estimate he would win us a further 6 points or so over the  purse of the season in those type of situations with a screamer from nowhere or a defence splitting pass etc.

Also, if dejan lovren is our first choice centre half next season then I expect him to make half a dozen or big mistakes that lead to goals. It could cost us points.

We're still not there yet so I'd postpone singing songs for now.

On topic though Sturridge has looked sharp in pre season. Would love to see him get some game time this year if he can finally adapt to klopps style of play.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #4727: Aug 08, 2018 04:15:27 am
      It's not enough.

Our attack is very difficult to stop you're right, but it WILL be stopped at some point next season. We will have a few games where one or two of our lads are just having an off day or we come up against a stubborn side and we simply can't break them down.

That's when you need a coutinho type player on the pitch. That bit of magic and creativity in the middle and it's something we're lacking. If we still had coutinho for example, then I would estimate he would win us a further 6 points or so over the  purse of the season in those type of situations with a screamer from nowhere or a defence splitting pass etc.

Also, if dejan lovren is our first choice centre half next season then I expect him to make half a dozen or big mistakes that lead to goals. It could cost us points.

We're still not there yet so I'd postpone singing songs for now.

On topic though Sturridge has looked sharp in pre season. Would love to see him get some game time this year if he can finally adapt to klopps style of play.

Lovren is one of the best defenders in the world. It says so on hundreds of internet sites so it must be true.

In all honesty I could see us coaching through some of those sturburn match ups this season. If Studge stays healthy and with Shaquri on board I could see us going with a 4-2-3-1 and relying on Bobby to play deeper and give us some of that creativity that you speak of.

You are right to point out our flaws. However, every team has them. Even the almighty Man City. With VVD and Robbo on board for a full season, a better keeper, 2 new quality mid fielders penciled in that starting 11, Hendo going back to his natural role, and a bunch of quality subs coming off the bench we are going to compete and I think we are going to win something.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #4728: Aug 08, 2018 09:20:58 am
      Lovren is one of the best defenders in the world. It says so on hundreds of internet sites so it must be true.

In all honesty I could see us coaching through some of those sturburn match ups this season. If Studge stays healthy and with Shaquri on board I could see us going with a 4-2-3-1 and relying on Bobby to play deeper and give us some of that creativity that you speak of.

You are right to point out our flaws. However, every team has them. Even the almighty Man City. With VVD and Robbo on board for a full season, a better keeper, 2 new quality mid fielders penciled in that starting 11, Hendo going back to his natural role, and a bunch of quality subs coming off the bench we are going to compete and I think we are going to win something.

Really can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but dejan Lovren isn't one of the best defenders in the world  :lmao:

I see this mentioned a lot about Bobby dropping deeper. It won't happen. His style and the way we play he is absolutely perfect as the 9. He won't be anywhere near as effective in the 10 role just like he's nowhere near effective whenever he has played out wide. Taking Bobby out of the 9 position weakens us. It's no different saying to aguero play as the 10 or telling Lukaku to play as the 10. It doesn't make sense. Go with your strongest team and our strongest team is when Bobby plays the 9, no question.

Despite a solid pre season, Daniel is no longer first choice. He might see a bit more game time this year but there is no way we are all of a sudden going to accomodate him and build the team around him. There's no way we are going to play him as the 9 and move players around like Bobby.

Of course all teams have flaws, but some have more than others, and we have more than city.

I agree on having Robbo and VVD in the team from the off, plus hopefully now a keeper who doesn't make drastic mistakes every other game, but I stand by my original statement that we still don't have enough.

I expect us to gain more points this season but at the moment I don't think we are catching city.  We're still only an injury away to van dijk or Keita from being in the sh*t in my opinion.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4729: Aug 08, 2018 11:31:46 am
      Really can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but dejan Lovren isn't one of the best defenders in the world  :lmao:

I see this mentioned a lot about Bobby dropping deeper. It won't happen. His style and the way we play he is absolutely perfect as the 9. He won't be anywhere near as effective in the 10 role just like he's nowhere near effective whenever he has played out wide. Taking Bobby out of the 9 position weakens us. It's no different saying to aguero play as the 10 or telling Lukaku to play as the 10. It doesn't make sense. Go with your strongest team and our strongest team is when Bobby plays the 9, no question.

Despite a solid pre season, Daniel is no longer first choice. He might see a bit more game time this year but there is no way we are all of a sudden going to accomodate him and build the team around him. There's no way we are going to play him as the 9 and move players around like Bobby.

Of course all teams have flaws, but some have more than others, and we have more than city.

I agree on having Robbo and VVD in the team from the off, plus hopefully now a keeper who doesn't make drastic mistakes every other game, but I stand by my original statement that we still don't have enough.

I expect us to gain more points this season but at the moment I don't think we are catching city.  We're still only an injury away to van dijk or Keita from being in the sh*t in my opinion.

I'll agree that Citeh's overall squad is stronger than us but in terms of first XI and subs what areas do you feel Citeh are currently stronger than us?

From my POV I would say we are now more or less equal in defence and that we have a more potent attack. Citeh's midfield last season was the best in the world but ours is much improved this season with the addition of Keita, Fabinho and also Shaquiri who I still maintain can easily play as AM as well as a forward.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #4730: Aug 08, 2018 12:13:27 pm

First time I've seen this vid, seems to have his head screwed on and I love the fact he stepped back from the question about 'what would you  consider to be a successful season for Daniel Sturridge' and instead spoke about the team.

Looks absolutely revitalised during this pre-season with 6 goals plus looking very sharp in his movements and his touch has looked back to his best. I have been telling myself not to get in any way excited by pre-season form (or any sort of form) so far as Studge goes because the next injury always seems to be around the corner BUT what a frickin unexpected bonus it would be if he can keep himself and contribute this season. I've got my fingers crossed for him and us!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4731: Aug 08, 2018 12:16:33 pm
      Looks absolutely revitalised during this pre-season with 6 goals plus looking very sharp in his movements and his touch has looked back to his best. I have been telling myself not to get in any way excited by pre-season form (or any sort of form) so far as Studge goes because the next injury always seems to be around the corner BUT what a frickin unexpected bonus it would be if he can keep himself and contribute this season. I've got my fingers crossed for him and us!

I think the only way to keep him fit and fresh is to use him as cover for Firmino, adding to that, have him stick to that special training programme he has with us, same goes with Lallana too.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #4732: Aug 08, 2018 05:42:55 pm
      I'll agree that Citeh's overall squad is stronger than us but in terms of first XI and subs what areas do you feel Citeh are currently stronger than us?

From my POV I would say we are now more or less equal in defence and that we have a more potent attack. Citeh's midfield last season was the best in the world but ours is much improved this season with the addition of Keita, Fabinho and also Shaquiri who I still maintain can easily play as AM as well as a forward.

It's difficult to compare because we have slightly different styles of play. Our front three for example are perfect for how we play and for how we set up. I wouldn't swap them for anyone, not just in our league, but any other player in Europe.  I've had this type of debate with my mates regularly and they think I'm mad that I wouldn't take hazard over Mane for example, but I wouldn't. Aguero is a better striker than Bobby but I'd still pick Bobby over him every single day of the week.

Going player to player then I think Ederson is a better keeper than from what I've seen of Alisson.

I wouldn't swap Robbo for Mendy. And I wouldn't swap VVD for Kompany either. We have the better players there.

I would take either otamendi or stones over Lovren though and Walker is a better player than Trent at the moment too. He was inconsistent at Tottenham but he had an incredibly good year last season.  I think Trent can reach those levels by the way, but right now, Walker has the edge on him
      slightly.

Midfield is extremely difficult to compare. Last season their midfield three of Fernandinho, KDB and Silva were just truly phenomenal and they were much much better than ours.

This season though we've signed Keita. I've seen plenty of Keita and I think he is going to be a massive hit and he will take the league by storm. So I wouldn't swap him for any of their three but his style is just completely different to theirs too. He is nothing like kdb, silva or Fernandinho.

Fabinho on the other hand I know very little about. It's early days but I haven't been blown away by him in pre season either. I'm starting to worry whether he will adapt to the prem.

The other player were likely to play is our captain Jordan Henderson and I've made my feelings clear on him. He doesn't get anywhere near that city team so I'd take any of their three over him any day.

So midfield theirs is still better. If we had signed fekir id have a different outlook on it.

Then in my opinion our front three are a better three than Sane, Aguero and Sterling/Mahrez.

It's that 10 position and our CB that I'm worried about. Improve them and we will go extremely close. If we don't I think we will just fall short.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #4733: Aug 08, 2018 06:09:49 pm
      The fact heā€™s come through pre-season, a gruelling time of year, without injury is a good sign. Especially with his 6 goals and 2(?) assists. Heā€™s looking sharp, heā€™s not looked this fit and sharp since the SAS season. Stays like this and no reason he canā€™t get 10-15 goals.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #4734: Aug 08, 2018 10:19:03 pm
      City is definitely better up front, as in they have more quality depth that we don't, but we are better defensively. Their back line and goalie were vastly overrated last season because most PL teams were afraid to attack them and leave space behind them but when they met an attacking team like us they were shown to be very average.

This is where Sturridge comes in. When we thought of adding depth at forward and attacking midfielder for the upcoming season everyone thought of doing that through a transfer, but no one, myself included, saw Sturridge service that purpose. If he can stay relatively healthy (Aguero is no iron man himself) he would be an amazing option for the team and one that would really close that gap with City in being able to rest or sub in players without much drop in quality, if any.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #4735: Aug 08, 2018 11:10:02 pm
      City is definitely better up front, as in they have more quality depth that we don't, but we are better defensively. Their back line and goalie were vastly overrated last season because most PL teams were afraid to attack them and leave space behind them but when they met an attacking team like us they were shown to be very average.

This is where Sturridge comes in. When we thought of adding depth at forward and attacking midfielder for the upcoming season everyone thought of doing that through a transfer, but no one, myself included, saw Sturridge service that purpose. If he can stay relatively healthy (Aguero is no iron man himself) he would be an amazing option for the team and one that would really close that gap with City in being able to rest or sub in players without much drop in quality, if any.

They weren't afraid to attack them, they just couldn't get the ball off them. I've no idea what city's average possssion stats were last season but I'd guess it was over 70.

Klopp is the master on the pressing game. We are also very fit, probably the fittest team in the league. Teams like city are made for us (despite their obvious quality) which is why we beat them 3 times last season and why we've struggled against united for example who have always given us the ball but parked the bus.

Defending isn't just about making tackles or keeping shape. Maintaining  possession is a massive part of it and that's what pep is the master of and it's something actually that we need to improve on, knowing when to kill the game down with the ball even if it's a bore fest for 10 minutes. At the end of the day, if you have the ball then the other team can't score.  They defended much better than what we did last season.

I think you're kidding yourself on Sturridge. I'm a massive fan of Sturridge and I've argued several times that he should be in our first 11 on this forum in the past. He's looked good in pre season but when it really matters in competitive games he has shown repeatedly that he is out of place in a klopp team.  It's a lovely idea that he's going to come back and rediscover the form he had in the nearly season with Brendan, but it's unrealistic.  He's injury prone and doesn't suit our style. I hope he proves me wrong, but he's done nothing since klopp has come in to suggest he will, even these half a dozen or so games in pre season.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4736: Aug 09, 2018 08:03:41 am
      He's been finished for two years due to injury. Anyone who thinks he can make it now are deluded. Sell sell sell, "well at least I would"  :D Unfortunately injury is only round the corner when he plays a competitive game or two.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #4737: Aug 10, 2018 07:52:04 am
      I'm praying again this season for Danny. He's not going to be a regular starter now but if he stays fit all season one thing he is an option from the bench. If we kill off a game we can rest Bobby, ManƩ or salah as Danny can play anywhere along that front 3. I'd even be tempted not to start him in the cup games. 10 or 20 minute appearances and we could keep him fit and even with 10 or 20 minute appearances Danny can score or create a goal out of nothing. If he stays fit he could be very important to us.

Quick Reply