Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Pepe Reina (Napoli/Barcelona)

Read 84688 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Pepe Reina (Napoli/Barcelona)
      Jan 20, 2013 12:28:25 pm
      Barcelona set sights on Liverpool goalkeeper Reina

Barcelona are expected to move to sign Liverpool's Pepe Reina in the summer after Victor Valdes announced last week he will not be renewing his contract.

Valdes stunned Barca by refusing to discuss an extension to his contract, which runs out in 2014, and though he will play until the end of the season, Barca want to recruit a new goalkeeper in June.

Barca believe Liverpool would consider a bid for Spain international Reina, with manager Brendan Rodgers aware that he will have to sell key players to raise money to rebuild the current side.

Reina, 30, who missed yesterday's game against Norwich after having surgery to repair the broken nose he sustained against Manchester United last weekend, is considered the outstanding candidate by Barca because he was raised through the club's youth system, alongside Valdes.

Reina eventually ended up at Real Villarreal before he was signed by Rafa Benitez for Liverpool.

Reina, who is also struggling with a thigh injury which could force him to miss next Sunday's FA Cup tie against Oldham, was born in Madrid but once played for Catalonia in a representative game for the region, which the Catalans claim is an international match.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2265164/Barcelona-set-sights-Liverpool-goalkeeper-Pepe-Reina.html

Typical Daily Mail sh*te, but one question, who the F**k are Real Villerreal?  :D

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2013 11:30:12 am by Reslivo »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Pepe Reina (Barcelona)
      Reply #1: Jan 20, 2013 12:34:17 pm
      Straight swap for Messi and we'll consider it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #2: Jan 20, 2013 01:00:11 pm
      Could be some truth to the story,we are being linked with Butland and maybe behind the scenes Reina would go back home?.
      Bier
      Reply #3: Jan 20, 2013 01:02:31 pm
      Could be some truth in it from Barcelona's perspective, they've been linked to a few goalkeepers recently. It's not uncommon for them to prefer former youth players.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #4: Jan 20, 2013 01:03:57 pm
      We've been linked with Valdes as well.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #5: Jan 20, 2013 01:06:27 pm
      Wouldn't blame pepe for moving back to Spain. He's been here a long time and given it a fair crack of the whip. Would be sad to see him leave though.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #6: Jan 20, 2013 02:49:47 pm
      If they come in for him in the summer I'd expect him to leave and he's given us his best, he'd go with my blessing
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #7: Jan 20, 2013 02:50:01 pm
      I've thought for most of the season that Pepe might be off in the summer so this wouldn't surprise me.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #8: Jan 20, 2013 02:50:47 pm
      I've thought for most of the season that Pepe might be off in the summer do this wouldn't surprise me.

Does seem to tick a lot of boxes this one doesn't it. Wouldn't surprise me either if I'm honest.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #9: Jan 20, 2013 03:06:16 pm
      Pepe back to Barcelona? They know he doesn't have hair anymore right?

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Jan 20, 2013 03:15:15 pm
      Can see this happening myself one way or another, it gived FSG the chance to get shot whilst he can still command a fee.

And before the FSG apologists start, the money will be reinvested into another goal keeper, just a younger model in my opinion.

I'll stand by what I said the other day, I don't think we'll see any other players retire at LFC under FSG, other than Carra and Gerrard and if they weren't captain and vice captain and local lads to boot, I doubt they'd have got the chance to.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #11: Jan 20, 2013 03:34:41 pm
      Yeah, I see this happening, don't want it to though. Who would you lads go for if he were to be sold? I'd go for Ter-Stegen.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #12: Jan 20, 2013 03:37:18 pm
      Yeah, I see this happening, don't want it to though. Who would you lads go for if he were to be sold? I'd go for Ter-Stegen.

Everybody would, but Gladbach would be insane to sell.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #13: Jan 20, 2013 03:41:09 pm
      These rumours have been doing the rounds for a few years now.  Just wondering though, who was the last player to retire, not through injury, whilst playing for us.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #14: Jan 20, 2013 03:47:09 pm
      I think Pepe has struggled since all his mates from SPain left.
      He isnt the same lad from a couple of season ago and it wouldn't surprise me if he went back to Spain,I hope he stays and we have CL football but it just looks like one of those inevitable decisions.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #15: Jan 20, 2013 03:49:42 pm
      These rumours have been doing the rounds for a few years now.  Just wondering though, who was the last player to retire, not through injury, whilst playing for us.

A great question Rodders and I honestly don't know.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #16: Jan 20, 2013 03:58:58 pm
      If he does go I'd like to get Butland.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #17: Jan 20, 2013 04:09:52 pm
      Anyone else think this might be a move worth making?

Not saying I really want Pepe out but he seems to be going through the motions a little bit over the last couple of seasons and I also don't expect him to stay here forever.

So maybe a move, and Brendan getting a quality replacement, might just not be the end of the world.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #18: Jan 20, 2013 04:12:55 pm
      I don't want Pepe to go. Obviously. I think he's one of the best on his day and he understands Liverpool so well. Like Didi, Jan, Dirk and Garcia - a foreign player who loves the club.

But.

If he goes, I think we have a decent replacement in Jones
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #19: Jan 20, 2013 04:13:49 pm
      I love Pepe, one of my favourite players in the current squad..

However if Barca came knocking he goes with my blessing and thanks..

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #20: Jan 20, 2013 04:16:59 pm

Agree with all your post apart from this bit Nils, Jones is not good enough to be a number 1. A lot to love about the bloke but there is a reason he's been a career bench warmer and unfortunately for him that is that he's not quite good enough to hold down a number 1 spot consistently.

Butland would be good to get in now as Pepe's understudy if there is any strength to this as I'm not convinced Butland is mentally ready for such a huge step up even though I like him. Of course the ideal situation is to keep Pepe, this just seems to fit too well for him though and I couldn't blame him at all.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #21: Jan 20, 2013 04:17:43 pm
      I don't want Pepe to go. Obviously. I think he's one of the best on his day and he understands Liverpool so well. Like Didi, Jan, Dirk and Garcia - a foreign player who loves the club.

But.

Disagree on Jones as while he is a decent stand in I'd want the very best we can get if Pepe was to leave.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #22: Jan 20, 2013 04:29:44 pm
      What is Valdes thinking?

Quick Reply