Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 398905 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #2438: Mar 26, 2017 06:51:08 pm
      Especially as rakitic has just signed a new contract

Yeah just like Couts. 😁
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2439: Mar 26, 2017 07:12:28 pm
      So start replacing the ones that consistently don't perform with ones that do. Not rocket science...

I don't know what you do for a living but you're wasted.

Seems you've got this Premier League football club management sussed right out!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #2440: Mar 26, 2017 08:17:08 pm
      I don't know what you do for a living but you're wasted.

Seems you've got this Premier League football club management sussed right out!

Clearly, otherwise you wouldn't be fusssd about keeping a player that's good for 10 games a season, regardless of how talented he is...

We all know he's a class act on his day, but when he isn't having one of those, which is far too often IMO, then he doesn't even work hard enough. Plenty of players in the PL alone who offer more than Phil.

He's very much the definition of a luxury player...
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #2441: Mar 26, 2017 08:43:38 pm
      Clearly, otherwise you wouldn't be fusssd about keeping a player that's good for 10 games a season, regardless of how talented he is...

We all know he's a class act on his day, but when he isn't having one of those, which is far too often IMO, then he doesn't even work hard enough. Plenty of players in the PL alone who offer more than Phil.

He's very much the definition of a luxury player...

I understand your point but my point is that no matter how much you think he is a luxury player we are not in a position where we should be selling him.

When off form we should have a trusty player to replace him. We haven't.

Sell him then we have to buy 2 for that position.

Personally (and I have only my imagination and a little hunch to go on here) I think he could have some sort of problem in his personal life. Something doesn't seem right and I really don't think he's going.
      Arlen Correa
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts | 37 
      Reply #2442: Mar 27, 2017 02:44:28 am
      Dont know what's wrong with him im Liverpool after his injury but, with the Brazilian nt he's wc every game.
      Well, Brazil is playing 4-1-4-1 so he's a midfielder 90% of the time, not a winger.
      I think he's better when he's not the center of attention.
      The Brazilian coach is better too.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #2443: Mar 27, 2017 08:33:34 am
      I understand your point but my point is that no matter how much you think he is a luxury player we are not in a position where we should be selling him.

When off form we should have a trusty player to replace him. We haven't.

Sell him then we have to buy 2 for that position.

Personally (and I have only my imagination and a little hunch to go on here) I think he could have some sort of problem in his personal life. Something doesn't seem right and I really don't think he's going.

The problem in his personal life that you alude to, is he wants to live in Spain. Specifically Barcelona...

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2444: Mar 27, 2017 09:16:50 am
      my point is that no matter how much you think he is a luxury player we are not in a position where we should be selling him.
      Slightly off theme here buddy but have you noticed that when the time comes for us to move on our higher earners better players; it's always preceded by a high number of posts, telling why it makes sense, with the failsafe mantra "we can get better for the money": that he is paid too much?

Its like some of us are happy to do the money men's bidding to create an atmosphere where they see selling recognised top players as being acceptable.

Too cynical? Aye possibly. 🙄

It would be nice to know that any money raised (should we sell Phil) would be used to buy and pay for better but, as recent history shows, the chances of that happening are really slim.

My mind is always cast back to Sterling. I asked, a general question, who should we buy to replace him? One 'watcher' said use Ibe - he is better anyhow and he'll save "US" a fortune... I sh*t you not.

I have no doubt the fans, who are weirdly more finance than football orientated will, once again, tell us why it makes sense but they're best ignored. 😉

On topic; wee Phil, played as a "10"? F***ing brilliant.

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2017 02:34:49 pm by bad boy bubby »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2445: Mar 27, 2017 09:24:18 am
      If we get Champs League for next season I think Cou will stay one more season with us. Similar to the Suarez saga.

If we don't finish top 4 I think Cou is 100% going to Barca in the Summer.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2446: Mar 27, 2017 03:18:35 pm
      My mind is always cast back to Sterling. I asked, a general question, who should we buy to replace him? One 'watcher' said use Ibe - he is better anyhow and he'll save "US" a fortune... I sh*t you not.

At least we had someone who could replace Sterling, let's look more at Suarez, who was our best player in that team, sold him to Barca and what did we replace him with? F***ing Balotelli and Rickie Lambert!!

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2447: Mar 27, 2017 10:47:32 pm
      At least we had someone who could replace Sterling, let's look more at Suarez, who was our best player in that team, sold him to Barca and what did we replace him with? F***ing Balotelli and Rickie Lambert!!

Very true. The manager at the time wanted Sanchez and expressly didn't want Balotelli. Didn't stop him getting the blame though when the big Italian turned out to be sh!te and Sanchez was a hit at Arsenal.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2448: Mar 28, 2017 02:48:32 pm
      Dont know what's wrong with him im Liverpool after his injury but, with the Brazilian nt he's wc every game.
      Well, Brazil is playing 4-1-4-1 so he's a midfielder 90% of the time, not a winger.
      I think he's better when he's not the center of attention.
      The Brazilian coach is better too.

We'll judge the Brazilian coach the next time you play Germany ;-)
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2449: Mar 28, 2017 03:10:02 pm
      Very true. The manager at the time wanted Sanchez and expressly didn't want Balotelli. Didn't stop him getting the blame though when the big Italian turned out to be sh!te and Sanchez was a hit at Arsenal.

Sanchez was never coming here so that's a moot point.

I accept Rodgers didn't want Balotelli but it's not like he could attract many top class players.

I mean he believed Borini was a player who would excite the fans.

Yes the opposition fans when they saw how sh*t he was.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2450: Mar 28, 2017 03:21:59 pm

Erm I seem to recall that most people blamed that on the committee, not sure many people pinned Balotelli on Rodgers
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2451: Mar 28, 2017 08:54:10 pm
      Erm I seem to recall that most people blamed that on the committee, not sure many people pinned Balotelli on Rodgers
      It fits Micks agenda better.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2452: Mar 28, 2017 09:29:01 pm
      I think we are safe for another season of Coutinho, seems like Barca want Thiago instead which makes more sense.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2453: Mar 28, 2017 10:24:31 pm
      Why does everyone assume that all players want to go to Barca? Spain is a 3 team league, It's only a matter of time before the majority of the worlds top players will be playing in the PL,  He could get more money at City or Utd and still have regular CL football if that was his motivation.
      Arlen Correa
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts | 37 
      Reply #2454: Mar 29, 2017 02:42:16 am
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #2455: Mar 29, 2017 09:54:18 am

Well he wanted Sanchez but in the end was very close to getting Remy who seemed to be his second choice. Remy was practically done until we landed in the States and played Milan. Then all of a sudden Remy, who had flew to the States to join us on tour,  mysteriously failed a medical with us but not Chelsea, who he then moved to, and then Voila! We sign the shirt selling machine that is Balotelli on the cheap who happened to be in the States.

In fact I remember Rodgers being given a choice of Eto'o and his mobility scooter or Balotelli.

Very much doubt all of that was down to Rodgers and anybody who does needs their head checking.

Edit sorry for the off topic. I will admit I didn't even know what thread I was in as I hit the post button.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2456: Mar 30, 2017 08:41:56 pm

In fact I remember Rodgers being given a choice of Eto'o and his mobility scooter or Balotelli.

Very much doubt all of that was down to Rodgers and anybody who does needs their head checking.

Edit sorry for the off topic. I will admit I didn't even know what thread I was in as I hit the post button.

That F***ing saga was a babyshambles and a half. Sanchez, Remy. Eto vs Balo, what a fuckpit.

Anyway, nice to see Cou on the sheet for Brazil. Thought we took him off bit too early vs Burnley when he was starting to probe. Could be doing with him getting back to the Cou pre ankle twerk. Would love to see him get on the scoresheet, could be doing with the confidence shot.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2457: Apr 02, 2017 11:58:13 am
      Great goal and display from Phil yesterday and that is the quality he has.

At this point he once again finds himself at a crossroads. If he wants a move to Barca then fair fucks, but IMO he has to go out and perform week in week out to get in their team every week.

For now he is still having stages in his season where the form dries up (usually in the middle period)

A few years of Coutinho at his best would be brilliant for us, winning and contributing week in week out.

If he moves to Barca now he could easily turn out to be a flop. Their fans won't put up with wastefulness long before the hankies start coming out in hia direction. I'd like him to fulfil his potential here forst before leaving if that is what he wants to do.

Time to kick on for Cou, he won't come up against the likes of Matty Pennington very often again in his career, so he needs to offer a bit more than the cut inside and shoot from the left policy.

He is a wonderfully gifted player who by now should be the best player at the club by a huge distance, and one of the best in the league. Surely it is only a matter of time for him before he clicks for good.

The ultimate hope obviously is he plays out the rest of his career with us at Liverpool at the top level of his game.

That would require both him wanting to stay and make himself a legend here, and the club not wanting to cash in on a top asset. I can't help feeling however that 1 league cup trophy is a little below his level and that the club can already see the $$$ signs if they sell at just the right time.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #2458: Apr 08, 2017 05:32:38 pm
      Has scored 3 crucial goals in our last 3 games. Hope he'll keep this form till the end of the season. With Mane out, he's the only sort of creativity we have at the moment.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2459: Apr 08, 2017 08:07:38 pm
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2460: Apr 23, 2017 08:46:25 pm
      What a free kick :)
      Need to hold onto him come summer, when Barca or Real or whoever come knocking.

Quick Reply