Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 403484 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,265 posts | 4935 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #1817: Oct 06, 2015 01:40:24 pm
      He'd be perfect playing in a slightly deeper role.
      Like one of the forward midfielders in a 4-3-3.
      Pushing him forward didn't work to his strengths.
      Square peg round hole stuff.

At Barca, behind their front 3 he'd be phenomenal.

Indeed and what many of us have been saying for ages.

He's a number 8 and the natural fit after Iniesta slows down at Barca.

That's my fear as Phil probably sees that himself.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1818: Oct 06, 2015 07:37:16 pm
      Good player but not a consistent out and out match winner. Certainly not in the way our past catalysts of Gerrard, Torres and Suarez were for us. Think the more good players you can get around him the better he plays otherwise he goes into shoot mode.

He and Sturridge have a good understanding and between them can hurt the opposition. Still need a bit more from him but the addition of another top quality player up the pitch could see us start to blow away the lower teams again.

Someone like Reus perhaps? 😅
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #1819: Oct 06, 2015 08:07:14 pm
      He's 23 years old.

He's no where near a finished footballer. He's still learning his craft.

He's absolutely worth 150k a week. He's the player we should be building around and you can be assured he will not be played wide by Klopp like Rodgers insisted. He will be central, and he will be vital.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1820: Oct 06, 2015 08:17:22 pm
      He's 23 years old.

He's no where near a finished footballer. He's still learning his craft.

He's absolutely worth 150k a week. He's the player we should be building around and you can be assured he will not be played wide by Klopp like Rodgers insisted. He will be central, and he will be vital.

Agree, well apart from the 150k a week part. For now, he is far too inconsistent, but then, constantly being played all over the place isn't going to solve that problem. On his day, when he decides to pass, he is top class and incredibly difficult to stop. But, as against Everton, a game where he should be making a statement and taking control, he was missing the entire game and it's been that way on a number of occasions, yet the week before he got two good assists. It's just getting that consistency out of him.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1821: Oct 06, 2015 08:22:01 pm
      Agree, well apart from the 150k a week part. For now, he is far too inconsistent, but then, constantly being played all over the place isn't going to solve that problem. On his day, when he decides to pass, he is top class and incredibly difficult to stop. But, as against Everton, a game where he should be making a statement and taking control, he was missing the entire game and it's been that way on a number of occasions, yet the week before he got two good assists. It's just getting that consistency out of him.

Constantly being played all over the place? We must be watching different matches. Doesn't take a blind man to realise that he's been, by and large, played in the number 10 role for the majority of his Liverpool career.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1822: Oct 06, 2015 08:27:25 pm
      Constantly being played all over the place? We must be watching different matches. Doesn't take a blind man to realise that he's been, by and large, played in the number 10 role for the majority of his Liverpool career.

Okay, because FMS doesn't like what I said, I must have been imagining all the times he was out on the left so he's just purely incapable of finding consistency in his natural position.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,583 posts | 739 
      Reply #1823: Oct 06, 2015 09:12:34 pm
      Make him vice captain over milner
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1824: Oct 06, 2015 10:58:12 pm
      I don't know in terms of specific pounds per week how much Coutinho should be on.

But whatever it is, he should be the highest paid player at the club.  And before you say he's not consistent enough, look at the other top paid players and ask if they are consistent enough.

I mean Coutinho has played a vital role in everything good that we've done on the pitch over the last few seasons.  And yet suddenly Milner drops in and becomes vice captain and is on twice what Coutinho is on?  Why?

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1825: Oct 06, 2015 11:42:59 pm
      I don't know in terms of specific pounds per week how much Coutinho should be on.

But whatever it is, he should be the highest paid player at the club.  And before you say he's not consistent enough, look at the other top paid players and ask if they are consistent enough.

I mean Coutinho has played a vital role in everything good that we've done on the pitch over the last few seasons.  And yet suddenly Milner drops in and becomes vice captain and is on twice what Coutinho is on?  Why?

Can't disagree with any of this.

He should be the one we build our team around he's been instrumental in everything good that happened both last season and this.

And as redman pointed out above he is 23 years old and far from the finished article has the potential to be one of the best in his position so yeah let's offload him and then watch another club reap the benefits then.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #1826: Oct 07, 2015 01:38:36 pm

I disagree. Rodgers pushed him out wide left just as much as he's been played through the middle.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,245 posts | 8577 
      Reply #1827: Oct 07, 2015 03:08:53 pm
      Anyone know what happened?

Could be a blessing in disguise, he doesn't have to travel to wherever the Brazil squad is, and he is around when Klopp gets here to start working with him right away.

Pulled out of the squad two days ago, Kaka replaced him.

Coutinho is not worth 140k a week.

In your opinion!!

I would gladly pay the little fella that, as he is the only exciting thing on the pitch to watch in the last six months.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #1828: Oct 11, 2015 06:20:50 pm
      It can be frustrating watching him without Studge as his link up play with him is terrific. Doesn't seem to have the same rapport with the other attackers. It was the same in 2013/4.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #1829: Oct 13, 2015 07:04:33 pm
      Any news on the fitness of Coutinho or Firmino?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1830: Oct 13, 2015 07:25:36 pm
      Any news on the fitness of Coutinho or Firmino?

Cou trained yesterday but no Firmino yet mate.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1831: Oct 14, 2015 05:55:20 pm
      Will be interesting to see if Klopp can improve the lad, he needs more stamina which will take a while but if he could improve in that area he would be untouchable. Needs to keep it simple sometimes. I would make him watch this video of Gazza bossing Holland, notice how he is never still and just keeps it simple always showing for the ball, that's what I want from a midfielder. As Klopp says, only people make the game difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfurjUOJLc

Probably the last time I genuinely enjoyed watching our national team play the game, that squad was easily the best we've had for a long, long time.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1832: Oct 14, 2015 09:10:56 pm
      Probably the last time I genuinely enjoyed watching our national team play the game, that squad was easily the best we've had for a long, long time.

I met Gazza a few weeks ago as he was playing my mates Charity golf day in Bournemouth. Truly one of the nicest fellas you could ever meet.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1833: Oct 14, 2015 10:43:39 pm
      I met Gazza a few weeks ago as he was playing my mates Charity golf day in Bournemouth. Truly one of the nicest fellas you could ever meet.

Can believe that mate, precocious talent and as they say genius is often touched with madness and presents itself in different ways.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1834: Oct 14, 2015 11:02:36 pm

Astonished by the strength in depth of that team looking at that video. Can't help but think with the likes of young guns like Ferdinand, Owen, Campbell etc waiting just up the road that there was a squandered opportunity with England. Some real ripe players and great potential was produced between the years of 1996-1998.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1835: Oct 21, 2015 08:50:46 am
      Former Brazilian international Lucio has told ''good triend'' and fellow countryman Phllippe Coutinho to stay at Liverpool and reject Barca. 

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/philippe-coutinho-liverpool-star-should-snub-barcelona-approach-order-become-anfield-legend-says-1524867
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #1836: Oct 22, 2015 04:15:46 pm
      Left out of the Brazil squad to play Argentina and Peru. I just hope he reacts to it in the same way he reacted to his omission from the World Cup squad. Put his head down and we seen the best of him, earned his call up again.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1837: Oct 22, 2015 05:41:36 pm
      Left out of the Brazil squad to play Argentina and Peru. I just hope he reacts to it in the same way he reacted to his omission from the World Cup squad. Put his head down and we seen the best of him, earned his call up again.

At least he wont get injured with them!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1838: Oct 22, 2015 06:36:46 pm
      At least he wont get injured with them!

Isn't he carrying a knock anyway?
      I'm sure I read he's got a minor injury, has had it for a while and is just playing through it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1839: Oct 22, 2015 06:42:38 pm
      Isn't he carrying a knock anyway?
      I'm sure I read he's got a minor injury, has had it for a while and is just playing through it.

Would Klopp have played him against Spurs if he had a knock? Genuine question because he took no chances with Sturridge.

Quick Reply