Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Captain and Vice Captain.

Read 19305 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: Captain and Vice Captain.
      Reply #115: Oct 29, 2015 12:45:08 pm
      I don't have an enormous problem with Henderson being captain - I'd hardly say there was an outstanding candidate for it at the club but he has been there a while and does have captaincy experience.

I do have a problem with Milner being given the vice captaincy.  I don't think at any club, no matter who the player is, they should just walk in the door and be given that degree of seniority over other players.

Klopp can't exactly take it off him now but it was a mistake by Rodgers and although vice captain is not normally significant - Hendo's injury has increased its importance and I'd imagine it was a slap in the bollocks for many players.

Skrtel or Lucas should have been given the vice captaincy and should be wearing the armband in Henderson's absence.

I don't understand the issue with Milner being vice captain.

International player who has won medals. Experienced who has made many appearances in the PL. Although his Liverpool career hasn't got off to a flying start, he is known to give it 100% every game too.

Would you have Moreno vice captain over Milner based on Moreno being here a year longer?

No? well who else was worthy of being vice captain over Milner?

Lucas? Certainly a fans choice (I'd love him to be captain personally) but he was on the verge of leaving being some doubt as to whether Rodgers rated him or not, plus he has suffered with injury problems.

Skrtel? Well he has been at the club since the Rafa days and no manager has given him the armband. That may be unfair because we obviously had Stevie and Carragher on the books then but Skrtel doesn't strike anybody as a leader, does he. Very inconsistent player, not vocal enough, crap at organising and so on. Definitely not a player to lead by example in my opinion and if he was given the armband then it would only because he has been at the club for a lengthy time and that would be more wrong than giving it to somebody like Milner in my opinion. I'd actually consider upgrading on Skrtel ASAP and look at bringing in somebody to partner Sakho but that's just my opinion.

Sakho would also be my shout to captain the club alongside Lucas and Hendo. But he was another who was out of favour with Rodgers.

So even though he has only been at the club for 2 minutes I understand why Milner has been given the role.

Likewise, I'd completely understand if LA Galaxy gave such a role to Stevie. Not comparing Milner to Stevie obviously but you get my point.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #116: Oct 29, 2015 01:31:29 pm
      I don't understand the issue with Milner being vice captain.

International player who has won medals. Experienced who has made many appearances in the PL. Although his Liverpool career hasn't got off to a flying start, he is known to give it 100% every game too.

Would you have Moreno vice captain over Milner based on Moreno being here a year longer?

No? well who else was worthy of being vice captain over Milner?

Lucas? Certainly a fans choice (I'd love him to be captain personally) but he was on the verge of leaving being some doubt as to whether Rodgers rated him or not, plus he has suffered with injury problems.

Skrtel? Well he has been at the club since the Rafa days and no manager has given him the armband. That may be unfair because we obviously had Stevie and Carragher on the books then but Skrtel doesn't strike anybody as a leader, does he. Very inconsistent player, not vocal enough, crap at organising and so on. Definitely not a player to lead by example in my opinion and if he was given the armband then it would only because he has been at the club for a lengthy time and that would be more wrong than giving it to somebody like Milner in my opinion. I'd actually consider upgrading on Skrtel ASAP and look at bringing in somebody to partner Sakho but that's just my opinion.

Sakho would also be my shout to captain the club alongside Lucas and Hendo. But he was another who was out of favour with Rodgers.

So even though he has only been at the club for 2 minutes I understand why Milner has been given the role.

Likewise, I'd completely understand if LA Galaxy gave such a role to Stevie. Not comparing Milner to Stevie obviously but you get my point.

Can you think of any other clubs where a player has been signed and immediately been given vice captaincy?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #117: Oct 29, 2015 01:39:30 pm

I didn't say I didn't understand why he was given it I just said I disagreed with it.  If I was the manager, and thank the lord I'm not, I wouldn't have done it.  I don't think it's a particularly sound strategy in any workplace to employ someone as your peer and then the next day give them seniority over you before they've even figured out where the toilets are.

In hindsight, due to the lack of real genuine candidates at the time, Brendan shouldn't have named one.  If Henderson hadn't have been injured then Toure likely would have actually worn the armband more than Milner anyway.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #118: Oct 29, 2015 01:46:58 pm
      Can you think of any other clubs where a player has been signed and immediately been given vice captaincy?

Didn't Pulis make Evans or Cleverley or some other dirty manc captain soon as he signed?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but Brendan had only himself to blame for allowing the squad to become devoid of leaders and undermining the few who were left.

It could have been worse thought, he could have appointed Lovren VC.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #119: Oct 29, 2015 02:43:58 pm
      I'm actually surprised Joseph was looked over by Rodgers for vice captain :)

BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #120: Oct 29, 2015 02:49:39 pm
      Didn't Pulis make Evans or Cleverley or some other dirty manc captain soon as he signed?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but Brendan had only himself to blame for allowing the squad to become devoid of leaders and undermining the few who were left.

It could have been worse thought, he could have appointed Lovren VC.

Fletcher.

VC should have gone to Sakho or Lucas. Henderson was the right choice for captain.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #121: Oct 29, 2015 06:26:13 pm
      In hindsight, due to the lack of real genuine candidates at the time, Brendan shouldn't have named one.  If Henderson hadn't have been injured then Toure likely would have actually worn the armband more than Milner anyway.

Great point.

I said the other day that I'm not bothered about Vice Captain but I think this is what I was getting at.

We don't need to name a Vice just whenever the skipper is injured give the armband to the most obvious candidate and if we had have done that I don't think Milner would have got it as Lucas has stepped up since the Arsenal game.

The problem was Brendan was so keen to get Lucas out the door and not picking Sakho that he left himself with little options and went with Milner.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #122: Oct 29, 2015 08:46:50 pm
      Does it really matter ?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #123: Nov 01, 2015 02:09:30 am

I'm assuming that you don't think it does.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's massively significant in the sport of football but I think it does matter to an extent.

Does James Milner deserve to be captaining Liverpool?  I don't think he does.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #124: Nov 01, 2015 02:55:30 am
      I think Lucas has earned the right to be captain when Henderson is not available. He has the club at heart and I think he has the respect of the other players.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #125: Nov 01, 2015 06:41:38 am
      I thought it was interesting that the armband was given to Skrtel after Milner went off and not Lucas. Skrtel would be pretty far down my list of potentials for captain.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #126: Nov 01, 2015 07:03:02 am
      I thought it was interesting that the armband was given to Skrtel after Milner went off and not Lucas. Skrtel would be pretty far down my list of potentials for captain.

First of all I don't think Milner deserve the armband. After Henderson (I saw him in every game, he travelled with the team), I think Lucas, Sakho and then Skrtel deserve the armband, in that order.

I have nothing against Skrtel taking the armband because he puts his body where it matter (I know that is his job but some refuse to do so.)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #127: Nov 01, 2015 01:00:49 pm
      I agree there is no need to name a VC, there exists a number who are genuine candidates whenever the captain is either injured, sent off, I was happy enough for Hendo to wear the armband and I'm sure he would step up and carry it with distinction, however, this was the last managers decision so I'm open to the idea of Jürgen putting his own captain in place, at the moment our current captain is injured so for me it would make perfect sense if a  Klopp captain took over,

Ah, but would that upset the apple cart and put Jordan's nose out of joint ? Well for me no, because Jürgen may see the captains role differently from what Brendan did, as for Jordan well he's a professional and I'm sure he'll accept whatever decision Jürgen makes, if indeed he makes one,

As for Milner, I didn't really mind when BR gave him VC, at the time it sort of made sense in that his experience shone a little brighter than perhaps those of Lucas, Skrtle or Sakho,

Since Klopp's arrival it seems he sees Lucas as a pivotal part of his teams, and Lucas himself has grabbed the opportunity and played as good as he ever has, of course as yet Hendo has yet to work with Jürgen so maybe he will see Hendo as his main man ,

The perfect scenario is of course keep it as it is with the exception of Milner, reason being when Hendo does come back it is my belief Milner will be taking a step back and will be used as a it part player,

So we'll either see Hendo as skip, Lucas, vice, if there is to be a change it could be the other way round.

Only my opinion ?

YNWA
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #128: Nov 02, 2015 08:07:58 pm
      I'm assuming that you don't think it does.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's massively significant in the sport of football but I think it does matter to an extent.

Does James Milner deserve to be captaining Liverpool?  I don't think he does.

He didn't deserve to be made vice captain when he was, but does he now deserve to be stripped of it? Why risk demotivating a player when it would no doubt make bigger headlines in the media than any real meaning it would have for the new recipient.

Personally I would leave things as they are for now and reassess next season.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #129: Nov 02, 2015 08:56:46 pm
      Why risk demotivating a player when it would no doubt make bigger headlines in the media than any real meaning it would have for the new recipient.

But, lets not forget that Gerrard was made captain during a season at a time when Hyypia wasn't in particularly good form if I remember rightly. I have no problem with changing such things during a season so long as it is handled professionally. Also, for example, one of the first things that is discussed when a new manager comes in at International level is whether there will be a change in captaincy so surely the same principle applies to the domestic side because a new manager will obviously see things and players differently to the one they are taking over from so Captains and Vice Captains should be prepared to lose such things when someone new takes over.

Personally I think Klopp will leave things how they are this season, but next season I'm not even sure Milner will still be at the club and if he is then I don't think he will be continuing his role as Vice Captain, and rightly so IMO.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #130: Nov 02, 2015 09:45:00 pm
      But, lets not forget that Gerrard was made captain during a season at a time when Hyypia wasn't in particularly good form if I remember rightly. I have no problem with changing such things during a season so long as it is handled professionally. Also, for example, one of the first things that is discussed when a new manager comes in at International level is whether there will be a change in captaincy so surely the same principle applies to the domestic side because a new manager will obviously see things and players differently to the one they are taking over from so Captains and Vice Captains should be prepared to lose such things when someone new takes over.

Personally I think Klopp will leave things how they are this season, but next season I'm not even sure Milner will still be at the club and if he is then I don't think he will be continuing his role as Vice Captain, and rightly so IMO.

If we were discussing the captain I might be a little more sympathetic, but vice captain meh. Can you name any vice captains in the prem off the top of your head apart from Milner ?  I can't, which just about sums up its importance in the grand scheme of things.

The only reason this has had any prominence is the long term injury of Henderson, who is due back this month anyway. Maybe if Milner becomes a squad player rather than a first team regular .... then maybe the question could be revisited , but once Henderson is back it will hardly matter anyway.

I think we have bigger and more important problems but if it would ensure Liverpool get even one extra point this season I would change the vice captaincy today.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #131: Nov 02, 2015 10:00:14 pm

I think Milner is the one player who divides opinion most at the moment.

I share your opinion that there's a chance he wont be here too. When Hendo comes back it would seem natural for Can to sit out but if you want Can to progress and you accept that top 4 is likely but the title isn't then you might choose to take a chance on developing the young lad for future gains.

There's parts of Can's game that frustrate and undoubtedly need improving but there's parts that make you sit up and take notice. Milner has a place in a squad but it's clear he's not happy with that so if he does fall down to the bench there's every chance that he'll move on.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #132: Nov 03, 2015 07:34:14 am
      He didn't deserve to be made vice captain when he was, but does he now deserve to be stripped of it? Why risk demotivating a player

Klopp can't exactly take it off him now

Quick Reply