Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Liverpool's Worldwide Fanbase

Read 17383 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Liverpool's Worldwide Fanbase
      Jan 11, 2013 11:16:06 am
      I was reading this BBC article earlier today, and I saw a disturbing image:

- Is it possible that Chelsea have gained nearly twice the amount of fans we have (since 2003)?

- Is it possible that Arsenal are "bigger" worldwide than we are?

- And how on earth did United gain over 350m fans when they only ever go to the States?

I'm calling foul on these figures. I think they've been edited to please the media darlings that are United - but I'd appreciate if people could give their input on this. Perhaps someone could even research it in-depth, because it is irking me.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Liverpool's Worldwide Fanbase
      Reply #1: Jan 11, 2013 11:49:05 am
      LFC: Twitter's most global club
      11th Jan 2013 - Latest News

Liverpool FC have this month overtaken FC Barcelona as the world's most globally active club on the social media platform Twitter.

Despite being one of the very first Premier League clubs to launch an official Twitter account back in 2009, the only way the club engaged with fans on Twitter until November 2012 was via the English-language @LFC account.

With more than 1.4 million followers, it's proved an incredibly successful tool for reaching out to fans all over the world, but for supporters unable to converse in English the language barrier has excluded them from joining the daily conversations.

That is now beginning to change with the launch of the first wave of official LFC international Twitter accounts that have opened up the club to fans in more than 75 different countries around the world - the first stage in a major club-wide initiative to change the way we communicate with fans overseas.

Whilst Barcelona and Chelsea remain ahead of the likes of Real Madrid, Arsenal and Manchester City, with five different language Twitter accounts each - including English and Catalonian respectively - Liverpool can now boast no fewer than nine different Twitter accounts, eight of which were launched within the last two months.

Official accounts for Thailand and Indonesia were the first to begin tweeting in November and remain the two most followed local-language LFC accounts to date.

A French-language account @LFCFrance followed - bringing LFC content to fans in no fewer than 29 countries across Europe and Africa - before the Spanish-language @LFCEspanol connected fans not just in Spain but throughout more than 18 countries in Latin America - including Uruguay, Mexico, Columbia and Argentina.

@LFCIndia, the first official Twitter account dedicated to Indian supporters by a Premier League club, launched on Christmas Eve and attracted just over 3,000 followers in three days while @LFC_Arabic, launched on January 1st and servicing fans in 22 countries, proved even more popular - amassing more than 9,000 followers in just nine days.

The most recent launches - @TurkeyLFC and @LFCBangladesh, tweeting in Bengali - again prove that Liverpool is prepared to go where other clubs won't if it means enhancing the digital experience for supporters. As with the Indian account, no other club in the world - outside of Turkey or Bangladesh - currently operates an official Twitter account for either their Turkish or Bangladeshi fans.

"We recently set ourselves the challenge of making 2013 the year when we'd bring our fans all over the world closer to the club," explained Paul Rogers, head of international digital development at LFC.

"Liverpool is one of only a handful of clubs that can truly claim to have a global following and as such, it stands to reason that for many of our supporters, English won't be their first language.

"This new initiative, to communicate on a daily basis with more fans than ever before, won't simply be confined to Twitter either. A comprehensive new programme of international activity has been developed to interact with supporters all over the world and despite this only being the beginning of a three-stage plan, the feedback from fans has already been incredibly positive.

"On December 16, we launched an official LFC presence on the Tencent social media platform in China and in less than a month, we've attracted more than 270,000 new followers. This is in addition to the 400,000-plus fans we already have following our official account on Sina Weibo, China's Twitter equivalent, whilst in Brazil, we've just this week launched an official Portuguese-language Instagram account.

"Further international activity is already in development for release throughout 2013 - including the launch of fully localised language websites  - as we attempt to deliver on our promise to truly connect the global LFC family online."

Link
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Jan 11, 2013 11:51:32 am
      Liverpool most popular club on Twitter

Submitted by aloadofw**k.com on Thu, 12/13/2012 - 02:39

Liverpool are the most talked about club on Twitter in the UK.

The #LFC hashtag pipped Manchester United's #MUFC in the Twitter list.

2012.twitter.com collected data to discover the sporting events which were most tweeted about in the UK.

The #Paralympics was top, with #LFC second, #MUFC third and #Olympics fourth.

Arsenal (6th), Leeds (8th) and Spurs (9th) were the other football clubs to make the top 10.

Link

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #3: Jan 11, 2013 11:54:28 am
      Appreciate your effort, Racer.

Personally, I can't see a correlation between Twitter followers and worldwide fanbase. But I guess that's just me.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Jan 11, 2013 11:58:00 am
      Appreciate your effort, Racer.

Personally, I can't see a correlation between Twitter followers and worldwide fanbase. But I guess that's just me.

Twitter is a global platform.

Personally, I thought it might offer balance against, what I saw as, a flawed/biased BBC representation.

Certainly, in Ireland, United and Liverpool are still the biggest. Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs are about the same and you would do well to find any City Merchandise.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Jan 11, 2013 12:03:29 pm
      This starts to highlight the problem for us, when we move to foreign markets.
      Big name players create big sales as well as success on the pitch.
      Take note FSG.

Robin van Persie top of North American shirt sales

Manchester United forward leads Wayne Rooney in sales of official Barclays Premier League shirts

Robin van Persie leads Wayne Rooney in the North American sales

Robin van Persie’s popularity at Manchester United since joining from Arsenal in the summer is demonstrated by news that his is the best-selling official Barclays Premier League shirt in North America this season.
      Figures released by Sporting ID, which produces the names, numbers and sleeve badges of the Barclays Premier League, show that the United forward, who has scored 11 Premier League goals so far, leads his United strike partner Wayne Rooney, who was found to have had the best-selling shirt in the League’s history. In third is Chelsea striker Fernando Torres.

"North American soccer fans support the Barclays Premier League as fanatically as anywhere else"
      Robert Thayne

United States striker Clint Dempsey is the biggest mover, rising to sixth after his move from Fulham to Tottenham Hotspur in August. Dempsey is the first US player to make the top 10 in North American sales.
      "North American soccer fans continue to support the Barclays Premier League as fanatically as anywhere else, often waking at 4am to catch games on TV," said Sporting iD’s global sales and marketing director Robert Thayne. "Players like Van Persie, Eden Hazard, Clint Dempsey, Steven Gerrard and Jack Wilshere are top-class players playing for the biggest clubs in the world and their fans in North America are really no different than the ones who live in the UK.

“They are clearly showing their support of these players and their club by personalizing jerseys with official Premier League player names, numbers and sleeve badges.”

Top-selling official Barclays Premier League player jerseys in North America

1. Robin van Persie (Manchester United)
      2. Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)
      3. Fernando Torres (Chelsea)
      4. Eden Hazard (Chelsea)
      5. Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
      6. Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur)
      7. Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
      8. Javier Hernandez (Manchester United)
      9. Shinji Kagawa (Manchester United)
      10. Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)
      (Based on name and number sales for the 2012/13 season to date)

Premier League Link

indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #6: Jan 11, 2013 12:04:26 pm
      In india United have a great fan base. Arsenal may come second with us edging with chelsea. Mainly because we didn't had PL coverage in the elite years of liverpool here.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Jan 11, 2013 12:11:37 pm
      A list of Premier League's best-selling player shirts

7 Nov 2012

It’s obvious that some football players are more popular with supporters than others. A player’s popularity can often be gauged by the number of fans that buy and/or wear his shirt. Courtesy of the Daily Mail, here’s a list of most of the 20 Premier League teams and their three most popular-selling shirts. Chelsea apparently refused to give any details and Aston Villa simply said that 70 per cent of their shirt sales are Christain Benteke.

Some of these may come as a surprise to you, but here’s the list for interest’s sake. The names aren’t in any particular order, but these are each team’s most popular shirt sellers.

Arsenal
      Thomas Vermaelen, Jack Wilshere, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Everton
      Steven Pienaar, Marouane Fellaini, Nikica Jelavic

Fulham
      Kerim Frei, Mladen Petric, Brede Hangeland

Liverpool
      Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Jamie Carragher

Manchester United
      Shinji Kagawa, Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney

Manchester City
      Sergio Aguero, Mario Balotelli, David Silva

Newcastle
      Yohan Cabaye, Papiss Demba Cisse, Ben Arfa

Norwich
      Russell Martin, Grant Holt, Jonathan Howson

Queens Park Rangers
      Ji-Sung Park, Adel Taarabt, Djibril Cisse

Reading
      Pavel Pogrebnyak, Adam Le Fondre, Karacan

Swansea
      Michu, Nathan Dyer, Danny Graham

Southampton
      Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana, Jay Rodriguez

Sunderland
      James McClean, Stephane Sessegnon, Sebastian Larsson

Stoke
      Peter Crouch, Robert Huth, Ryan Shawcross

Tottenham
      Gareth Bale, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Rafael van der Vaart

Wigan
      Shaun Maloney, Arouna Kone, Franco Di Santo

West Ham
      Kevin Nolan, Mark Noble and James Tomkins

West Brom
      Romelu Lukaku, Shane Long, Peter Odemwingie

Link

chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #8: Jan 11, 2013 12:38:47 pm
      The LFC and twitter thing is a bit unreliable lads, think back on all the stuff that happened last year and its no wonder. Suarez/Evra,Both cup finals, Comolli and other staff getting the sack, KD going BR arriving, Hillsborough apology, new kits, possible re development/new stadium, Majority of England Euro squad were LFC players, and countless ITK reports on this that and that, doesn't mean very much its just gossip 90% of the time. Its basically electronic aul ones having a natter and that was a lot to happen in a year.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: Jan 11, 2013 12:39:48 pm
      Personally I think the United figures are bullshit.
      Given the rest are close together:

If every fan bought the equivalent of a jersey(name included) you are looking at €100.
      That's

7,100,000,000 in sales for us.
      35,500,000,000 in sales for United.

No way in hell have they a 35 Billion (American Valuation) potential turnover of merchandise sales.

Even if we halfed it that's still 17.75 Billion.
      Half the other values and it looks in the region of 3-4 Billion.

That's probably a max value of potential earnings, more realistic is the turnover is 1-2 Billion for a top club.

In that respect I think the United figures are sh*te.

I think you could probably half the United figure.
      It puts them at 177.5 Million.
      That gives you a max value of 3-4 Billion and a more realistic value approaching 2 Billion.
      It still puts them ahead of most of the other clubs, who are performing below their potential, rather than lacking in support.
      « Last Edit: Jan 11, 2013 01:02:23 pm by racerx34 »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #10: Jan 11, 2013 01:04:15 pm
      - Is it possible that Chelsea have gained nearly twice the amount of fans we have (since 2003)?

- And how on earth did United gain over 350m fans when they only ever go to the States?

United have been ridiculously dominant in the period when football - and most of all, the Premier League - went global. Of course, a club of our history and even our recent trophies (UEFA Cup, UCL, etc) will always draw big interest, but in the end, it's to be expected that they have a far bigger worldwide fan base than ours.

Same can be said about Arsenal. Not that they have been dominant in terms of trophies won, but they've always been close to the top. And even more, they developed a whole new "brand" based on attacking and entertaining football (nothing to do with the pre-globalization "boring, boring Arsenal" of old). The unbeaten team of 03/04 certainly helped as well.

That said, I'm also skeptical about those numbers. I wouldn't have expected Chelsea to have a fan base twice as big as ours, nor United to be that dominant. I work in a statistical company and I know how this kind of numbers can vary greatly depending on the methodology used. I'll try to find out how they calculated it later (haven't read the article yet).
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: Jan 11, 2013 01:07:53 pm
      To highlight how ridiculous I think these BBC figures are here are Forbes and Deloitte figures.

Forbes giving the value of the club:
      Link

#1 Manchester United ($2.23 billion)

#2 Real Madrid ($1.88 billion)

#3 New York Yankees ($1.85 billion)

#3 Dallas Cowboys ($1.85 billion)

#5 Washington Redskins ($1.56 billion)

#6 Los Angeles Dodgers ($1.4 billion)

#6 New England Patriots ($1.4 billion)

#8 Barcelona ($1.31 billion)

#9 New York Giants ($1.3 billion)

#10 Arsenal ($1.29 billion)

Deloitte giving the turnover of the club:

Link

1 Real Madrid - 479.9 M

2 Barcelona - 450.7 M

3 Man United - 367 M

4 Bayern - 321.4 M

5 Arsenal - 251.1 M

6 Chelsea - 249.8 M

7 AC Milan - 235.1 M

8 Inter - 211.4 M

9 Liverpool - 203.3 M
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #12: Jan 11, 2013 01:15:01 pm
      Liverpool FC are one of the biggest clubs in the world and everyone knows it, no BBC graph in 2013 thanks to "Sports Markt" can tell you otherwise.....
      LFCexiled
      Reply #13: Jan 11, 2013 01:43:00 pm
      I have no idea how you'd even to begin counting every fan worldwide, grab a calculator and close your eyes then tap a load of times and write the resulting number down?

I'd fully expect our fan base to dwindle worldwide because of our lack of success because 'outside' fans are led by the nose by viewing figures and publicity and more success = more publicity = more glory hunters, hence the chavs fan base growing but you can't count that.

Pure guess work for me like.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Jan 11, 2013 02:53:06 pm
      This is a pretty cool interactive map of club popularity across Britain:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2013/jan/11/premier-league-team-twitter-map?CMP=twt_fd
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #15: Jan 11, 2013 03:25:12 pm
      I believe that's right. Not the numbers exactly, but that ranking.

Chelsea's money allows them to buy big stars + they've been successful for nearly 10 years now. Arsenal are trophy-less in 7, but they're in the Champions League every single year of Wenger's reign. Maximum exposure there. United have been the most dominate English team the past 20 years.

We're popular too, but until we become consistent winners, growing the fanbase will be tough as far too many people only want to support a winning cause.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16: Jan 11, 2013 03:45:12 pm
      In india United have a great fan base. Arsenal may come second with us edging with chelsea. Mainly because we didn't had PL coverage in the elite years of liverpool here.

That is the key to it all.
      TV cometh later

The full article is interesting Reslivo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20974695

A lot of catching up to do and not just on the pitch.
      The Scum dont give a sh*t about DEBT when they have the big numbers coming in.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #17: Jan 11, 2013 04:25:18 pm
      I was reading this BBC article earlier today, and I saw a disturbing image:

I'm calling foul on these figures. I think they've been edited to please the media darlings that are United - but I'd appreciate if people could give their input on this. Perhaps someone could even research it in-depth, because it is irking me.

Perhaps you should provide a more detailed context on your post because this seems like a troll. These figures, which the BBC go out of their way to stress, are based upon a German company (SPORT+MARKT). Given the fact the Liverpool/United games are the most watched EPL game globally and, arguably, the most watched game in the world, would suggest their assumption is incorrect.
      « Last Edit: Jan 11, 2013 05:10:47 pm by 5timesacharm »
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #18: Jan 11, 2013 06:52:10 pm
      The figures more than likely change whenever someone wins a trophy. I bet in 2005 we were at the top of the pile and two years ago Man City had next to no global fans.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #19: Jan 11, 2013 09:18:31 pm
      There is not a chance the mancs global fanbase is 5 times larger than ours.

I would still guess they are first with us second, followed by the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea etc.

As racer says over here in Ireland us and the mancs are easily the top two.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #20: Jan 12, 2013 12:43:46 am
      Them figures are an absolute load of bollocks. We have by far one of the biggest fanbases in the world, much bigger than Arsenal, Shitty and Chav cu*ts. We probably have 71million fans in China never mind the F***ing world, don't believe anything BBC shitty sport have to say, they're totally anti Liverpool.

Liverpool and Utd are the most followed teams in Asia, and we have millions of followers from numerous other countries. I'd say Utd just edge us though because of their recent success and also the players they've had such as Park Ji-Sung and Shinji Kagawa, you wouldn't believe how much people will just start supporting a team and buying their merchandise just because one of their natives play for that side.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #21: Jan 12, 2013 01:15:21 am
      Even the most deluded Chelsea fans would struggle to believe they have a fanbase twice the size of ours.

Take those figures with a hefty bag of salt.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #22: Jan 12, 2013 01:47:54 am
      That is the key to it all.
      TV cometh later

The full article is interesting Reslivo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20974695

A lot of catching up to do and not just on the pitch.
      The Scum dont give a sh*t about DEBT when they have the big numbers coming in.

True that.

Where Liverpool FC built a legacy on a base of gold with passion and tears that continues to live on, Manchester United's legacy is one built on the most hollow of foundations where money and the markets dictate.

I guess the worst insult you could say about Ferguson's United is that they are a capitalist's wet dream and no more.

Quick Reply