Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Boateng and Milan stop friendly match because of racist chants

Read 4593 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Boateng and Milan stop friendly match because of racist chants
      Jan 03, 2013 07:52:43 pm
      Stop the game because of racist chants against Boateng 03-01-2013

Massive respect for Kevin Prince Boateng.

I hope more players, teams and referees would start doing the same - not only in friendlies, but in league, cup and European matches as well.

Don't play for racists.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Re: Boateng and Milan stop friendly match because of racist chants
      Reply #1: Jan 03, 2013 07:56:10 pm
      People are disgusting.

Well on KPB and Milan. Why continue on when you are being abused in such a disgusting manner.

I hope to see more of this my self too Diego
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #2: Jan 03, 2013 08:00:50 pm
      Well done KPB and Milan.

Hopefully, this will be how racism from the stands is dealt with until it disappears for good.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Jan 03, 2013 08:05:28 pm
      Exactly how it should be dealt with but it wouldn't surprise me if UEFA don't fine them for leaving the pitch.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #4: Jan 03, 2013 08:14:17 pm
      Exactly how it should be dealt with but it wouldn't surprise me if UEFA don't fine them for leaving the pitch.

:roll: Yeah, that sounds about right.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Jan 03, 2013 08:25:28 pm
      The only problem with abandoning match's for racism in my opinion is if a team is being beat and the opposition fans start chanting racist remarks to get the game abandoned.

It should be dealt with by uefa don't get me wrong.

But use common sense in it.

If its one or two fans, fine the club.

If its a large group of fans, make them play with no fans for 5 games or so.

If its the vast majority of fans, ban them from European competitions if they are competing in any, if not ban them from making transfers.

If a fan thinks they are going to seriously F**k things up for their club, they'll think twice about doing it.

But Uefa need to draw a line in the sand and make sure the consequences are known and that it will be a zero tollerance attitude when dealing with it.

Fair play to Milan and KVP this sort of behaviour has no place in any day or age, let alone this one.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #6: Jan 03, 2013 08:32:36 pm
      This sort of behavior is ridiculous. Well done to KPB and Milan for walking out.

Now what I don't understand is why fans are allowed to do this? You don't typically see this kind of behavior over here in the states at NFL games, NBA games, MLB games etc.... Security at the venues wouldn't put up with it.

I was at a game in Dallas a few weeks back and they took someone in our section out because they were being verbally abusive to the fans around them....they simply won't allow individuals to act that way, nevermind entire groups of them.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #7: Jan 03, 2013 09:05:47 pm
      Fair play. Definitely the right thing to do
      Bier
      Reply #8: Jan 04, 2013 05:06:22 am
      Now what I don't understand is why fans are allowed to do this? You don't typically see this kind of behavior over here in the states at NFL games, NBA games, MLB games etc.... Security at the venues wouldn't put up with it.

I was at a game in Dallas a few weeks back and they took someone in our section out because they were being verbally abusive to the fans around them....they simply won't allow individuals to act that way, nevermind entire groups of them.

The US probably doesn't have a hooligan culture in sports? If you want to go after those people then you need to be prepared to take on everybody in that stand, which often results in a riot. They're not easy to control. That's even a problem in my country. There haven't been away supporters for 4 years now whenever Ajax and Feyenoord play against each other because of it, it resulted in a warzone each time they played.
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2013 05:22:42 am by Bier »
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #9: Jan 04, 2013 02:44:33 pm
      Unbelievable this still goes on.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #10: Jan 04, 2013 03:24:42 pm
      The only problem with abandoning match's for racism in my opinion is if a team is being beat and the opposition fans start chanting racist remarks to get the game abandoned.

It should be dealt with by uefa don't get me wrong.

But use common sense in it.

If its one or two fans, fine the club.

If its a large group of fans, make them play with no fans for 5 games or so.

If its the vast majority of fans, ban them from European competitions if they are competing in any, if not ban them from making transfers.

If a fan thinks they are going to seriously f**k things up for their club, they'll think twice about doing it.

But Uefa need to draw a line in the sand and make sure the consequences are known and that it will be a zero tollerance attitude when dealing with it.

Fair play to Milan and KVP this sort of behaviour has no place in any day or age, let alone this one.

I agree with you mate, the responsibility of doing something about this is certainly with UEFA and FIFA, but right now they're still way too complacent about it*, so I do hope to see more players and teams doing the same as KPB and Milan, even in games that matter something. It'll force the ones responsible to actually do something about it, once competitions start to get screwed up because of racism. Human rights are more of a priority than sporting contests.

* FIFA just gave the right to host a World Cup to Russia, a country where black players are abused on a weekly basis...
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #11: Jan 18, 2013 12:56:07 am
      When are people ever going to wake up?.

We will never get rid of racism, and i mean never.

It is a part of life, always has been and always will be.

You can have all the campaigns in the world, they won't make a blind bit of difference.

In 50 years time racism will be just as rife as it is now. Especially with the racial integration that occurs through immigration across the world.

In the pubs, on the streets, it will always be there.

The funny thing is this, if people didn't make such a F***ing fuss about it, it would probably go away.

I never thought i'd see the day that golliwogs would be taken off marmalade jars and the removal of school blackboards.

It is a very sad world that we live in.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Jan 18, 2013 01:19:08 am
      You can have all the campaigns in the world, they won't make a blind bit of difference.

Tell that to the black people who weren't allowed to use the same bathroom as white people in the US, and now can become president of the country...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #13: Jan 18, 2013 03:13:37 pm
      I think Hardcore is right that it will never go away but don't agree that campaigns haven't made a difference as Diego quite rightly points out.

If nothing is done it may be seen to be accepted and get worse but by at least trying to tackle the problem and educate then it is at least possible to make improvements.
      « Last Edit: Jan 18, 2013 03:52:50 pm by srslfc »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14: Jan 18, 2013 03:47:14 pm
      I think Hardcore is right that it will never go away but don't agree that campaigns haven't made a difference as Diego quite rightly points out.

Exactly mate.

I don't foresee racism being extinguished from our society but to say nothing should be done about it is ridiculous. Life standards of black people all over the world have increased significantly over the last few decades, thanks to people standing up and fighting for their rights. Not so long ago black people in the US couldn't even go to the same schools as white people, now they have one of them in the White House (like the guy or not).

How many people have been jailed, murdered, beaten up, humiliated over the centuries so that Obama could become President in the 2000's? Too many people. So saying fighting racism makes no difference is utterly ignorant and even disrespectful.

Saying "it will go away if you ignore it" is easy when it's not you or your children being treated like monkeys or some lower human being. It's veiled racism at its best (or worst).
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #15: Jan 18, 2013 03:53:29 pm
      It's like John Barnes always says though, it's only going to stop people being racist for two hours when they go to a football match.

The issue shouldn't be "racism in football." It's just racism period.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #16: Jan 18, 2013 03:55:47 pm
      It's like John Barnes always says though, it's only going to stop people being racist for two hours when they go to a football match.

I agree mate and was talking about racism in general as it's not a football problem.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #17: Jan 18, 2013 04:01:40 pm

Yes, of course.
      Even Seedorf said he thinks Milan were wrong in leaving the match, for they "gave power to the idiots in the stands". I disagree but I totally see his logic.

However, to say fighting racism doesn't make a difference is pure ignorance, there's no two ways about it.

It's easy to say "just let it go" when you're not you suffering racism yourself.

Quick Reply