Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Pepe Reina (Napoli/Barcelona)

Read 84690 times
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Re: Pepe Reina (Napoli/Barcelona)
      Reply #874: Aug 01, 2013 07:29:02 pm
      So how does that net spend compare with other non-Champion's League clubs?

As I've asked you on the other thread - let's use Everton as an example - similar positions in the table to us, similar points total (though we haven't done as well as them recently).

Gross and net figures please from the time Kenny was in charge.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #875: Aug 01, 2013 07:38:10 pm
      Ahhh Carlos talking down Kenny again.

Yet he expects us to back a Yank hedge fund group that had never even heard of Liverpool FC until and employee encouraged them to buy us and a manager who's biggest achievement today is getting Swansea promoted.

Well F**k that, I respect Kenny for everything he's done for this club and the community more than I do the above and I'd guarantee majority of proper LFC fans would.

And you dare to question my support Carlos ?

Give your massively inflated head a F***ing wobble la'
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #876: Aug 01, 2013 08:02:05 pm
      As I've asked you on the other thread - let's use Everton as an example - similar positions in the table to us, similar points total (though we haven't done as well as them recently).

Gross and net figures please from the time Kenny was in charge.

I must of missed it in the other thread, apologies.

Ok lets see where you are going with this.

Ok working on Torres/Babel - Carroll/Suarez in January which for the sake of argument we will include even though i dont believe Kenny had much to do with any of them..
      And for the summer window. (Money spent or recieved, no free's)
      In
      Coates
      Enrique
      Downing
      Henderson
      Adam

Out
      Merieles
      Insua
      N'Gog
      Ayala
      Konchesky

It works out as give or take

January
      Spent 58
      Reveived 56

Summer
      Spent 57.4
      Recieved 20.2

Total

Spent 115.4
      Received 76.7

Net 38.7

Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #877: Aug 01, 2013 08:33:23 pm

Total

Spent 115.4
      Received 76.7

Net 38.7

OK great so a total spend of approx 115 million (net 39 million) - now compare Evertons figures along with our respective points totals.

It's not a pretty sight...
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #878: Aug 01, 2013 08:45:05 pm
      OK great so a total spend of approx 115 million (net 39 million) - now compare Evertons figures along with our respective points totals.

It's not a pretty sight...

Ok now compare their continuity over that period of time.

One manager, one vision, one set of players tweeked each summer, nothing new for the players to learn and adjust to in terms of tactics, no new manager coming in and not fancying a set of players from a previous manager so having to cut losses and over spend to bring his own players in..
      Kenwright not paying off managers and coaching staff and compensation for new managers and staff..

Us 4 managers in 4 years, the squad turned over constantly, ripping up the blueprint and starting again.

Whats the point in giving a manager a spend of 115 over two windows (even though we lost some important players out) and then only giving him that season to prove it a shrewed decision?

I tell you what if we had given one manager the job 4 years ago or kept Rafa and then given him 35-40 million (even 30, not asking much seeing as we are who we are) net per calender year each year then i bet my F***ing granny we wouldnt be still be doddling about in 7th-8th..

We can put blame where we want but lets balance it a bit eh and at least give FSG a portion of it.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #879: Aug 02, 2013 12:14:05 am
      Ok now compare their continuity over that period of time.

One manager, one vision, one set of players tweeked each summer, nothing new for the players to learn and adjust to in terms of tactics, no new manager coming in and not fancying a set of players from a previous manager so having to cut losses and over spend to bring his own players in..
      Kenwright not paying off managers and coaching staff and compensation for new managers and staff..

Us 4 managers in 4 years, the squad turned over constantly, ripping up the blueprint and starting again.

Whats the point in giving a manager a spend of 115 over two windows (even though we lost some important players out) and then only giving him that season to prove it a shrewed decision?

I tell you what if we had given one manager the job 4 years ago or kept Rafa and then given him 35-40 million (even 30, not asking much seeing as we are who we are) net per calender year each year then i bet my f**king granny we wouldnt be still be doddling about in 7th-8th..

We can put blame where we want but lets balance it a bit eh and at least give FSG a portion of it.

Yes I agree completely that continuity has helped the Bitters.

And of course FSG should shoulder some of the responsibility for the position we are in.

But it's difficult to blame them for getting rid of Rafa as that has already been done before they arrived!

The man In charge, Hodgson, had to go - don't think you will find many disagreeing there.

Equally, they did the right thing to bring Kenny in as caretaker to heal the club an being it together. His subsequent success meant they did the right thing - the only thing they could have done - in making his job permanent and backing him to spend money. In my view, they got rid of him at the right time too.

So far, fri. What I've seen,  Brendan has been a shrewd appointment.:
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #880: Aug 02, 2013 07:29:30 am
      Yes I agree completely that continuity has helped the Bitters.

And of course FSG should shoulder some of the responsibility for the position we are in.

But it's difficult to blame them for getting rid of Rafa as that has already been done before they arrived!

The man In charge, Hodgson, had to go - don't think you will find many disagreeing there.

Equally, they did the right thing to bring Kenny in as caretaker to heal the club an being it together. His subsequent success meant they did the right thing - the only thing they could have done - in making his job permanent and backing him to spend money. In my view, they got rid of him at the right time too.

So far, fri. What I've seen,  Brendan has been a shrewd appointment.:

I'm not blaming them for Rafa.. However they could have spoken to him about coming back but that's by the by.

Roy had to go yes.. Kenny coming in at that point fine, but if he wasn't their man at the end of the six months then thank him for stabilising the club and bring in their man in the summer of 11.. In stead they gave him a 3 year deal and money to spend, I disagree it was the right time to sack him and I think their lack of leadership from that point in the summer of 11 has been sh*te..
      I have no problem with Brendan, had they given him the job in 11 and backed him with funds to build over a few years then fine but to allow one manager a season and then throw the toys out the pram because immediate success didn't follow has put is back even further.

Now Brendan is in and for me is working within restraints that is making his job even harder.. If they felt Kenny wasted money they shouldn't punish Brendan for it.

I prefer the managers to get time, and sufficient backing to do their job.. I hope fsg have learnt their lesson and give Brendan time or we will be back at square one again
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #881: Aug 02, 2013 08:08:08 am
      Why is this still open??  ???
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #882: Aug 02, 2013 08:58:08 am
      You see, PaisleyDalglish, I find it hard to follow your "what FSG should have done" argument once you get to Kenny as I think you start using the power of hindsight to judge them.

After Kenny's caretaker period he appeared to have got the team playing well enough for top 4 form, had massive support from within the club and had come out of the Torres/Babbel deal well (with the jury still out on Andy due to injury).

It's easy now to say FSG should have got their man in but I struggle to believe you would not have heavily been criticising them had they not given Kenny the job at that point. Bearing those factors in mind it was the smartest decision to have made - especially given the target of achieving top four. Having made that decision, the right thing to so was to back Kennys judgement rather than give him half- hearted support and that is the policy we followed.

So for me, the crux of most people's dissent with the strategy comes down to the timing of Kennys departure. This not being the Kenny thread, I'm not going to go into all the reasons why it was the right time to change manager but, being Kenny, it's obvious that making a change at any time would have been difficult.

FSG are learning quickly though - you say Brendan shouldn't be punished for Kennys mistakes but unfortunately Newcastle, Sunderland, Blackpool  and Villa aren't going to give back the transfer fees we gave them and the expensive long term contracts we are paying for cant just be cancelled overnight. I believe the committee we have out into place are likely to produce better quality signings than just allowing Brendan to do all the legwork himself - but if not it will be changed too.

It's rare that anyone gets their long term decision making 100% right first time every time so learning from your mistakes and acting on them is just as important to determining future success. So far as I can see, FSG have acted quickly, intelligently, boldly and ruthlessly and, although there are bound to be further mistakes along the way and plenty of examples of fans not understanding what the club is upto, those are exactly the qualities we need to be competing again.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #883: Aug 02, 2013 11:34:36 am
      had massive support from within the club and had come out of the Torres/Babbel deal well (with the jury still out on Andy due to injury).

Babbel left the club around 2002 didn't he?

You mean Babel, no?
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #884: Aug 02, 2013 11:43:26 am
      Not one mention of Pepe in the last 20 posts can we get this back on topic please, there are relevent threads for FSG and all the other off topic posts.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #885: Aug 02, 2013 11:48:54 am
      Not one mention of Pepe in the last 20 posts can we get this back on topic please, there are relevent threads for FSG and all the other off topic posts.

He's on loan at Napoli, what's left to talk about ;)
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #886: Aug 02, 2013 12:04:38 pm
      He's on loan at Napoli, what's left to talk about ;)

Who is, Kenny or FSG?

As for the Pepe loan, I am pissed it happened, the way it was carried out and the BS about competition for places, but can understand the logic of the deal happening.

anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #887: Aug 02, 2013 12:29:49 pm
      About time this thread was locked, ain't it. Just turning into absolute waffle
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #888: Aug 02, 2013 01:03:51 pm
      Apologies.

Forget what thread you are in sometimes and just follow the conversation

Will not continue conversation
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #889: Aug 02, 2013 02:02:27 pm
      The Naples fans are a passionate lot - have no doubt they will love the bones of Pepe. Confident he will prove he's still a world class goalie and leader there.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #890: Aug 02, 2013 02:12:05 pm
      The Naples fans are a passionate lot - have no doubt they will love the bones of Pepe. Confident he will prove he's still a world class goalie and leader there.

I think Napoli will see the best of Pepe better than we've ever seen to be honest.

Pepe's coming into his prime for a goal keeper and lets not forget the way Rafa sets his teams up offers his keeper a lot of protection, as Bellamy said, Rafa knows how to nullify the oppositions attacks.

Quick Reply