Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. A point at the Emirates, who was your man of the match?

Luis Suarez
      19 (17.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      25 (23.6%)
      Jamie Carragher
      47 (44.3%)
      Steven Gerrard
      10 (9.4%)
      Daniel Agger
      2 (1.9%)
      Someone else?
      3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Arsenal 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Thoughts

Read 39719 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Arsenal 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Thoughts
      Reply #897: Jan 31, 2013 06:56:58 am
       I am dissapointed we had the 3 points in the bag and we slipped up and gave 2 points away.I do not want to be over critical of the lad but one thing that infuriates me is the amount of passing back to the goalie by young Wisdom.Is he under instructions to play this way or is it just down to his inexperience.Most teams would consider it a triumph to come away from Arsenal with a point but we could/should of had 3points.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #898: Jan 31, 2013 07:04:07 am
      I'd vote Pepe Reina as MOTM to be honest. Saved us countless times and really was the difference between a loss and a win.

Regarding the match, I am disappointed not having won but we must take positives from the first game. Out counter attacking was perfect in the first half. And it really cost us not getting a second in the first half, which would have than been the third in the second half.

Lessons need to be learnt, we cannot defend that deep and expect to keep our lead. We need to keep possession better. Had we kept possession for a 10 minute spell we would have pushed up significantly.

I'm happy with our performance and I hope we can get a result at City.

I have to play devil's advocate and say he gave up the Walcott goal too easily and looked out of sorts countless times in the 2nd half. He may have saved us from the loss but he didn't do us too many favors to gain the victory. I hope we can get a keeper (probably in the summer now) to get the best form out of either them or Reina.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #899: Jan 31, 2013 07:10:36 am
      Interesting the way we started and how the game went for the first hour.  I thought we played similarly to the way teams have played against us - happy to concede possession, sit quite deep and hit on the break.  It worked quite well, and although they had a fair amount of possession, we still had the better chances.  But as the game wore on we started to sit deeper and deeper (it was like watching a European night under Houllier), and unfortunately we just aren't strong enough defensively to play that deep.

Thought Reina looked very good until they scored, then seemed to lose a bit of confidence seeming slow to react for the second, but that might be a bit harsh.  Not surprisingly I thought Downing was fairly anonymous, and I was disappointed not to see Sterling introduced late on, to see if his pace could cause their relatively slow backline some problems.

Before the game I may well have been satisfied with a 2-2, but after being 2 up it almost feels like a defeat.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #900: Jan 31, 2013 07:30:16 am
      Always fear playing the Gunners but when Luis scored so early, I thought this is gonna be our night. To then go 2 ahead at The Emirates, I was over the moon. I knew they'd come back at us in the 2nd half but to capitulate like that and just go missing for 2 and a half minutes, where they scored both their goals, really is gut wrenching. Dropped 2 points that were there for the taking.

I'm like you Muzzman  :roll:  Couldn't for the life of me understand why BR didn't sub F***ing Downing and bring on Raheem when we needed pace on the pitch as we were playing a catch them on the break game. No use our players winning the ball back from them and then dawdling up the F***ing pitch to find all their players back there. So F***ing frustrating.

We got a point, OK,  I actually thought for a while we might drop all 3 but to not come out of that game with a 'W' next to our name is very demoralizing.

We have to go to Citeh now and get 3 points. That's going to be twice as hard as going to the Emirates. If they knock us over, we would have taken a measly 1 point from a possible 6, when 6, 4 or 3 at the very least would have been the preferred options.
      redpool
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #901: Jan 31, 2013 07:37:29 am
      I have to play devil's advocate and say he gave up the Walcott goal too easily and looked out of sorts countless times in the 2nd half. He may have saved us from the loss but he didn't do us too many favors to gain the victory. I hope we can get a keeper (probably in the summer now) to get the best form out of either them or Reina.

The shot on goal was done with amazing pace at a very short distance,  no goalkeeper in the world would have reacted quick enough to save a shot like that.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #902: Jan 31, 2013 07:42:18 am
      The shot on goal was done with amazing pace at a very short distance,  no goalkeeper in the world would have reacted quick enough to save a shot like that.

Maybe not but why do other keepers seem to always have luck against us.

If it was the same situation and Luis ripped one like that, some other keeper would have stuck out a foot and knowing their luck, it would have gone behind for a corner.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #903: Jan 31, 2013 07:44:14 am

I wouldn't blame Pepe but those defending on the left, they were simply ball watching and we knew Walcott will cut in to take a shot but we never close him down effectively.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #904: Jan 31, 2013 07:48:16 am
      Is it too late to sign a defensive coach in the transfer window ? Because yet again we concede from a dead ball situation

Should have had the game wrapped up at 2-0, but almost threw it away. Felt like a point salvaged at the end as opposed to the 3 we should have had in the bag
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #905: Jan 31, 2013 08:24:31 am
      Gerrard had a bad game. Apart from our two goals we didnt look well. Suarez didnt show up for the second half. We should have beaten Arsenal tonight.  We just couldnt put any pressure on them in the second half. They made us look like a very average team.

???

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #906: Jan 31, 2013 08:26:32 am

Should have had the game wrapped up at 2-0, but almost threw it away. Felt like a point salvaged at the end as opposed to the 3 we should have had in the bag
      I agree  we had them struggling in that first half and should not be giving a 2 goal lead away.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #907: Jan 31, 2013 08:31:17 am
       All this "threw it away" and "gave away the lead" is nonsense IMHO. They played very well for the last half hour, they've got some good players and good players do that sometimes. Their first goal was pivotal and we "gave that away" in the sense it was awful defending, but other than that it was a game of three thirds. We had the first two, they had the last one.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #908: Jan 31, 2013 08:35:30 am
      All this "threw it away" and "gave away the lead" is nonsense IMHO. They played very well for the last half hour, they've got some good players and good players do that sometimes. Their first goal was pivotal and we "gave that away" in the sense it was awful defending, but other than that it was a game of three thirds. We had the first two, they had the last one.
      So mathematically speaking we should of won if we had two thirds of the game.In my opinion we lost 2 points that we should of had in the bag.If we are to progress we cannot afford to throw away 2 goal leads.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #909: Jan 31, 2013 08:41:05 am
      Odd game really all in all..

Before it would i have taken a point? Yes.. However i felt they were there for the taking, we think we have defensive issues? Well they take that to a different level..
      But at 2-0? We shouldnt be letting them back into it so easily.. I remember Wenger talking about Swansea last season when they were being compared to Arsenal and he said something along the lines of

They play sterile football, they keep it but dont do any damage with the ball.. Just hold the ball with no thought to either give it away or take risks to penetrate

Not an exact quote but it was certainly based along that..

Well at 2-0 in games thats what we need to do.. We need to just keep the ball and take the sting out of games.. We have top top footballers so they can keep a football, but at times we are like school kids, just desperate to get that next goal and give the ball up so cheaply..

The game as a whole though we were probably lucky to get away with a point, they were the better side, but we took adavantage of two defensive f**k ups, and if we had finished better at times we could have took adavantage of a couple more..
      But im trying to look slightly neutrally at the way we approached the game.. Ive been calling for us to be tighter at times and more pragmatic, and we certainly tried to be tighter than in other games, we looked to defend and the wide forwards certainly dropped in to help defensively which they havent been doing all through the season.. So was that by design or by the fact we took an early lead and dropped?

There were one or two fantastic individual performances.. I thought Carra was immence, dont need to expand, he just was..
      I felt Luis was brilliant off the left side, not only for his want to join up the attack but the way he went about dropping defensively and offering cover for his full back, thats one place we went wrong sunday at Oldham, the way the manager set them up with a 4-2-4 essentially meant that the full backs, both kids still were woefully exposed by having no help in front of them, but Luis was superb at that last night, he dropped back, helped cover Johnson, and then the other way his vision and energy were exceptional..
      I thought Henderson did well again, his energy to try to link the front three with the midfield is fantastic..

One issue i still have is the midfield.. The balance rather than the players.. Both midfields were passed by alot yesterday again, it was interesting to see Arsenal as they play the 3 in there as well, and as much as i felt Wilshere had a really good game for them the midfields are often stuck in no mans land with too much ground to cover..

Overall.. Frustrated we losta  two goal lead.. Disapointed  really but on the overall game we were probably lucky to get that..
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #910: Jan 31, 2013 08:51:20 am
      Is it too late to sign a defensive coach in the transfer window ? Because yet again we concede from a dead ball situation

Steve Clarke.

(Ouch)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #911: Jan 31, 2013 08:59:36 am

Disagree to be honest Mick, we were 1-0 up and we allowed Arsenal to come onto us, we stopped pressing in numbers high up the pitch, we tried to soak up the pressure and hit them on the break and we went 2-0 up and dropped even deeper, we allowed them to play football, we threw the game away.

Watch the opening 30 minutes of that game again and watch how many times we had Suarez, Sturridge and Henderson pressing the Arsenal defenders, even Gerrard was joining in. Then after the half hour mark  watch how when we lost possession every one with the exception of Sturridge retreated into our own half and got into their position to maintain our shape. We were basically saying to Arsenal here's two banks of four, come break us down.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #912: Jan 31, 2013 09:07:27 am
       I don't know what to say ?

At times both teams were awful, both teams should of won, but neither deserved to win.

IMO last night we watched the two teams who will finish in 6th and 7th position in the premier league   
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #913: Jan 31, 2013 09:11:55 am
      If Arsenal hadn't been so completely disorganised we wouldn't have the luxury of discussing the pro's and con's of a single point.
      Both those goals in the first half were a comedy of errors by their back 4, Luis and Hendo virtually walked the ball in.
      They were marginally better in the mid and forward positions but still far from the standard of a team who could claw back a 2 goal home deficit as easily as they did.
      When no one can step up to the mark and the magnificent Jamie Carragher pulls us out the of the sh*te, that fact should be cause for concern.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #914: Jan 31, 2013 09:19:01 am
      Thing is Stu we could have just as easily scored 6 or 7, Sturridge had two good chances, Agger had two good headers, one cleared off the line, Henderson had a good chance when he tried to lob the keeper (if only he played Suarez in or Sturridge on the edge of the area and Suarez had a couple of good chances including the one right at the death.

So I don't think we were 'Lucky' to get a point as some suggest, I think Arsenal were Lucky the game wasn't put to bed before we allowed them to start playing football.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #915: Jan 31, 2013 09:25:12 am
      Not so much lucky Daz but having the benefit of not confronting a rival capable of giving a performance on the night, in their opinion at least.
      It was not the Arsenal display you would expect and it was really only Walcott that impressed, they are usually better organised even though they have been found wanting a number of times recently.
      I am just well pissed off mate we done it again!! let a secure lead evaporate, we had some good chances agreed but the spine of the side is lacking
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2013 10:24:32 am by stuey »
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #916: Jan 31, 2013 09:29:31 am
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #917: Jan 31, 2013 09:34:30 am
      One thing i didn't liked is putting our top scorer in wings defending near to our box just to accommodate Sturridge.He is our best attacking threat, playing him that deep negated our threat to a great extent.
      I feel we should play Suarez as CF against bigger teams and play Sturridge on the left wing and play like we did against Norwich against lesser teams.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #918: Jan 31, 2013 09:37:34 am
      Let's be honest here, most would have signed a draw against arsenal at the emirates, especially after our  late performances
       we were good in the first half and scored  early, could have scored more
          I expected arsenal to put pressure on us in the second, but Hendo gave us a 2 goal lead after a good move from the reds
          we then retreated a bit to try and hold on to the advantage ,,,arsenal made a good pressure on us
       The first arsenal goal came from a freekick(which never was) which gave giraud a  clear free header and hear the defensive tactics are to blame IMO, the  second arsenal goal , well I don't think Pepe had any chance for it ,
             after that the game could have gone iether way,we could have lost , we could have scored  and won  too
         All in all I think it was a good game and a fair result, both teams had thier ups and downs in the 90 minutes
                Happy with the reds'  committment  and effort,
          Carra was brilliant  , but i gave my MOTM to Henderson  for the good game he had and for hi scommitment  all through the 90 minutes, and for the stick he got before , even from me

YNWA
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #919: Jan 31, 2013 09:39:17 am

Clarke was great at that id agree... But.. He wanted a job as no.1.. He wasnt going to hang around as no.2 after Kenny went..

I do agree though that defensively we are a mess at times.. It needs sorting out

Quick Reply