Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 403394 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #1196: Aug 31, 2014 11:21:05 pm
      Disappointed to see him resigned to the bench and not even play a part, but I suppose it was the right decision. I really rate Coutinho and feel he could become a world class player - the potential is there! He needs to get more involved though and that doesn't seem to happen when he's out on the left. Hope to see him tearing it up against Villa in a fortnights time.

He won't Brendan will play the same team as today providing we don't pick up any injuries to midfield players in the internationals. If Cou comes off the bench he'll need to make a big impression on the game no point looking good in preseason needs to impress when it matters.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1197: Aug 31, 2014 11:26:06 pm
      He won't Brendan will play the same team as today providing we don't pick up any injuries to midfield players in the internationals. If Cou comes off the bench he'll need to make a big impression on the game no point looking good in preseason needs to impress when it matters.

It seems as if Markovic was picked ahead of him today, and Lallana is still to come in. Coutinho really has to raise his game when it matters, like you said.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1198: Aug 31, 2014 11:28:52 pm
      It seems as if Markovic was picked ahead of him today, and Lallana is still to come in. Coutinho really has to raise his game when it matters, like you said.

This is the beauty of our current position - if you're not performing you're not in the team. I was hoping Coutinho would have a great season this year but very underwhelmed by his opening. Once Lallana is on the scene I'm scratching my head as to how Cou gets a game....
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1199: Aug 31, 2014 11:30:59 pm
      The two things Coutinho has to be add to his game consistently to get back into our starting 11 imo is ...

1. His finishing, Brendan wants goals and he wants them to come from midfielders more than ever, Coutinho really has to add this to his game.
      2. Work ethic, he needs to track back more and press consistently, Balotelli come in for him today and seemed to track back more so than Coutinho has in recent games.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1200: Aug 31, 2014 11:44:27 pm
      Yes, problem with Coutinho is his consistency. When he plays well, he is controlling the game and as a result we are tearing teams apart at will (see Everton and Arsenal results at Anfield). When he plays bad he is anonymous and it's as if we're playing only with ten men. In my opinion he is our most talented attacking midfielder. He needs confidence and consistency.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      Reply #1201: Aug 31, 2014 11:51:27 pm
      Yes, problem with Coutinho is his consistency. When he plays well, he is controlling the game and as a result we are tearing teams apart at will (see Everton and Arsenal results at Anfield). When he plays bad he is anonymous and it's as if we're playing only with ten men. In my opinion he is our most talented attacking midfielder. He needs confidence and consistency.

I think Coutinho prospers when we are controlling games and on top of the oppositions midfield but when were not, his a passenger.

This season we won't be able to control every game and we can't afford him to be a passenger in games we need to win, so him being dropped will allow him to come back hungrier and more aware of whats needed of him.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1202: Aug 31, 2014 11:53:18 pm
      I think we all agree now that he's best as a 10 (I told you so!! :D ).

Competing with Raheem for game time will be tough, I honestly believe he could adapt his game to take over from Allen in that role and it's something I think Coutinho mentioned that Brendan had discussed with him effectively playing the 8 role?

What an absolute pleasure it is that we have these young lads having to maintain their top levels to get starting spots for us now though. I absolutely love that about our upcoming season, squad depth seems almost like a luxury for us. Adding Lallana and Markovic into that mix is a huge headache for Brendan, thankfully the type he'll be more than happy to have.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,157 posts | 261 
      Reply #1203: Sep 01, 2014 06:01:23 am
      The two things Coutinho has to be add to his game consistently to get back into our starting 11 imo is ...

1. His finishing, Brendan wants goals and he wants them to come from midfielders more than ever, Coutinho really has to add this to his game.
      2. Work ethic, he needs to track back more and press consistently, Balotelli come in for him today and seemed to track back more so than Coutinho has in recent games.

Agreed mate about things Coutinho has to improve, I'll add that his physical strength also a must for him.

This is the beauty of our current position - if you're not performing you're not in the team. I was hoping Coutinho would have a great season this year but very underwhelmed by his opening. Once Lallana is on the scene I'm scratching my head as to how Cou gets a game....
      I hope Adam Lallana will be selected by his performance mate not just he's 2X millions price tag. I admitted Lallana is the player I have most doubt of quality for all the players BR brought in so far this window. Say so I will very happy if he prove me wrong in the future but read many times in the forum people say something like 'if Lallana play in last ManCity game we will do better' I think it's too early to say so and he also has to take the pressure of the high expectation of him (as some say he's BR's number one target).
      Anyway I know all us the fans would love to see every players be success and become legend of our club, nothing wrong about that :)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1204: Sep 07, 2014 04:34:36 pm
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgcy5aEw6nE&feature=player_detailpage

Apparently, when he came on, Brazil looked more composed on the ball with Coutinho becoming the focal point. Can anyone confirm this? :D

Anyway, always said Coutinho and Sterling should fight for that #10 role, though I do prefer our #10 to be a Coutinho type.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1205: Sep 07, 2014 04:57:07 pm
      He should really be on focused finishing training plans, if he adds accuracy to his shooting he'll be unstoppable
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1206: Sep 07, 2014 06:04:25 pm
      He should really be on focused finishing training plans, if he adds accuracy to his shooting he'll be unstoppable

I actually don't mind his shooting accuracy and power. What I want to see more of from him is to become a conductor and dictate the passing and pace of the game.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      Reply #1207: Sep 07, 2014 06:11:29 pm
      I actually don't mind his shooting accuracy and power. What I want to see more of from him is to become a conductor and dictate the passing and pace of the game.

If that's what you'd like to see then he wouldn't  be a no 10 in my eyes. Well not at the head of a diamond.

He'd need to be playing deeper to have that type of control.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1208: Sep 07, 2014 06:32:08 pm
      If that's what you'd like to see then he wouldn't  be a no 10 in my eyes. Well not at the head of a diamond.

He'd need to be playing deeper to have that type of control.

I think it would work perfect with 3 forward players and attacking full full backs ahead of him, but as for a diamond #10, I think it would be more suited to Sterling as he'll have more space to attack.

I still see it as a #10 role, but dropping slightly deeper to collect the ball and dictating. Also, he'll be ahead of the 2 midfielders behind him for the majority of the time.
      « Last Edit: Sep 07, 2014 06:49:34 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      Reply #1209: Sep 07, 2014 06:57:44 pm
      I think it would work perfect with 3 forward players and attacking full full backs ahead of him, but as for a diamond #10, I think it would be more suited to Sterling as he'll have more space to attack.

I still see it as a #10 role, but dropping slightly deeper to collect the ball and dictating. Also, he'll be ahead of the 2 midfielders behind him for the majority of the time.

I just see Lallana in that position, no doubt in the future we could see.

Henderson     Coutinho

Lallana

As there has been talk of Rodgers attempting to get Phillipe more accustomed to an box to box midfielder role, I think.
      insua22
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #1210: Sep 11, 2014 09:47:21 pm
      Really hope he plays on Saturday. Would love to see him back in the middle with Hendo, just behind Raheem in the diamond. If he finds form he'll be massive.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1211: Sep 12, 2014 01:16:52 am
      No question he's a magician, i think this little spell will remind him he has a long way to go though. Consistency has been his main problem.

He'll back, improved, soon.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,281 posts | 2834 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1212: Sep 16, 2014 09:46:28 pm
      Has gone backwards and when hes poor like that we cant afford to have him there
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1213: Sep 16, 2014 09:56:12 pm
      Has gone backwards and when hes poor like that we cant afford to have him there

Yep can't understand why Suso doesn't get a chance. Try it see what happens.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,281 posts | 2834 
      Reply #1214: Sep 16, 2014 09:59:53 pm
      Yep can't understand why Suso doesn't get a chance. Try it see what happens.

Before tonight Id have said "yes mate I agree" now I think we just cannot play Gerrard Henderson Coutinho/Suso. Stevie doesn't get into the right positions to cover his back 4 Hendo gets up and down so much he wont always be there to cover the other 2 aren't going to break stuff up. And whats worrying is I don't see a solution. Can maybe?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1215: Sep 16, 2014 10:02:08 pm
      Before tonight Id have said "yes mate I agree" now I think we just cannot play Gerrard Henderson Coutinho/Suso. Stevie doesn't get into the right positions to cover his back 4 Hendo gets up and down so much he wont always be there to cover the other 2 aren't going to break stuff up. And whats worrying is I don't see a solution. Can maybe?

Can out for another 4 weeks I think mate. Next plan? Brendan sure has a lot to think about.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,281 posts | 2834 
      Reply #1216: Sep 16, 2014 10:05:27 pm
      Can out for another 4 weeks I think mate. Next plan? Brendan sure has a lot to think about.

Yes I know I meant when hes back but not sure he'd be ideal either
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,281 posts | 2834 
      Reply #1217: Sep 16, 2014 10:19:04 pm

Outside the box thinking but.....Could Flanno play a role there???
      Opravdu
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 80 posts |
      Reply #1218: Sep 16, 2014 10:20:02 pm
      I feel that BR is just waiting for him to click again, so play him hoping it will be that game... Still have faith, a player can't really go from wizard to ewoks like that, he 'll come around and with Sturridge movement, he'll pick THAT pass again very soon.

Quick Reply