Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Should Carragher keep his place for Man City?

Read 3211 times
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Re: Should Carragher keep his place for Man City?
      Reply #23: Feb 02, 2013 12:36:54 am
      Tricky one, totally agree with the deeper line comments with Carra in the team due to his lack of pace. That said without him no matter who lines up in the back four there's no organiser or leader.

Going away from the City game and looking at our central defence as a whole it needs to be high if not top on the priority list next summer.

I honestly think if he's come through the Arsenal game OK and feels he can do another 90 he'll start. Skrtel is way too inconsistent for me some days he looks a world beater but others he looks like he belongs on local pitch on a Sunday morning.

A centre back should find the game easier as he plays more yet I find Skrtel doesn't learn from his mistakes and season after season he repeats them to our cost.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #24: Feb 02, 2013 03:22:30 am
      Is there anyone else left in the squad ?
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #25: Feb 02, 2013 07:35:38 am
      I think like most that he played well on Wed, although we did drop a lot deeper than normal - maybe due to the Carra playing - and this saw us concede an awful lot of possession. With the rotation of players and the fact that he worked very hard the other night I would be surprised to see him play. 

Skrtel has been rested/dropped and he is more than likely going to play - he has a the opportunity to make amends for the home game.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #26: Feb 02, 2013 08:55:42 am
      Tough question this one. I think he will play, it might be another quick game but he is a top pro who hasn't played a great deal in recent months so I suspect he will be up to the task physically. I thought he played well against a fast paced Arsenal side in mid-week. I don't have a problem who plays int his one, i'm not sure there is much to choose between them. I think I would just plump for Skrtel to get his place back but we'll see.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #27: Feb 02, 2013 10:32:25 am
      I'd personally say no for reasons that others have already mentioned such as:

• It is too much for him to play 2 games in 4 days especially against the calibre of clubs like Arsenal and City.
      • Skrtel now knows he needs to step his game up or he is out of the team again

One thing that needs to happen is for Agger to get a kick up the arse too from Rodgers. I didn't watch the second half but I saw the build up to their goals and I'm fairly sure (not 100%) that Agger seemed to be partly to blame for both goals, more so the second where he was on his arse which meant Walcott had a bigger target to aim at with nobody in his way. 
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #28: Feb 02, 2013 11:07:36 am
      If he is fit and able too.....yes he should play. He's a fantastic defender, rarely beaten in the air, positionally he is fantastic and he stays on everybody else's back throughout the game, making sure they are doing what they need to.

The issue with him though, is that we naturally defend deeper so we don't get caught in the space behind our defensive line and that can lead to us sitting on top of Pepe at times when we come under pressure.

I'm also not a massive fan of Skrtel these days, I think he's a bit sh*t basically. Never know what you're gonna get from him, whereas with Carra, you know exactly what you will get and he'll do his job very well for the team.

Despite everything he's done I feel that Carra's abilities are still under-rated by many, but you can see this season how much he offers when he does play.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #29: Feb 02, 2013 12:18:44 pm
      One think all will agree and  can be sure of Carra's commitment and PASSION for the club and the team
              The question  most are asking is can he cope with 2 massive games in 4/5 days at 35
            If   Carra himself ,the physios, and Brendan Rodgers think that he can then the answer is  YES he should  play
            Maybe we lose a little bit of pace at the back when he playes,  but we gain  more concentration   in the defence

if skrtel plays , he knows he needs a good performance to keep Carra out of the 11

YNWA
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #30: Feb 02, 2013 04:55:14 pm
      Personally i'd start with Carragher myself. Not just on his performance midweek but also his organisational skills. He breeds confidence in the players around him. He commands respect.

While i understand the concerns regarding his fitness i'd rather give him an hour and then bring on Skrtel than the other way around. I rate Skrtel but over the last 12 months he's shown a distinct lack of progress, it's like he needs a babysitter with him in defence and we can't afford any passengers.

Liking the comments about steel, this man is made of it.

Carra to start for me.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #31: Feb 02, 2013 07:21:14 pm
      Should he start? Yes he should, even at 35 he's still fit enough, and put's his body on the line unlike others.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #32: Feb 02, 2013 07:45:38 pm
      Tricky one as he deserves his place but I doubt he'll play.  Brendan didn't play him against Oldham to keep him fresh for the Arsenal game, so I can't see him playing him again 4 days later.

Save him for the West Brom or Zenit game  ;)
      falkirk_bairn
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Reply #33: Feb 02, 2013 07:59:11 pm
      Keep Carragher in the team if he is up to it.

I hate to say it but Skrtel always looks like a bombscare. He is capable of putting in a fine performance 1 minute and then making a complete mess of it the next.

The concentration levels in the defence are much higher when Carragher players. He simply demands higher standards.

Quick Reply