Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 403162 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #2714: Sep 01, 2017 07:56:28 am

Bless him  :roll:
       :tosser:
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,990 posts | 240 
      Reply #2715: Sep 01, 2017 10:15:45 am
      The inside story of why Liverpool simply couldn't buckle and sell Philippe Coutinho to a man they used to know

Five years separates two stories involving the same characters; one prevalent in this country, the another not so well known. They are tales that go some way towards explaining why Barcelona were so forceful in their attempt to sign Philippe Coutinho but ultimately, why their attempt will prove not to be quite forceful enough.

It was in July 2012 when Pep Segura, then the technical manager at Liverpool’s academy, ended his three-year association at the club after previously being told by Liverpool’s owner, John W. Henry, he had earned a promotion.

Before Brendan Rodgers became Liverpool’s manager, Henry and Segura held a three-hour meeting and it was concluded that Segura would become Liverpool’s new sporting director, filling the administrative space left behind by Damien Comolli’s sacking a few months earlier.

Rodgers, though, had other ideas, insisting his own appointment would not involve another tier of management above him. For Segura – a decent man, and someone respected inside Liverpool particularly for his contribution towards the development of Raheem Sterling – there was reasonable embarrassment when he arrived at Melwood for the start of pre-season training only to find out then there would be no place for him in the new set-up.

Despite his efforts to contact Henry about his proposed fresh responsibilities, the line of communication had gone stone cold since Rodgers’s arrival. Though he expected that plans had changed, Segura was upset and angry that he had found out this way and so, on that July morning, rather than driving to the academy in Kirkby as he had been told to by Rodgers, he resigned on the spot – though the announcement of his departure was made a month later.

Those who knew Segura best from his time at Liverpool describe him as a professional and so, his hurt was understandable considering he had been treated without the necessary level of respect. Sources in Catalonia, meanwhile, say Segura has a long memory. Now Barcelona’s general manager having returned to the club where he built his coaching reputation, and as the person overseeing player recruitment, it is told he has viewed the signing of Coutinho as a personal mission.

While Coutinho is seen as a long-term successor for the fading AndrĂ©s Iniesta, the whiplash of his own departure from Liverpool still stings and it is said he would like nothing better than to expose Fenway Sports Group’s collective stance over Coutinho’s future as total mush.

It was a small but significant detail when Fenway released a “definitive” statement earlier this month, outlining that Coutinho would not be sold, this was not a statement released by Liverpool FC but by its ownership group, a statement, indeed, that was not signed off by any person in particular as they often are when something important is announced

Hour-by-hour, day-to-day, week-to-week, Henry does not have much involvement in the decision-making processes at the club and instead, key issues are dealt with by JĂŒrgen Klopp, Michael Edwards, Liverpool’s sporting director, and Mike Gordon, Fenway’s president.

Henry only intervenes when he really needs to and this was one of his calls. Before Coutinho had submitted his transfer request, Henry knew that his scan, taken on Tuesday August 8, for mysterious back strain had returned without obvious signs of injury. He knew as well that two days later a 3pm meeting involving Edwards and Coutinho’s representatives had not gone well at all. Any owner of a well-run football club should also be informed and be able to imagine what might follow when a star player signs a new five year-contract – as Coutinho did in January – but proceeds to only agree a short-term lease on his home, especially when it has already been reported that Barcelona are interested in him.

Those that have dealt with Henry regularly know how he is capable of brain lapses, instances where he has appeared completely engrossed on a subject one moment and unreachable the next. Particularly relating to Liverpool matters, perhaps living on the other side of an ocean while running a business empire where Anfield forms only a part of his thoughts contributes towards the way he approaches things. Perhaps, indeed, this is why Segura found himself isolated very quickly from what seemed a position of promise.

Henry’s distance from Merseyside has not helped in the past because he has not been around to cast judgements for himself. He has instead relied on the opinions of his appointments, which have been bad ones too often – meaning that he has only acted when it has been too late, contributing towards a generally negative impression of his and Fenway’s intentions.

Having decided that Coutinho would stay, he could not afford to back down particularly when the transfer market did not map out exactly the way Liverpool or its febrile supporter base would have wanted in terms of incomings. Fenway have been determined to change Liverpool’s reputation and by not relenting to Coutinho’s wishes, for the time being at least, it sends a message to their own players as well as rivals that this is not a selling club.

Any other outcome would have been received as deception and from then on, it is hard to see how any of the messages coming out of Liverpool would ever be trusted again.

Summary:
      - This was a personal battle between Segura and Henry
      - Henry can elapse into his zone. I wish I could get what he is smoking.

My take:
      - I don't think Countinho will ever be sold to Barcelona as long as Segura stays there.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-couldnt-sell-philippe-coutinho-transfer-barcelona-pep-segura-john-w-henry-a7923351.html
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 734 posts | 113 
      Reply #2716: Sep 01, 2017 11:06:11 am
      The inside story of why Liverpool simply couldn't buckle and sell Philippe Coutinho to a man they used to know

Five years separates two stories involving the same characters; one prevalent in this country, the another not so well known. They are tales that go some way towards explaining why Barcelona were so forceful in their attempt to sign Philippe Coutinho but ultimately, why their attempt will prove not to be quite forceful enough.

It was in July 2012 when Pep Segura, then the technical manager at Liverpool’s academy, ended his three-year association at the club after previously being told by Liverpool’s owner, John W. Henry, he had earned a promotion.

Before Brendan Rodgers became Liverpool’s manager, Henry and Segura held a three-hour meeting and it was concluded that Segura would become Liverpool’s new sporting director, filling the administrative space left behind by Damien Comolli’s sacking a few months earlier.

Rodgers, though, had other ideas, insisting his own appointment would not involve another tier of management above him. For Segura – a decent man, and someone respected inside Liverpool particularly for his contribution towards the development of Raheem Sterling – there was reasonable embarrassment when he arrived at Melwood for the start of pre-season training only to find out then there would be no place for him in the new set-up.

Despite his efforts to contact Henry about his proposed fresh responsibilities, the line of communication had gone stone cold since Rodgers’s arrival. Though he expected that plans had changed, Segura was upset and angry that he had found out this way and so, on that July morning, rather than driving to the academy in Kirkby as he had been told to by Rodgers, he resigned on the spot – though the announcement of his departure was made a month later.

Those who knew Segura best from his time at Liverpool describe him as a professional and so, his hurt was understandable considering he had been treated without the necessary level of respect. Sources in Catalonia, meanwhile, say Segura has a long memory. Now Barcelona’s general manager having returned to the club where he built his coaching reputation, and as the person overseeing player recruitment, it is told he has viewed the signing of Coutinho as a personal mission.

While Coutinho is seen as a long-term successor for the fading AndrĂ©s Iniesta, the whiplash of his own departure from Liverpool still stings and it is said he would like nothing better than to expose Fenway Sports Group’s collective stance over Coutinho’s future as total mush.

It was a small but significant detail when Fenway released a “definitive” statement earlier this month, outlining that Coutinho would not be sold, this was not a statement released by Liverpool FC but by its ownership group, a statement, indeed, that was not signed off by any person in particular as they often are when something important is announced

Hour-by-hour, day-to-day, week-to-week, Henry does not have much involvement in the decision-making processes at the club and instead, key issues are dealt with by JĂŒrgen Klopp, Michael Edwards, Liverpool’s sporting director, and Mike Gordon, Fenway’s president.

Henry only intervenes when he really needs to and this was one of his calls. Before Coutinho had submitted his transfer request, Henry knew that his scan, taken on Tuesday August 8, for mysterious back strain had returned without obvious signs of injury. He knew as well that two days later a 3pm meeting involving Edwards and Coutinho’s representatives had not gone well at all. Any owner of a well-run football club should also be informed and be able to imagine what might follow when a star player signs a new five year-contract – as Coutinho did in January – but proceeds to only agree a short-term lease on his home, especially when it has already been reported that Barcelona are interested in him.

Those that have dealt with Henry regularly know how he is capable of brain lapses, instances where he has appeared completely engrossed on a subject one moment and unreachable the next. Particularly relating to Liverpool matters, perhaps living on the other side of an ocean while running a business empire where Anfield forms only a part of his thoughts contributes towards the way he approaches things. Perhaps, indeed, this is why Segura found himself isolated very quickly from what seemed a position of promise.

Henry’s distance from Merseyside has not helped in the past because he has not been around to cast judgements for himself. He has instead relied on the opinions of his appointments, which have been bad ones too often – meaning that he has only acted when it has been too late, contributing towards a generally negative impression of his and Fenway’s intentions.

Having decided that Coutinho would stay, he could not afford to back down particularly when the transfer market did not map out exactly the way Liverpool or its febrile supporter base would have wanted in terms of incomings. Fenway have been determined to change Liverpool’s reputation and by not relenting to Coutinho’s wishes, for the time being at least, it sends a message to their own players as well as rivals that this is not a selling club.

Any other outcome would have been received as deception and from then on, it is hard to see how any of the messages coming out of Liverpool would ever be trusted again.

Summary:
      - This was a personal battle between Segura and Henry
      - Henry can elapse into his zone. I wish I could get what he is smoking.

My take:
      - I don't think Countinho will ever be sold to Barcelona as long as Segura stays there.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-couldnt-sell-philippe-coutinho-transfer-barcelona-pep-segura-john-w-henry-a7923351.html

I read that just now too ... I think it's highly unlikely a businessman like John Henry would turn down a nine-figure sum because of a personal squabble with someone most of us have never heard of that took place years ago.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #2717: Sep 01, 2017 11:34:20 am
      I read that just now too ... I think it's highly unlikely a businessman like John Henry would turn down a nine-figure sum because of a personal squabble with someone most of us have never heard of that took place years ago.

Yet more smoke and mirrors, what is somewhat alarming in that summary is the apparent acceptance of JWH's detatchment from major issues within LFC.
      That scenario has been muted on this very forum but it's veracity is confirmed as time goes on with the 'make it up as you go along' decision making.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2718: Sep 01, 2017 11:37:48 am
      Got a bit emotional on scoring. Ah, the wee petal.
      His back injury, illness and anxiety aside, was a tidy finish, hoping to see plenty more of the same in a red shirt this season.

Don't think people will forget this summer completely, but guarantee that if he gets back in good form, playing well and chipping in with some goals, it will be a distant memory.

If I was Phil I'd make a statement. ASAP. Not to say anything leaves a lot of sh*t hanging out there. Just come out and clear the air, be honest that your head was turned bla bla bla, but that you now want to put it behind you and do your very best for the manager, teammates and fans at LFC.
      It's what people want to hear, so just come out and say it!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #2719: Sep 01, 2017 11:51:07 am

Think he snapped a tear duct. 4 weeks out that.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2720: Sep 01, 2017 11:59:54 am
      Got a bit emotional on scoring. Ah, the wee petal.
      His back injury, illness and anxiety aside, was a tidy finish, hoping to see plenty more of the same in a red shirt this season.

Don't think people will forget this summer completely, but guarantee that if he gets back in good form, playing well and chipping in with some goals, it will be a distant memory.

If I was Phil I'd make a statement. ASAP. Not to say anything leaves a lot of sh*t hanging out there. Just come out and clear the air, be honest that your head was turned bla bla bla, but that you now want to put it behind you and do your very best for the manager, teammates and fans at LFC.
      It's what people want to hear, so just come out and say it!

Not fussed to be honest.

Would prefer he did his talking or apologies, whatever you want to call it, on the pitch.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2721: Sep 01, 2017 12:48:27 pm
      Obviously I not happy about the way he's handled this situation, but the lad has given us 5 good years, added I've no doubt he'll give us his best this season too.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2722: Sep 01, 2017 12:51:50 pm
      You know what I was thinking, whether Coutinho's transfer request and our stance in not selling him may have had some kind of influence on Southampton not selling VVD? Could they have considered selling him until the Coutinho fiasco and then thought F**k it, if Liverpool ain't gonna sell, why should we.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2723: Sep 01, 2017 12:52:50 pm
      Get him back into the team, tell him to work his bollocks off and then next summer if he still wants to leave he can.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2724: Sep 01, 2017 12:54:48 pm
      Get him back into the team, tell him to work his bollocks off and then next summer if he still wants to leave he can.

Doesn't get in straight away, think the front 3 looks better without him and the midfield 2 in front of Hendo has played well enough the last 3 or 4 games that he waits for his chance

Work hard, head down..

Bench for me
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2725: Sep 01, 2017 12:55:57 pm
      You know what I was thinking, whether Coutinho's transfer request and our stance in not selling him may have had some kind of influence on Southampton not selling VVD? Could they have considered selling him until the Coutinho fiasco and then thought f**k it, if Liverpool ain't gonna sell, why should we.

no the more I think of it the more I'm convinced that the Southampton stance was just a huge F**k you to VVD, no way you are leaving even if it means us missing out on a huge payday. What puzzles me is why the new owners didn't overrule it, but I guess they didn't want to rock the boat so soon after taking over but there will be questions asked, you can guarantee that. Somewhere in that Southampton hierarchy/board is the biggest c**t in football, well that's what VVD told me anyway ;-)
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #2726: Sep 01, 2017 12:56:19 pm
      Doesn't get in straight away, think the front 3 looks better without him and the midfield 2 in front of Hendo has played well enough the last 3 or 4 games that he waits for his chance

Work hard, head down..

Bench for me

Deffo bench him
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2727: Sep 01, 2017 12:58:04 pm

Work hard, head down..

Bench for me

Hmm, i think I'd drop Can in to Hendo's position and find some room for Coutinho, if we can get him fired up then he really is worldclass and has to be played. Just imagine all those attack vectors, opposition defenses would sh*t themselves just at the thought of it.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2728: Sep 01, 2017 12:59:56 pm
      Hmm, i think I'd drop Can in to Hendo's position and find some room for Coutinho, if we can get him fired up then he really is worldclass and has to be played. Just imagine all those attack vectors, opposition defenses would sh*t themselves just at the thought of it.

Klopp won't drop his skipper for someone who could have potentially ruined the season.

He needs to get his head down and work hard.

He doesn't deserve to walk straight back into the side. It's played well enough let alone anything else
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,567 posts | 730 
      Reply #2729: Sep 01, 2017 01:25:34 pm
      Should have sold him

Don't want a player in the team that doesnt want to play for us. Its toxic like Sanchez at arsenal. F**k this guy
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,334 posts | 6386 
      Reply #2730: Sep 01, 2017 01:42:30 pm
      Should have sold him

Don't want a player in the team that doesnt want to play for us. Its toxic like Sanchez at arsenal. F**k this guy

No use selling him...we couldn't spend the money we had. What the hell would we do with an extra 150?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2731: Sep 01, 2017 01:44:23 pm
      Should have sold him

Did you say the same about Suarez in his last season with us?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2732: Sep 01, 2017 01:45:57 pm
      No use selling him...we couldn't spend the money we had. What the hell would we do with an extra 150?

Oh F**k me will we have this broken record all the way until January now, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz

NEWSFLASH Southampton absolutely refused to sell and Klopp only had one target, ie not the owners fault in any way apart from hiring Klopp but I assume you aren't critical of that.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #2733: Sep 01, 2017 01:50:54 pm

If it was me I wouldn't play him until the League Cup game, but that's me and I think Klopp is above all that kind of pettiness.

I'd hope we don't get some kind of ridiculous LFCTV apology and interview - I'd rather he just got back on with it all on the pitch.  But you know that's the way its going to go.

Its toxic like Sanchez at arsenal.

I reckon Sanchez will get his head down and probably have a great season and be Arsenal's best player.  The whole world of football is fickle but these are ultimately professional athletes. 
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2734: Sep 01, 2017 01:57:18 pm

Could have used the money to buy Lemar ;)
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #2735: Sep 01, 2017 02:01:56 pm
      He's hardly a nailed on starter for Brazil is he and in world cup year it is well within his interest to get his head down and let his football do the talking.

Hope that's the case, and I think it might be considering they are all professionals, but it's not a brilliant thing to have hanging over the dressing room nonetheless.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #2736: Sep 01, 2017 02:19:33 pm
      If it was me I wouldn't play him until the League Cup game, but that's me and I think Klopp is above all that kind of pettiness.

Sakho disagrees. 

Coutinho is dead to me.  I'll cheer his contributions that help our club, but he gets no love moving forward. 

Quick Reply