Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Vegard Forren (Molde)

Read 10729 times
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Re: Vegard Forren (Molde)
      Reply #23: Jan 15, 2013 01:14:37 pm
      Maybe - but either way if he doesn't want to try and play for us, then no great loss I think.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24: Jan 15, 2013 01:21:21 pm
      Maybe - but either way if he doesn't want to try and play for us, then no great loss I think.

It has nothing to do with it being our club - he isn't a Liverpool fan so he won't have any emotional connection to the club at all. He will have a different mentality as to that we think about the club. If it was Southampton offering a trial and us offering a solid contract then he would choose us. This is about a player wanted to play regularly in the best league in the world. That's just like saying if Messi didn't want to try and play for us that he would be no great loss - get a grip mate. Don't bother saying "yes but you're comparing Messi to Forren" because it is irrelevant. The same principles apply.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #25: Jan 15, 2013 01:21:41 pm

Why waste a week of a transfer window almost half way through when other clubs seem very keen to get a deal done.

He might feel that we don't want him enough and best to go somewhere that shows genuine interest.

As I said this is not some novice 18 year old were talking about, it's a player with almost 150 games under his belt and 5 full internationals.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #26: Jan 15, 2013 01:33:49 pm
      Everybody calm down (no scouse pun intended)!

James Pearce has explained what happened on Twitter and although it is slightly contrary to the Echo's article, it's more believable.

We have not been outbid or out-fought by "relegation candidates" Southampton.

Rodgers never had any great desire to sign Forren but he was offered to us so Brendan essentially said, "Send him over then, we'll have a wee look at him".
      As he was due to have his "trial" with us, Southampton made a firm bid (reported to be £4m) and when Molde (or Forren's agent) informed LFC, Rodgers said, "Fair enough, we won't be competing for him. Best of luck, Vegard".

At the absolute worst, we have been used as a means to boost the transfer value.

He was never really a target and we didn't lose out. Put the razor blades away and roll your sleeves back down. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #27: Jan 15, 2013 01:39:03 pm
      Everybody calm down (no scouse pun intended)!

James Pearce has explained what happened on Twitter and although it is slightly contrary to the Echo's article, it's more believable.

We have not been outbid or out-fought by "relegation candidates" Southampton.

Rodgers never had any great desire to sign Forren but he was offered to us so Brendan essentially said, "Send him over then, we'll have a wee look at him".
      As he was due to have his "trial" with us, Southampton made a firm bid (reported to be £4m) and when Molde (or Forren's agent) informed LFC, Rodgers said, "Fair enough, we won't be competing for him. Best of luck, Vegard".

At the absolute worst, we have been used as a means to boost the transfer value.

He was never really a target and we didn't lose out. Put the razor blades away and roll your sleeves back down. 

While I agree with you totally mate I do feel this highlights the fact we're clearly open to a centre back coming in but aren't at all confident on our current selection (whoever that is). Maybe it's too much to ask for our scouts to be decisive but I believe if we wanted this guy we'd of had him no problem at all, the fact that we really aren't too sure what we want is the worry for me.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #28: Jan 15, 2013 01:44:28 pm
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #29: Jan 15, 2013 01:58:18 pm
      I F***ing despair.
      Irrespective of all the claims/counter-claims, press half-truths and patent bullshit the club has failed again in a cut price deal and beaten by a cut price outfit.
      Is there no F***ing organisation in the lashing out millions dept or what? We allegedly waste the proceeds of the Torres windfall and baulk at a £4m deal for some potential!
      Things are getting crazy.

edit: but wait There is a voice of common sense and that request again to be patient there is the summer transfer window to contemplate....that is yet to open....and close again....
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #30: Jan 15, 2013 02:02:01 pm
      Seriously with the reactions? How many of you have actually watched him play? "The club is a shambles," "sums up the club" etc

Come off it. If he was a serious target, he'd have been bought outright. The club probably just wanted to see how he would cope against our guys before making a concrete offer as moving from Norwegian football to any of the top league is a big step up. And considering that, 4m isn't all that cheap, either.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #31: Jan 15, 2013 02:09:29 pm
      Come off it. If he was a serious target, he'd have been bought outright.

Really?

I'm not so sure.

I'm not saying he was a serious target but if you think all of our serious targets are just bought out right by the current owners you have much more faith in them than I do.

Dempsey was a serious target for us last summer. Don't see him in a red shirt this season.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #32: Jan 15, 2013 02:15:10 pm
      Really?

I'm not so sure.

I'm not saying he was a serious target but if you think all of our serious targets are just bought out right by the current owners you have much more faith in them than I do.

Dempsey was a serious target for us last summer. Don't see him in a red shirt this season.

Did you read the rest of the paragraph? Bought outright instead of being offered a trial.

Seriously with the reactions? How many of you have actually watched him play? "The club is a shambles," "sums up the club" etc

Come off it. If he was a serious target, he'd have been bought outright. The club probably just wanted to see how he would cope against our guys before making a concrete offer as moving from Norwegian football to any of the top league is a big step up. And considering that, 4m isn't all that cheap, either.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #33: Jan 15, 2013 02:18:08 pm
      I might have walked past him! Have just got back from a meeting at Staplewood where Saints are based

He looked rubbish  ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #34: Jan 15, 2013 02:34:32 pm

Nobody is saying the ''club is a shambles'' comments have been made about the threadbare squad, quality not being replaced and missed targets, not hysterical reaction as you imply but statements of fact.

Music to the owner's ears, a myriad of excuses that keep the hand firmly in the pocket.
      How much faith did Brendan have in the lad? For the player to be booked for a trial run somebody has shown a fair amount of interest.
      Was Brendan's enthusiasm dampened when another club took up the chase and showed willing to pay the £4m rumoured fee.
      By experience it seems that FSG capitulate when rival bids are forthcoming without any response whatever which seems to be the case here.
      Not the best formulae to construct a title winning side I would have thought.
      Bier
      Reply #35: Jan 15, 2013 02:36:44 pm
      The fact he was coming for a trial says Brendan was unsure about him, which in itself is good enough reason to not bid on him.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #36: Jan 15, 2013 02:50:46 pm
      Nobody is saying the ''club is a shambles'' comments have been made about the threadbare squad, quality not being replaced and missed targets, not hysterical reaction as you imply but statements of fact.

Really?

For the derisory figure of £4m LFC are hustled out of a deal by relegation material, doesn't make pleasant reading but hard facts seldom do.
      Sums up the club at the moment.
      Can't even sign a relatively cheap defensive option.
      Shame we keep losing to relegation threatened teams.
      Absolutely shambolic. What next, we offer Michael Johnson a "pay if you score five in one match" deal? These owners really are funny, trial? Bellends.
      I f**king despair.
      Irrespective of all the claims/counter-claims, press half-truths and patent bullshit the club has failed again in a cut price deal and beaten by a cut price outfit.

---

Music to the owner's ears, a myriad of excuses that keep the hand firmly in the pocket.
      How much faith did Brendan have in the lad? For the player to be booked for a trial run somebody has shown a fair amount of interest.

But not necessarily serious interest. It could very well have been, "let's have a look and see" as opposed to, "I really want this player."

Was Brendan's enthusiasm dampened when another club took up the chase and showed willing to pay the £4m rumoured fee.

Maybe the player jumped at a concrete offer as opposed to the manager's enthusiasm "dampening." Again, if the manager really wants the player, he makes a bid (or has Ayre do it). Allen, Borini, Sahin, for example. The only one that didn't come off was Dempsey, and that's because of the owners not willing to pay for a 29-year-old.

By experience it seems that FSG capitulate when rival bids are forthcoming without any response whatever which seems to be the case here.
      Not the best formulae to construct a title winning side I would have thought.

Again, maybe we didn't scout him enough to make a concrete bid but wanted to see him up close against our players before making a bid. £4 million is NOT that cheap for a CB from a foreign league that isn't among the best in Europe (La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Premier League, Eredivise, etc.)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #37: Jan 15, 2013 03:10:07 pm
      Really?

---

But not necessarily serious interest. It could very well have been, "let's have a look and see" as opposed to, "I really want this player."

Maybe the player jumped at a concrete offer as opposed to the manager's enthusiasm "dampening." Again, if the manager really wants the player, he makes a bid (or has Ayre do it). Allen, Borini, Sahin, for example. The only one that didn't come off was Dempsey, and that's because of the owners not willing to pay for a 29-year-old.

Again, maybe we didn't scout him enough to make a concrete bid but wanted to see him up close against our players before making a bid. £4 million is NOT that cheap for a CB from a foreign league that isn't among the best in Europe (La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Premier League, Eredivise, etc.)

At something of a loss to understand you quoting a shitload of posts for no apparent reason.
      In spite of your assertions one statement always comes to the fore ''the owners unwilling to pay blah blah blah.
      ''Maybe we didn't scout him enough'' is a ludicrous statement and £4m for a CB from a foreign league is madly generalising in order to once again take the spotlight from the owners lack of committment and financial wherewithall.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #38: Jan 15, 2013 03:16:28 pm
      There's been rumours all month about needing a CB, possibly on loan whilst Coates is sent out on loan (which seems pointless).

We've therefore, I presume, been scouting potential targets but this guy wasn't one of them until somebody said he would like to come to LFC.

If he wasn't a target, hadn't been scouted previously but we keep hearing we will only get players in who Brendan wants, what the f**k was he doing coming for a trial. 

Cheapskates is how our senior management is coming across.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #39: Jan 15, 2013 03:20:07 pm
      posted this in the transfer and gossip thread too

Liverpool turn to Federico Fazio after missing out on Molde defender Vegard Forren

http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/15/liverpool-turn-to-federico-fazio-after-missing-out-on-molde-defender-vegard-forren-3352948/
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #40: Jan 15, 2013 03:20:07 pm
      Forren, Fazio... I'm sure our scouts are using Football Manager to find talent.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #41: Jan 15, 2013 03:21:58 pm
      At something of a loss to understand you quoting a shitload of posts for no apparent reason.

Seriously? Did you not post this?

Do you see now?

In spite of your assertions one statement always comes to the fore ''the owners unwilling to pay blah blah blah.

How do you know they were unwilling to pay for Forren? This is almost exactly the type of player that fits their MO.

''Maybe we didn't scout him enough'' is a ludicrous statement

Is it? If we had scouted him thoroughly, do you think we would have offered him a trial? Or would we have bid outright? Because having him on trial isn't going to lower the price.

and £4m for a CB from a foreign league is madly generalising in order to once again take the spotlight from the owners lack of committment and financial wherewithall.

It isn't at all. Have you seen Forren play? Or do you watch Norwegian football? Or how well Norwegian teams do in European competitions? Norway's league is in the 20s in UEFA coefficients. That isn't to say there can't be a good player there, because the country has certainly produced some good ones, but £4 million is about the top price you'd pay. It isn't that cheap considering the jump from Norwegian football to English football, with all due respect to Norway of course.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #42: Jan 15, 2013 03:24:27 pm
      I'm not very happy with the owners either as a whole but wait a little, it's not the first time a player is offered on trial, trains with a club and moves on. So much fuss about what was apparently no big deal at all...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #43: Jan 15, 2013 03:28:28 pm
      Most people in this thread had never heard of this lad before this week and now everyone is having a cry that we can't seem to land him.

Nevermind that he wouldn't have any bearing on us getting top 4. Right now in this window I'm concerned with players that can help us get into the top four.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #44: Jan 15, 2013 04:59:01 pm
      Come off it, he may turn out good but clearly he prefers the Saints because they've bid for him and we just wanted a trial. To me, this is the players decision and not the club fooling around again. If BR wanted to see him train with the 1st team before putting a bid in and spending the money, so be it.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #45: Jan 15, 2013 05:12:45 pm
      The fact he was coming for a trial says Brendan was unsure about him, which in itself is good enough reason to not bid on him.

We'll have no such common sense in here, thank you. Get out!  :angry-smiley-034:

Quick Reply