Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 403121 times
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #1173: Aug 11, 2014 08:36:26 pm
      Those through balls/weighted passes were a f**king joy to behold, the lad should were one of those pointy hats with stars on cause he's the nearest thing to a magician in footy boots.
      That one where he received quite a poor pass from Henderson, yet managed to flick it round in to his stride then slid it through to Sterling. Anyone got a gif?
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #1174: Aug 11, 2014 09:24:24 pm
      Its perculiar. He started life at Liverpool being known as a playmaker of the short/medium range variety.

However, in Spain and Italy, he was known as much for his dribbling and running. Infact, when he arrived here, I remember some journalists were even talking about Cou as a better dribbler than Suarez(ok substantial exageration IMO), and known for his "rasping long shots" (whatever that means! - I assume powerful)

At Inter he would take free kicks outside the box. And in Spain he was known for his shots. Strangely, he hasnt been known for his shooting much in England. And in terms of dribbling, it   was something Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling etc would do more.

There's some clips of Cou in Spain, and he's doing things like flicking the ball up in the air to beat defenders. Other than Ronaldinho, I cant really think of anyone who'd have the audacity to even TRY something like that.

So I think, the bottom line is that while he is currenly a very good playmaker, with the right work and coaching, he could become a substantially better player.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1175: Aug 11, 2014 09:46:37 pm
      Took his shot well and some (well most) of his passes were just beautiful. He really could help folks forget about Suarez if he's on form all year.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #1176: Aug 17, 2014 05:09:02 pm
      Struggled to find the space today and when he did often over hit passes. Just one of those days for him today nothing really came off, he'll be back in the next game though.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 822 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1177: Aug 17, 2014 05:12:10 pm
      Struggled to find the space today and when he did often over hit passes. Just one of those days for him today nothing really came off, he'll be back in the next game though.

Lets hope so, thats the thing with Coutinho when his on his game he is immense, but there are games where he like Allen/Lucas goes missing. But he still isn't involved now and then but it never quite good enough, his passes weighted too heavily, takes too many touches on the ball.

Hope he is back to his best for next week.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #1178: Aug 17, 2014 11:46:43 pm
      Very poor today, just couldn't get into the game the way we needed him to.

Hopefully it was just a one off though because throughout pre-season he was unplayable.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1179: Aug 18, 2014 01:15:58 am
      Coutinho struggles when the ref allows players to bully him. That happened today, can't stand Clattenburg because so often the matches he officiates turn into rugby matches.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #1180: Aug 19, 2014 04:49:50 pm
      Called up to the Brazilian squad apparently.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1181: Aug 19, 2014 05:58:07 pm
      Called up to the Brazilian squad apparently.

It would have been a complete travesty if he weren't.

Could be now though that Leiva's time within the squad has come to an end!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1182: Aug 19, 2014 06:01:03 pm
      Part of me is glad he has gotten the call up he deserves and that is long overdue but another part of me wishes he hadn't so he wouldn't get injured whilst with Brazil.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1183: Aug 20, 2014 06:54:21 am
      Getting Coutinho on the ball in the oppositions half is going to be one of the biggest challenges for him and the coaching staff this season. The opposition generally arenĀ“t stupid, and by now they pretty much all know that if you allow the little Brazillian time and space to get his head up heĀ“ll create mayhem. Given heĀ“s so good at dropping his shoulder etc, most like Koeman will also work out that the best way of all of stopping him is to stop him getting the ball in the first place. To this end theyĀ“ll try and screen him out so thereĀ“s one in front and one behind, just like Southampton did. That they were able to do that so effectively at the weekend is an indictment of Henderson and Lucas, neither of whom were consistently avalable to receive the ball, nor were they effective enough in posession (save for Hendersons wonderful pass) to make the opposition recdonsider their positions at any stage. Equally, our passing and movement as a team was never quick enough nor crisp enough to move it around the screen and into Coutinho.

The responsibility lies with the player himself also. Coutinho if he isnĀ“t getting on the ball isnĀ“t worth having on the pitch, and for me he has to show a greater desire to change the game in our direction than he did on Sunday. ItĀ“s not really where you want to see him play, but when heĀ“s so effectively zoned out of it IĀ“d like to see him dropping deeper in order to get touches on occasions. Anything in order to break up a well drilled plan to keep him quiet is worth consideration, but IĀ“m convinced that if we fail as a team to get him into it we will suffer accordingly.

Phillipe would do well to study videos of Suarez, not because he plays in the same position but he could learn from LuisĀ“s incredible desire to influence the game in any which way he can. As a team we need Coutinho and his creativity even more now Luis has gone, and this conundrum could well define our season. If Coutinho wins the Premier League player of the year awards, then in all probability we win the league IMHO, heĀ“s that important.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1184: Aug 20, 2014 05:59:53 pm
      now that if you allow the little Brazillian time and space to get his head up heĀ“ll create mayhem. Given heĀ“s so good at dropping his shoulder etc, most like Koeman will also work ou

Same feelings too. Greedy side of me was hoping he'd never get called up :D But he deserves it.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 822 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1185: Aug 20, 2014 07:11:26 pm
      Hope the call up will only motivate him more and help him reach top form.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1186: Aug 21, 2014 11:48:25 am
      Philippe Coutinho believes the family feel of Liverpool has allowed him to blossom and play with a confidence in his own outstanding ability.

The playmaker was in exceptional form throughout the Reds' pre-season programme and was rewarded for his endeavours with a call-up to the Brazilian national team this week, for two friendlies in the United States in September.

The news was met with delight from both teammates and fans alike, who feel it is a just decision for Coutinho - and the man himself cites the close-knit nature of the club as a major factor in allowing him to perform with a self-assurance in his talents.

"I've improved my confidence quite a bit," the 22-year-old said in an interview with Liverpoolfc.com. "It is very important, as a player can only give his best when he has confidence in himself. Playing consecutive games with the first team [when I first arrived] was also helpful.

"I found a family when I first arrived here. This club really is like a family and this helped me feel very comfortable when I first came to Liverpool.

"Playing alongside great players such as our captain, Steven Gerrard, and seeing how simple, humble and hard-working people they are also helped me learn and feel comfortable here."

Coutinho's call-up is part of new coach Dunga's plans to revive the Brazilian national team following their World Cup disappointment in the summer.

Many had tipped the Liverpool No.10 to be given the nod to represent his country at the tournament, but it wasn't to be.

"In all honesty I did not have many hopes of being called up for this World Cup as I hadn't been named in the squads prior to the tournament," he reflected a few days before he discovered he was back in the Brazil fold.

"I tried not to raise my expectations because I knew it would be difficult to happen.

"One of my dreams was - and still is - to play at a World Cup. But in the end I was there supporting Brazil and now I'll try to work harder at Liverpool to get my chance with the Brazilian national team."

That hard work has ultimately paid off following Tuesday's news of his call-up for friendlies against Colombia and Ecuador in Miami and New Jersey.

Still, Coutinho is aware there's still plenty of graft ahead on the training pitches as he aims to hone his talents.

"I'm constantly trying to grow and show improvement," he concluded. "It's important to frequently show something new as there are so many players in constant competition in football."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/169261-coutinho-i-ve-found-a-family-at-liverpool
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #1187: Aug 21, 2014 05:33:47 pm
      No wonder that bellend Scolari got sacked, why he opted for players like Marcelo and Bernard over Filipe Luis and Coutinho, I'll never know.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1188: Aug 25, 2014 11:14:32 pm

Homer
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1189: Aug 26, 2014 12:09:29 am
      The lad is a central attacking midfielder should be playing behind Sturridge.

He is absolutely wasted on the left.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1190: Aug 26, 2014 12:43:43 pm
      I think the return of Lallana will do him the world of good. He won't have to start every game and take some of the pressure of him. Frustating how he was trying to force the pass when it would have been wiser to retain possesion. This is something you need to do more so against the big boys as it gives our defence some breathing time. Some of the passes that went astray were in a central position and if City were sharper could have been punished.
      Patience is the key not just for Couts but the rest of the team as we are not going to score with each attack which seemed endemic last night with forced passes going astray light night.
      The little magician just needs time to develop into the player we know he can become.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #1191: Aug 26, 2014 12:55:08 pm
      Brendan needs to realise Cou cannot play on the left wing he is an AM that is his only position. Think Lallana and Markovic will be more effective on the wings.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #1192: Aug 26, 2014 12:58:29 pm
      To accommodate Cou and allow Markovic or Lallana play also we will have to play with one striker I think, either Danny or Mario. This will allow Cou to play in his best position behind the striker. Playing Cou on the wing will be of no help to the team or his confidence.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #1193: Aug 26, 2014 01:59:47 pm
      People talk about on and off form. But I see it more in terms of attributes and deficiencies. When its his type of game, he looks terrific eg v Dortmund. But the last 2 games he's really struggled. But its not just him, its been the natural adjustment of the whole team.

I certainly wouldnt want him as a winger. I'd want him central, with much defensive support behind him.
      Some players are "better than they look". I wonder, does Cou sometimes look a little more accomplished than he is.
      More and more, I think I'd like to see some physique transformation from Cou. I think that would help him. As it did with Ronaldo, Alonso and others in the PL. I think the heart says we all want him to succeed as a lynchpin of the team. But the head says that currently he looks a very good prospect, but probably not the saviour that will replace Luis. Atleast not for the early foreseeable future.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #1194: Aug 26, 2014 02:06:50 pm
      People talk about on and off form. But I see it more in terms of attributes and deficiencies. When its his type of game, he looks terrific eg v Dortmund. But the last 2 games he's really struggled. But its not just him, its been the natural adjustment of the whole team.

I certainly wouldnt want him as a winger. I'd want him central, with much defensive support behind him.
      Some players are "better than they look". I wonder, does Cou sometimes look a little more accomplished than he is.
      More and more, I think I'd like to see some physique transformation from Cou. I think that would help him. As it did with Ronaldo, Alonso and others in the PL. I think the heart says we all want him to succeed as a lynchpin of the team. But the head says that currently he looks a very good prospect, but probably not the saviour that will replace Luis. Atleast not for the early foreseeable future.

Agree that Cou should only be played in the middle and is still not the finished article. But I'd be surprised if anyone expects him to ever become the saviour to replace Luis. Cou is not a prolific goal scorer and never will be. He is a creative midfielder he will never replace Luis as he will never play up front.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1195: Aug 31, 2014 11:16:57 pm
      Disappointed to see him resigned to the bench and not even play a part, but I suppose it was the right decision. I really rate Coutinho and feel he could become a world class player - the potential is there! He needs to get more involved though and that doesn't seem to happen when he's out on the left. Hope to see him tearing it up against Villa in a fortnights time.

Quick Reply