Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 399005 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #2967: Oct 31, 2017 02:36:18 pm
      Of course he has, but he is not even near to the kind of player Gerrard or Luis were in terms of winning a game singlehandedly. Phil still needs the team to be playing fairly well to create the openings for him whereas Stevie and Luis could score goals out of nothing.

Coutinho could score goals out of no where (he has done this many times) whether he or the team are playing poor or not. The huge difference between Coutinho and Suarez/Gerrard is the consistency levels, but I wonder if that's down to a combination of tactics and the quality of players we have in midfield and defence.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #2968: Oct 31, 2017 03:25:09 pm
      I just don't know how much I trust Phil at this point to put the club first. When he scores and plays well I am happy, but I wouldn't say I truly root for him, not the way I do for the other 10 men that are on the pitch. I get that he wants to move to Barca, and I don't fault that desire either. However, I question his effort since being back. I question how he went about trying to get gone. I want to see LFC do what is best for the club, but there is a part of me that would love to see him gone because I know he doesn't love this club. Hopefully we can get £130M + for him and get a FEW players that would help our club. I really would love to get Draxler in the MF and VVD plus another CB. Perhaps a striker if we see it fit. In the end I want us to make Phil's exist a way to improve our club and take the next step forward. Building a good squad is the way to go IMO.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2969: Oct 31, 2017 04:13:06 pm
      I just don't know how much I trust Phil at this point to put the club first. When he scores and plays well I am happy, but I wouldn't say I truly root for him, not the way I do for the other 10 men that are on the pitch. I get that he wants to move to Barca, and I don't fault that desire either. However, I question his effort since being back. I question how he went about trying to get gone. I want to see LFC do what is best for the club, but there is a part of me that would love to see him gone because I know he doesn't love this club. Hopefully we can get £130M + for him and get a FEW players that would help our club. I really would love to get Draxler in the MF and VVD plus another CB. Perhaps a striker if we see it fit. In the end I want us to make Phil's exist a way to improve our club and take the next step forward. Building a good squad is the way to go IMO.

In total agreement with you. Don't know if you or others have noticed but he doesn't look happy playing for you anymore. He still plays with 100% commitment but that smile has gone. It's best for all parties concerned he goes. You can buy 1 or 2 very good players with that kind of money and then move on.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2970: Oct 31, 2017 04:29:09 pm
      Nope never changed a game for us  :lmao:

You want to watch a few more LFC games mate!

Where did I say he never changed a game for us? 
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #2971: Oct 31, 2017 07:08:18 pm

If offered £130 million rip their bloody hands off, for that amount we can buy some players which are much more important to our current team than Phil is, for starters a top notch goalie and central defender.

But the problem is that £130 million in today's market doesn't really get you that much does it? Sell Coutinho and then spend the cash on Van Dyke and Tomas Lemar (and the fee alone wouldn't even cover the cost of those two). So it's hardly a squad changing sale that transforms the fortunes of the team. It's one player out and two maybe three at a push players in.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2972: Oct 31, 2017 07:47:44 pm

But the problem is that £130 million in today's market doesn't really get you that much does it? Sell Coutinho and then spend the cash on Van Dyke and Tomas Lemar (and the fee alone wouldn't even cover the cost of those two). So it's hardly a squad changing sale that transforms the fortunes of the team. It's one player out and two maybe three at a push players in.

Bit confused, are you agreeing with me or not? Even if you 'only' get 2 top players for £130m surely that's better than 1 player who irrespective of how good they are wants to leave.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2973: Oct 31, 2017 10:44:41 pm
      Don't care what stats are thrown out, the guy is our best player imho.
      And though not 'measurable', I really like watching him play and will miss hugely if he goes.
      You might not rate him that highly but it's not for no reason that Barca (and PSG?) want him for >100mill.
      We'll get a wad of cash, just hope we use it wisely.

Don't want to be that selling club, but he obviously wants to go and we'll have to let him eventually - this season ain't going so well, so maybe club will feel not a bad time to move him on in January without to many objections and having to wait until next summer.
      Whether we actually sign someone in Jan am not so sure (just going on our record last summer when had money to spend). Don't want us prematurely ejaculating cash all over the place, but would give us a boost for the 2nd half of the season to get some new blood in (and gives a half season to bed in before next full season).
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2974: Oct 31, 2017 10:58:02 pm
      In total agreement with you. Don't know if you or others have noticed but he doesn't look happy playing for you anymore. He still plays with 100% commitment but that smile has gone. It's best for all parties concerned he goes. You can buy 1 or 2 very good players with that kind of money and then move on.

Our record of replacing our best talent isn't particularly encouraging, i find it bizarre that some people here rate him so little and are so easily prepared to sell him
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #2975: Nov 01, 2017 02:05:57 pm

I'm of the opinion that the smile will come back IF we went out and signed those very good players in January (or better still last summer would have been nice). I'm glad we said no to Barca, it was about time so kudos to FSG for that BUT it's all for nothing if the club don't spend the funds on players of a similar ability level to play alongside him.

Bit confused, are you agreeing with me or not? Even if you 'only' get 2 top players for £130m surely that's better than 1 player who irrespective of how good they are wants to leave.

I'm disagreeing with you. We should be buying those 2 top players to play alongside Coutinho rather than to replace him.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #2976: Nov 04, 2017 04:57:02 pm
      Our record of replacing our best talent isn't particularly encouraging, i find it bizarre that some people here rate him so little and are so easily prepared to sell him

The majority appreciate Coutinho for the flashes of brilliance he shows and game changing performances, it is indeed bizarre that anyone could underestimate his talent and his value to LFC.
      On the other hand if the lad wants away there's not much Jürgen or anyone else can do about it.

According to reports Barca, PSG and now Real Madrid could be in for the player.

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fc-barcelona/20171103/432544652366/coutinho-barca-liverpool-barcelona.html
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #2977: Nov 05, 2017 12:28:38 am
      Real Madrid are ready to compete with Barcelona to sign Liverpool and Brazil midfielder Philippe Coutinho, 25

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fc-barcelona/20171103/432544652366/coutinho-barca-liverpool-barcelona.html

If the rumors are true that's Real, Barca and PSG coming in for Coutinho we could score in excess of £150 m for him  ;D
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #2978: Nov 05, 2017 12:29:55 am
      The majority appreciate Coutinho for the flashes of brilliance he shows and game changing performances, it is indeed bizarre that anyone could underestimate his talent and his value to LFC.
      On the other hand if the lad wants away there's not much Jürgen or anyone else can do about it.

According to reports Barca, PSG and now Real Madrid could be in for the player.

As I posted I saw your post ;D... Beat me to it again  :f_wah:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #2979: Nov 05, 2017 07:06:46 am
      As I posted I saw your post ;D... Beat me to it again  :f_wah:

Haha, it is only a Spanish link and might be a bag of sh*te but the rumblings of a bidding war are there mate.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #2980: Nov 06, 2017 09:14:19 pm
      Real Madrid are ready to compete with Barcelona to sign Liverpool and Brazil midfielder Philippe Coutinho, 25

If the rumors are true that's Real, Barca and PSG coming in for Coutinho we could score in excess of £150 m for him  ;D

I have seen it reported that FSG have assured Klopp ALL of the money from Phil's departure will be at his disposal. I'll believe it when I see it, however, if that is true than this is great news. Drive that price up boys.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2981: Nov 10, 2017 07:25:54 pm
      https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/news/liverpools-philippe-coutinho-agrees-personal-terms-with-barcelona-ahead-of-new-%e2%82%ac120m-january-bid/ar-BBEMyS6

Unlike in the summer, no denials or comments to the media that this is not going to happen.
      So looks increasing likely it is.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2982: Nov 10, 2017 07:37:24 pm
      Gone girl
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2983: Nov 10, 2017 07:58:09 pm
      Goodbye Mr Chips ! :)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2984: Nov 10, 2017 08:03:23 pm

Deny what, a rehashed story from Sport. People. will believe anything negative, anything positive is dismissed as propaganda or lies. Coutinho won't leave in January
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2985: Nov 10, 2017 08:08:34 pm
      Deny what, a rehashed story from Sport. People. will believe anything negative, anything positive is dismissed as propaganda or lies. Coutinho won't leave in January

I fully expected him not to go in the summer.
      And he didn't.
      But really not so sure he won't leave in Jan.
      He hasn't played that often, he still wants to go, think people are suffering fatigue on the whole saga, Barca still want him - just think the conditions are more favourable.
      I'm up there with his biggest fans (cough), but am a bit weary of the whole thing at this stage.
      Would hate to see him go, F***ing Barca again, but you sometimes you have to accept defeat and try to make the best of it.
      Obviously he might stay - but imho, it's more likely he will go in Jan...
      Kopite78
      Reply #2986: Nov 10, 2017 08:15:32 pm
      The club dont do what they did in the summer to bend over and let him go in January

He is as good as gone but it will be next summer

Good ridence once it happens too
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #2987: Nov 10, 2017 09:21:05 pm
      Don't think he'll go in January, Barça will still have to pay a load of cash for him and won't be able to play him on CL so for them is not a really good piece of business as they won't find any difficulties to win the league.

Also for Liverpool is better to wait until the summer (and I have little doubt that he'll be gone then) since with the WC his price will increase and more teams probable will be interested in him.
      JackSparrow
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #2988: Nov 11, 2017 02:51:08 pm
      He won't go until summer because that is when Keita is coming, his replacement. Then we just need to fix our defence and goalkeeper.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2989: Nov 11, 2017 03:43:58 pm
      The club dont do what they did in the summer to bend over and let him go in January

He is as good as gone but it will be next summer

Good ridence once it happens too

You feel that strongly about his antics mate?

I have to say I've been disappointed myself, as I really did think he was better than that, but I'll support him (sometimes grudgingly) for as long as he's here.
      Then, as you say, "don't let the door hit you on the way out".

Quick Reply