Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 410025 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,929 posts | 824 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #989: Mar 02, 2014 06:42:29 pm
      Think it could be the case that he maybe tries to hard when creating something, at least that's an impression I get because he always looks so frustrated with himself whenever he gives the ball away. He's young and has already had some great moments with us, just needs to realise just how good he is and that he has the potential to become World Class.

When his had moments of magic it seems he naturally pulls of the pass or turn, however recently it does seem he is forcing the pass or move a bit too much. He just needs to relax a little more and just let his quality shine.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #990: Mar 02, 2014 09:04:57 pm
      Think Yesterday he wasn't helped that much by lumping the ball up in the first half, he's never going to win any aerial duels and players like Coutinho need a good few passes to get in their groove, we were by passing midfield yesterday which didn't allow him to get him into any kind of passing rhythm, yes he misplaced a few passes yesterday and didn't look on his game, but as we've all seen, he's a much better player when were playing fluid pass and move football.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #991: Mar 02, 2014 10:08:50 pm
      You can f**k right off calling Skrtel an idiot.

Embarrassing from a fan to be referring to one of our loyal servants and top performers this year as an idiot.

Top performer  :lmao: only in scoring own goals buddy.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #992: Mar 03, 2014 02:12:47 pm
      Top performer  :lmao: only in scoring own goals buddy.

Skrtel has been great most of the time this season. He had some great off-days too, where he has been poor but he is one of our best performers. Show some respect for this player who has been here for several years now!

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/10/martin-skrtels-rejuvenation-epitomises-how-brendan-rodgers-has-improved-liverpool-4297974/

Check this link, do you have the memory of a goldfish?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #993: Mar 03, 2014 03:10:12 pm
      It seems young Phils form has gone off the boil since Brendan made the comments about talking to "Big Phil" about the possibility of him being called up for Brazil.

He possibly is trying too hard to impress but he's still very young, something we all seem to forget, and as such he will have dips in form and consistency.  The difference with Cou is he's already made an impression on the league so when he plays they need to plan how they'll contain him.  That means one less player to deal with the threats of Luis, Studge and Raheem  ;D

Another thing in his favour is that in Brendan he has probably the best manager/coach to help him through this rough time and come back even better. 

He's also probably knackered, physically and mentally, as he's played every game since he came back from injury and we've had some pretty intense games over the last few months.

He'll be fine, you'll see.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #994: Mar 03, 2014 03:23:20 pm
      We could do with bringing in somebody in his position sometime soon just so he doesn't feel the pressure to perform at a 10/10 level every game. He's a young lad and it seems unfair to place such responsibility onto young shoulders. Rotation is key for a lad of his age too. With other areas being of greater importance in the summer though I think CAM could be low on the list.

Brendan just needs to have a word in his ear every now and again, put an arm round him and just tell him to calm down, don't force anything and keep doing the simple stuff right. Can't wait for him to mature into a consistent top quality player.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #995: Mar 03, 2014 04:53:40 pm
      Skrtel has been great most of the time this season. He had some great off-days too, where he has been poor but he is one of our best performers. Show some respect for this player who has been here for several years now!

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/10/martin-skrtels-rejuvenation-epitomises-how-brendan-rodgers-has-improved-liverpool-4297974/

Check this link, do you have the memory of a goldfish?

He has had some great days when he has been poor but still one of our best performers?
      Make up your mind!

I'm afraid that would suggest he has been indifferent.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #996: Mar 03, 2014 04:55:29 pm
      Any way this is the Coutinho thread so no more from me
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #997: Mar 03, 2014 04:56:12 pm
      He has had some great days when he has been poor but still one of our best performers?
      Make up your mind!

I'm afraid that would suggest he has been indifferent.

Nah he has been one of our best performers in defense this season. But lets keep this on topic, eh?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #998: Mar 27, 2014 09:56:25 am
      Can someone perhaps put up a video of the wee man's performance against Sunderland, some of the things he was doing were incredible.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #999: Mar 27, 2014 10:00:21 am
      Agreed. He got my MOTM vote.

Just wish he'd find his shooting boots again.

Does anyone else think he's more of a Home player than Away player, if you get my gist?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #1000: Mar 27, 2014 12:11:20 pm
      My MOTM last night and some of his running with the ball was breathtaking at times.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1001: Mar 27, 2014 01:26:07 pm
      Just needs to add goals then we have 1 serious player
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #1002: Mar 27, 2014 06:51:29 pm
      One day he'll just change his thought process on finishing and then we'll have an absolute wizzard on our hands!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1003: Mar 27, 2014 07:26:28 pm
      My MOTM last night and some of his running with the ball was breathtaking at times.

It's those quick feet of his, and he's getting stronger all the time as well.

As he matures, I think we'll also see him become a lot more consistent.

My MOTM as well, and great to see him in such fine form.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #1004: Mar 27, 2014 09:37:52 pm
      I thought he was excellent last night. I went into work this morning and a few of the lads who don't support liverpool said straight away... "that Coutinho is a proper player, love watching him"

Ball was stuck to his feet last night
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1005: Mar 27, 2014 09:39:27 pm
      It's those quick feet of his, and he's getting stronger all the time as well.

As he matures, I think we'll also see him become a lot more consistent.

My MOTM as well, and great to see him in such fine form.

Was a close call for me between him and Gerrard, either were fair choices in my opinion.

I would say if this lad just conceded that he's crap at shooting from outside the box and just passed the ball he would be one of the absolute best in the business. The way he can receive the ball and get out of tight spaces, thread tight passes that others wouldn't dare is a joy to watch and the less he tries to force the shots I guarantee the more he'll score.

He'll end up getting better chances, more clear chances than trying to score from barely half chances which just isn't part of his make up and really frustrates me when I see it.

He's pure quality and just needs coaching to realise where his talents lie because when he's on his game he's unplayable.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #1006: Mar 27, 2014 09:45:04 pm
      Was a close call for me between him and Gerrard, either were fair choices in my opinion.

I would say if this lad just conceded that he's crap at shooting from outside the box and just passed the ball he would be one of the absolute best in the business. The way he can receive the ball and get out of tight spaces, thread tight passes that others wouldn't dare is a joy to watch and the less he tries to force the shots I guarantee the more he'll score.

He'll end up getting better chances, more clear chances than trying to score from barely half chances which just isn't part of his make up and really frustrates me when I see it.

He's pure quality and just needs coaching to realise where his talents lie because when he's on his game he's unplayable.

I think he can score more goals. I hope he does work on it, because as you say, his shooting is like a mad woman's piss right now

He's a lovely player to watch
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1007: Mar 27, 2014 10:45:23 pm
      Can someone perhaps put up a video of the wee man's performance against Sunderland, some of the things he was doing were incredible.

PC
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1008: Mar 28, 2014 12:29:56 pm

He looks a bit anxious to me when he shoots, and keeps snatching at his shots like not scoring is playing on his mind a bit.

I really do expect him to get better though, and to be fair it's the only real weakness in his game when he's on top form.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #1009: Mar 28, 2014 08:27:23 pm
      He looks a bit anxious to me when he shoots, and keeps snatching at his shots like not scoring is playing on his mind a bit.

I really do expect him to get better though, and to be fair it's the only real weakness in his game when he's on top form.

He was spectacular against Sunderland, but I wish he'd stop trying so hard to score.  I think Coutinho is very similar to players like Pablo Aimar, Rui Costa, or David Silva.  These are players who can control the game with their movement (always seem to be able to find little pockets of space), passing, dribbling, and vision.  When they do score it is a nice bonus, but it is not what makes them great players.  If he would focus more on just helping us to keep the ball and create opportunities for his teammates then as a byproduct chances will come his way and he will be more likely to finish them because it will be more instinctive. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #1010: Mar 28, 2014 08:31:22 pm
      He was spectacular against Sunderland, but I wish he'd stop trying so hard to score.

To me it looks like it's playing on his mind a little and either he's putting pressure on himself to score or Brendan has indicated he'd like to see a few goals from him.

I don't think Brendan will have put any pressure on him but it does look like Phil feels a bit of pressure to contribute to the score sheet.

king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #1011: Mar 29, 2014 03:36:23 am
      In my opinion and it is not based of any facts.  That his persistence to immediately add goals to his games when it is not clearly working is down to the fact that it is one area of his game that is missing and will make him fall short of being picked for the national team.   I think he needs to take that out of his mind and continue to work on his ability to produce attacks for the world class attack in front of him.  We are at a very important part of the season and he can make a telling difference.  He can go back to the drawing board in pre-season and start again next season developing other parts of his game especially his shooting and goalscoring.  But right now, we need his ability to find the pin point passes.

Quick Reply