Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 17th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your Liverpool MotM?

Johnson
      (6.1%)
      Lucas
      (0.7%)
      Gerrard
      (44.9%)
      Henderson
      (27.9%)
      Downing
      (0.7%)
      Sturridge
      (8.2%)
      Suarez
      (11.6%)

Liverpool 5-0 Norwich City: In-game & post-match jaw-dropping

Read 31684 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Liverpool 5-0 Norwich City: In-game & post-match jaw-dropping
      Reply #460: Jan 19, 2013 08:23:38 pm
      It looked more like a release of frustration to me Diego.

Maybe your dislike of Hendo is clouding your judgement. ;)

Probably right... regardless of that, I voted Hendo for my MOTM. Still waiting for him to produce against a better team and midfield, but he was great today. His pass to Downing before Sturridge's goal was very good.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #461: Jan 19, 2013 08:39:09 pm
      Just home from the game, buzzling like mad here  ;D Great team performance, great goals, willingness to support each other, could have had a few more as well, but I'm over the moon we got 5

It was bloody freezing on the Kop, but I was kept warm with all those superb goals  :scarf:

Made up for Jordan Henderson (amazing strike, very Gerrardesque)

Made up for Daniel Sturridge, what a way to make your Anfield debut  :gt-happyup:
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #462: Jan 19, 2013 08:40:56 pm
      Tell you what, all that bragging from Ayre about the smart deal regarding Sturridge could end up making him look a right plonker if Sturridge keeps finding the onion bag.

Yeh Ian you saved a few quid at the expense of atleast 4 times that in return of Champions League money, Doh !

100% spot on. "Look at me aren't I clever?" If the stupid c*nt had got the deal done in the summer, is there anyone in the universe who doesn't think we'd have more points now than we do?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #463: Jan 19, 2013 08:42:00 pm
      100% spot on. "Look at me aren't I clever?" If the stupid c*nt had got the deal done in the summer, is there anyone in the universe who doesn't think we'd have more points now than we do?

Dare I say 4th?
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #464: Jan 19, 2013 08:47:36 pm
      Incredible performance

Glen had to be my Motm, always an option and didn't put a single foot wrong all game. Admittedly that could be said of many our players today.

We showed Norwich hardly any respect today and it bought out a ruthlessness thats been lacking since Rafa was in charge

Also the Kop were fantastic

I bet Oldham are shitting themselves
      Big beaming smile :) F***ing get in
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #465: Jan 19, 2013 08:49:07 pm

Obviously hard to know for sure mate, but looking at the league Sturridge wouldn't have had to score anywhere near as regularly as he is right now to have made quite a big difference.

Crucially, my guess is also that his arrival will signal the end of teams trying to press us on the edge of our penalty box. A bit of pace, power and quality makes a huge difference to us as a team. I don't know about fourth, but I think we'd have been right in the rattle anyway.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #466: Jan 19, 2013 09:07:05 pm
      For what did Wisdom and Henderson made w**ker gestures while celebrating the 1st goal?
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,694 posts | 880 
      Reply #467: Jan 19, 2013 09:40:38 pm
      Only caught the last 5 mins... and was really frustrated to see us pass the ball around in defence.. like constantly. I know we were 5-0 up, and the game won and all that, but why not go for more? I had Suarez as my FF captain, so I'm just really disappointed he didn't pick up more points! ;)

Seriously though, we do pass it around a lot at the back. In some games, that costs us.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #468: Jan 19, 2013 09:41:45 pm
      Such a dominating performance. Took me back to when we beat Hull City 6-1 a few seasons ago under Rafa when Torres got a quality hat trick. It was F***ing freezing but as soon as the goals started flying in you hardly noticed it. Only fell over once walking home as well. Icy stuff outside.

I wasn't keen on Sturridge coming here (to say the least) and I couldn't be happier he's proving me and many others wrong.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #469: Jan 19, 2013 09:42:42 pm
      Only caught the last 5 mins... and was really frustrated to see us pass the ball around in defence.. like constantly. I know we were 5-0 up, and the game won and all that, but why not go for more? I had Suarez as my FF captain, so I'm just really disappointed he didn't pick up more points! ;)

Seriously though, we do pass it around a lot at the back. In some games, that costs us.

We were 5-0 up, game over.

Clean sheet bonus dude! Injuries and the like.

I'm surprised they went for 3, 4, and 5! not like us at all.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #470: Jan 19, 2013 09:52:22 pm
      Quality match analysis as ever from Kristian Walsh:

Norwich brings Rodgers his finest day yet
      by Kristian Walsh

PAUL ELLIS/AFP/Getty Images: Brendan Rodgers was happy to stand back and applaud his
       side's superb effort on Saturday versus Norwich.

Though those who stand on the Kop would never permit such trite tomfoolery, one question above all remains unanswered as Liverpool skipped off the Anfield turf with their biggest win of the season: can Liverpool play Norwich City every week?

Until Saturday afternoon, Brendan Rodgers' most favourable moment this season was housed at Carrow Road. Not only was it his first league win as Liverpool manager, but the 5-2 victory away to Norwich was an exercise in effrontery; he handed debuts to teenagers Andre Wisdom and Suso, as well as giving Nuri Sahin increased responsibility as the midfield’s creative hub. Norwich took to the field surprised; they left it stunned.

A lot has changed since September for Liverpool. Wisdom began this game at right back, but Suso was not even in the match day squad; Sahin is no longer at the club whatsoever. But such is the irrationality of this undulant season of transition, every tweak and twang of the setup will be even more noticeable. There were considerable changes off the pitch too: the sun that shone down that September day, singeing shadows into the Norfolk grass, was now replaced by a wind bitterly brisk which swirled light dustings of snow through the Merseyside sky.

Some things never change however, whatever the weather. Just as in September, Liverpool were several steps ahead of Norwich from first whistle to full time, even without the platform of the first-minute Luis Suarez strike to build upon. Indeed, this only seemed to prolong the Canaries' agony as they were continuously tormented by Liverpool. The Reds swatted them about like a sadomasochistic tiger, always keeping their beleaguered opponents within reaching distance, seemingly choosing the best time to strike.

Whatever metaphor suits best, the fact is the home side boxed as clever as they have done all season. The defence rarely looked troubled. The midfield, with the addition of Jordan Henderson, looked balanced and energised once more. The trident up front all combined to create and score. It was by far the most complete performance Rodgers has overseen in his time at the club, usurping that away victory months ago.

There will always be the temptation to simply write the victory as an expected one over a side in free-fall, much like how defeats to the likes of Manchester United and Tottenham have previously been disregarded as an inevitable, steep learning curve. It is also true that the fixture list favoured Liverpool once more -- the Reds' two games against Norwich both coming against a side bereft of victories and confidence. Excitement and ebullience must marry caution and circumspection.

But herein lays the beauty of what transpired at Anfield, and something worth shouting about for Liverpool. The stadium that was once known as a bastion of invincibility had become a bastion of invisibility for too long. Far too many times in seasons past, teams came to Anfield to find their hosts almost non-existent in body and spirit. Signs still exist of course, particularly with Aston Villa's 3-1 win in December, but that increasingly looks an anomaly.

For the first time in what seems an eternity, Liverpool are beating -- nay, obliterating -- the teams they are expected to beat at Anfield. They have now already won as many league games at Anfield this season as last season, and have scored just two goals less with seven games still to play. Though true they have also conceded more than last season, 12 goals with none conceded in the past three home games points to one thing: teams who were once willing to sit back and absorb pressure must rip up the playbook and start again, for it has done little good at Anfield recently.

It helped that Rodgers had a near fully-fit squad to choose from against Norwich, with Pepe Reina the only one missing through injury. It also helped that Suarez and Daniel Sturridge started together for the first time, the feeling of freedom in having two genuine goal threats up front palpable.

Both impressed individually and collectively. Suarez provided his usual, astonishing performance; no sign of disgruntlement following the week's diving-induced tempest in a teacup, and no sign of his wild imagination with the ball being tamed. Sturridge, meanwhile, has settled into life at Liverpool far quicker than most anticipated. Three goals in three games might not tell the whole story about his pace, technique and willingness to work, but it does highlight the crux of the narrative: Liverpool have another goal-scorer.

Paul Ellis/AFP/Getty Images: The Daniel Sturridge-
      Luis Suarez partnership is giving Liverpool a new
      dynamic in its attack.

The pair also combined well, with Stewart Downing doing an admirable job stretching play in order to open up space in the centre. There was no better indication of what Sturridge's presence brings than Liverpool's second goal. His sumptuous dummy took two defenders out of the game and allowed Suarez to run through undetected and finish well. A penny for Suarez’s thoughts after spending most of the season in solitude up front -- after being guarded in Alcatraz by brutish defending, the air of freedom tastes sweet.

A penny for the thoughts of Liverpool chairman Tom Werner, too, who watched from the stands. Here before him was cast-iron evidence of what investing in the playing squad can do. Rodgers, and the players, will hope he takes note.

Another thing to take note of was the performance of Henderson, along with everybody else inside Anfield. On Werner's last visit, Liverpool won 3-0 against Wigan with the young midfielder's first-half substitution igniting the home side. Here, he ignited from the beginning, warming up all around him in sub-zero temperatures with astute passing, intelligent movement and persistent pressing.

Perhaps the 22-year-old saves his best for those who have doubted him most -- Werner is one of those who believes his wages and value have not matched the level of performance in his 18 months at the club. Henderson might make a believer of him yet. No deep knowledge of the game is required to be impressed with his finish for the opening goal, the perfect amalgamation of technique and power. If he can add that aspect to his game more often, he'll make believers of many more.

Belief -- a simple word and a simple notion, but something so hard to instill. It has been missing for a while at Anfield, but it has started to reemerge -- just ask Henderson, for one. The sign in the tunnel may still yet have meaning. Bringing on the boyish trio of Raheem Sterling, Fabio Borini and Joe Allen will only help that feeling, with the bench now possessing genuine quality as opposed to resembling a purgatory for the overpaid.

Yet the disrespectful criticism of beating Norwich being no major accomplishment will still be one resounding from the detractors. To stifle such shouting, the next step will take these impressive, winning performances into games against top 10 -- something Liverpool have not done so far this season.

With five of the next six fixtures against those who currently reside in the top half, it is a monkey they will not only want to get off their back, but consign to oblivion. But for now, with 10 goals in two games against them this season, casting Norwich there instead will have to do for now.

With Sturridge helping alleviate the burden on Suarez, and with Anfield once more becoming commonplace to annihilation, the weight of the world has lightened a bt. Plenty of space, then, for a pat on the back after a job well done against Norwich.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/533?cc=5739#

HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #471: Jan 19, 2013 10:02:44 pm
      Fantastic article. ^^^

I love that guy's writing on LFC.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #472: Jan 19, 2013 10:07:31 pm
      Love that article, usually I read the first paragraph and then skim-read, but I was gripped, fantastic writing.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #473: Jan 19, 2013 11:12:33 pm
      Just watched the game again (well parts of it on m.o.t.d.) and it confirmed for me that we have changed our way of playing. We seem more relaxed playing longer balls, there doesn't seem the same pressure on the players to just "keep possession" and our game is flowing much better as a result.

Yes we still invite pressure a little too much for me when we pass the ball around at the back, but we are now starting to see a little more of the pass and move especially from the centre four of Suarez, Sturridge, Gerrard and Henderson.

One note of caution, we still seem too open to the counter and against better sides we could find that it costs us.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #474: Jan 19, 2013 11:19:11 pm

One note of caution, we still seem too open to the counter and against better sides we could find that it costs us.

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion from watching 5 minutes of highlights...

We never looked open to a counter all game.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #475: Jan 19, 2013 11:24:43 pm
      Not sure how you can come to that conclusion from watching 5 minutes of highlights...

We never looked open to a counter all game.

I watched the whole game this afternoon mate (which is why I put again), just watched m.o.t.d. as well.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,140 posts | 4894 
      Reply #476: Jan 19, 2013 11:27:42 pm
      Just watched the game again (well parts of it on m.o.t.d.) and it confirmed for me that we have changed our way of playing. We seem more relaxed playing longer balls

We have and I'm not sure if it was you I was chatting to about this a while ago saint but there has been a noticable shift in the way we pass the ball forward more quickly when it's on.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #477: Jan 19, 2013 11:31:57 pm
      I think the improvement in play and passing and the variation of each is down to the improved movement in the team.

We always had willing runners today. Too often before we've seen someone pick up the ball in an attacking position, look up, see absolutely no movement, throw their arms around and pass back.

Today there were options popping up everywhere, so one we looked up the pass was there to play quickly.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #478: Jan 19, 2013 11:33:34 pm
      I've been to many games at Anfield in my time but that game today was one of the most comfortable games I've ever witnessed from the Kop.

Alright. We were searching for that first goal for a bit and had Gerrard and Lucas just a touch too deep before it came, but after Henderson scored that sublime goal, it was embarrasingly easy.

Brad Jones. Apart from one or two moments of action, was a spectator. Poor fella must have been freezing his gloves off.

The movement and awareness from our front men was very encouraging to watch. With a little bit more ownership from players such as Downing and Henderson, we could have scored a lot more.

But hats off to a great team performance. We took advantage of a poor Norwich side and got the points with ease. Sometimes that's something that can be found difficult.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #479: Jan 19, 2013 11:35:52 pm
      Made a good point there has Kristin Walsh. The recent performances at Anfield will make teams think again about merely sitting back and absorbing the pressure. It's excellent work by the coaching staff and the players to start making teams actually think hard about how they approach visiting Anfield now.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #480: Jan 19, 2013 11:37:08 pm
      "Sadomasochisit tiger". Wow I need to watch the game haha.
      Also, trust that the one game I'm working in the nightclub (hence missing the game) is the one game we smash it...
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #481: Jan 19, 2013 11:52:56 pm
      Superb performance. I could see the urgency in every player. The whole team played well. Strurridge has truly transformed our approach to the game. Like his direct approach, taking on defenders and no dilly dally. Can't decide my motm, won't say anything that has already been said about some outstanding players. But special praise goes to other players,  I've criticised Agger for his casual approach in the last game and he has rectified that by putting in early tackles and headers in this game while it's refreshing to see that Downing made some useful crosses. The crosses have always been there but no one got to the end of it until Sturridge came along. Hope that Downing continue to do that and BR works on who gets to the end of it. 

Even Sterling has stepped up a gear, noticed that he took the ball as far as he could into the box and forced an error off a Norwich defender to score while he  looked undecided in previous games. Even Borrini looked too eager to score and he looked frustrated that he didn't, he will score soon. Even Jones had a good game making some important saves, particularly the early header by Norwich. Who knows, had that gone in it would have changed the whole scenario of the game.

The happiest thing I saw in the whole match is the HUNGER in every players and if we can continue with that spirit 4th is achieveable. But first we must overcome Man City and give Arsenal a good walloping, I just can't stand that wanger of a manager.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #482: Jan 20, 2013 12:21:36 am
      We have and I'm not sure if it was you I was chatting to about this a while ago saint but there has been a noticable shift in the way we pass the ball forward more quickly when it's on.

Yeah it was mate, and I think the introduction of Sturridge may have played some part in that change too. More forward options, good movement and pace from Sturridge make it easier to pick a more aggressive option than before.

Certainly things are starting to look a lot brighter than they were just a few short weeks ago.

We have some difficult games coming up, come through those well and we may have a (outside) chance at challenging for top 4.

Things always look better when Gerrard is playing well :)

Quick Reply