Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 398956 times
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)
      Reply #3496: Jan 07, 2019 05:07:12 pm
      I wouldn't be surprised if he goes there, after all the sh*t he pulled to get his transfer to Barcelona.

In any case they could probably offload him to PSG for more money.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #3497: Jan 07, 2019 05:13:21 pm
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3498: Jan 07, 2019 05:17:49 pm
      As posted Keith 'media sh*te'.

Yeah probably, happens all to often as we know. Would of thoughts our prioty at the back at the moment.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #3499: Jan 07, 2019 05:40:29 pm
      Even if we took him back, where exactly would he play? I suppose he could rotate with Mane and/or Salah.

JĆ¼rgen is not going to go back for him. Behind that goofy grin, there is a ruthless man. He told many times that we did everything possible to keep him. Coutinho looked for greener pastures and got what he wanted. We got good money and for a change we invested wisely. Coutinho did not care about us and neither do I care about him.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #3500: Jan 07, 2019 06:23:28 pm
      It sounds quite a merry go round, jumping from one club to another !
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3501: Jan 07, 2019 06:29:14 pm
      Dont really bother with la liga. Take it its all gone Pete Tong for him so?

Could give a sh*te where he goes. Hell be a repeat of sterling when he plays us
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3502: Jan 07, 2019 07:04:01 pm
      Objectively from his point of view it was probably worth a shot to get to the Nou Camp. United would be somewhat of a come down from what he anticipated but the pay will be similar if not better.

He's a big club premier league player i'd say. Don't think he is a Barca player. He gets frustrated, shoots and goes for killer balls  too often for their style which requires a bit more patience.

Be a good signing for United if it's true no doubt. Obviously from a Liverpool stand point; if he goes, he's dead to us.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3503: Jan 07, 2019 07:21:19 pm
      Theres not a chance in hell he goes to United, City or the Chavs...we are more likely to bring him back than they are to sign him, and even that is never going to happen. He will be at Barca until either the summer or the summer after and then he will be used to bring back Neymar in a swap deal. IMO.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3504: Jan 07, 2019 07:23:53 pm
      Theres not a chance in hell he goes to United, City or the Chavs...we are more likely to bring him back than they are to sign him, and even that is never going to happen. He will be at Barca until either the summer or the summer after and then he will be used to being back Neymar in a swap deal. IMO.
      If Barcelona sells him quickly for like 90 million, they don't lose as much. Only a few more games and an 18 million add on is triggered, then another 4m when they get in CL. About 50m of Coutinho money owed to us is tied up in add ons.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3505: Jan 07, 2019 07:27:47 pm
      If Barcelona sells him quickly for like 90 million, they don't lose as much. Only a few more games and an 18 million add on is triggered, then another 4m when they get in CL. About 50m of Coutinho money owed to us is tied up in add ons.

It wouldnā€™t surprise me if Edwards got a clause in the deal that means that if they sell Coutinho within the first 2-3 years, then they have to still pay the full amount, whether the add ons have been triggered or not. I donā€™t think weā€™d have spent as much as we did in the summer if there wasnā€™t some sort of guarantee.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #3506: Jan 08, 2019 10:12:42 am
      Spanish fans are impatient, particularly Madrid and Barca. Look at Modric in his first season with Madrid, voted worst signing of the season and they were desperate to get rid. Fast forward 5 years..

Iā€™ve no doubt that Coutinho has the ability to do great things at Barca, if he is given the time. Much rather that than he returned to England and played for one of our rivals.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3507: Jan 08, 2019 10:19:47 am
      Spanish fans are impatient, particularly Madrid and Barca. Look at Modric in his first season with Madrid, voted worst signing of the season and they were desperate to get rid. Fast forward 5 years..

Iā€™ve no doubt that Coutinho has the ability to do great things at Barca, if he is given the time. Much rather that than he returned to England and played for one of our rivals.

It's awful. Dembele is another good example, valverde was accused by some of racism for not picking him and then the same people start slagging Dembele off when he plays and the catalan media have constantly tried to undermine him , saying he is leaving or questioning his attitude.  The abuse the likes of rakitic and suarez have received recently is bewildering and you still people moaning about messi who is as close to untouchable in my book, one knob suggested messi should be slowly phased out of the side
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #3508: Jan 08, 2019 10:24:09 am
      It's awful. Dembele is another good example, valverde was accused by some of racism for not picking him and then the same people start slagging Dembele off when he plays and the catalan media have constantly tried to undermine him , saying he is leaving or questioning his attitude.  The abuse the likes of rakitic and suarez have received recently is bewildering and you still people moaning about messi who is as close to untouchable in my book, one knob suggested messi should be slowly phased out of the side
      That guy should slowly be phased out of life.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #3509: Jan 10, 2019 10:28:18 pm
      Getting absolutely mullored on twitter tonight - ā€œanother nightmarish performanceā€ one of the more balanced Iā€™ve read.

You paved your paradise Phil......the parking lot ainā€™t so grand is it........?
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #3510: Jan 10, 2019 10:34:13 pm
      It's the Michael Owen's gone to Madrid, coming back in January/July conundrum.

Owen was sold for Ā£8m.

Real wanted double (Ā£16m) for a back-up player (and I may be wrong, he was their top scorer that season).

In the end, it was all a bit unrequited flirtation with fantasy. He watched Thommo bang on the glass behind him in the punditry box in Istanbul, he went to Newcastle for the Ā£16m.

In this current market, Ā£130m+ will translate to... around the same figure to bring him back?

Will it happen? No. Is he good enough to still get in the side? Yes.

It's a similar tale, except he will end up at PSG with Neymar in the summer. And they'll probably pay around the same figure that he was sold for.

In the end: he's just another good player who went through another traumatic divorce with us - who thought the grass was greener.

Look forward to his return to Anfield in opposition colours, so he can feel the full effect. Just as Owen did when we lifted the European Cup, sat in a suit.

Owen was sold for 8m because he had a year left on his contract and not 5 years like Coutinho's. If Barca wants to get rid they would sell him at a loss.

Coutinho is a quality player, he would massively improve our team in the final third. However, as much as I would like him back the ship has sailed and I think Klopp has other ideas for the future.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3511: Jan 10, 2019 10:36:08 pm
      Getting absolutely mullored on twitter tonight - ā€œanother nightmarish performanceā€ one of the more balanced Iā€™ve read.

You paved your paradise Phil......the parking lot ainā€™t so grand is it........?

Watched the game, and he was poor. I actually feel sorry for him.

If the rumours are true about Neymar, and if they buy De Jong, I can't see it working out for Coutinho. I guess Klopp was right, he is just another player at Barca instead of something more prominent with us.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #3512: Jan 10, 2019 10:37:46 pm

Ha good enough for the c**t.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3513: Jan 11, 2019 12:05:58 am
      Watched the game, and he was poor. I actually feel sorry for him.

If the rumours are true about Neymar, and if they buy De Jong, I can't see it working out for Coutinho. I guess Klopp was right, he is just another player at Barca instead of something more prominent with us.
      he'd be rotating with Mane, but we wouldn't have VVD and Alisson. We benefitted from the sale.

75+67 = 142m.
      Coutinho went for for 142m.
      We got Van Dijk for 75m.
      We got Alisson for 67m.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3514: Jan 11, 2019 09:02:45 am
      Owen was sold for 8m because he had a year left on his contract and not 5 years like Coutinho's. If Barca wants to get rid they would sell him at a loss.

Coutinho is a quality player, he would massively improve our team in the final third. However, as much as I would like him back the ship has sailed and I think Klopp has other ideas for the future.

I just meant the whole 'is he coming back saga' 12 months after being sold.

We couldn't afford his market value (also another comparison to my initial post) of paying double for Owen, or around the same astronomical price that Coutinho left for.

I still stand by my prediction that he will end up at PSG next season, who else has silly money like that? City?  :roll:
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #3515: Jan 11, 2019 09:05:10 am
      Get him back! Loved him
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #3516: Jan 11, 2019 09:31:11 am

Chances slim and none.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3517: Jan 11, 2019 10:32:34 am
      Problem for him is the change in formation to a 433 meaning he has to play in central midfield and unfortunately that leaves Barca far too open as his defensive output is no where near good enough.

He just needs to wait for the invariable manager change at Barca.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3518: Jan 11, 2019 11:00:17 am
      Problem for him is the change in formation to a 433 meaning he has to play in central midfield and unfortunately that leaves Barca far too open as his defensive output is no where near good enough.

He just needs to wait for the invariable manager change at Barca.

What formation did Barca use to play though, I thought they'd almost always played with 3 strikers, certainly the last few seasons.

Quick Reply