Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)

Read 398911 times
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool > FC Barcelona)
      Reply #3726: Aug 26, 2019 12:24:11 pm
      As Skip was saying, the old saying was "The only way was down".
      It wasn't like that for years because of the state LFC was in and the draw of the big Spanish clubs,
      hence Alonso, Suarez, Mascherano, leaving. The perfect storm of club in crisis and Barca/Madrid.

Now though it's starting to look like Klopp has achieved his aim to make players view LFC as their end destination and not a stepping stone. Of course the club will need to build on that, in all areas.

Well, we weren't in a good state when Torres left us and he flunked so badly after that. Xabi Alonso left us when we had our best season under Rafa.

so really it always depends on the players mentality.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3727: Aug 26, 2019 01:08:08 pm
      Well, we weren't in a good state when Torres left us and he flunked so badly after that. Xabi Alonso left us when we had our best season under Rafa.

Torres was never quite the same player due to injury.
      Alonso and Rafa had a falling out, although I've no doubt he'd have gone to Madrid at some stage anyway.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3728: Aug 27, 2019 06:38:55 pm

Xabi's transfer fee also cleared certain debts!!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #3729: Aug 27, 2019 07:54:04 pm
      Xabi's transfer fee also cleared certain debts!!

Cleared ? Sticky plaster over it
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3730: Aug 27, 2019 09:34:40 pm
      Now though it's starting to look like Klopp has achieved his aim to make players view LFC as their end destination and not a stepping stone. Of course the club will need to build on that, in all areas.

Not just by our significant on pitch improvement either. The next time a player starts to get attracted to the idea of bigger and better things, I'm sure they will be quickly reminded about how bad it's gone for Coutinho after Klopp had warned him he wouldn't be anything special if he left us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3731: Aug 29, 2019 06:21:18 pm

Well cleared the debt servicing the loan!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #3732: Feb 07, 2020 09:53:39 pm
      https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/barcelona-lower-philippe-coutinho-asking-21448803

The headline is "Barcelona lower asking price as Liverpool are advised to sign Coutinho".

Just who is "advising" Liverpool to sign Coutinho?
      The Daily Mirror? Barcelona? Macmanaman?

Not a hope in hell of Jürgen signing Coutinho.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #3733: Feb 07, 2020 11:55:38 pm
      Yeh agree no chance his time has gone.  He must be having nightmares about his decision.  McManaman the expert on Liverpool transfers!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3734: Feb 08, 2020 11:35:17 am
      I have no problem with taking him back, but it ha to be for the right price and he would have to accept that he might not be an automatic starter.
      My only issue is whether or not he actually fits Klopp's system, but I sure do miss some of his goals, what a lovely top corner curler that lad had.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #3735: Feb 10, 2020 05:28:49 am
      I have no problem with taking him back, but it ha to be for the right price and he would have to accept that he might not be an automatic starter.
      My only issue is whether or not he actually fits Klopp's system, but I sure do miss some of his goals, what a lovely top corner curler that lad had.

We would all like him back here I think, he was one of the best players in the world when he left. If there's a team for him it's LFC, but the question is whether the board and Klopp will invest so much in him again given the squad we have.
      But if we want to make sure that we progress next season, Coutinho is one of the safest best.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #3736: Feb 10, 2020 11:30:53 am
      We would all like him back here I think, he was one of the best players in the world when he left. If there's a team for him it's LFC, but the question is whether the board and Klopp will invest so much in him again given the squad we have.
      But if we want to make sure that we progress next season, Coutinho is one of the safest best.

No, don't think we "all" would.

He can ply his trade anywhere else but here. What he did to force a move...faking an injury, disrupting the team right before crucial games.....nah, we don't need him back here.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3737: Feb 10, 2020 11:47:30 am
      👎🏼
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3738: Feb 10, 2020 04:48:02 pm
      We would all like him back here I think,

Nope, we did superb business getting the price we got and bringing in two even better players.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3739: Feb 10, 2020 04:58:14 pm
      We would all like him back here I think

Nope. We got better with his departure.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #3740: Feb 10, 2020 06:07:23 pm
      OK, it seems you still old a grudge against him. I understand, but I can hardly name better midfielders than Coutinho when he left us, this right foot is magic.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3741: Feb 10, 2020 06:18:53 pm

Nope.
      He thought the grass was greener at Barca, F**k him.

I really don't understand this thing about "we must buy to progress". It's nonsense, who do we take out of the first team and put in to make it better?
      Who will come in and understand the team dynamic, that improves us.
      We have a group of players, all around their prime, who now understand each others games intimately.
      Why would anyone want to F**k with that?

Replace any outgoing fringe players, either in the market or through the youth system, or both.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #3742: Feb 10, 2020 06:27:46 pm
      No thanks and I suspect the manager won’t want to touch him
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3743: Feb 10, 2020 06:40:44 pm
      Peter Moore;

"If you recall, when he left two years ago, then it was a complete change of style of play and we [hardly] lost a game over the balance of the season."

“No disrespect to Philippe but he had a different style of play"

Sounds to me as though he no longer fits the style of our team.

OK, it seems you still old a grudge against him. I understand, but I can hardly name better midfielders than Coutinho when he left us, this right foot is magic.

Don't hold a grudge at all, couldn't give a toss about him. He thought he could go on to bigger and better things, just because it hasn't worked out doesn't mean we should suddenly want him back.
      We got much better as a result of his departure, why go back to players that were part of us not being this good? Coutinho now is simply a backwards step. No grudge, no bitterness. He couldn't handle the pressure of his move to Barca or Bayern, how's he going to handle even more pressure returning and being expected to perform better than what we currently have and to the level he was before he left.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #3744: Feb 10, 2020 10:02:06 pm
      I always think it's a mistake to bring players back to a club, not in all cases but mostly it doesn't work. Coutinho was made into a brilliant player after he signed for us, we paid 8.5 million and sold him for what? 160 million? We made him into a world beater, he thought the grass was greener on the other side, but like with many, he found it wasn't. He never had a look in when we played them in the semi's last season, went from a big fish to a minnow...nuff said.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #3745: Feb 10, 2020 10:24:43 pm
      Nope.
      He thought the grass was greener at Barca, F**k him.

I really don't understand this thing about "we must buy to progress". It's nonsense, who do we take out of the first team and put in to make it better?
      Who will come in and understand the team dynamic, that improves us.
      We have a group of players, all around their prime, who now understand each others games intimately.
      Why would anyone want to F**k with that?

Replace any outgoing fringe players, either in the market or through the youth system, or both.

That’s a difficult one how to progress from being European champions  world champions , super cup winners , prem league champions , and could add the fa and euro cup again ,
      Think the only way you progress from that is do it again , atm there’s not that many players who could come into this outfit and make it better as you say most are in or reaching their prime , except Trent who has a lot to learn 😉😉
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3746: Feb 10, 2020 10:35:41 pm
      No thanks, could have been a legend but like others thought the grass is greener elsewhere and look how that ended up!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3747: Feb 11, 2020 10:30:11 am

Nothing to do with people having a grudge.
      The team improved because of the money brought in by Coutinho. (Virgil & Alisson)

This team's identity is "Intensity".
      That's not part of Coutinho's game.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #3748: Feb 11, 2020 11:25:29 am
      I'm indifferent towards Coutinho, he was good for us as a player but we don't need him anymore.

Quick Reply