Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Steve McManaman: How good was he?

Read 9741 times
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Re: Steve McManaman: How good was he?
      Reply #46: Jun 24, 2014 02:01:18 pm
      jo
      You never got to see John Barnes in the flesh then! John Barnes was the real deal, sadly imo McManaman wasn't good enough to lace Barnesy's boots.

Sterling's already a better player, has proper pace and a better shot, so I don't know where McManaman would fit into our current team.

John Barnes was amazing no doubt about that (better than most of the players ever at our club), different position.
      If you had Sterling one side and McManaman the other, saving wing backs from playing this new style of football (leaving themselves stranded) then we'd be sorted, totally.
      He would still be in the starting 11 now for me (Macca).
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #47: Jun 24, 2014 02:55:38 pm
      I love Macca as a commentator. He always sounds so damn exasperated when a team isn't playing well. It's like watching a match with a bunch of friends haha
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #48: Jun 24, 2014 08:24:24 pm
      Natural talent, terrific dribbler over distances. Terrible shooting. Very lazy. Judas. Absolute cock of a person.
      I'd rank him alongside Owen, Spit the Dog Diouf, and Charles Itanje.

If McMoneyman was a great, Sean Dundee was Maradona.
      Whenever I see him, I turn over the channel.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #49: Jun 26, 2014 12:24:29 am
      How can anyone in their right mind rate McManaman in the same league as Diouf?
      Complete bollocks mate Steve Mac was a great player as was Michael Owen btw.
      So what they left get over it it's what players do..

Your problem is fella you think cunting off ex top players who have left makes you
      win a few brownie points on here. But in reality to someone like me it just makes you look childish.

Comparisons between Steve Mac & Sean Dundee with Dundee coming out on top are pathetic tbh.
      McManaman cost us F**k all in the first place & played 364 games so have some respect knobhead..
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #50: Jun 26, 2014 08:51:59 am
      How can anyone in their right mind rate McManaman in the same league as Diouf?
      Complete bollocks mate Steve Mac was a great player as was Michael Owen btw.
      So what they left get over it it's what players do..

Your problem is fella you think cunting off ex top players who have left makes you
      win a few brownie points on here. But in reality to someone like me it just makes you look childish.

Comparisons between Steve Mac & Sean Dundee with Dundee coming out on top are pathetic tbh.
      McManaman cost us f**k all in the first place & played 364 games so have some respect knobhead..

Ofcourse I'm not comparing McMoneyman with Spit the Dog in terms of performances. Nor Charles Itanje, "knobhead" as you put it  :roll:

Its a comment about the lack of morals McMoneyman had. By his laziness in training. His spice boy attitiude and hedonistic lifestyle which caused his game to suffer.

And most importantly, angling for a Bosman, lying to the fans and club. After saying "how upset" he was that the club had tried to force him out.

andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #51: Jun 26, 2014 02:06:07 pm
      You don't have a clue lad.
      McManaman had a great career it didn't suffer due to his apparent hedonistic lifestyle. Complete bollox.
      The club did in fact try to force him out.
      Thats why he went on a bosman.

And he never lied to the fans thats cobblers too.
      Get your facts right next time pleae.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #52: Jun 26, 2014 02:09:22 pm
      Ofcourse I'm not comparing McMoneyman with Spit the Dog in terms of performances. Nor Charles Itanje, "knobhead" as you put it  :roll:

It's Itandje!!  :-*

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #53: Jun 26, 2014 04:02:11 pm
      From what I remember, McManaman shook hands on a new deal with the manager, but then it was turned down by the Liverpool board. Steve wouldn't accept a lesser deal and we tried to sell him to Barca and Newcastle. Barca then used McManaman as a way to get a cheaper deal on Rivaldo. McManaman then had a thigh (or knee) injury. When he came back he played poorly and agreed a deal to leave on a bosman (first big name?)

So while I wouldn't exonerate McManaman there were extenuating circumstances.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #54: Jun 26, 2014 04:45:59 pm
      Fair enough saint but i would exonerate him completely.
      The club renaged on a deal agreed between manager & player. They then offered him a substancially poorer deal.
      He did what anyone else in his position would have done.
      And i don't blame him.
      All this slagging off our ex players & making out they were sh*te fucks me off.
      Especially Owen & McManaman they were both great players for Liverpool i couldn't care who else they played for i just hope they didnt play aswel for them as they did for us.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #55: Jun 26, 2014 05:34:20 pm
      All this slagging off our ex players & making out they were sh*te fucks me off.Especially Owen & McManaman they were both great players for Liverpool i couldn't care who else they played for i just hope they didnt play aswel for them as they did for us.

I agree mate. Keegan, McManaman and Owen were all great players who's footballing reputations have  suffered because of the way they left.

While I may be annoyed when players leave I believe that we should judge players on their ability, and for me they were fantastic players.  The sad thing is we could have signed all three back very quickly if we had wanted to and if we had I am sure they would be held in much higher regard today.

We had a buy back option on Keegan, but I think he was reluctant to return, Madrid offered McManaman back to us after a season, but we apparently didn't want to pay a big fee for a player that had left on a free and obviously Owen wanted to return but we couldn't match Newcastle's offer.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #56: Jun 26, 2014 11:29:52 pm
      Spot on Saint
      We could & should have imo had all 3 of them back.
      All 3 managers got it wrong.
      Imagine Keegan & Dalglish on the same team!!
      RedRepublican
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts |
      Reply #57: Aug 20, 2014 09:16:14 pm
      He was undoubtedly a superb talent. He  was, imo, one of the best dribblers of the 90s and one of those players who was hugely exciting to watch as he made things happen. He was also a brilliant athlete: often he would finish games, having run the show, and look like he could play another 90 minutes.

But all that said, I never felt he quite fulfilled his potential. He could be a little 'hot and cold' in games.

And not that this matters to us LFC fans, but when considering holistically 'how good he was', it has to be said he never really did anything for England. I think this influenced the perceptions of a lot of non-LFC fans and the media that he wasn't as good as his reputation.

Quick Reply