Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 401591 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)
      Reply #3289: Jan 08, 2018 12:02:52 pm
      Can you imagine the noise IF we had loaned him back and he was injured till Feb........?

:couch:

So Phil has already been ruled out of action for 3 weeks by his new club ..... so that 2 players with massive fees bought injured..Dembele & Coutinho...

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #3290: Jan 08, 2018 12:09:33 pm
      So Phil has already been ruled out of action for 3 weeks by his new club ..... so that 2 players with massive fees bought injured..Dembele & Coutinho...

Yep need to adjust their running style to the size of their new wallets......
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #3291: Jan 08, 2018 12:18:28 pm
      So Phil has already been ruled out of action for 3 weeks by his new club

I think that part of that may be to allow him to get settled in to be honest.

Anyway - deal done.

tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,280 posts | 235 
      Reply #3292: Jan 08, 2018 12:24:20 pm
      c**t
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #3293: Jan 08, 2018 12:37:47 pm
      Can someone please explain this business of Phil giving up £15m "of his own money" to make the deal go through?

I've seen that mentioned now in several articles, but none of them clearly state what that means.  Did he give up a loyalty bonus?  is he on lower wages at Barca?  The reports on the transfer say he "dipped into his own pocket," which seems like it's more than just leaving money on the table.  It makes it seem that somehow he took £15m out of his own bank account and gave it to someone.  But to whom?  the club?  did Barca not want to pay all of what we wanted upfront, so Phil chipped in?

If anyone could help explain this to me, it would be greatly appreciated.   xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

From what I've seen around he gave up an eventual sign on fee or small part of his salary but he'll get it back on his next contract renewal.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #3294: Jan 08, 2018 12:39:13 pm
      Are we not playing CL this season?? I distinctly remember finishing 4th last season but perhaps I was wrong. 
      Are we a top team at the moment? NO
      Are we growing and getting better and laying the foundation to once again be a top team, YES.

FFS I swear some of you guys need to go and get some anti-depressants, the negativity on here is bordering on the ridiculous now. We have just signed a top top CB who will massively improve our chances of getting top 4 this season and beyond. We have sold a luxury attacking player for an insane amount of money who whilst very good is in no way essential to our ability to score goals, hence the rather inconvenient stat that we actually win more without Couts than we do with him.

Overall we are right now, without another signing this window, a much stronger team.

You actually believe your own sh*t don't you  :laugh:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3295: Jan 08, 2018 12:48:18 pm
      You actually believe your own sh*t don't you  :laugh:

Here's an idea, try to debate with me rather than act like a child and throw petty insults, it only serves to demean you.

Oh and yes I do believe it, otherwise why would I post it??? If you disagree then please tell me why you think Coutinio is more important to the team than VVD, bearing in mind that our major weakness has been in defence rather than attack.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,974 posts | 237 
      Reply #3296: Jan 08, 2018 12:52:09 pm

I doubt if he is injured. It is not like Barca need him immediately anyway. Klopp said it was a minor injury and that he would be available for the City game. For all you know, a part of the  sham must have been to announce that Coutinho will be injured and sitting out for sometime.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3297: Jan 08, 2018 12:59:59 pm
      As much as I'm over Phil going two parts just eat away at me..

Firstly, why the player was so determined to leave in Jan & not see out the remainder of the season, missing out on playing in the CL which we are constantly reminded all players want to be in, exception being Phil...

Read that Lucas told Phil missing this seasons CL may help his & keep him fresher for the WC, don't know how much truth there is to it..

Secondly, why the club never told Barca to comeback in the summer, was it a case of it's now or never & the lure of the ££££'s too much to loose out on...?

I know the Boss has tried to keep Phil & blessed his departure but honestly just miffed how it all ended up being done..

What's hard about staying for 20 odd games till season ends..
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #3298: Jan 08, 2018 01:10:04 pm
      What surprises me it's too my knowledge he hasn't made any reference to the club or fans at Liverpool thanking them for all they have done in making him a 146 million player from 8/9 million. Bit of a rub down I think.  ???
      That's one of the things that has rankled me,for him not to acknowledge the club or the fans is beyond the pale for me,no F***ing scruples or morales some of these modern players.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,880 posts | 2695 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3299: Jan 08, 2018 01:10:43 pm
      Keith I really hope we get Barca in the CL, even if he isn't playing it would be so sweet to knock them out of it just to see the look on the little pr**k's face.
      Personally I think this is a move that he will come to regret, on his day he is superb, absolutely world class, but he goes missing in far to many games and has stretches of games where he produces next to nothing and that won't be tolerated by Barca fans the same as it was at Liverpool.

You have more than a valid point mate. I also agree Barca fans less forgiving than Liverpool fans. It's not often I support you lads in any matches but if you do meet those cu*ts in CL I will be Liverpool fan for the game.  ;D
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #3300: Jan 08, 2018 01:52:05 pm
      Here's an idea, try to debate with me rather than act like a child and throw petty insults, it only serves to demean you.

Oh and yes I do believe it, otherwise why would I post it??? If you disagree then please tell me why you think Coutinio is more important to the team than VVD, bearing in mind that our major weakness has been in defence rather than attack.

How about we let VVD play more than one game before calling him more important than the guy that was directly involved in more than a quarter of our goals this season.. but I guess we're entitled to our own opinions.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3301: Jan 08, 2018 02:18:13 pm
      How about we let VVD play more than one game before calling him more important than the guy that was directly involved in more than a quarter of our goals this season.. but I guess we're entitled to our own opinions.

Oh I agree we need more time to assess VVD, but it was one hell of a start and we do kind of know he is quality. Anyway you must agree that for us at this present moment in time strengthening the defence was more important than weakening the attack.
      BTW I am more than happy for people to have different opinions, why else would I be on a forum, but it pisses me off when people won't argue their point and instead just throw out childish insults so thanks for finally explaining your position, I disagree with it but I'm happy to accept and debate it.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #3302: Jan 08, 2018 04:43:08 pm
      The way he has gone about this move has been a disgrace.

Just had SSN on and he was asked what was it like leaving anfield?

He first answered quite difficult actually. So I thought he we go he is going to say how much he loved the city, the fans, the club etc.

But instead he says my plane journey was re arranged four times and when I finally landed in Barcelona that's when I realised it was actually happening!

Cheeky c**t.

Transfer request the day before the season opener, faking injuries, selfish F***ing c**t.

He knows full well he's left us in the sh*t and he could have seen this season out before moving. If so, I'm pretty sure he would have left on great terms with us all but now it's sour and I have the attitude of F**k him.

When his career is coming to an end or if for some reason he flops then he can F**k off if he thinks he's coming back here.

Give us Barcelona in the cup right now.
      Kopite78
      Reply #3303: Jan 08, 2018 04:49:32 pm
      The way he has gone about this move has been a disgrace.

Just had SSN on and he was asked what was it like leaving anfield?

He first answered quite difficult actually. So I thought he we go he is going to say how much he loved the city, the fans, the club etc.

But instead he says my plane journey was re arranged four times and when I finally landed in Barcelona that's when I realised it was actually happening!

Cheeky c**t.

Transfer request the day before the season opener, faking injuries, selfish f**king c**t.

He knows full well he's left us in the sh*t and he could have seen this season out before moving. If so, I'm pretty sure he would have left on great terms with us all but now it's sour and I have the attitude of f**k him.

When his career is coming to an end or if for some reason he flops then he can f**k off if he thinks he's coming back here.

Give us Barcelona in the cup right now.

This is one of the main reasons I think it's been allowed to happen

He's like this now, can't even be contrite... so what's he been like behind the scenes this season? What's his team mates think?

We've seen him play without a smile on his face all season, hardly smiling when scoring goals.. looking a bit like a wet weekend

Yes he's contributed, but maybe selfishly? Don't get me wrong it's helped us win games but maybe Klopps just had enough of his attitude around the club
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #3304: Jan 08, 2018 05:02:47 pm

He's like this now, can't even be contrite... so what's he been like behind the scenes this season? What's his team mates think?

We've seen him play without a smile on his face all season, hardly smiling when scoring goals.. looking a bit like a wet weekend

Yes he's contributed, but maybe selfishly? Don't get me wrong it's helped us win games but maybe Klopps just had enough of his attitude around the club

I'll never agree with the timing of the sale and I think the club or possibly klopp are piss poor in that respect.

But I also don't agree with having a player who doesn't want to be here and is potentially causing problems in the dressing room. He had to go for everybody's sake.

The timing of it stinks though. Whether it's FSG who want to balance the books after signing VVD (which is what I personally believe) or whether it's klopp who has taken coutinhos desire to leave as a personal insult and wants him out asap. Neither help liverpool on the pitch and that's the only thing that matters.

I've counted at least three current liverpool players (one being our current captain) who have posted a good luck message to him on social media, and one ex player too, which suggests he was a popular figure.

I know what you mean. He hasn't been as passionate this season I agree. But his performances haven't declined and if anything he has gotten better.

I think if he we had kept him he might have sulked a bit to begin with but he would have remained professional. I think he was professional this season. He has played well.

Hopefully the club and klopp have a few plans up their sleeve and a player or two will arrive this window because I'm not convinced we are strong enough without coutinho.

I'm annoyed with everybody involved in this deal.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #3305: Jan 08, 2018 05:03:03 pm

Excellent point.  In general agreement with all of that. 

Done deal - don't wish him any ill will in the future.  I don't keep up on a regular basis with Suarez's exploits and he was a far bigger player to lose so I can't see me following Coutinho's career in much detail from here on in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,232 posts | 6359 
      Reply #3306: Jan 08, 2018 05:07:09 pm

I've counted at least three current liverpool players (one being our current captain) who have posted a good luck message to him on social media, and one ex player too, which suggests he was a popular figure.

Or it speaks more to their character than his?

Last guy we had to let go at my company because he was a waste of space....I wished him well ;)
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #3307: Jan 08, 2018 05:19:20 pm
      Or it speaks more to their character than his?

Last guy we had to let go at my company because he was a waste of space....I wished him well ;)

Can't remember many wishing diouf well  :lmao:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3308: Jan 08, 2018 05:22:15 pm
      I'll never agree with the timing of the sale and I think the club or possibly klopp are piss poor in that respect.

But I also don't agree with having a player who doesn't want to be here and is potentially causing problems in the dressing room. He had to go for everybody's sake.

The timing of it stinks though. Whether it's FSG who want to balance the books after signing VVD (which is what I personally believe) or whether it's klopp who has taken coutinhos desire to leave as a personal insult and wants him out asap. Neither help liverpool on the pitch and that's the only thing that matters.

I know what you mean. He hasn't been as passionate this season I agree. But his performances haven't declined and if anything he has gotten better.

I think if he we had kept him he might have sulked a bit to begin with but he would have remained professional. I think he was professional this season. He has played well.

Hopefully the club and klopp have a few plans up their sleeve and a player or two will arrive this window because I'm not convinced we are strong enough without coutinho.

I'm annoyed with everybody involved in this deal.

Wow I think this post wins the award for contradicting yourself within the same post, congrats! :-)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,232 posts | 6359 
      Reply #3309: Jan 08, 2018 05:26:49 pm
      Can't remember many wishing diouf well  :lmao:

Point. taken. :)
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #3310: Jan 08, 2018 05:38:02 pm
      Looking at all the smiling pictures of him on his way to Barshitlona and being presented, make me feel sick to my stomach. Tores was my first and greatest loss as a fan of almost 20 years of our great club. After that, Alonso's leaving left me confused, Suarez's departure was disappointing and for this one, I just feel disgusted.

Well Phill, time will tell if you'll make history there or you just had pretty high expectations.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #3311: Jan 08, 2018 05:39:22 pm
      Wow I think this post wins the award for contradicting yourself within the same post, congrats! :-)

It's not hard to understand if you read it instead of instantly quoting anything I say these days just to argue with me, following me around on the forum like a weirdo.

To summarise just for you:

I would have kept coutinho until the end of the season. I don't care what money Barca offered and I don't give a F**k what the player wanted either. Whoevers decision it was to let him go now was a poor one whether it was FSG or Klopp. My opinion is it is FSG due to their long history of sell to buy and with VVD coming for a record fee only a week ago.

That said, i don't want any player here who doesn't want to be here and the way he has gone about his move has been an absolute disgrace. He'd have been on the first flight out of liverpool once the season finished if I had my way.

I'm fuming with coutinho, fuming with FSG and im fuming with Jürgen.

That cleared anything up for you?

Quick Reply