Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

FIFA Ballon d'Or 2012

Read 10055 times
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Re: FIFA Ballon d'Or 2012
      Reply #23: Jan 07, 2013 08:29:07 pm
      I'm surprised RVP didn't get more votes tho. In the year 2012 he has been sensational. Better than Falcao, and the best player in the premier league this year.

Messi is the deserved winner though, no surprises really and it really is the Messi era.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #24: Jan 07, 2013 08:41:29 pm
      Italy and Germany coaches are funny.

In the year that Messi wins his fourth Ballon D'or though it's only right we recognise football's lesser known award, the Fallon F'loor for which Gareth Bale is the clear favourite to retain his title.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #25: Jan 07, 2013 08:42:12 pm
      I would love if Messi won the award like 10 times in a row :D

He's that good, I don't even think it's impossible, however unlikely. Such a great guy as well, can't feel any hatred towards him even though he is from Argentina!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #26: Jan 07, 2013 08:46:13 pm
      I would love if Messi won the award like 10 times in a row :D

He's that good, I don't even think it's impossible, however unlikely. Such a great guy as well, can't feel any hatred towards him even though he is from Argentina!
      Don't ye like the argies Diego ?
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #27: Jan 07, 2013 09:06:59 pm
      Just having a look through the list of who voted for who, thought Casillas was better than this:

Captain, Spain, Casillas Iker: Ramos Sergio, Cristiano Ronaldo, Xavi

Not going for Messi but going for two team mates that he knows weren't as good last year.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #28: Jan 07, 2013 09:17:00 pm
      Don't ye like the argies Diego ?

In football, I usually don't!

In fact, I tend to like Argentine footballers - just hate them when they're together playing for the national team. That's when I love seeing them fail :P
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #29: Jan 07, 2013 10:44:35 pm
      I'm surprised RVP didn't get more votes tho.

Scotland's Captain voted for him!!
      As did the Captain of Wales presumably by way of an apology for nearly killing him!!!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #30: Jan 07, 2013 10:47:34 pm
      In football, I usually don't!

In fact, I tend to like Argentine footballers - just hate them when they're together playing for the national team. That's when I love seeing them fail :P
      :laugh:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #31: Jan 07, 2013 10:47:59 pm
      La Liga XI.
      Boring selections.
      Front / Mid 3 pick themselves, but
      Shocking selection for defence.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #32: Jan 08, 2013 12:26:04 am
      Pfft. Might as well change the name from Ballon d'Or to the Messi Appreciation society.

How Marcelo got in there ahead of someone like Jordi Alba I'll never know.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #33: Jan 08, 2013 12:59:42 am
      Surprised they had this event on the same evening as an Everton game, that clears up why Leon Osman didn't win.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #34: Jan 08, 2013 01:11:39 am
      I felt so much of it was wrong.

1) On the women's side, not sure how Marta was nominated ahead of Christine Sinclair. She's been phenomenal for Canada. I have no issue with Abby Wambach winning. She's a top quality striker in the women's game, while Alex Morgan had a great year.

2) The world XI: like them or hate them, but Robin van Persie and Andrea Pirlo definitely deserved places in that team. At CB, did Gerard Pique have a better year than Mats Hummels or Giorgio Chiellini for example? Did he f**k. What about Phillip Lahm? Surely he was deserving of a place at either LB or RB. There are a number of players deserving that weren't voted for by their peers. Some strange omissions IMO

3) I hate Cristiano Ronaldo, but I kinda feel this could have been his this year. I'm not taking anything away from 91 goals in a calendar year -- that's simply amazing! -- but Ronaldo's goals helped Real win La Liga and pushed Portugal to the semis of the Euros despite starting in the "group of death." That was a very good year that's been underrated. I mean, whoever won the award would have been deserving, but I'm inclined to think Ronaldo should have slightly edged it (or at least gotten closer).
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2013 01:26:57 am by TheRedMosquito »
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #35: Jan 08, 2013 01:13:38 am
      Maybe if Ronaldo took a penalty at the Euros this would all have gone differently...
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #36: Jan 08, 2013 01:17:32 am
      Maybe if Ronaldo took a penalty at the Euros this would all have gone differently...

Messi shat bricks vs Chelsea. That's unforgivable! :laugh:
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #37: Jan 08, 2013 01:38:40 am
      Not surprised at the Winner.  Messi is just far and above anyone else right now. I have never seen a more complete, dominant athlete in their sport, than Lionel Messi. He is perfection.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #38: Jan 08, 2013 06:49:55 am
      Not surprised at the Winner.  Messi is just far and above anyone else right now. I have never seen a more complete, dominant athlete in their sport, than Lionel Messi. He is perfection.
      So true so very true also he does not appear to attract any bad publicity.He just gets on with the job of scoring goals.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #39: Jan 08, 2013 02:46:06 pm
      2) The world XI: like them or hate them, but Robin van Persie and Andrea Pirlo definitely deserved places in that team. At CB, did Gerard Pique have a better year than Mats Hummels or Giorgio Chiellini for example? Did he f**k. What about Phillip Lahm? Surely he was deserving of a place at either LB or RB. There are a number of players deserving that weren't voted for by their peers. Some strange omissions IMO

I agree this whole La Liga XI was an exaggeration, there are players outside Spain who should be there, but I don't really think RvP is one of them. Yes, he was brilliant, but for me a front 3 of Ronaldo, Messi and Falcao is unquestionable.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #40: Jan 08, 2013 03:06:18 pm
      I agree this whole La Liga XI was an exaggeration, there are players outside Spain who should be there, but I don't really think RvP is one of them. Yes, he was brilliant, but for me a front 3 of Ronaldo, Messi and Falcao is unquestionable.

I disagree. Nothing against Falcao, but I think van Persie had a slightly better 2012 than he did. Carried Arsenal, now carrying United as well. He's been clutch. They do have the same basic strike rate: 37 in 48 for Arsenal in 2011-2012 and 20 in 26 for United this season (all competitions), compared to 36 in 50 and 20 in 16. RvP has 1 more international goal than Falcao in 2012, though playing for the Netherlands is easier than Colombia in fairness.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2741 
      Reply #41: Jan 08, 2013 03:13:05 pm
      Casillas, Pique, Alves and Marcelo are ridiculous choices IMO. Not convinced about Xavi either, think others have had a better season.

Falcao and RVP were very close so can't complain about that. Guess the Europa League and Super Cup performances swung that in his favour.

Unbelievable that not a single Juve player got in after their unbeaten league season and the Italians there got to the Euro final as well.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #42: Jan 08, 2013 03:15:27 pm

It's all opinions but you can't say Falcao hasn't been clutch either! Scored winning goals in the Europa League final and destroyed Chelsea in the Super Cup.

Personally I prefer Falcao as a player, only the thought of him playing alongside Messi and Ronaldo is mouth watering.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #43: Jan 08, 2013 03:32:29 pm
      It's all opinions but you can't say Falcao hasn't been clutch either! Scored winning goals in the Europa League final and destroyed Chelsea in the Super Cup.

Personally I prefer Falcao as a player, only the thought of him playing alongside Messi and Ronaldo is mouth watering.

Maybe he's a bit fortunate that Arsenal never have a hope of winning a trophy ;D, because no doubt RvP would have netted in any final the way he's played for two seasons now. We'll just disagree here. I think Falcao had an outstanding year, but van Persie edged it.

Casillas, Pique, Alves and Marcelo are ridiculous choices IMO. Not convinced about Xavi either, think others have had a better season.

Falcao and RVP were very close so can't complain about that. Guess the Europa League and Super Cup performances swung that in his favour.

Unbelievable that not a single Juve player got in after their unbeaten league season and the Italians there got to the Euro final as well.

I'd agree there. Neuer was excellent last year. He even scored in the CL shootout! haha

You know what I think is a big snub? The fact that Jürgen Klopp wasn't even on the shortlist for male coach of the year. I mean come on! Back-to-back Bundesliga champs, won the double last season, and did it all on a shoestring budget. Not to mention Dortmund have been fantastic in this year's CL.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #44: Jan 08, 2013 04:01:59 pm

Probably the only part of the XI beyond reproach.

Quick Reply