Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 402608 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #966: Feb 24, 2014 05:54:55 pm
      We had a manager with a similar mindset not so long ago Stuey mate.

Glad those days are over.

Wonder how long it would take for Roy to beat (not literally) that talent out of him lads?  He'd drill him into mediocrity within 6 months.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #967: Feb 24, 2014 05:55:49 pm
      Wonder how long it would take for Roy to beat (not literally) that talent out of him lads?  He'd drill him into mediocrity within 6 months.

I'd give him 6 weeks Debs.

Gives you a chill just thinking about it. :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #968: Feb 24, 2014 06:00:51 pm

I might have missed that but I'm sure it was that idiot Skrtel who gave away the needless free kick who was responsible for the second goal and oh yes the third as well.

My apologies, thought Shelvey's goal was their 2nd. Either way, the same scenario happened despite it being their first or 2nd.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #969: Feb 24, 2014 06:01:35 pm
      whilst having to spit the blokes name out that old c**t from down the A580 was very good with talented kids he always gave them time.
      You have to have talent like that in a Liverpool side and you have to accept sometimes he will have a bad game or two.Remember Luis Garcia what a player he was for us loved the little man.I think Couthino will be even better given time.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #970: Feb 24, 2014 06:11:12 pm
      I'd give him 6 weeks Debs.

Gives you a chill just thinking about it. :D

Scary ain't it Si same as it's scary to think about Raheem on International duty.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #971: Feb 24, 2014 06:17:59 pm
      whilst having to spit the blokes name out that old c**t from down the A580 was very good with talented kids he always gave them time.
      You have to have talent like that in a Liverpool side and you have to accept sometimes he will have a bad game or two.Remember Luis Garcia what a player he was for us loved the little man.I think Couthino will be even better given time.

Coutinho has the potential to become a world class superstar!!  Also, it is not his fault that he is being asked to play in a position that doesn't really suit his natural game.  However, this is the best chance we have had in years at picking up a league title and we can't be as soft in midfield as we were against Swansea if we want to seriously push for the title.  I'm not saying Coutinho needs to be dropped, but something needs to be done in order to address how exposed we are to quick counter attacks when we do lose possession.  You get the feeling that one of Coutinho, Gerrard, Hendo, or Sterling will need to be dropped in order for us to have better balance, and right now it has to be Coutinho as the other 3 are playing on a higher level more consistently. 
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #972: Feb 24, 2014 06:39:52 pm
      I think a lot of this talk of Coutinho "disappearing" is a complete and total misnomer for me. He's being tasked with a lot more defensive responsibilities since we've shifted to a 4-3-3 and isn't on the ball as much as a result. He's playing somewhere in-between an AM and CM role. If we were to go back to a 4-4-2 or whatever, he wouldn't "disappear" at all as we'd constantly be looking for him on the left.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #973: Feb 24, 2014 06:57:04 pm
      We had a manager with a similar mindset not so long ago Stuey mate.

Glad those days are over.

'Kinel Roy didn't even reach the negative level mate, he was content to drift along, not make waives and remain target free, in that respect Roy would actually class negativity as an accomplishment. 
      « Last Edit: Feb 24, 2014 07:07:54 pm by stuey »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #974: Feb 24, 2014 09:18:16 pm
      Coutinho was actually actively involved in the buildup of one of our goals (the best one, in terms of team play) and was vital in some of our best moments in the game, when we were able to keep the ball very high up the pitch and put their defence under severe pressure.

He didn't shine but then again some people have very unrealistic expectations if they think all players will shine every week. Talks about him "disappearing" or "going missing" are, quite frankly, just ridiculous.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #975: Feb 24, 2014 09:34:48 pm
      Coutinho was actually actively involved in the buildup of one of our goals (the best one, in terms of team play) and was vital in some of our best moments in the game, when we were able to keep the ball very high up the pitch and put their defence under severe pressure.

He didn't shine but then again some people have very unrealistic expectations if they think all players will shine every week. Talks about him "disappearing" or "going missing" are, quite frankly, just ridiculous.

I agree Diego..

It's a way of viewing certain types of players, some players don't just run hard looking to be noticed, Coutinho does some wonderful things and we need to lavish praise on his positives rather than complain for things he doesn't do.

Coutinho can change the course of a game with simple touches and doesn't always have to be involved or run around trying to be noticed to do so.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #976: Feb 25, 2014 03:31:18 pm
      I think a lot of this talk of Coutinho "disappearing" is a complete and total misnomer for me. He's being tasked with a lot more defensive responsibilities since we've shifted to a 4-3-3 and isn't on the ball as much as a result. He's playing somewhere in-between an AM and CM role. If we were to go back to a 4-4-2 or whatever, he wouldn't "disappear" at all as we'd constantly be looking for him on the left.

i have no idea what people are talking about. maybe they don't even think about the shape of the team and just figure 'coutinho = CAM therefore must be attacking all game!!'. the way he's evolved in our system this season has been beautiful. and the young lad is hard on himself, too, you can tell. he is a joy to watch and i haven't even used that expression before, but watching him win his own ball, create, deliver is magical. and he's, what, 20? in a system like this learning so well? asked to play in the bloody midfield trio lately? come on. people just want something to talk about every day so they make up anything! :D
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #977: Feb 25, 2014 03:48:05 pm
      I agree Diego..

It's a way of viewing certain types of players, some players don't just run hard looking to be noticed, Coutinho does some wonderful things and we need to lavish praise on his positives rather than complain for things he doesn't do.

Coutinho can change the course of a game with simple touches and doesn't always have to be involved or run around trying to be noticed to do so.

I agree that he is immensely talented and he needs to be nurtured so that we can get the best out of him on a more regular basis.  However, if he is going to continue to play in a deeper CM role then he needs to improve the defensive side of his game and he also needs to be more pragmatic when he receives the ball in deep lying areas.  He almost gifted Swansea a goal when he played the ball straight to Bony (I think) in a very deep and dangerous position. 

I'm not bashing on Coutinho.  He is currently my favorite player as he is such a joy to watch!!  However, if we have a better chance of winning our first league title in over 20 years if he is dropped then he needs to be dropped.  The team always comes first.  That is BR's decision to make (who gets dropped or how we change the side to achieve better balance) and I just hope he gets it right over the next 11 games. 
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #978: Feb 27, 2014 10:55:01 pm
      Coutinho is 21

At the same age Zidane was playing for Bordeaux I believe, and Ronaldinho for Paris St Germain both still developing at the time

Coutinho will become an immense player in a few seasons.....
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #979: Mar 01, 2014 12:25:54 am
      Good to see some people defending him. Makes me believe in humanity again.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #980: Mar 01, 2014 12:44:27 am

I might have missed that but I'm sure it was that idiot Skrtel who gave away the needless free kick who was responsible for the second goal and oh yes the third as well.

You can F**k right off calling Skrtel an idiot.

Embarrassing from a fan to be referring to one of our loyal servants and top performers this year as an idiot.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #981: Mar 01, 2014 01:40:20 am

I really think he is not that important to our team.

One of the most mind bogging posts I have ever read on this site. What's your major malfunction numbnuts?!!

This guy has been f**king superb for us ever since he arrived last year. Christ knows how many goals he has been involved in this season. Without him our goals tally for the season would look a hell of a lot more modest. Like I've said before, he finds the channels no one else can. He empowers the forward line like no one else can. He is dreadfully underrated by many outwith the club, and having read some of the comments on here, many within the club as well. Appreciate the precious value of this guy to our season so far - he is f**king superb!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #982: Mar 01, 2014 12:09:52 pm
      this football club have to have a player in the side like COuthino in my opinion. We have to make it work and we have to accept he will have quiet games but when he shines he can win a game on his own.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #983: Mar 01, 2014 09:27:38 pm
      He was poor again, I'm not against him but today my argument that he was not that essential to our attack was proved. 
      He is a great talent but I'd rather have an in form Allen and Sterling in the starting 11 for now.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #984: Mar 02, 2014 10:24:47 am
      Can be a liability away from home at times, yesterday was one of those games, just needs to sharpen up. Coming off was best for him and us yesterday.

Just one of those where you say chin up and go again next game.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #985: Mar 02, 2014 11:43:33 am
      Philippe is an absolutely superb footballer; silky and sublime.

He may have had an off day in a set up which didn't suit, I don't know [I didn't see it] but his control, vision and subtlety of pass will be even more invaluable in the run in. The lad can unlock defences in so many ways... a top class footballer and he's ours.  8)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #986: Mar 02, 2014 12:15:40 pm
      Philippe is an absolutely superb footballer; silky and sublime.

He may have had an off day in a set up which didn't suit, I don't know [I didn't see it] but his control, vision and subtlety of pass will be even more invaluable in the run in. The lad can unlock defences in so many ways... a top class footballer and he's ours.  8)

Spot on BBB.

He was bad mate, at times he couldn't pass the ball five yards, but we know the quality he has and I have no doubt he will be unlocking defenses again soon.

I think maybe he is a little tired mentally rather than physically and hopefully will be back to his best after this international break.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #987: Mar 02, 2014 12:21:33 pm
      I agree with posters saying for some reason when the system changes he just doesn't seem to click. Guaranteed he is more comfortable further back in a 3. Don't think he liked the diamond and he didn't like being one of a front three either. More effective deeper.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #988: Mar 02, 2014 02:56:40 pm
      Think it could be the case that he maybe tries to hard when creating something, at least that's an impression I get because he always looks so frustrated with himself whenever he gives the ball away. He's young and has already had some great moments with us, just needs to realise just how good he is and that he has the potential to become World Class.

Quick Reply