Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Brad Jones
      25 (31.6%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      13 (16.5%)
      Jamie Carragher
      11 (13.9%)
      Stewart Downing
      9 (11.4%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      16 (20.3%)
      Someone else
      5 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: Jan 09, 2013 08:27:05 pm

Mansfield Town 1:2 Liverpool, In game & post match debate.

Read 33876 times
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: Mansfield Town 1:2 Liverpool, In game & post match debate.
      Reply #506: Jan 07, 2013 01:03:07 am
      Luis Suarez has just told Sky Sports News that he handled the ball to score because he feared that he might get killed if he headed the ball

At least Suarez was honest enough to admit it. The way Suarez slammed the ball into the net suggests that he did not expect to get a goal. Sometimes, stranger things have happened in life. On a fair note, I'd prefer a draw and to bring the tie back to Anfield in return for Mansfield gestures. I feel for Mansfiled as they do rely on these games against big clubs to boost their revenue. There must be some ways that LFC can repay their gesture. The way their captain exchanged jersey wih Suarez after the game was a class act, maximum repect for Manfield. Hope they get themselves out of the non-league.

Some players need to question their performance in the 2nd half. Sturridege coming off was most probably a right move, perhaps BR woudln't want him to get injured when he's not at full fitness while the pitch was in a bad shape.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #507: Jan 07, 2013 01:08:56 am
      Tony Evans on The Times - Spare us the false rage: Luis SuĂĄrez merely did what he is paid to do

Just when you thought it was safe to say nice things about Luis Suárez, he goes and does it again. The dirty, cheating little so-and-so. There were even the first rumbling suggestions that he could be a potential footballer of the year. It couldn’t last. Once again, Suárez is the most reviled foreigner since Abu Hamza.

The Uruguay forward has again outraged the British sense of fair play. To make it worse, he didn’t even pick on someone his own size. Little Mansfield Town, those plucky non-Leaguers, deserved better, surely?

Spare us the false rage. SuĂĄrez merely did what he is paid to do: score goals. The howls of outrage are hypocritical.

There are very few supporters who are horrified when their team cheat to score or stop a goal. Liverpool fans would have been grinning all the way back to Merseyside last night. Few bleeding hearts there.

It’s not just foreigners who do this sort of thing, either. Francis Lee, a man as English as Eccles cakes, deliberately knocked in a cross with a hand in an FA Cup match against Tottenham Hotspur in 1973. He gloated that the goal, the decisive score in a 3-2 win for Manchester City, “came in handy, a handy header”. It’s part of City folklore, a tale told with a smile and no sense of shame. Tottenham fans will never forgive Lee. That’s how it works.

Plenty of people will invoke some unrealistic and non-existent Corinthian spirit, but right and wrong tend to be entirely subjective in football. In Cameroon, they remember the World Cup quarter-final of 1990 as “the game when Gary Lineker dived”. In England, he’s a national treasure — he wouldn’t shift many packets of crisps in West Africa.

Those calling for Suárez to own up should consider the reverse scenario. Imagine a defender is hit on the hand in the penalty area and the referee misses it — as frequently happens. Would anyone expect the player to alert the official and ask him to give a penalty to the opposition?

It would almost be a sacking offence. So why would anyone expect the Liverpool forward to act differently?

It is easy to make a case that SuĂĄrez deserves his folk demon status. He bit Otman Bakkal, the PSV Eindhoven midfielder, in the face three years ago when playing for Ajax. It was an ugly, violent incident that brought him a long suspension.

There was a long ban, too, for his altercation with Patrice Evra at Anfield last season. That racially tinged spat had a corrosive effect on everyone it touched. But yesterday’s handball — and the infamous last-minute “save” against Ghana in the World Cup in South Africa — was entirely different. The vast majority of players would have acted in a similar manner.

Across football there are numerous people who are driven by an obsessive will to win. A handball here, a tugged shirt there, are commonplace. They do little harm. There are darker sides to this obsession.

There are some who are wilfully reckless on the pitch and put opposition players at risk. Worse, there are those whose fierce competitiveness leads them deliberately to hurt their rivals. This is where the focus of outrage should be aimed, at players who threaten health and careers.

SuĂĄrez is often the victim of those who try to use brute strength to stop the opposition. His trickery and range of skills leave him susceptible to rugged treatment, some of which exceeds the standards of decency by some way.

His reputation as a diver, a cheat and a serial handballer makes it easier to ignore this. And when he is kicked up in the air, many of those who rage against his unsportsmanlike behaviour will take pleasure in his pain. They will enjoy the sight of a cheat getting his comeuppance. The duplicity involved in these moral gymnastics will probably not even occur to them.

SuĂĄrez is one of the great pleasures of the Barclays Premier League at the moment. Along with Robin van Persie, he is playing at an elevated level of skill that brings a sanity and beauty to a game that appears increasingly haphazard and physical.

He is the sort of player you love when he is wearing your club’s colours and you hate when he is in opposition.

So let’s have less of the hysteria.

The real danger to the game is when brute force triumphs over talent. That is when we should be truly outraged. Sadly, we very rarely are.

http://lfcts.tumblr.com/post/39884701046/tony-evans-on-the-times-spare-us-the-false-rage-luis

Excellent article by Tony Evans.

Yeah just read that too H2H, he'd certainly earn a +1 for that!
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #508: Jan 07, 2013 01:11:07 am
      Yeah just read that too H2H, he'd certainly earn a +1 for that!

Yes indeed, definitely worth a +1. He'd have a lot of them if he was a member here.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #509: Jan 07, 2013 01:26:44 am
      Ok so, did anyone see the Posh Totty mansfield chief exec.  Nothing quite like a bit of PT. 

So, just remind me where is Mansfield? 
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #510: Jan 07, 2013 01:40:18 am
      Ok so, did anyone see the Posh Totty mansfield chief exec.  Nothing quite like a bit of PT. 

Yes, I saw her... very nice indeed.  :)

Mansfield is where the red marker is:

jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #511: Jan 07, 2013 03:23:38 am
      has been poor today, which exmplains his absence from the first tea

Or is it the other way around?
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #512: Jan 07, 2013 04:11:18 am
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #513: Jan 07, 2013 09:17:59 am
      To be fair, sly sports are all over it as you'd expect a vulture to be, but Suarez is actually getting a good hearing.

redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #514: Jan 07, 2013 10:10:36 am
       :f_steam:As expected the gutters are crucifying Luis yet again. All because that match commentator Champion off ESPN called him a cheat.  Scumbag.  :f_steam:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #515: Jan 07, 2013 10:32:55 am
      :f_steam:As expected the gutters are crucifying Luis yet again. All because that match commentator Champion off ESPN called him a cheat.  Scumbag.  :f_steam:

The n*b commentator on MOTD used the same word.

Former referee Graham Poll says Luis Suarez is blameless for his handball in his side's FA cup win over Mansfield. (Daily Mail) 
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #516: Jan 07, 2013 10:39:59 am
      Anyone else and nobody would give a sh*t - should get him fired up for next weekend (as if he needed it).
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #517: Jan 07, 2013 10:45:22 am
      Pretty nervous stuff especially in the second half, I'm sure one ore more teams will go alehouse against us, the hysterical and sanctimonious reaction to the second goal is totally ridiculous, people saying Luis should own up even though the officials saw it, please explain the logic to me on that one. As for Jon Champion, in the tributes to Christopher Martin-Jenkins the cricket commentator one person said the great thing about him was that he tried to shy away from the opinion based commentary that is so prevelant these days and would just state what happened without resorting to hysterical hyperbole. Please to be in the next round although it will be tough at the coldest ground in the history of the world.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #518: Jan 07, 2013 10:59:38 am
      As for Jon Champion, in the tributes to Christopher Martin-Jenkins the cricket commentator one person said the great thing about him was that he tried to shy away from the opinion based commentary that is so prevelant these days and would just state what happened without resorting to hysterical hyperbole.

F***ing hypocrite of the highest order, makes you wonder if his brain and speech facilities are coordinated.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #519: Jan 07, 2013 11:02:10 am
      F***ing hypocrite of the highest order, makes you wonder if his brain and speech facilities are coordinated.
      Spot on, I'm not sure if much was made of Guy Mowbray's commentary on motd of the Sunderland game when he said 'how much longer can Liverpool hang on to him ?' Typical BBC bullshit.
      Matt_
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 46 posts |
      Reply #520: Jan 07, 2013 11:28:38 am
      Thought it was a decent performance on a terrible pitch, something that was always gonna affect us more than them as we like to pass the ball. Jones mad some good saves as well as flapping at a few but overall did well. I thought Downing had another good solid positive game running with the ball as often as he could, again something hard to do when the ball is bobbling and bouncing all over.
      Overall, these games are never easy but we're through to the next round. Bring on United next week  :)
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #521: Jan 07, 2013 11:30:28 am

I live about 13 miles away and believe me when I say she isn't typical !!!!!
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #522: Jan 07, 2013 11:36:14 am
      There's one thing that the majority of the critics seem to be missing when they say Luis should have owned up and said it was handball.
      The officials didn't miss it!!!
      The 4th official was quizzed by Mansfield and replied yes it was handball but the ref says it wasn't deliberate.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #523: Jan 07, 2013 11:47:03 am
      Quote from Rush
      Was Henry called a cheat when he virtually knocked RoI out of the world cup with his handball?

Yes he was, and rightly so. There was two handballs in that one.

I can't decide if Suarez goal was accidental or not. Some replays show it was, some don't. If it wasn't, there's no point in trying to justify it, it's still wrong. You're not supposed to handle the ball in this sport, simple as. However if it happened the other way round, there wouldn't have been anywhere near the same outcry.

The game itself was everything you expect an away game in the third round of the cup to be. It's all about them, it was their big day out on a dreadful pitch, and they were not going to lie down. For us, it's all about getting through.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #524: Jan 07, 2013 11:51:11 am
      James Lawton, Chief Sprots writer for The independent.

"You didn't have to be a supporter of Mansfield to believe SuĂĄrez had come off the bench with diabolical intent."

Probably the best I've heard.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #525: Jan 07, 2013 11:53:37 am
      James Lawton, Chief Sprots writer for The independent.

"You didn't have to be a supporter of Mansfield to believe SuĂĄrez had come off the bench with diabolical intent."

Probably the best I've heard.

Mr Burns - Excellent
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #526: Jan 07, 2013 12:06:25 pm
      Luis made no attempt to put his arm in the trajectory of the ball, his arm was in that position as the ball began it's ascent and eventually struck him. Decisions in that position are extremely contentious and can go either way, by the letter of the law given those facts the goal must stand.
      For it to be given the official must have a clear, unobstructed aspect of the incident which appears to be the case here.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #527: Jan 07, 2013 12:23:58 pm
      I saw Suarez handle the ball, I also saw him instinctively pull his arm down and away from it as well.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #528: Jan 07, 2013 12:28:58 pm
      I live about 13 miles away and believe me when I say she isn't typical !!!!!

Do you mean the story that was around in the press regarding her previous er.... Employment

Quick Reply