Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. A point at the Emirates, who was your man of the match?

Luis Suarez
      19 (17.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      25 (23.6%)
      Jamie Carragher
      47 (44.3%)
      Steven Gerrard
      10 (9.4%)
      Daniel Agger
      2 (1.9%)
      Someone else?
      3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Arsenal 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Thoughts

Read 40106 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Arsenal 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Thoughts
      Reply #874: Jan 30, 2013 11:05:33 pm
      Didnt see the game. How did coutinho do? Impressed?

Totally annonymous.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #875: Jan 30, 2013 11:10:21 pm

That's what really pissed me off about this match Daz it was like he wasn't even there....poor start to his career tbh.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #876: Jan 30, 2013 11:10:33 pm
      Well that was a game of two halves, Liverpool were superb in the first hour of the game, scoring two great goals and we let Arsenal back into it, I'm sure most of us would have taken a draw before the game started but having been 2 up, I feel slightly disapointed that we didn't come away with all three points, still the prospects look good and I'm sure Mancini sitting with his 'Farmer Giles' hat on in the stands will be worried for his team on Sunday after our first half display........I said I wanted 4 points from these games, so a win it is on Sunday then  :scarf:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #877: Jan 30, 2013 11:15:11 pm
      Poll up for your Man of the Match, Jamie gets my vote, life in those old legs yet Jamie  ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #878: Jan 30, 2013 11:15:48 pm
      Poll up for your Man of the Match, Jamie gets my vote, life in those old legs yet Jamie  ;D

Nice one Cas!

Was waiting for this to vote for Jamie as well.

Great game.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #879: Jan 30, 2013 11:18:04 pm
      Jamie it is then .
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #880: Jan 30, 2013 11:18:56 pm
      So disappointed not to take the 3 points, especially after being 2-0 up but you could almost sense it coming.

We sat further and further back as the game went on.  I know they were pressing but we should have been doing that to them to take some pressure off but still a point at the emirates is never bad.

As Aldo said tonight get Sundays game out of the way and we've got the difficult away games out of the way with the chavs, spuds and bitters still to come to Anfield.

Onwards and upwards.

Oh and well done Brendan for taking responsibility for Sunday.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #881: Jan 30, 2013 11:25:16 pm
      I'd vote Pepe Reina as MOTM to be honest. Saved us countless times and really was the difference between a loss and a win.

Regarding the match, I am disappointed not having won but we must take positives from the first game. Out counter attacking was perfect in the first half. And it really cost us not getting a second in the first half, which would have than been the third in the second half.

Lessons need to be learnt, we cannot defend that deep and expect to keep our lead. We need to keep possession better. Had we kept possession for a 10 minute spell we would have pushed up significantly.

I'm happy with our performance and I hope we can get a result at City.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #882: Jan 30, 2013 11:31:00 pm
      Pity that wasn't a 60 minute game.
      Ah well, win at City and its 4 points from 2 games.

No signings and Mancini is due a "statement" 11.
      Still we hope.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #883: Jan 30, 2013 11:54:10 pm
      If it had been another team, Arsenal would have conceded 5 or 6 goals. Their defence was in disarray. We really need a quality AM and DM. We got Countinho and lets search for an DM. We defended too deep and allowed them to come at us at will. Nevertheless, a point is better than none.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #884: Jan 31, 2013 12:24:33 am
      Brenden Rodgers rebuilding since June 2012

Arsene Wenger rebuilding since May 2005
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #885: Jan 31, 2013 12:37:29 am
      story of our season in a single game....brilliant and bad in the blink of an eye.

Graat to see Carra roll back the years and Gerrard played well too.  Just need someone in the centre of the park to hold the ball as Lucas is playing awful this season
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #886: Jan 31, 2013 12:56:01 am
      Gerrard had a bad game. Apart from our two goals we didnt look well. Suarez didnt show up for the second half. We should have beaten Arsenal tonight.  We just couldnt put any pressure on them in the second half. They made us look like a very average team.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #887: Jan 31, 2013 01:07:04 am
      Liverpool's draw means they have still not beaten any side in the top 10 of the Premier League this season .

BBC Sport
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #888: Jan 31, 2013 01:23:24 am
      That's what really pissed me off about this match Daz it was like he wasn't even there....poor start to his career tbh.
      damn. Turns out to be the worst buy in the history of LFC...
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #889: Jan 31, 2013 01:27:43 am
      Yeah we were the better team ,have you a problem with that or would you like to elaborate on it .

We hardly defended fantastically, besides Carra, our attack was good in the first half but in the second 45 we couldn't get possession and nearly every attack turned into a wasted chance seeing as we only had the ball for a short amount of time. Our passing wasn't up to scratch, and if Carra and Gerrard hadn't have stepped up we would have lost the game. No, I don't think we were the better team. Arsenal defended like crap but they killed us in the second half and attacked with purpose all game long,
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #890: Jan 31, 2013 02:34:52 am
      Voted for Henderson as MOTM, thought he was quite good though no one really played well.

Gerrard was disappointing, looking really tired lately, as was Johnson (especially in the last 25minutes). I thought BR missed a trick by not playing Downing on the left in the second half, this would help Johnson against Walcott who I thought was the catalyst to their comeback.

I know that BR changed his formation to more of a 4-5-1 due to being away at Arsenal, however I'd like to see us go for more of a 4-2-3-1, allowing Suarez to play as a CF rather than a winger/wide-foward. I feel he's more dangerous in that sort of area.

Anyway, decent result to get a draw at the Emirates, on to City. YNWA
      luciano-lfc
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #891: Jan 31, 2013 02:41:39 am
      I'm as disappointed as the next red, but I'm not as convinced that we sat back purely by choice. Arsenal pushed us into it. The intensity of their game was astounding at times, passing the ball around so quickly it was hard for us to keep up. Whenever they didn't have to defend, they were a good side. When their center-backs had to do something... well, that's another story.

All in all, I consider it an improvement from our previous showings against big teams. We started the game brightly and got our goal, instead of starting poorly, conceding and then chasing the game.

One thing is for sure though, our midfield was way too open. Speed tears our midfield apart, as does physicality. We need an answer to both these problems.
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #892: Jan 31, 2013 02:44:49 am
      Voted for Henderson as MOTM, thought he was quite good though no one really played well.

Gerrard was disappointing, looking really tired lately, as was Johnson (especially in the last 25minutes). I thought BR missed a trick by not playing Downing on the left in the second half, this would help Johnson against Walcott who I thought was the catalyst to their comeback.

I see your point but I completely disagree. I thought Gerrard was quite good, and Henderson had a shocker.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #893: Jan 31, 2013 03:35:13 am
      Hendo was average and had he not shown some pace in the first half, he should have been dropped but his goal again showed that he can be a great player, form is temporary... I think BR's wanted us  to take no risks and play it safe for once, but we could not avoid these 2 conceded goals, it was due to the quality of Arsenal's players, who could have stopped the goals Walcott and Giroud: very few could and we were away from home and Arsenal were dying to win. I'm not happy but I'm not that sad of losing 3 points. It was a choice of BR that I cannot disagree with. Wisdom was very good. MOTM Suarez for the first half.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #894: Jan 31, 2013 03:45:34 am
      Went for Stevie as my motm closely followed by Jamie. Stevie just edged it due to his defending.

Also agree with Blood that we have given teams way too much respect this season. Imagine if we played the first half against the mancs like we did in the second half.

Unfortunately we seem to be developing a mid table mentality within the squad. Its great when a team is happy but we lack that killer instinct, That slight arrogance of looking at the opposition and knowing that we will win.

We need a physical player sitting deep. I'd actually give Wisdom a go there purely because he isn't the best going forward but he is a big unit that will scare the sh*t out opposition midfields. In a few years he'll be a monster.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #895: Jan 31, 2013 03:52:49 am
      Hendo was average and had he not shown some pace in the first half, he should have been dropped but his goal again showed that he can be a great player, form is temporary... I think BR's wanted us  to take no risks and play it safe for once, but we could not avoid these 2 conceded goals, it was due to the quality of Arsenal's players, who could have stopped the goals Walcott and Giroud: very few could and we were away from home and Arsenal were dying to win. I'm not happy but I'm not that sad of losing 3 points. It was a choice of BR that I cannot disagree with. Wisdom was very good. MOTM Suarez for the first half.

I was very encouraged by Henderson's display. Not great but not bad. He showed a bit of nervy reluctance/hesitation to run into space but when he did he flourished. Just give him that extra bit of confidence and he can really make use of that spare space. I'd say a decent job by Henderson tonight.

MOTM is a tough one because there were a few stand out performances coming from Carra, Luis and Pepe. I'd draw it down to Carragher and Reina but I genuinely cannot separate the two. I thought both were outstanding tonight and providing us a trip down memory lane and of what they can still offer to the team. But I'll give it to Carragher because it feels like a long time since I've chosen him as MOTM
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,979 posts | 238 
      Reply #896: Jan 31, 2013 05:28:57 am

Unfortunately we seem to be developing a mid table mentality within the squad.

My thoughts exactly. A draw at Emirates is not bad. But, it is still disappointing because we were 2 ahead with 30 mins left to play. This is similar to manc game when we scored  a goal in the 57 th min. But, the mancs saw off the game. Unfortunately, we were not able to do that yesterday. On top of it, we were playing for a draw with some players wasting time after the score became 2-2. That, to me, is not acceptable at this club. That arsenal team was there for the taking.  But, this mentality of playing for a point irks me.

Quick Reply