Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

If you became chairman

Read 1603 times
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      If you became chairman
      Jan 26, 2013 08:33:13 pm
      This is a light-hearted topic of what you would do if you had the opportunity to buy out current owners of Liverpool FC. This is not a dig at the current owners (I think they have done reasonably well, compared to the previous cowboys).

So if you became chairman, bought the club's shares and was very rich, how would you run the club?

Personally

"Weā€™re a very, very modest club at Liverpool. We donā€™t talk. We donā€™t boast. But weā€™re very professional."

I would prefer to be a very laid-back chairman (which is really what the definition of a chairman is). Shying away from the media. The one who would be signing the cheques. Living the quiet life - the focus of attention is out on that football pitch. This is a family football club and all people with an interest in the club should be treated with the highest level of respect and integrity. It's not a business or sports venture.

Philosiphy

I would move to live in Liverpool if I was not living there at the time. So no more chairman "commuting" or basing their operations far away from Merseyside in the UK or even abroad. An open door policy.

For every new player to join Liverpool, or player promoted to the Academy, I would personally welcome them. I would give them the "Liverpool FC" bible. This would be a book of the success, traditions, mantra and famous quotes of the football club. Essential reading material. Losing at half time? That should be inspiration for every football player.

Bring back the culture of "promoting within". Players who retire at the club should be encouraged to become part of the coaching staff (but thats a decision for the gaffer). We will treat our own extremely well and be greatful for their success. Once you become part of Liverpool, you can remain part of something bigger than life.  WE WILL LOOK AFTER YOU. If there comes a need for a new manager, then lets look at our own first.

If we have a really stinker of a game away from home (heavy defeat) the club should apologies to the fans and refund the ticket and also some amount of travel expenses.

Finances

I would drop ticket day prices immediately. As I am running the club as a football club and not for profit movies, the club could easily afford a drop in ticket revenue. Make the home games more attractive to the "ordinary fan". The players, coaches, chairman, directors - we all owe it to our fans who pay good money to watch Liverpool play. This would be made up partly by an increase in price of corporate boxes and advertising revenue on. billboards, banners etc...

Allocate free tickets to Liverpool supporers in the armed forces.

Back the gaffer fully in the transfer window and invest significant amounts. At the end of the day, his record would be judged by performances on the pitch, not by net spend or how much wages we have saved. Applies to new players and also coaching staff. No annual budget but that comes with extra responsibility. The more money spent will mean results will be expected faster.

Invest heavily into the Academy. If necessary rebuild or expand Melwood.

No advertising at all on any new Liverpool shirts.

Whilst the gaffer is free to negotiate contracts with players and staff as he wishes, a clause would be inserted into every contract of big financial penalties if they leave the club before the contract finishes. This would be at least 4 times (maybe more) his current basic wage and would apply at any time between the start and end of the contract. This would not apply if the manager actively wants to get rid of the player.
      This probably happens anyway to some extent

Other Aspects
      As a football club, we also try and serve the wider community. Our footballers should do some charity thing once a week, if time allows.

Offer to pay all family costs for any future Hillsborough enquiries. As long as necessary until justice is finally done and the responsible parties are sentenced and jailed.

Once a month, the fans can get the chance to meet a Committee of people (Chairman, Directors, Manager) and voice their opinion. Food and drink provided at our expense :) The Chairman and directors must attend and must answer all quesations

Open more Summer camps in developing football countries (e.g. Japan, USA) to again increase our fan appeal and also possible future players.

I would politiely ask the moderators of lfcreds.com to invest in making new message icons for starting new forum threads. For God sake, Phillip Degen is still there

Stadium

A little contraversial but I would suspend the current "stadium situation" and look again at the possibility of a new stadium. I'm not sure how much Anfield can be expanded by. But lets say it could actually go up to 70000-80000, but traffic and other considerations would not make that feasible and would need significant funding. Thats fine, I will put some of my own money to the Council to get the work done. We could fill up 70000 on match days, especially with reduced ticket prices. Again there will possibly be consequences on the wider community (more homes demolished)

If this is not possible, then we would have to look at a new stadium. Again we should be looking at 70000 at the minimum.

This is a sensive issue and a double edged sword

Long Term Goal

I would oversee a transition of Liverpool FC becoming a 100% fan-owned club, which could possibly be achieved in a few years once an offer is raised. I would remain a shareholder (about 10%) with hardly any influence. I would value my shares at a reduced price to speed up the "sale".

Well there you have it. Some of it probably makes no sense and I feel some of it was just made up on the spot  :lmao:

But how would you do things? Would you run it like David Moores, DIC, Hicks and Gillett or maybe even the Venkys... Be as serious or funny as you want!

« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2013 08:43:39 pm by nelioneil »
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Re: If you became chairman
      Reply #1: Jan 26, 2013 11:59:00 pm
      How would you manage your transfer plans when you are cutting ticket prices and getting rid of shirt sponsors
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #2: Jan 27, 2013 12:58:20 am
      This is a light-hearted topic of what you would do if you had the opportunity to buy out current owners of Liverpool FC. This is not a dig at the current owners (I think they have done reasonably well, compared to the previous cowboys).

So if you became chairman, bought the club's shares and was very rich, how would you run the club?

Personally

"Weā€™re a very, very modest club at Liverpool. We donā€™t talk. We donā€™t boast. But weā€™re very professional."

I would prefer to be a very laid-back chairman (which is really what the definition of a chairman is). Shying away from the media. The one who would be signing the cheques. Living the quiet life - the focus of attention is out on that football pitch. This is a family football club and all people with an interest in the club should be treated with the highest level of respect and integrity. It's not a business or sports venture.

Philosiphy

I would move to live in Liverpool if I was not living there at the time. So no more chairman "commuting" or basing their operations far away from Merseyside in the UK or even abroad. An open door policy.

For every new player to join Liverpool, or player promoted to the Academy, I would personally welcome them. I would give them the "Liverpool FC" bible. This would be a book of the success, traditions, mantra and famous quotes of the football club. Essential reading material. Losing at half time? That should be inspiration for every football player.

Bring back the culture of "promoting within". Players who retire at the club should be encouraged to become part of the coaching staff (but thats a decision for the gaffer). We will treat our own extremely well and be greatful for their success. Once you become part of Liverpool, you can remain part of something bigger than life.  WE WILL LOOK AFTER YOU. If there comes a need for a new manager, then lets look at our own first.

If we have a really stinker of a game away from home (heavy defeat) the club should apologies to the fans and refund the ticket and also some amount of travel expenses.

Finances

I would drop ticket day prices immediately. As I am running the club as a football club and not for profit movies, the club could easily afford a drop in ticket revenue. Make the home games more attractive to the "ordinary fan". The players, coaches, chairman, directors - we all owe it to our fans who pay good money to watch Liverpool play. This would be made up partly by an increase in price of corporate boxes and advertising revenue on. billboards, banners etc...

Allocate free tickets to Liverpool supporers in the armed forces.

Back the gaffer fully in the transfer window and invest significant amounts. At the end of the day, his record would be judged by performances on the pitch, not by net spend or how much wages we have saved. Applies to new players and also coaching staff. No annual budget but that comes with extra responsibility. The more money spent will mean results will be expected faster.

Invest heavily into the Academy. If necessary rebuild or expand Melwood.

No advertising at all on any new Liverpool shirts.

Whilst the gaffer is free to negotiate contracts with players and staff as he wishes, a clause would be inserted into every contract of big financial penalties if they leave the club before the contract finishes. This would be at least 4 times (maybe more) his current basic wage and would apply at any time between the start and end of the contract. This would not apply if the manager actively wants to get rid of the player.
      This probably happens anyway to some extent

Other Aspects
      As a football club, we also try and serve the wider community. Our footballers should do some charity thing once a week, if time allows.

Offer to pay all family costs for any future Hillsborough enquiries. As long as necessary until justice is finally done and the responsible parties are sentenced and jailed.

Once a month, the fans can get the chance to meet a Committee of people (Chairman, Directors, Manager) and voice their opinion. Food and drink provided at our expense :) The Chairman and directors must attend and must answer all quesations

Open more Summer camps in developing football countries (e.g. Japan, USA) to again increase our fan appeal and also possible future players.

I would politiely ask the moderators of lfcreds.com to invest in making new message icons for starting new forum threads. For God sake, Phillip Degen is still there

Stadium

A little contraversial but I would suspend the current "stadium situation" and look again at the possibility of a new stadium. I'm not sure how much Anfield can be expanded by. But lets say it could actually go up to 70000-80000, but traffic and other considerations would not make that feasible and would need significant funding. Thats fine, I will put some of my own money to the Council to get the work done. We could fill up 70000 on match days, especially with reduced ticket prices. Again there will possibly be consequences on the wider community (more homes demolished)

If this is not possible, then we would have to look at a new stadium. Again we should be looking at 70000 at the minimum.

This is a sensive issue and a double edged sword

Long Term Goal

I would oversee a transition of Liverpool FC becoming a 100% fan-owned club, which could possibly be achieved in a few years once an offer is raised. I would remain a shareholder (about 10%) with hardly any influence. I would value my shares at a reduced price to speed up the "sale".

Well there you have it. Some of it probably makes no sense and I feel some of it was just made up on the spot  :lmao:

But how would you do things? Would you run it like David Moores, DIC, Hicks and Gillett or maybe even the Venkys... Be as serious or funny as you want!

I'm sorry but majority of your points are stupid.
      davepolo
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -1 
      • taught English by AZ, grAmmEr schooL fAiLure
      Reply #3: Jan 27, 2013 08:34:49 pm
      Employ people in all positions that have the experience of dealing with the greatest club in the world.

Plan for the now and not a 3 year plan.

Give the fans a voice within the club.

Make the pies cheaper and of better quality.

Bring back Rafa and Kenny.

Buy players to fit into a system and not square pegs into round  holes.

get us to were we belong at the top of European football.

redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #4: Jan 28, 2013 03:32:16 am
      If Iā€™m the new owner, Iā€™d do the followings  :-

Players

Weā€™re most probably short of 6 players to compete against the top 4. We canā€™t afford to slip further and needs to play catch up fast to put us back on the world map, otherwise quality sponsors will fast dissapear over the horizon. We canā€™t rely totally on the junior players to get us up to where we belong, thatā€™ll take most probably another 4 or more years. We need to fast track on the matter. I would invest heavily on say the next 3-transfer windows to get the 6-players in, 2-real quality players in each window, budget no more than 20 mil each.

The money wasted on the underperformed players must be recovred fast, no point brooding over it, get it over with and salvage as much from our sales, otherwise itā€™ll continue to hold us back.

Credit to the owners for forcing BR to look into the reserves that have unearthed gems like Wisdom, Kelly, Robinson, Sterling etc, theyā€™re for the future. However, as what I have mentioned and Stevie & Suarez echoed the same not long after that, there must be a balance in the team, we really need some quality experience players in to show the younger players how it is done and why it must be done. Yes they may have the skills and desire, but there must be enough quality and experience players on the pitch to show them the finer details of it. We canā€™t expect the youth players to carry us to the finishing line, however, if they could Iā€™ll be the most happy supporter on earth, but in reality they couldnā€™t.

Transfer Policy

Long term transfer policy shouldnā€™t be one that buys expensive foreign import players, as we have so often gone after established or so called potential players and ended up paying insanely inflated prices, but more of looking into the domestic leagues or the South American leagues. As soon as weā€™re good enough to compete against the top 4 or good enough to win the league, we should target to get only say 1 quality player from overseas each season, budget no more than 20 or 25 mil. Transfer policy should be one where we identify our needs way ahead of what we really needed for succession and not on the basis of desperate or panic buying.

Scouting System

This is the most important to me, the scouting system must be set-up in such a way that the lower leagues are scouted THOROUGHLY THOROUGHLY THOROUGHLY for potential and quality players and a target set to unearth at least ā€œ2-Gemsā€ per season to the first team that no one gave notice of and they will be there for succession plans and slowly ease them into the first team. Iā€™m sure if the club is serious on the matter and enough efforts were given on the matter Iā€™m sure getting 2-quality players in per season is not a big ask. Besides that, our own academy must also be given the pressure to shortlist and come up with at least 2-local lads each season into the first team. I like us to go back to the old Liverpool way on how it was done in the 70s and 80s.

As it is now, we often scouted for established foreign players but as soon as a foreign player becomes established or in the process of becoming a star in a foreign league, we simply do not need a scouting system to do that, most club knows them, the scouts are merely messenger boys, we will eventually overpay for the players and money also goes to the agents. So often, weā€™ve gotten South American players via foreign leagues in Europe and weā€™ve most probably paid an extra 5 or more millions for the players as opposed to, if we had a permanent scouting camp in South America to unearth the next Suarez or Messi which could be much cheaper. Surely it wonā€™t cost us that much, 5 mil to do that over 2-years and Iā€™m sure we can find some good players that may be worth many times more than the 5 mil.

Financial

Iā€™m no financial man, so I can only say things very generally as a layman. Itā€™s a real compliment to know that many big time sponsors still recognise us as a big club inspite of our lack of success in recent years. But we must re-establish that status fast as big time sponsors can only be as patient as they could and they can go elsewhere, weā€™re lucky enough to have established a name for ourselves back in the 70s and 80s that we have been leveraging on at the moment. As many have said, success on the pitch will automatically point to financial success.  We can only get as many sponsors names on the jersey and billboards but the marketing department must work on innovative ways of getting more revenue in.  I canā€™t say more as Iā€™m no marketing man, Iā€™m sure thereā€™re ways to do it.

Stadium

We really needed a new stadium, some say 60,000, why not 90,000. Some may say Iā€™m greedy but we have to plan for future demands, not 10 years down the road and we realise that we actually needed a 90,000 stadium. When a stadium is built for 60,000, itā€™s 60,000 and itā€™s not going to get any bigger unless itā€™s build to allow future expansion into 90,000 stadium. Ok, itā€™s not easy to fill a 90,000 stadium, but Iā€™m sure as an owner Iā€™m happy to compromise on the ticket prices to make it more affordable to fill the stadium.  Itā€™s easier said than done but the greatest challenge is how to get the finances to build it? 

Study Into The Finer Details Of Our Past Successes

Iā€™ll make sure that every department head including BR studies into the blue print of our past successes to short-cut our road to recovery while we must have done a lot of right things in the 70s and 80s. Invite those that have seen and done it before to impart their invaluable experience and knowledge to the new regime and have workshop sessions set-up with previous players and personnels and paid for. Have a get together session with the former greats once or twice a year, all paid for by the club including appearance fee to allow the former greats to express their thoughts on the current players, tactics, opposing teams, behind close doors and details and information  remains private and confidential to the top management and manager.

Playersā€™ Welfare

Make it known to every player that those that have performed and sacrificed for the club will have a place in the club after retirement and the club will find ways to take care of them. Itā€™s better to hire one of your own then getting outsiders. More importantly, the new manager will also come from within and hiring of foreign maangers will be a thing of the past, unless itā€™s necessary.

Well, canā€™t think of anything further to add on at the moment.

« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2013 03:57:05 am by redkop63 »

Quick Reply