Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 402508 times
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,350 posts | 1627 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)
      Reply #3841: Sep 07, 2023 05:52:04 pm
      I think Salah would have been the jewel if they got him , but I’m struggling to think of a top class player they’ve got in his prime , there may be one but I suppose everyone has their own version of top class .
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3842: Sep 08, 2023 03:27:54 am
      Feels like the Arabs only want current or ex Liverpool players.

They don't seem to be going after any one else except for someone who has or has had Liverpool Red, running thru their veins!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 764 
      Reply #3843: Sep 08, 2023 06:53:35 am

They don't seem to be going after any one else except for someone who has or has had Liverpool Red, running thru their veins!

Must be a lot of Reds fans amongst the Arabs, wanting to sign so many of our players !
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,977 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3844: Sep 08, 2023 07:51:22 am

The Arabs or SG? Do you think he would make a good game keeper  :f_whistle:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #3845: Sep 08, 2023 01:44:34 pm

What did Souness achieve after he left the Reds for Sampdoria?

Same goes for Keegan!!

Mcmanaman and Suarez are the two obvious ones to achieve bigger success away from Liverpool.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #3846: Sep 08, 2023 02:04:43 pm
      Idea for a thread, how many players have went on to be successful after leaving the mighty reds ?

Not many id wager.

It really does depend on what you consider "success" because I'd say very few genuine first team players went on to be more successful as an individual compared to what they were at Anfield.

Even McManaman, who is often considered one of the few who was successful upon leaving, started less than half of his La Liga appearances (60 out of 124). Compare that to 232 starts out of 243 Premier League starts at Liverpool. He also played fewer games for England after leaving.

Yeah, fair enough he won a lot more medals after leaving the club and will obviously be rememered for scoring in a European Cup final. But as an individual I don't know if he was any better in Spain to what he was here - even if he likes to talk like he's one of their all-time greats and can't praise the club enough compared to how much he belittles us.

Whereas there will be a lot others who never quite made the grade here had more successful individual careers elsewhere but might not have the medals to prove it though. Take big Oggy in goal for example, he played just 5 games for us yet has two European Cup winners medals in his collection. But upon leaving, he has just one FA Cup winners medal yet he still holds the record for the most appearances for Coventry. Conor Coady is another who didn't get the chance here but upon leaving and working his way back up to the top division, ends up captaining a Premier League side and earning a few England caps.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3847: Sep 08, 2023 02:16:54 pm
      It really does depend on what you consider "success" because I'd say very few genuine first team players went on to be more successful as an individual compared to what they were at Anfield.

Even McManaman, who is often considered one of the few who was successful upon leaving, started less than half of his La Liga appearances (60 out of 124). Compare that to 232 starts out of 243 Premier League starts at Liverpool. He also played fewer games for England after leaving.

Yeah, fair enough he won a lot more medals after leaving the club and will obviously be rememered for scoring in a European Cup final. But as an individual I don't know if he was any better in Spain to what he was here - even if he likes to talk like he's one of their all-time greats and can't praise the club enough compared to how much he belittles us.

Whereas there will be a lot others who never quite made the grade here had more successful individual careers elsewhere but might not have the medals to prove it though. Take big Oggy in goal for example, he played just 5 games for us yet has two European Cup winners medals in his collection. But upon leaving, he has just one FA Cup winners medal yet he still holds the record for the most appearances for Coventry. Conor Coady is another who didn't get the chance here but upon leaving and working his way back up to the top division, ends up captaining a Premier League side and earning a few England caps.

yup, defo different ways of gauging success.

coady is a perfect example, hes not went on to bigger or better than LFC, but he has been successful in his own right.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3848: Sep 08, 2023 02:18:05 pm

Same goes for Keegan!!

Mcmanaman and Suarez are the two obvious ones to achieve bigger success away from Liverpool.

Souness was good at sampdoria then he was very successful and the rangers, player/manager.

Cant remember if he won owt at sampdoria ?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #3849: Sep 08, 2023 02:30:49 pm

Same goes for Keegan!!

Think Keegan won the league with Hamburg and also two European Footballer of the Year awards

Souness just won a cup

Neither were more successful after they left
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,350 posts | 1627 
      Reply #3850: Sep 08, 2023 04:24:13 pm

Same goes for Keegan!!

Actually thought he was there longer but still he won a trophy in his first season with the club winning it for the first time , his goal being the only one in the first leg ,
      As for Keegan well he went on to help Hamburg win their first title In 19 years also picking up the European player of the year two years on the tamp , so yes he did far better than a lot of other reds who have quit the club , and I never said they were more successful only that they were successful , which they were .
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #3851: Sep 08, 2023 06:26:33 pm
      Actually thought he was there longer but still he won a trophy in his first season with the club winning it for the first time , his goal being the only one in the first leg ,
      As for Keegan well he went on to help Hamburg win their first title In 19 years also picking up the European player of the year two years on the tamp , so yes he did far better than a lot of other reds who have quit the club , and I never said they were more successful only that they were successful , which they were .

Yeah, but everything after Liverpool is just a mostly downward trajectory ;)
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,350 posts | 1627 
      Reply #3852: Sep 08, 2023 07:37:51 pm
      Yeah, but everything after Liverpool is just a mostly downward trajectory ;)

Mostly it seems to be one things for sure a lot of players miss the songs and the adulation anfield gives them , Mane is one prime example , Torres another , Suarez is the prime exception I think but then again he was world class .
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #3853: Sep 08, 2023 08:17:20 pm
      Mostly it seems to be one things for sure a lot of players miss the songs and the adulation anfield gives them , Mane is one prime example , Torres another , Suarez is the prime exception I think but then again he was world class .

Coutinho, Mane and Torres were world class players. Suarez was a thug and a selfish racist c*nt only interested in himself. Great day it was when he bit another player and left.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,350 posts | 1627 
      Reply #3854: Sep 08, 2023 08:24:32 pm
      Coutinho, Mane and Torres were world class players. Suarez was a thug and a selfish racist c*nt only interested in himself. Great day it was when he bit another player and left.
      Was a world class player what you think of him is upto you ,
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #3855: Sep 08, 2023 09:18:20 pm
      Was a world class player what you think of him is upto you ,

It is upto me. He had one good season ... after he went on strike and refused to play.

The only ex player I hate more is diouf. Suarez isn't a legend here ... just a c*nt and he confirmed it if it needed confirming with his antics against us and taking Robertson out ... horrible horrible c*nt, a racist and a thug who made a fool out of the king and shamed the club multiple times , went on strike and bit his way out. C*nt.

If thats a hero to you ... a legend ... that's upto you.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #3856: Sep 08, 2023 09:45:48 pm
      It is upto me. He had one good season ... after he went on strike and refused to play.

The only ex player I hate more is diouf. Suarez isn't a legend here ... just a c*nt and he confirmed it if it needed confirming with his antics against us and taking Robertson out ... horrible horrible c*nt, a racist and a thug who made a fool out of the king and shamed the club multiple times , went on strike and bit his way out. C*nt.

Suarez was world class when we left us and then became a top 3 player in the world behind only Messi and Ronaldo after leaving us. Him being a c**t doesn't change that. The level he was at before leaving was clear of both Coutinho and Torres. In fact I don't think the former ever got close to that level.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,350 posts | 1627 
      Reply #3857: Sep 08, 2023 09:49:58 pm

Something fcking wrong with you fckin tit where the Fck did I say he’s my hero ,he was a world class player what you personally think of him is frankly fckin irrelevant, fckin grow the Fck up don’t try and force your fckin opinion on me don’t matter how many fckin times you repeat it .
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,268 posts | 760 
      Reply #3858: Sep 08, 2023 10:33:55 pm
      Coutinho was always technically gifted but once he reached a certain level and he wanted out of LFC his game just plateaued. The fee paid for him went to his head and he got lazy. Soon as his game dipped he went back to his default move...cutting in just outside the box and curling it into the top bin....problem is, very soon that's all he could do and that's never going to cut it...especially on the wages he's been on.
      He became a one trick pony.... the very definition of a luxury player.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #3859: Sep 08, 2023 10:40:36 pm
      Idea for a thread, how many players have went on to be successful after leaving the mighty reds ?

Not many id wager.

A few have been very successful at the highest level after leaving (Mascherano another I'd add) but there are far fewer who we have willingly disposed of that went on to have stellar careers. Where we used to f*ck up a lot more is signing too much dross. The list of numpties brought in under previous regimes and managers is long. Not nearly as many recently (which is why it can be frustrating when we don't invest, given our success rate). That's definitely a sign of progress and where credit is due it should be given.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3860: Sep 09, 2023 12:40:03 am
      The Arabs or SG? Do you think he would make a good game keeper  :f_whistle:

the first part of your question is the Arabs

the second bit I have no idea what the F**k you on about dopey!  :lmao:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,977 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3861: Sep 09, 2023 07:11:48 am
      the first part of your question is the Arabs

the second bit I have no idea what the F**k you on about dopey!  :lmao:

Over your head 😂 He’s poaching your ex/players.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #3862: Sep 09, 2023 02:18:30 pm
      Over your head 😂 He’s poaching your ex/players.

Must of been good players then obviously.

Couple of those lads put about 16 goals past your shower of sh*te team over about three games :laugh:

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,977 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3863: Sep 09, 2023 06:45:52 pm
      Must of been good players then obviously.

Couple of those lads put about 16 goals past your shower of sh*te team over about three games :laugh:

You’d expect so in that type of league. Even Hendo could score a hatrick 😂

Quick Reply