Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 402923 times
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,154 posts | 259 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #1265: Oct 02, 2014 12:52:03 pm
      What has actually happened to Coutinho? When he first signed for us in January 2013, the kid was absolutely unplayable. He was nearly impossible to tackle, would take on opponents without the fear, would play some of the most audacious passes like that one against Fulham with the outside of his boot. The boy was only 20 at the time but everything he produced was like a breath of fresh air.

13/14 season arrived and his performances, personally, I would describe as inconsistent. Had some fantastic games but also had some poor games. Looked lightweight, didn't attack his opponents like before and had a habit for trying to force the play. Ended up being very wasteful and frustrating to watch. Has been that way since.

A lack of talent isn't this boys problem.

You could describe his performance for Raheem and Hendo to a degree.

Something systemically wrong within the team .

Strange things happened throughout the team, mate. Every players seemed too soft, cannot retain the ball, cannot find teammate at pass and totally changed their style of play. Raheem, Coutinho, Markovic seemed completely forget how to play direct and hesitate to dribble pass his man and forgot how to shot the ball. game by game I keep watching them and ask myself what the F**k is happened, as always god never give me an answer.
      Since season start only Moreno, Manquillo and Lallana look very lively and positive, for others I hope it just BR's adjusting his system and players need time to adapt, plus learning to understand their teammates.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1266: Oct 04, 2014 11:27:04 pm
      Shocking the drop in his play since last season.

I noticed he seems to be taking WAY too many touches on the ball now; we're trying to play a style with one/two touch and then pass, then Coutinho gets the ball and he must take 10 touches before just giving it back to Stevie or something.

it's worrying.  I don't like blaming other players when someone isn't doing well, they should all pull their own weight, but I do wonder if part of it is the lack of movement in front of him.  Last season he could get the ball, look up, and Suarez or Sturridge or Sterling were giving him a passing option right away.  Now there's no one there so he just kind of dawdles around waiting for something to open up and then it never does.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1267: Oct 05, 2014 04:28:30 am

I noticed he seems to be taking WAY too many touches on the ball now; we're trying to play a style with one/two touch and then pass, then Coutinho gets the ball and he must take 10 touches before just giving it back to Stevie or something.

it's worrying.  I don't like blaming other players when someone isn't doing well, they should all pull their own weight, but I do wonder if part of it is the lack of movement in front of him.  Last season he could get the ball, look up, and Suarez or Sturridge or Sterling were giving him a passing option right away.  Now there's no one there so he just kind of dawdles around waiting for something to open up and then it never does.

I honestly think that is one of the main reasons. It's not just affecting him either, I think it is also affecting Sterling. Last season they could both pick the ball up and run forward, rest assured that Suarez or Sturridge would be in front of them to off load to but as soon as they give the ball to Lambert or Balotelli the ball is coming back again which is making them look ineffective.

The one thing I can't understand is, if we rely on a striker like Sturridge to get goals and bring out the best in our top creative players then why buy two complete contrasting strikers in Balotelli and Lambert for back up?
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1268: Oct 05, 2014 10:28:42 pm

And last season wasn't as good as the season before that for him. When he joined in jan/feb 2012, I think he was statistically the best attacking midfielder in the league alongside Santi Cazorla up until the end of the season.

Anyone remember his performance against Newcastle? Or that insane out of the boot pass against Fulham. The kid is clearly insanely gifted, but right now something is playing with his mind.

Contract? Getting into Brazil side? Added competition from Markovic or Lallana? Pressure of being called 'brain of the team' by rodgers? By the way, that is something I feel Rodgers tends to do too much - public praise. Comments of such were not necessary IMO.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1269: Oct 05, 2014 11:24:00 pm
      And last season wasn't as good as the season before that for him. When he joined in jan/feb 2012, I think he was statistically the best attacking midfielder in the league alongside Santi Cazorla up until the end of the season.

Anyone remember his performance against Newcastle? Or that insane out of the boot pass against Fulham. The kid is clearly insanely gifted, but right now something is playing with his mind.

Contract? Getting into Brazil side? Added competition from Markovic or Lallana? Pressure of being called 'brain of the team' by rodgers? By the way, that is something I feel Rodgers tends to do too much - public praise. Comments of such were not necessary IMO.

So he should call them sh*te in public instead?

What's wrong with praising players, everyone ones to be told how brilliant they are and none more so than ego's of footballers.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1270: Oct 06, 2014 03:46:15 am
      Unlike seemingly a lot on here, I'm not worried about Coutinho. His game is to play throughballs. And seeing as neither Balotelli or Lambert are keen on making those kinds of runs, Coutinho's trying to compensate in other areas of his game he's not as well-suited at. Sturridge back will see Coutinho's form improve.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1271: Oct 06, 2014 09:23:12 am
      So he should call them sh*te in public instead?

What's wrong with praising players, everyone ones to be told how brilliant they are and none more so than ego's of footballers.

No not at all. There is nothing wrong with a bit of praise from the manager but to label him 'the brain of the team' could surely put him under immense pressure to be that creative spark we need in midfield. All I have seen from Coutinho this season is a player who is constantly trying to force play. It's a little predictable if you were to ask me and doesn't seem like his natural game whatsoever.

Watch back to Feb-April of 2012 when the kid had nothing to lose. A kid who is obviously playing without any pressure. You cannot lose that ability over the course of two seasons.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #1272: Oct 14, 2014 01:26:14 pm
      Just provided a nice assist to Neymar.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1273: Oct 14, 2014 02:08:38 pm
      Beautiful pass that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1274: Oct 14, 2014 08:09:20 pm
      Hopefully he can get back to doing that for us.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1275: Oct 14, 2014 08:39:49 pm

We're buying Neymar? Surely you should put something in the General Transfer thread?!? :D
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1276: Oct 14, 2014 09:21:57 pm

stuff like that is easy for Coutinho when he has attackers willing to make those runs.

As I said earlier in this thread I don't like to blame player-x when player-y isn't playing well, but you have to admit that Balotelli is much more static and isn't trying to make runs like Neymar does, like Suarez and Sturridge did last season etc.  Last season when Coutinho got the ball he looked up and someone was on his bike and ready for an incisive pass.  This season Coutinho gets the ball, looks up, and everyone is stuck in mud and staring at him and so he ends up dawdling and then doing nothing and/or losing the ball.

I wonder if things would be different if he had different attackers in front of him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1277: Oct 14, 2014 10:01:17 pm
      We're buying Neymar? Surely you should put something in the General Transfer thread?!? :D

Already plays for us doesn't he? Could have sworn we signed him this summer along with Neuer....Oh, must have gotten confused with Football Manager.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1278: Oct 15, 2014 08:16:07 am
      stuff like that is easy for Coutinho when he has attackers willing to make those runs.

As I said earlier in this thread I don't like to blame player-x when player-y isn't playing well, but you have to admit that Balotelli is much more static and isn't trying to make runs like Neymar does, like Suarez and Sturridge did last season etc.  Last season when Coutinho got the ball he looked up and someone was on his bike and ready for an incisive pass.  This season Coutinho gets the ball, looks up, and everyone is stuck in mud and staring at him and so he ends up dawdling and then doing nothing and/or losing the ball.

I wonder if things would be different if he had different attackers in front of him.

I agree. That's why he is most successful when DS is on the pitch. He is our only attacker willing to make those clever runs in behind the defence.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1279: Oct 15, 2014 10:31:20 am
      Unlike seemingly a lot on here, I'm not worried about Coutinho. His game is to play throughballs. And seeing as neither Balotelli or Lambert are keen on making those kinds of runs, Coutinho's trying to compensate in other areas of his game he's not as well-suited at. Sturridge back will see Coutinho's form improve.
      You're not alone in not being worried about Philippe Mozzie...

Philippe is a fine player, creative and cultured but when his options for an attacking pass is to the feet of a striker who drops deep, plays with his back to goal and is therefore invariably marked by two defenders; he's bound to look less effective than before...

... Yeah he then has the option of holding on to the ball and 'circulating' it [sterile circulation; isn't that what it's called?] in a nice, safe but ultimately ineffective piece of 'football' but... then you could argue that his creativity too becomes stifled. He becomes another Allen or Lucas and we end up very patient but 'sterile'. The clue is in the name. Remember how far 'sterile circulation' got us pre Couts and Danny?...

... Couts will flourish again (he's too good not to), when he's got Danny back and Raheem plays in front of him. In my opinion, of course.
      Thankfully there's enough of us who have been blessed with the gift of sight.  ;D
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1280: Oct 15, 2014 11:39:42 am

Totally agree. When it was going well, Stevie would get the ball and Coutinho would be off and then when he got it from Stevie, Danny and Luis would be off. Cant help but think that the way Stevie has been getting man marked alongside the lack of movement up front in the absence of Studge and the sale of Luis has meant that the likes of Coutinho and Raheem have lost a lot of the fluency to their games.

Really hope that Studge gives us that offensive oomph that we really, really need and also stays fit. If not then I think that we may live to regret the Mario signing. I love Mario but for all of the wrong things. My hearts says he'll do well but my head thinks it should have been Remy. That train of thought has come about since I've watched Mario failing to offer the type of movement that the likes of Coutinho and Sterling need him to for us to fluently attack opposition defences.

Balotelli and Sturridge together, however, will hopefully change everything and bring out the best in everybody.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1281: Oct 15, 2014 12:44:35 pm
      We will see the best of the wee man now studger is back.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1282: Oct 19, 2014 09:38:48 pm
      MOTM today for me, can only be a positive for the rest of the season because we rely so much on Couts.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1283: Oct 19, 2014 11:40:44 pm
      Was excellent hoping he can kick on from this.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1284: Oct 20, 2014 12:13:12 am
      Certainly looked much more of a threat once he came on.= and that ball through to Sterling to set up the winner was just like what we became so used to seeing from him, spot on.

Just provided a nice assist to Neymar.

Nearly, if only Sterling had gone for goal.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1285: Oct 20, 2014 12:24:49 am
      Certainly looked much more of a threat once he came on.= and that ball through to Sterling to set up the winner was just like what we became so used to seeing from him, spot on.

Nearly, if only Sterling had gone for goal.

That's why I would love to see Sterling playing in that midfield role on the left or right, making those runs out of nowhere when Coutinho drops deeper to collect the ball, and their defense being too busy with our forwards. I think it would work wonders, even more so with Hendo joining in too, which he is more than capable of.

With Henderson and Sterling making those runs and Lallana and Sturridge/Borini's movement up front, Coutinho (and even Gerrard) would cause so much havoc.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #1286: Oct 23, 2014 01:16:20 am
      Best player in red last night. Hes definitely stepped it up in the last month or so after a poor start to the season.
      Cou should be to key to our game play, he makes things happen.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #1287: Oct 23, 2014 03:33:38 am
      He may have been average on the night which made him stand out against the rest of the lads in red, however someone needs to get hold of the lad and tell him sometimes 1 or 2 touches is enough. He seems to constantly want to have several touches when moving the ball early will help the team.

He has moments of real excellence in his game but needs to move his game up if he's going to get the most out of his talent.

Quick Reply