Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Pepe Reina (Napoli/Barcelona)

Read 84689 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Pepe Reina (Napoli/Barcelona)
      Reply #828: Jul 29, 2013 06:28:45 pm
      What a servant ....... 8 years ............ kids through school etc .

It must have hurt finding out after the deal was done.

Pepe the way this bullshit train is going youre better out mate.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #829: Jul 29, 2013 08:34:51 pm
      This was the situation in my opinion:

Liverpool were expecting an offer for Reina from Barca because they believed that Valdes was on his way out of their club.

BR acted swiftly to prevent a Carroll situation where we were left in the lurch without a top replacement.

Mignolet was brought in during that chaotic time and Valdes then confirmed he was to stay for an extra year at Barca.

Reina was gonna become an expensive bench player as BR would rightly put his faith in the new expensive replacement.

Barca decide to not buy Reina & Napoli come in to loan Reina for a season which allows Valdes to have his 1 season more at Barca and Reina gets to play consistently for a former manager of his and then potentially finally get his dream move back home to spain.

Yes, its sad to see a great servant leave our club and yes it would have been better if he could have gone to Barca this transfer window.
      Yes, BR said it would be great to have 2 great keepers competing for the starting place because he didn't want to show publicly that he was forcing Reina out when clearly he wanted out and that his head had been turned. Not saying it would have led to a decline in his performances if he stayed but the facts are he hasn't performed as consistently for the last 2 - 3 seasons as he once had.

No conspiracy.
      No cost cutting though the end result is that is has done so.

Move on people.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #830: Jul 29, 2013 08:45:58 pm
      Good luck Pepe.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #831: Jul 29, 2013 08:58:21 pm

Thanks for reading the post above Benito.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #832: Jul 29, 2013 11:45:51 pm
      Money based decision, f*ck it. If he wanted to stay and fight for this place, why ship him out? or was Mignolet promised something else? Guaranteed first keeper?
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #833: Jul 29, 2013 11:48:32 pm
      Money based decision, f*ck it. If he wanted to stay and fight for this place, why ship him out? or was Mignolet promised something else? Guaranteed first keeper?

Hows about you think about the situation, read posts above and not be a knee jerker
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #834: Jul 29, 2013 11:53:21 pm
      Sad to see Pepe go, been a wonderful servant and a exemplerary pro. However, when he says we accepted a bid without telling him, does that mean he knew about the offer? You have to think that he and rafa had their own conversation, and that he told Rafa that he would want to go or at least be open to the move.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #835: Jul 30, 2013 12:02:36 am
      Agree Jamo
      Regardless if reina & rafa did or didn't talk, the fact that BR made the decision to prevent us being left high and dry is a bold move.
      I like that.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #836: Jul 30, 2013 12:09:39 am
      Sad to see him go, but it was inevitable though maybe sooner than some would like. I must admit the loyalty thing tickles me, considering one of our greats said it was his job to sell players so their legs went on their next manager and, famously, Shanks wouldn't speak to injured players, which smacks of disloyalty, but is understandable, if a tad harsh.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #837: Jul 30, 2013 12:13:58 am
      To be honest I don't really think it mattered if Reina's legs had  gone he wasn't exactly a box to box midfielder ;D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #838: Jul 30, 2013 12:15:50 am
      To be honest I don't really think it mattered if Reina's legs had  gone he wasn't exactly a box to box midfielder ;D

But by the standards he set himself, his performances had dipped these last two seasons, had they not?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #839: Jul 30, 2013 12:18:06 am
      But by the standars he set himself, his performances had dipped these last two seasons, had they not?

Maybe they had but then again I'd say 3 seasons, which coincided with chopping and changing of managers and tactics, squads etc.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #840: Jul 30, 2013 12:26:43 am
      Maybe they had but then again I'd say 3 seasons, which coincided with chopping and changing of managers and tactics, squads etc.

So you're saying he is mentally weak and couldn't deal with change then.  ;)

As I've had some fail to see recently, I better point out that's a joke.

I've said since this started it feels like a Rodgers decision and when the Barca bid failed to materialise.  I'm shocked Reina said it was a surprise to him, I don't believe for one minute that Rafa didn't have a quiet word with Pepe or his representatives about a possible change of scenery.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #841: Jul 30, 2013 12:33:43 am
      So you're saying he is mentally weak and couldn't deal with change then.  ;)

As I've had some fail to see recently, I better point out that's a joke.

I've said since this started it feels like a Rodgers decision and when the Barca bid failed to materialise.  I'm shocked Reina said it was a surprise to him, I don't believe for one minute that Rafa didn't have a quiet word with Pepe or his representatives about a possible change of scenery.

Maybe  could deal with change, maybe  just couldn't deal with different set ups leaving him more exposed ;)

Im prepared to  take Reina at face value even tho I said  last week I wouldnt have been surprised if Rafa had sounded him  out.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #842: Jul 30, 2013 12:37:15 am
      Maybe  could deal with change, maybe  just couldn't deal with different set ups leaving him more exposed ;)

Im prepared to  take Reina at face value even tho I said  last week I wouldnt have been surprised if Rafa had sounded him  out.

So now he can't deal with a tougher workload.  :D

His letter smacked of spin, and whilst I believe he was upset about leaving, I just don't believe the loan move came out of the blue for him.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #843: Jul 30, 2013 12:38:39 am
      Agree Roddenberry
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #844: Jul 30, 2013 06:07:28 am
      Hows about you think about the situation, read posts above and not be a knee jerker

Thought about the situation, read some of the posts (not all, some of us have to work in between) and has nothing to do with knee jerking.  How is it not a money based decision? Pepe being loaned out behind his back while he wants to stay. We'd have 2 great keepers fighting for a place in the team.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #845: Jul 30, 2013 06:46:34 am
      The fact is there is no point having two top keepers it just doesnt make sense. Im glad we have mignolet iv always rated him and hes still very young. Pepes form improved the end of last season but the last two or three he has been poor. I think we have a better keeper now. Smart business i think.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #846: Jul 31, 2013 05:26:00 pm
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #847: Jul 31, 2013 05:42:59 pm

He didn't really back track to be honest. I think people were really taking what he said against the club as a way of saying he is mad at them and they deceived him. And i think he was just trying to lighten it up a little bit.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #848: Aug 01, 2013 04:50:34 am
      An embarrassing example of a circle-(knee)jerk from the usual suspects on here.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #849: Aug 01, 2013 07:42:39 am
      An embarrassing example of a circle-(knee)jerk from the usual suspects on here.
      Do you think we would of loaned Pepe out if he was on £20,000 a week ?

Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #850: Aug 01, 2013 10:48:36 am
      Do you think we would of loaned Pepe out if he was on £20,000 a week ?

Probably not (assuming he would have stayed go fight for his place) - unfortunately we are in a position where our rivals above us in the table can vastly outgun us financially so we have to make every penny count - therefore I'm not sure what point you're making?

Quick Reply