Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 399123 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)
      Reply #3197: Jan 06, 2018 07:51:17 pm
      He didn't want to play for us, he was probably telling his teammates every day how he couldn't wait to get off. 

Lad stopped celebrating goals bar the odd one.  Was incredibly tedious.

Getting £142M for someone who could have effectively gone on strike seems the best solution for us which is all I care about really.

Had better results this season without him and reckon van Dijk can take over his free kicks.

He was a good player but he wasn't the messiah.  And his song was sh*t.  You get a good song if you're the bollocks.  ;)
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #3198: Jan 06, 2018 07:57:39 pm
      He was a good player but he wasn't the messiah.  And his song was sh*t.  You get a good song if you're the bollocks.  ;)
      Mo Salah! Mo Salah!
      Running down the wing.
      Salah lalalalalalalala
      The Egyptian King.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #3199: Jan 06, 2018 07:59:43 pm
      That's a classy statement from Klopp and I fully agree with it.

He came in the Winter Window and left in the Winter Window.

Now we move on to deal with matters on the pitch.

At least the "fab 4" nonsense is finished.  ;)
      Kopite78
      Reply #3200: Jan 06, 2018 08:01:18 pm
      I'm too old to get upset by players moving, I didn't think it would happen mid season cause that just struck me as mad like, but I was wrong there.

Honestly can't say I'm arsed he's gone though from a personal perspective because I lost every ounce of respect for him in August for what how he went about it, to do that again I get why say Klopp had enough.
      It leaves a hole in the squad though that needs filling for us as a squad to carry on.. I fully trust Klopp to not let it affect the players move forward but I'll be furious if we don't bring someone in. The money is there, we all know it, the average spend per window since Klopp has been here is something like 7m now so we have bundles of the F***ing stuff

Pressures on to replace

Over to you to do so. Clocks ticking, don't leave it too late, get on it

F**k Phil though, literally not arsed by the c**t
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #3201: Jan 06, 2018 08:02:26 pm
      He didn't want to play for us, he was probably telling his teammates every day how he couldn't wait to get off. 

Getting £142M for someone who could have effectively gone on strike seems the best solution for us which is all I care about really.

Had better results this season without him and reckon van Dijk can take over his free kicks.

Can he take his place in midfield too ?

Otherwise we're left with the eternal boring Can Henderson Milner and a hope that Lallana gets back to his best.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3202: Jan 06, 2018 08:04:13 pm
      Get Lemar or Mahrez in.
      Don't let it go until the summer without reinforcing attacking midfield.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #3203: Jan 06, 2018 08:04:20 pm
      Either he was being as patronising to us as his employers are or he didn't think we'd sell.

Either way it's a load of sh*te.

But, I believe most of the blame should be on Kia Joorbaichan, Coutinhos agent and the player himself. To be fair to the money men and Klopp, when they say they did everything they could to retain Coutinho it may not just be a PR exercise. He was offered a new contract last year, made captain in spite of his antics during the summer and more recently offered an improved contract. You can't have this player throwing tantrums at every turn. He hardly acknowledged the fact that he was given the armband. While this comes at a major risk to the ambitions this season, at the end of the day, the club is definitely bigger than him.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #3204: Jan 06, 2018 08:11:19 pm
      I'm curious...

What's the status on his injury now?  ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3205: Jan 06, 2018 09:59:23 pm
      I'm curious...

What's the status on his injury now?  ;D

The magic sponge worked a treat..
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #3206: Jan 06, 2018 10:12:38 pm
      Thanks for the memories Philippe.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3207: Jan 06, 2018 10:50:41 pm
      Well this has been wrapped up for a good few days. Remember the Nike advert, it said free personalisation or something...until the 6th January. Coincidence? I think not.
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #3208: Jan 06, 2018 10:57:47 pm
      We signed a certain player from Celtic over 40 years ago ,their manager and fans did not want him to go but the player did.He became a club legend ,some things in football never change no player is bigger than the club.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3209: Jan 06, 2018 11:16:15 pm
      In this moment in time, Coutinho's (and his merry men) actions have been somewhat reprehensible what with the constant leaks to the press which have constantly been a thorn in our side the last 5/6 months. There are ways to leave the club in a dignified manner as Alonso showed in 2009 that can leave your status enshrined amongst us fans but at the end of the day that depends upon strength of character which Alonso had in abundance.

But overall you look at the realities and the longer history and such anger towards Phil streams away. He's been with us for 5 years. A long enough career and probably about the average lifespan of a foreign player's career at any one English club and indeed a level of service that would have satisfied many had we foreseen from his signing in 2013 that he would serve 5 years.

The real anger in him leaving probably stems in the complete failure of this club to win any trophy in that time period which amplifies a little voice that makes me want to scream that we deserved more from him. In all honesty that failure says more than enough about mismanagement higher up but it also sheds a (less significant) truth on the reality that while a superb player, Coutinho wasn't so superb to be a catalyst upon which silverware was won in the way Gerrard was or Suarez was (no one can doubt that if Luis had stayed at this club for a similar time period that we would have won a trophy or two in addition to the League Cup medal he had).

His missing in action displays in moments where we should have won silverware (notably the Europa League Final) probably displays this reality more than any other match during his time with us.

A nearly man albeit one who was surrounded by a glut of players who were of such poor quality to just be grateful playing with nearly men like Phil.

I think the real challenge now is how we replace him with someone similar who isn't just someone who can get us NEAR but someone who can get us THERE.
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2018 11:21:21 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3210: Jan 06, 2018 11:41:46 pm
      Hope the c**t who has the voodoo doll working on us, changes the shirt on the doll to a Barca one and those cu*ts don't win a thing for 30 years.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3211: Jan 06, 2018 11:48:17 pm
      I've already moved on....

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3212: Jan 06, 2018 11:55:40 pm

I almost think we should lock all threads about him and act like he was never here :D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3213: Jan 06, 2018 11:57:41 pm

On his way to the airport today, says a 1000 words really.

Love myself or Danny Agger to wipe that smug smile of the cu*ts' face.

F**k you c**t!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #3214: Jan 06, 2018 11:59:33 pm

Sorry to hear of your passing.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3215: Jan 07, 2018 12:05:30 am

Taking Arda Turan's no.7 shirt - though Arda not left the club yet - classy. Make sure not to wash it for him Arda !
      Though he might not need it, he does have a niggly thigh injury after all.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #3216: Jan 07, 2018 12:19:06 am
      I'm glad all this is over, now Klopp can get on with the job without that sh*t popping up. It's all a distraction the club can do without. Anyway he was a fine player that we will replace i have no doubt. I didn't think we'd find a replacement for Suarez but we have done with Salah, it took some time but with Klopp in charge i think he will find a replacement almost straight away.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3217: Jan 07, 2018 12:20:27 am
      I almost think we should lock all threads about him and act like he was never here :D

If you were cold and calculating we never won anything with this so called genius and I can remember many games where he went missing when as a top player he was needed.

Not exactly a Gerrard was he.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3218: Jan 07, 2018 12:51:00 am

More or less sums up my thoughts, besides calling him a c**t really :D

I had worried about his lack of celebrations, it was a far cry from the passion he'd shown in previous years. That celebration against City in 2014 was OUR Coutinho - the little jump and not smiling fist pumps of this season was already Barcelona's Coutinho. Say what you want about him still performing, he's certainly talented enough to be able to mail it in and still look good. Imagine if he'd actually been putting in 100% for us, we maybe would have won a few more? Who knows. There's certainly plenty of times I can remember a frustrating result and wishing he'd stamped his talented authority a bit more over the years. Maybe he'll do that for Barca, but he certainly wasn't a week in, week out performer here. Salah is already a far better week to week player for us, and Mane's time off last year also seemed to be a significant team barometer.

NOW I know that sounds like someone trying to okay themselves with the deal - it might be :D - but I seriously think his role in the squad can be covered with the right recruitment and adjustments to the overall plan. Certainly his magic can't - Coutinho does have that little bit of something that makes him one of those individuals that has their "thing" and theirs alone. But if we do the right thing with the money, and do the right thing with what we have already, then the loss will not be felt near as much as the likes of Alonso leaving, or Suarez.

If the lad can be a part of a side playing as well as us, with the dynamic playmakers we have, and still wanna be off to Barca - then the semantics of the "perfect time" for him to leave is stupidity really. I agree, now is a sh*t time - but then everyone was shitting themselves with him leaving prior to the season starting, and we bought a few months to try and convince him. Even if he'd half arsed his way through the rest of the season, he would still be in the Brazil squad for the WC. Those trying to say we could have kept him and had he downed tools he'd threaten his spot - that's BS. Brazil would have known the score, he'd have picked right back up for them no worries.

Everyone who is bitching seems to want the old days back - what would have happened to a player pulling this sh*t under Shanks, Bob, etc? They'd be in the ressies until the first opportunity to bin them came. We gave the lad a chance for a couple more months, and then he got binned. For quality money.

Move on, get the next one in, restructure however needed in the meantime. We'll be alright.

And the lad is a F***ing loco son of a bi*ch. c**t. Bite me FA.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3219: Jan 07, 2018 12:53:29 am

Looks happier here than he has scoring any goal this year. F**k off.

Quick Reply