Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 491362 times
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #4899: May 06, 2019 12:21:38 pm
      Reckon he will be heavily involved in our next 2 games since it’s looking like Salah and Firmino are out.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4900: May 06, 2019 01:39:00 pm
      Should have stuck that ball in the back of the net. Could not have been set up for him any better. Left peg, smash it in Danny, not into Row f**king Z.

If he's not sticking those away, or at least hitting target, then he's not giving us enough cause he does almost nothing else these days :(
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #4901: May 06, 2019 01:48:00 pm
      He’s a player that needs to be playing regularly to integrate and make an impact. I just don’t think he will play regularly here.

Agree there.

You cannot expect Sturridge to come into this side (that is not set up for a Striker) and play his A game. He needs regular minutes. He needs opportunities to gel with the team, and importantly, they with him. Then we can judge him. These bit part roles that he plays are no real indication. As you say, he won't get that here. He hasn't. So he needs to be replaced.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #4902: May 06, 2019 01:51:20 pm
      Should have stuck that ball in the back of the net. Could not have been set up for him any better. Left peg, smash it in Danny, not into Row f**king Z.

Which one? I don't recall seeing many misses - maybe 2? (stream did die briefly on a couple of occasions so it possible I missed it). However, Salah also missed badly, in particular the one where Sturridge was fuming that he did not pass it to him to score.

In any case, Sturridge generally misses his first couple of efforts. When you watch him, you'll see that he is one of those who likes to take shots to gauge the conditions, movement of the ball, and get his accuracy right. He'll miss a couple, and then start hitting the target. It's normal for him. That's why I was even more surprised with that screamer vs Chelsea as it was his first shot - and it was perfect. That's not usual for him at all.  ;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #4903: May 06, 2019 02:15:57 pm
      Which one? I don't recall seeing many misses - maybe 2? (stream did die briefly on a couple of occasions so it possible I missed it). However, Salah also missed badly, in particular the one where Sturridge was fuming that he did not pass it to him to score.

In any case, Sturridge generally misses his first couple of efforts. When you watch him, you'll see that he is one of those who likes to take shots to gauge the conditions, movement of the ball, and get his accuracy right. He'll miss a couple, and then start hitting the target. It's normal for him. That's why I was even more surprised with that screamer vs Chelsea as it was his first shot - and it was perfect. That's not usual for him at all.  ;D

There was one that rolled right to him and he was dead center, he skyed it over the bar, it's a chance he was burying routinely back when he was playing with Suarez, Coutinho and Sterling. Although it was a pretty bad miss, I actually wasn't surprised because he really was almost trying to hard at times, trying to make an impact knowing his time is limited. I feel for the guy, but his injury history and his lack of a real pressing style of play meant he was likely never going to fit into this Klopp side. I still applaud him for keeping his head down though and never kicking up a fuss.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4904: May 06, 2019 02:17:00 pm

Gauge the conditions   He isn't a F***ing golfer
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #4905: May 06, 2019 02:18:44 pm
      I've questioned why you've kept him for the last 3 years. ;D

There's a very simple answer to that, who would pay £20 - £30 million on a player who not even play half a season. Plus his wages would of scared some teams off.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4906: May 06, 2019 02:39:04 pm
      Gauge the conditions   He isn't a f**king golfer

Judging by his miss the other night the lad is not a good putter...but his shot did end up as a double bogey..
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4907: May 06, 2019 03:47:27 pm
      Reckon he will be heavily involved in our next 2 games since it’s looking like Salah and Firmino are out.

I really hope not
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #4908: May 06, 2019 05:15:09 pm

Bring your scoring boots, Danny! We'll need you to help break down Barcelona's defense.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4909: May 06, 2019 06:37:20 pm
      Bring your scoring boots, Danny! We'll need you to help break down Barcelona's defense.

If he starts we won't win, the most natural finisher in our team can't hit a barn door at the moment.
      I'd start Ox and Shaq behind Sadio.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #4910: May 06, 2019 06:49:15 pm
      If he starts we won't win, the most natural finisher in our team can't hit a barn door at the moment.

That's a shout
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4911: May 06, 2019 07:04:17 pm

👍🏼
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #4912: May 06, 2019 07:10:45 pm

I don't see how Ox can give you 90 minutes or close to it. At best he's on the bench.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4913: May 06, 2019 07:16:38 pm
      If Leicester do us a favour I would play 11 Sturridge, will not care about UCL but a big IF.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #4914: Jun 05, 2019 02:47:58 am
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #4915: Jun 05, 2019 11:43:17 am
      Shame about his injury problems - could have been a great here. Good luck to him.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4916: Jun 05, 2019 11:49:43 am
      I'll miss him and hope he stays injury free and gets to play a decent amount of football in his next move.

One of the most technically gifted strikers we've had a for a spell was one of the best forwards in Europe for me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4917: Jun 05, 2019 12:11:45 pm
      One of the most technically gifted strikers we've had a for a spell was one of the best forwards in Europe for me.

Even though he hasn't hit the goal scoring heights that Salah has and what other players are now, in terms of sheer goal scoring ability, he's still one of the league's most natural. Some of the goals he's scored for us have been nothing short of world class and he's made them look so easy. Really is a shame he's made of glass because he could have a ridiculous amount of goals for us now and we'd have no doubt benefited from a fully fit Sturridge playing 35/40 games a season.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #4918: Jun 05, 2019 03:09:31 pm
      Should also be a lesson to some players to not trust international advice when recovering from injury, when in doubt talk to the Liverpool people.   Careers could depend on it!   

Best of luck but was never the same after getting injured with England.   
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #4919: Jun 05, 2019 05:44:13 pm
      An absolute credit to himself and the club. Going out on a high with class. I think he really deserves to leave the club with one major trophy. Thank you for everything Sturridge, at his best there weren’t many better.

Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #4920: Jun 05, 2019 07:35:15 pm
      An absolute credit to himself and the club. Going out on a high with class. I think he really deserves to leave the club with one major trophy. Thank you for everything Sturridge, at his best there weren’t many better.

That brought me to tears! Daniel, I wish you nothing but the very best in the future, sadly the injuries have taken their toll, but remember YNWA, I hope we see you back at Anfield some time in the future!
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #4921: Jun 05, 2019 11:02:18 pm
      Absolute legend.

We have been so fortunate to have had a player of this quality at Liverpool. Made an instant impact and proved his goal scoring ability. One of the greatest strikers of all time. Scored some absolute wonders.

Rode a wave of criticism from a large portion of our vocal fan base who lambasted him from the start for being a former Chelsea player. Ignorant labels such as "lazy" were thrown at him, and repeatedly so when he went through his most difficult periods of injury. Some of the ignorant made up the most ridiculous nonsense to add more fire to his struggles and claimed that his injuries were in his head. They label him "made of glass" and pretend that he is dead as a player.

Hopefully he will get another chance to show his ability elsewhere.

Yet despite it all, he's walked out with his head held high, memories of the Champions League triumph, and nothing but love for Liverpool FC. What an example!!  One of our greatest. Thank you Danny! Good luck for the future!!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Quick Reply