Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Red Or Dead - New Novel about Bill Shankly

Read 3937 times
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Red Or Dead - New Novel about Bill Shankly
      Jan 15, 2013 12:43:49 pm
      Apologies mods if this isn't the best board for the topic.

David Peace, The Damned United Author, To Write Bill Shankly Novel 'Red Or Dead'

The Damned United author David Peace will write a "revolutionary novel" about Liverpool manager Bill Shankly, titled Red or Dead.

Shankly lay down the foundations for Liverpool's dominance of English football in the 70s and 80s and was in charge at Anfield for 15 years.

He won three league titles, two FA Cups and one Uefa Cup after hauling the club out of the Second Division in 1962.

Novelist Peace said:

"I've had enough of the bad men and the demons. Now I want to write about a good man. And a saint. A Red Saint. Bill Shankly was not just a great football manager. Bill Shankly was one of the greatest men who ever lived. And the supporters of Liverpool Football Club, and the people of Liverpool the city, know that and remember him. It's time everybody knew about Bill Shankly. About what he achieved, about what he believed. And how he led his life."

Red or Dead will be "the story of the rise of Liverpool Football Club and Bill Shankly", say publishers Faber & Faber.

The novel will be released in August 2013, a month prior to the centenary of Shankly’s birth.

Peace's The Damned United garnered much acclaim upon its release in 2006 for its "fiction based on fact" account of Brian Clough's 44 days in charge of Leeds United.

Former Leeds midfielder Johnny Giles successfully sued Faber & Faber for libel after Peace portrayed him as a mutineering loyalist of former Whites manager Don Revie.

The novel was made into a film in 2009, with Michael Sheen playing Clough and directed by Tom Hooper, of Les Misérables fame.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/15/david-peace-the-damned-united_n_2477990.html

I'm interested to say the least. He seems to be a fan of Shanks and wants to portray the Bill Shankly we know and love to the masses.

But does he have a flair for controversy? The stories in the news sold more copies of "The Damned United" than anything.

As well documented as Shanks' reign is I like the idea that "fiction based on fact" can bring if done well.

I'm looking forward to see how this turns out.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Re: Red Or Dead - New Novel about Bill Shankly
      Reply #1: Jan 15, 2013 01:16:54 pm
      Already online trying to get my copy
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #2: Jan 15, 2013 01:19:12 pm
      Already online trying to get my copy

Ha ha you'll be waiting for a while, not released for another seven months!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,234 posts | 2811 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Jan 15, 2013 01:36:44 pm
      Is Bill possibily the most written about manager of all time?
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #4: Jan 15, 2013 01:47:36 pm
      Ha ha you'll be waiting for a while, not released for another seven months!

;D just realised. Didnt know it hadnt been released.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: Jan 15, 2013 03:48:33 pm
      Sounds like a great read, but Brian Clough and his family loathed "The Damned United", so I'm also a bit skeptical... 
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Jan 15, 2013 06:36:58 pm

[

Shankly lay down the foundations for Liverpool's dominance of English football in the 70s and 80s and was in charge at Anfield for 15 years.

He won three league titles, two FA Cups and one Uefa Cup after hauling the club out of the Second Division in 1962.

N

T.
      /
      I'm interested to say the least. He seems to be a fan of Shanks and wants to portray the Bill Shankly we know and love to the masses.

And how could anybody not be a fan of Bill Shankly,with the help Of Bob and Joe he brought this club back to life when we were in the old 2nd division.Believe me it was fun days lining up to get into the Kop and standing on the kop in those days,Anfield was alive and vibrant with electric atmosphere.WE have signed plenty of topclass players over the years but full credit has to go to the Liverpool board for having the wisdom to sign THE LATE GREAT WILLIAM SHANKLY.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: Jan 16, 2013 07:45:10 am
      I am amazed that a thread about the great Bill Shankly has attracted so few posts,even if people were not around when Bill Shankly was  they must know about how he brought L.F.C. to life and set us up for 30 years of magnificence.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #8: Jan 16, 2013 08:03:30 am
      Be interesting to see how pearce portrays him before i say weather its a good or bad thing
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #9: Jan 16, 2013 10:16:38 am
      Sounds like a great read, but Brian Clough and his family loathed "The Damned United", so I'm also a bit skeptical... 

Maybe because it was close to the actual truth of what Clough was really like and they didn't want that made public?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: Jan 16, 2013 10:22:24 am
      Cloughie was an alcholic and a bully.Shankly was a philosopher and a scholar a genius.
      If ever the "Shankly show" comes back to the Royal Court theatre then you have to go and see it especially if you never saw Shank's.Alexander West did a fantastic job sends shivers down the spine and with a rousing chorus of YNWA at the end its just like going back to the good old days.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #11: Jan 16, 2013 10:23:25 am
      Cloughie was an alcholic and a bully.Shankly was a philosopher and a scholar a genius.

Don't get me wrong Walton as I'm not comparing the two, just that Clough's family were pissed off as it showed the level of the man.

Won't happen with Shankly.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,415 posts | 3409 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #12: Jan 16, 2013 10:26:39 am
      Don't get me wrong Walton as I'm not comparing the two, just that Clough's family were pissed off as it showed the level of the man.

I hope you're right, David Peace's previous stuff involves ficticious versions of real events doesn't bode well, personally I think he'll need to go into hiding.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #13: Jan 16, 2013 12:31:57 pm

No I understand but I saw the drama and I thought it was quite kind to him but I did not read the book.
      Very succesful people are not usually well rounded.Bill Shankly was not a man who understood success came from collective effort he was a master of motivation but in very subtle ways at times and at other times he was outrageous whilst still keeping a straight face.He was also a big fan of Matt Busby it would have been such a treat to have seen him  take ferguson apart.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #14: Jan 16, 2013 12:32:54 pm
      I hope you're right, David Peace's previous stuff involves ficticious versions of real events doesn't bode well, personally I think he'll need to go into hiding.
      I don't think he would dare to harm the memories of Bill Shankly it would not bode well for himif he does.

Quick Reply