Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 491452 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #4876: Jan 09, 2019 09:57:11 am
      The stats suggest otherwise use him sparingly and his goals per minute ratio goes up. So in short use him as a impact sub!
      Agree, he's the person we want if we're 1-0 down at 75 minutes. He shouldn't get near the starting line up though. It's a bit of an enigma but that's just how it is.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4877: Jan 09, 2019 09:58:24 am
      No-one listens to me either.

I keep providing the stats that prove otherwise, but no-one likes that because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Play him regularly. He will score.

Yeah but like we've said many times, getting 90 mins out of him another thing. Even Klopp given up on him now.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4878: Jan 09, 2019 10:11:17 am
      after his "performance" the other night its hard to see anyone taking him on loan let alone pay good money for him. Something wasn't right with him he was just not the lad we all know he always does his best
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4879: Jan 09, 2019 10:16:44 am
      Nah, you know you'd have him as an impact sub right now. United don't have anybody to rotate with at all really. 4 forwards in the whole squad.

Sturridge played 375 minutes this season.
      He has 4 goals.
      That's a goal every 93 minutes and 45 seconds.
      They were all impact sub goals.

Even if what you say is true, a impact player who only gets 20 mins not good enough. Bench warmer is all he is now. Should of sold him two years ago. He certainly didn't enjoy playing in the third team other nite.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #4880: Jan 09, 2019 10:52:02 am
      Lots of talk about him being an impact sub for 15/20 minutes but we never even got 10 minutes from him outa the whole game he just looked so disinterested & couldn’t be arsed & that is not the attitude you want from a player on his wages or wearing the shirt,no matter how fu**ed he might be some effort & desire would have been nice.
      Unfortunately his best days have been & gone & the gaffer knows it as do many countless fans,he was something else back in the day but time to move him on if we can.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #4881: Jan 09, 2019 11:05:55 am
      His biggest issue - in our system - isn’t that his legs have gone (which they clearly have).

For me his biggest issue is that he wants 3-5 seconds in possession every time he gets the ball to survey his options.

That absolutely kills our penetration.

To that end - on Monday he looked self indulgent rather than disinterested to me.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4882: Jan 09, 2019 11:54:57 am
      Lots of talk about him being an impact sub for 15/20 minutes but we never even got 10 minutes from him outa the whole game he just looked so disinterested & couldn’t be arsed & that is not the attitude you want from a player on his wages or wearing the shirt,no matter how fu**ed he might be some effort & desire would have been nice.
      Unfortunately his best days have been & gone & the gaffer knows it as do many countless fans,he was something else back in the day but time to move him on if we can.

I can't remember the last time where he started and had a good match, he really is an impact sub only now, but that can be a very important role, just think back to the Chelsea match. It does however mean that we desperately need some more cover in the forward positions, Shaq can probably do an ok job filling in for Mane or Salah but we have no one to take over from Bobby or a plan B striker, like the Arse used to have with Giroud, for example.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4883: Jan 09, 2019 12:13:53 pm
      His biggest issue - in our system - isn’t that his legs have gone (which they clearly have).

For me his biggest issue is that he wants 3-5 seconds in possession every time he gets the ball to survey his options.

That absolutely kills our penetration.

To that end - on Monday he looked self indulgent rather than disinterested to me.

Sturridge is fine when he comes on as a sub and has pace around him.
      The intelligence is there.
      The problem when he starts in place of Firmino or Salah, especially with his legs gone,
      is that he needs to supply the movement and he can't do that.
      RedKop114
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #4884: Jan 09, 2019 03:10:15 pm
      I don't think that Sturridge should be sold, but he is in terrible form at the moment. He simply can't rival Salah, Frimino, or Mane in a form like this.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #4885: Jan 09, 2019 07:19:10 pm
      Absolutely terrible performance . Should be ashamed
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #4886: Feb 25, 2019 05:10:47 pm
      Bobby will be out for weeks and -yes- I'd turn to Daniel. At the beginning of the campaign he was spot-on, could even be considered to start above Mané or Bobby and he didn't lose it since then he just didn't get opportunities that create rhythm and confidence. Give him minutes and he'll do good things, certainly he's superior to Origi, maybe it's between him and Shaq, but Shaq didn't show anything lately as well.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #4887: Feb 25, 2019 05:17:28 pm
      I don't think that Sturridge should could be sold, but he is in terrible form at the moment. He simply can't rival Salah, Frimino, or Mane in a form like this.

Fixed that for ya mate ;)

Joking aside it’s a real shame. A potentially great career utterly ruined by injury.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4888: Feb 26, 2019 09:12:45 am
      Hes finished now I think.

It would be nice if he could add something in games as a sub, but hes but rubbish since that chelsea worldie.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4889: Feb 26, 2019 09:21:53 am
      Hes finished now I think.

It would be nice if he could add something in games as a sub, but hes but rubbish since that chelsea worldie.

Yep. I said after the Wolves game I'd be happy to never see him start another game for us.

Totally shot.

One of my favourite players but he simply cannot function in our side anymore.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #4890: Feb 26, 2019 02:33:06 pm
      My problem with Danny is that when he comes on he drops too deep, when Firmino does it there is urgency and a forward-thinking mentality behind it, but with Danny it is lethargic and highly counterproductive.

I think his appearances would be more effective if he placed himself right on the opposing CB's and came short to interchange with the rest of the team, and on occasion make the runs in behind, doesn't necessarily need to be getting the ball for these runs but would help create space for the others.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4891: Feb 27, 2019 03:54:31 pm
      With due to respect to him, he's offering nothing at the moment. He should not be given a new contract.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4892: May 05, 2019 02:02:52 pm
      Thought apart from a few good touches early on, offered nothing in a massive game for us vs Newcastle.
      Too big a drop in standard from our regular front three to Daniel.
      Looks like is trying to write cheques his body and ability can't cash anymore.
      Need to improve our backup options, and think Jürgen will in summer - in saying that, thought Studge would've been gone a couple of seasons back, so who knows.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #4893: May 05, 2019 02:08:36 pm
      Thought apart from a few good touches early on, offered nothing in a massive game for us vs Newcastle.
      Too big a drop in standard from our regular front three to Daniel.
      Looks like is trying to write cheques his body and ability can't cash anymore.
      Need to improve our backup options, and think Jürgen will in summer - in saying that, thought Studge would've been gone a couple of seasons back, so who knows.

I will seriously question Klopp's sanity if he offers Stu a contract extension.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4894: May 05, 2019 05:27:58 pm
      I will seriously question Klopp's sanity if he offers Stu a contract extension.

I've questioned why you've kept him for the last 3 years. ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4895: May 05, 2019 06:31:59 pm
      I've questioned why you've kept him for the last 3 years. ;D

Offers more than Sanchez...😎
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4896: May 05, 2019 06:54:19 pm
      Offers more than Sanchez...😎

Nar, 3 years wages more than £500k a week for a year  :f_whistle:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #4897: May 05, 2019 07:15:11 pm
      He’s a player that needs to be playing regularly to integrate and make an impact. I just don’t think he will play regularly here.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4898: May 05, 2019 11:37:07 pm
      Should have stuck that ball in the back of the net. Could not have been set up for him any better. Left peg, smash it in Danny, not into Row F***ing Z.

Quick Reply