Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

David Beckham joins PSG to play for free

Read 14749 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      David Beckham joins PSG to play for free
      Jan 31, 2013 06:40:43 pm

David Beckham joins Paris St-Germain and will play for free

David Beckham has joined French Ligue 1 side Paris St-Germain and announced he will be playing for free.

The ex-England midfielder, 37, signed a five-month deal and said he would be donating his salary to charity.

"I'm excited, it's something we've been working on and talking about for quite a while," he said on Thursday.

"I won't receive any salary. My salary will go to a local children's charity. That's one of the things we are excited and proud to do."

He added: "It's something the guys [PSG management] do, but obviously it's a very good figure. That's one thing we're very excited about. To be able to give a huge sum to a children's charity in Paris is very special."

Beckham has been without a club since leaving MLS side LA Galaxy in December and has been training with Arsenal.

The former England captain had firm offers from 12 different clubs but has opted for Ligue 1's big spenders.

Despite recently announcing he was to permanently base his family in London, Beckham always said he would make a decision on his next move based on "footballing reasons".

PSG have spent more than £200m in the last 18 months, and are managed by Carlo Ancelotti - who was in charge of AC Milan during Beckham's loan spell there. They are also still in this season's Champions League and will face Spanish side Valencia in the last 16.

The Paris club are currently top of Ligue 1 and already have a squad that includes Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Lucas Moura and Ezequiel Lavezzi.

"I was lucky to work with Carlo and Leonardo [director of football] for a few months," Beckham said. "Carlo was one of the best managers I've played for so it's exciting on a number of levels.

"[Ibrahimovic] is one of the players I'm excited to play alongside. Ibra was someone I've watched for many years, in my early days playing for England against Sweden, and I always felt he could be one of the best players in the world.

"I watched a lot of games last year and a lot of games this season. There's a lot of talent in this team."

Beckham, who made a record 115 outfield appearances for England, was part of the Manchester United side that famously beat Bayern Munich to win the 1999 Champions League.

He left Old Trafford for Real Madrid in 2003, before agreeing his move to LA Galaxy in January 2007 and making his debut for the club in August in that year.

He attracted criticism from some Galaxy fans after agreeing loan moves to AC Milan in 2009 and 2010 which meant missing some of the MLS season.

And he brought an end to his five-and-a-half-year spell in the United States on 2 December after winning the MLS Cup for the second time.

At PSG, Beckham will be hoping to win a league title in a fourth country, having already enjoyed success at Manchester United and Real Madrid in Europe before moving to Major League Soccer.

Beckham had been close to joining PSG last January but opted to stay in California for one more season.

"I don't know if this will be my last contract," Beckham said.

"People have been speculating about that for a number of years, but I continue to play and sign contracts. I will see how I feel but I want to play as long as possible. My passion is football. It always has been. When I play football it is not about the biggest contract."

He also revealed that his sons Brooklyn, 13, Romeo, 10, and Cruz, seven, will stay in London to go to school along with his wife Victoria, 38, and their one-year-old daughter Harper.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21281665

What a beautiful gesture by a true gentleman. He's lived up to his icon status in every way. An incredible gesture that I only wish more could follow.
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Re: David Beckham joins PSG to play for free
      Reply #1: Jan 31, 2013 06:49:00 pm
      A fabulous gesture, no doubt!...but I dare say he will have his expenses & win bonuses etc that will not be part of his basic salary so he won't be losing out on anything!

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2: Jan 31, 2013 06:58:27 pm

David Beckham joins Paris St-Germain and will play for free

He also revealed that his sons Brooklyn, 13, Romeo, 10, and Cruz, seven, will stay in London to go to school along with his wife Victoria, 38, and their one-year-old daughter Harper.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21281665

What a beautiful gesture by a true gentleman. He's lived up to his icon status in every way. An incredible gesture that I only wish more could follow.

:lmao:

Oh dear, classic bit of tongue in cheek journalism.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Jan 31, 2013 07:10:48 pm
      Thought it was a fantastic gesture myself, its only 5 months of wages for a multi millionaire who won't want for anything in his lifetime in the grand scheme of things, but it shows the measure of the man as many other multi millionaires would take it and run.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #4: Jan 31, 2013 08:02:59 pm
      Perspective.

David Beckham Departs MLS After Earning $255 Million

Forbes

Don't get carried away with this "gesture".

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Jan 31, 2013 08:32:24 pm
      As I said mate, I'm under no ilusions about the collective wealth of the Beckhams, but still its a fantastic gesture, many other's would not donate the money.

To me it shows its all about his love and enjoyment for football now and he's giving basically giving everything back to a charity local to the club that's giving him the chance to play.

I prefer to look at the perspective of what that money will do for that specific charity and not the net worth of brand Beckham.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Jan 31, 2013 08:49:02 pm
      Doesn't matter what he's worth its the mere fact he has made the gesture, fair play to him.

If an ex red done it they'd be rightly praised from a height so should this man no matter who his ex club is or any other reason
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #7: Jan 31, 2013 09:00:25 pm
      Good gesture as long as he's doing it for totally the right reasons (ie not a publicity stunt).

I think it probably is honest though as he does seem like a decent bloke.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #8: Jan 31, 2013 09:04:11 pm
      Thought the press conference was a bit over the top considering it's a 37 year old on a free on a 5 month contract.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #9: Jan 31, 2013 09:07:48 pm
      Good on him.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #10: Jan 31, 2013 09:16:00 pm
      Perspective.

Forbes

And how is that relevant?

It's a great gesture and good on him.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #11: Jan 31, 2013 09:18:20 pm
      It was probably a no-lose situation: A worthy cause gets a massive donation, he avoids being taxed on it, and there could FFP implications (?? don't know ??). Everybody wins!

No matter what though, fantastic for the charity.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #12: Jan 31, 2013 09:23:03 pm
      Fantastic stuff.

I hope fellow footballers who are heading towards retirement follow suit.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: Jan 31, 2013 11:00:10 pm
      Perspective.

Forbes

That is totally irrelevent. A great gesture is a great gesture, regardless of how much money you have.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #14: Jan 31, 2013 11:23:50 pm
      So the Beckham circus rolls on to Paris!!

Great gesture, but still an over-hyped, over-rated manc tw*t!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #15: Jan 31, 2013 11:30:15 pm
      No doubt HR. Never seen why anyone would want him on his actual footballing ability but the gesture is all class. Well in Beckham.

Surprisingly as iconic as he is for the Mancs i never really had any ill-feeling towards him. This act makes me not dislike him even more.

Anyone know how much money would end up going to charity after his contract is up?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #16: Jan 31, 2013 11:41:46 pm
      Not like it will leave him short of a few quid is it! Thery have only signed him to boost their profile across the world.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #17: Jan 31, 2013 11:44:45 pm
      Surprisingly as iconic as he is for the Mancs i never really had any ill-feeling towards him. This act makes me not dislike him even more.

In the same boat as Gary Neville for me, when he came running down to celebrate in front of the Liverpool fans in 99 after they beat us in the FA Cup, hated by Liverpool fans during his time with the mancs.

Still love our various songs about his missus!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #18: Feb 01, 2013 12:32:15 am
      Hmm yeah forgot about that.

Still, if celebrating a Cup win over your rivals is as bad as it gets then he can't be all too bad.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #19: Feb 01, 2013 02:00:19 am
      Hmm yeah forgot about that.

Still, if celebrating a Cup win over your rivals is as bad as it gets then he can't be all too bad.

Not when running from one of the pitch to the other to deliberately wind our supporters up!! Gary Neville got enough sh*t for it, so St David doesn't get off with it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20: Feb 01, 2013 02:18:47 am
      Great gesture no matter his riches.

Long since stopped being a footballer.
      This is probably the last hurrah for Brand Beckham.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #21: Feb 01, 2013 02:31:11 am
      A worthy cause gets a massive donation,

Is he finally getting his missus some singing lessons!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #22: Feb 01, 2013 03:03:55 am
      Not when running from one of the pitch to the other to deliberately wind our supporters up!! Gary Neville got enough sh*t for it, so St David doesn't get off with it.

Suarez and Torres did the same thing. It's pretty normal for players to act like cu*ts against rival clubs.

Now you're making me sound like a Beckham lover :D
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #23: Feb 01, 2013 06:49:08 am
      Seems like a nice enough bloke.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #24: Feb 01, 2013 07:36:47 am
      Anyone know how much money would end up going to charity after his contract is up?

£3.3 million apparently, Crouchy.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #25: Feb 01, 2013 08:51:19 am
      Not like it will leave him short of a few quid is it! Thery have only signed him to boost their profile across the world.

Think you totally miss the point mate.

Its not about how much money he has.

Its about how much that money will help the charity he's chosen to donate it to.

That money will help to change peoples lives and for me its on par with Rafa donating to the HJC.

Rafa rightly got his plaudits and footballing tribalism aside, so should Beckham for a fantastic gesture.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #26: Feb 01, 2013 10:15:24 am
      £3.3 million apparently, Crouchy.

Jesus.

Awesome stuff.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #27: Feb 01, 2013 12:58:40 pm
      THE most overrated player of his generation does yet another move to get all the publicity on him. Ugh, what a master of marketing. If only he had the football skills to go along with it...
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      Reply #28: Feb 01, 2013 01:03:07 pm
      THE most overrated player of his generation does yet another move to get all the publicity on him. Ugh, what a master of marketing. If only he had the football skills to go along with it...

Unreal.

Hes the one man in the world who need do nothing and still have the public eye on him. Jesus Christ. You can throw all the conspiracy theories you want here but the only winner is the charity and thats all that counts. And if the "master of marketing" leads to other players followiung in his footsteps then thats a great bit of marketing and huge help to children in need
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #29: Feb 01, 2013 01:08:12 pm
      He's rich enough to give that money to charity without the need of publicity...
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #30: Feb 01, 2013 01:16:34 pm
      I don't see why it bothers you so much. It's a great gesture, regardless of the publicity involved.

He made the most of what he's got and done well for himself. What's the issue?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      Reply #31: Feb 01, 2013 01:17:36 pm

His move alone would have had him talked about he would be talked about for no reason at all he didnt need to do this for publicity. Cant believe your so petty about someone handing over 3.3 million to a kids charity he didnt have to nad he does a shed load of other things by the way. And probably  even more that nobody knows about.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #32: Feb 01, 2013 01:17:49 pm
      I don't see why it bothers you so much. It's a great gesture, regardless of the publicity involved.

He made the most of what he's got and done well for himself. What's the issue?

No issue, I think it's good of him.
      Doesn't take away the fact he is a master of marketing - in football and personal terms.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #33: Feb 01, 2013 01:19:42 pm
      His move alone would have had him talked about he would be talked about for no reason at all he didnt need to do this for publicity. Cant believe your so petty about someone handing over 3.3 million to a kids charity he didnt have to nad he does a shed load of other things by the way. And probably  even more that nobody knows about.

He could have taken the money from PSG and given it to the children anyway. I'm not criticizing him, but he is a marketing man.

Ayrton Senna gave millions of dollars to charity and people only got to know about it after his death. All he wanted was to help people, no need to improve his public image.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #34: Feb 01, 2013 01:22:14 pm
      Beckham was getting all the attention yesterday before it was revealed he was donating his salary anyway...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #35: Feb 01, 2013 01:28:45 pm
      Diego, how many people in football work for free for the sake of underprivileged children?

Marketing or not, it takes a special person to do what he did. He could of donated a % of it and got the same accolades but decided to give it all away.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #36: Feb 01, 2013 01:37:19 pm
      He could probably donate even more than that from his fortune. Don't forget he is still one of the best paid players in the whole world, up there with Messi and Ronaldo, despite being light years behind them in terms of ability, and making this kind of money for longer.

But there is a difference in donating £3.3M from your fortune to charity pure and simple and taking that same amount in wages and announce you're giving it all away - "working for free". Bigger impact.

Again, I'm not criticizing him. But he is what he is, more of a superstar than a football player.

sh*t signing for PSG by the way, but he'll sell shirts and score an occasional free kick - the media will say he's been brilliant.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #37: Feb 01, 2013 01:51:21 pm
      Look at it from a different perspective, if Rodgers had done the same and signed Beckham for the remainder of the season and Beckham donated his waged to the HJC would he betting criticised ?

No he wouldn't.

I couldn't care less how much money he has, who he used to play for and if he only done oit for publicity (which I don't think he did), I just look at it from the perspective of how many lives that money can help change.

Some will get it, some won't ever get it.
      Bier
      Reply #38: Feb 01, 2013 02:36:06 pm
      I'm not that bothered by this or Beckham in general. But I do understand where Diego is coming from. Beckham has been building his image and making money off of it more than anything, it's hard to see this seperate from that. The construction is obviously made out to be a PR stunt from both Beckham and PSG, otherwise he would've just pocketed those wages and gave it to charity in secret without the need of public recognition. I'd hope personally that many football players give money to charity without us knowing and them feeling the need to go public with it. Then again, a public person like Beckham can raise awareness of a specific charity, but that doesn't really seem the case here. Don't think that giving money in itself is a good way to do that either.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #39: Feb 01, 2013 03:00:34 pm
      Is he finally getting his missus some singing lessons!!

:lmao:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #40: Feb 01, 2013 03:09:29 pm
      Look at it from a different perspective, if Rodgers had done the same and signed Beckham for the remainder of the season and Beckham donated his waged to the HJC would he betting criticised ?

No he wouldn't.

I couldn't care less how much money he has, who he used to play for and if he only done oit for publicity (which I don't think he did), I just look at it from the perspective of how many lives that money can help change.

Some will get it, some won't ever get it.

Only stating the facts.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #41: Feb 01, 2013 03:11:07 pm
      I'm not that bothered by this or Beckham in general. But I do understand where Diego is coming from. Beckham has been building his image and making money off of it more than anything, it's hard to see this seperate from that. The construction is obviously made out to be a PR stunt from both Beckham and PSG, otherwise he would've just pocketed those wages and gave it to charity in secret without the need of public recognition. I'd hope personally that many football players give money to charity without us knowing and them feeling the need to go public with it. Then again, a public person like Beckham can raise awareness of a specific charity, but that doesn't really seem the case here. Don't think that giving money in itself is a good way to do that either.

Exactly. Got to agree about the last sentence too - sometimes just giving money away isn't the best way to apply your resources in charity.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #42: Feb 01, 2013 03:39:16 pm

To be honest Diego it would onl be stating facts if you knew his reason for doing it.

We can all presume his reasons, but we can't say factually.

I admire the gesture what ever his reasons.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #43: Feb 01, 2013 03:48:41 pm
      Don't get any criticism of this. Good gesture and hopefully sets a precedent for other of the games top stars to do similar things on their way out.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #44: Feb 01, 2013 06:45:12 pm
      Gesture?
      What gesture?

When you do something for personal gain, there is NO gesture.

With the income tax rate in France being what it is, this is no more than a PR exercise for him, and I'll bet that he is getting royalties from shirt sales overseas paid directly into an offshore account.
      I'll go a step further, and bet that his income from shirt sales and other merchandise will earn him far in excess of what he is supposedly giving to charity, which in fact is actually the club giving to charity.

Another self aggrandizing, self promoting PR stunt from a player who was lucky enough to have a slick PR team from a relatively young age.

I also agree with Diego, he's the most overrated player of his generation.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #45: Feb 01, 2013 09:26:51 pm
      No matter what way you look at this, cynically or not, he is giving all of his wages to a childrens charity.

Much respect Mr Beckham.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #46: Feb 01, 2013 09:30:21 pm
      , hated by Liverpool fans during his time with the mancs.

Neville and Beckham are arguably my two most respected Mancs despite me thinking differently about them in the past.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #47: Feb 01, 2013 09:30:36 pm
      It's a great gesture... Really is.. At the end of the day will those kids be better off in 6 months? Of course so its a good thing

However I kind of wish we didn't know right now, in a years time it could have been "leaked" by his people to the press and he gets the publicity he wants and even more respect that we haven't found out until after its all done.

But the most important thing is that the kids will benefit and that's a good thing
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #48: Feb 01, 2013 09:33:49 pm
      It's a great gesture... Really is.. At the end of the day will those kids be better off in 6 months? Of course so its a good thing

However I kind of wish we didn't know right now, in a years time it could have been "leaked" by his people to the press and he gets the publicity he wants and even more respect that we haven't found out until after its all done.

But the most important thing is that the kids will benefit and that's a good thing

Fair point Jon but I think he would have got criticism for this no matter when it came out as it would always have the air of publicity about it.
      « Last Edit: Feb 01, 2013 09:44:26 pm by srslfc »
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #49: Feb 01, 2013 09:35:48 pm
      Fair point JOn but I think he would have got criticism for this no matter when it came out as it would always have the air of publicity about it.

Guess so Si

End of the day publicity or not that charity and those kids wil benefit.. That's the main thing.

Mr Beckham will get his knighthood eventually anyway im sure
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #50: Feb 01, 2013 09:45:25 pm
      Mr Beckham will get his knighthood eventually anyway im sure

I think that much was a cert even without this to be honest.

I feel they're just waiting on him hanging up his boots.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #51: Feb 01, 2013 10:41:43 pm
      Hat's off to the man. Don't understand the negativity. It's his money to donate. If he wants to do it, good luck to him.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #52: Feb 01, 2013 10:45:53 pm
      Ballotelli would have got more praise for stuffing £40k down a strippers thong.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #53: Feb 01, 2013 11:40:12 pm

He could have taken the money from PSG and given it to the children anyway. I'm not criticizing him, but he is a marketing man.

Ayrton Senna gave millions of dollars to charity and people only got to know about it after his death. All he wanted was to help people, no need to improve his public image.

Agree with the fact that it doesn't have to be known but I think in the context of his past deeds it is the deed of a good man over a marketing man. I remember a couple of years back him travelling out to Afghanistan to meet the troops there. He didn't have to but he pursued the trip himself until he got the opportunity to. More so, his work with UNICEF the past few years has been absolutely outstanding, much of which hasn't been publicised on a large scale. If this was Joey Barton then I would think the same way as you but because of his excellent history with charity, particularly children's charity, I just can't entertain such cynical thought. I definitely believe you can market image into your favour and everything, but you cannot market the firm goodwill of an individual. That is something above the realms of money. He deserves our utmost respect.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #54: Feb 02, 2013 12:30:28 am
      Him and Zlatan have a history don't they? Will be interesting to see how they get on
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #55: Feb 02, 2013 01:18:09 am

I agree with this, while I wont criticise him and do respect him for giving to charity I'd respect him an awful lot more if he did this in private (I know the irony there as I probably would never know about it, but you know these things eventually come out) rather than play it out in the public eye.

There are many rich philanthropists who don't feel the need to be thanked and adored for their giving, not that I'm suggesting this is Beckham's motive but it certainly muddies the motives that's for sure and could quite easily have been avoided.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #56: Feb 02, 2013 08:05:31 am
      I agree with this, while I wont criticise him and do respect him for giving to charity I'd respect him an awful lot more if he did this in private (I know the irony there as I probably would never know about it, but you know these things eventually come out) rather than play it out in the public eye.

There are many rich philanthropists who don't feel the need to be thanked and adored for their giving, not that I'm suggesting this is Beckham's motive but it certainly muddies the motives that's for sure and could quite easily have been avoided.

Announcing it is of course a piece of image management but I don't think that really matters or cheapens the gesture. In fact I think its a good thing it was made public as it might encourage other top footballers to do the same when their career is winding down and they've already made enough to look after their loved ones.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #57: Feb 02, 2013 09:31:38 am
      Ian Herbert: Behind the Parisian glitter, David Beckham may really fear the floodlights failing
      The Bentley pulled into the car park a good 20 minutes late on Monday lunchtime and there was a time, when the whole world wanted a piece of him, that we would have been lucky to see its driver at all. This time, it was just a minor domestic commitment which had sent Ricky Hatton's timetable adrift and after he had walked past the table of sausage rolls and curly sandwiches, completed his scheduled appearance and finally got down to talking, you could not fail to be hit by the crater-sized hole in the diminished life of a man who held sport in his grip and will not do again.

It's a cynical business which preoccupies us in this section of the newspaper and there's been no lack of that where the arrival in Paris of David Beckham is concerned. Depending on your grade of scepticism, he's a clothes horse for shirts, a piece of brand equity or simply un people to quote the weird new franglais for "celebrity". But while it's a long way from the Parc des Princes to Hatton's fitness centre, just beyond the top traffic lights in the Market Street in Hyde, it was hard, so soon after hearing Hatton out, not to wonder if a little piece of Beckham just wants to stop the floodlights failing for a little while longer.

The Hatton conversation actually turned out to be a decent piece of newspaper property: Ricky talking for the first time since his Vyacheslav Senchenko fight about how life's gone on and yes, since you might ask, he says that he's fine, feels like he has conquered his depression, is about to be a father for the third time. "I'm content. There's nothing more I want to achieve." At least, those are the words in my notebook. It's the look in a man's eyes that you can't write down, when he's perched on the side of a ring in front of you, surrounded by the framed bills, nailed to the walls, which tell the story of the nights and the fights that will never come back. Ricky v Kostya Tszyu in Manchester – the first proper world title fight and his one crowning glory; Ricky v Floyd Mayweather; Ricky v Manny Pacquiao, that box office sensation which promised to catapult Hatton into the big-money league and instead plunged him into a depression as vicious as the Filipino's knockout punch. "Life slows down now. Yes, it's all about making a family," Hatton told me, nodding his head a little too vigorously.

The story of the player or fighter coming to terms with the end is one of the most enduring and it's hard not to pry. Only those who have taken the step into what lies beyond can really tell it. It's fully 20 years since Bob Latchford described it to me in a way that still resonates. "There's nothing to prepare you," he said. "The empty hours, the Saturday lunchtimes destroying you. All you can do is try to think ahead to how you'll fill the days and how you'll move on, but you're fooling yourself. In some ways what you've lost is the simplicity of life and the routines."

At the time, David Bairstow had just taken his own life, seven years after his retirement from a way of cricket life which was perhaps irreplaceable for him.

The story of Darren Eadie, told in this newspaper by fellow pro James Scowcroft, was the most compelling football chronicle of last year for my money, only adding weight to the notion that there are two tragedies in life: the one of failing to meet your goals, and the other of succeeding. You run a pub, you do the after-dinner circuit, but even for those who continue to flourish, as Beckham surely will, a light goes out. The crater was so big for Eadie that he would go into Norwich, walk around seeing others so happy and feel so demolished that the panic attacks stopped him even driving home.

The debate is how long to put your powers to the test. You felt Beckham protested a bit too much on Thursday when he insisted that "I can run around and play just like I was a 21-year-old" and insisted that he had not lost pace "because I was never a player who had much pace". He may actually play no more than five games for his new employers, with the Reims, Rennes and Montpelliers of Ligue 1 probably the target, though his old friend Gary Neville can tell him the story of half-time in the dressing -room toilet at The Hawthorns on New Year's Day last year after he'd just spent 45 minutes making "Jerome Thomas look like Ronaldo," in the words of his immensely fine biography. He never played again.

"The essence of sport is that while you're doing it nothing else matters but after you stop there is a place, generally not very important, where you put it," Sir Roger Bannister once said. And that is because the brand equity can never hold a torch to the turf and the floodlights. Once you have stepped from the ring, there is nothing but a life on the outside of the ropes, telling the world that you're fine.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/ian-herbert-behind-the-parisian-glitter-david-beckham-may-really-fear-the-floodlights-failing-8477970.html
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #58: Feb 02, 2013 09:41:12 am
      Cheers for that WAHS, absolutely believe there is a lot of truth in that article and it's extremely well written, manages to draw you into their world for a second or two.
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #59: Feb 02, 2013 10:02:56 am
      It is a nice gesture, no doubt somewhat cynical, its been muted if he'd have come back to England the proceeds would have gone to a charity from where he grew up....just saying
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #60: Feb 02, 2013 10:23:17 am
      It is a nice gesture, no doubt somewhat cynical, its been muted if he'd have come back to England the proceeds would have gone to a charity from where he grew up....just saying

Not so sure it would have mate, if it was always his idea to donate the wages to a charity local to the club that employed him, then I think he'd have followed the same route.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #61: Feb 02, 2013 10:35:20 am
      Probably never before has a man got so much criticism for giving money to charity.

Over £4M to help children.

No matter what we feel about Beckham this is one thing he doesn't deserve criticism for in my view.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #62: Feb 02, 2013 10:58:33 am
      Gesture?
      What gesture?

With the income tax rate in France being what it is, this is no more than a PR exercise for him, and I'll bet that he is getting royalties from shirt sales overseas paid directly into an offshore account.
      I'll go a step further, and bet that his income from shirt sales and other merchandise will earn him far in excess of what he is supposedly giving to charity, which in fact is actually the club giving to charity.

Another self aggrandizing, self promoting PR stunt from a player who was lucky enough to have a slick PR team from a relatively young age.

The gesture of giving 4mill to a kids charity. That gesture.
      Whatever his motives that will massively change lives and allow that charity to expand their work. You work in business. Everyone gets it. So stop banging on about it in every post, who cares why he's done it? The point is that he did do it.

Can't get my head around such a brutal piece of criticism of him for doing that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #63: Feb 02, 2013 12:08:09 pm
      Diego, how many people in football work for free for the sake of underprivileged children?

Quite a lot you will find, just that some do it without the need for the whole world to know about it!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #64: Feb 02, 2013 12:11:44 pm
      Ballotelli would have got more praise for stuffing £40k down a strippers thong.

He's the much of a loon he'd just hand it to a tramp on the street.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #65: Feb 02, 2013 12:15:35 pm
      Quite a lot you will find, just that some do it without the need for the whole world to know about it!

I get that. Totally get it. Fact is though he is giving his wages to a charity which is more than a hell of a lot would even think about doing.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #66: Feb 02, 2013 06:40:32 pm
      BYR PÅ BECKHAM
      Ørn Kristiania er en klubb for og av Hortensfolk.I dette tilfellet har likevel klubbens styre gått med på å gjøre et unntak, for ingen ringere enn David Beckham.

Etter 3. plass i fjorårets 8. Divisjon i Oslo er Ørn klare i sitt bud til verdensstjernen, på at de ikke kan stille med de store økonomiske fristelsene, men håper at det sosiale miljøet i klubben vil veie opp hos en aldrende velstående engelskmann.

(se det skriftlige budet lengst ned i artikkelen)

Beckham vil kunne heve oss

Tross sin voksne fotballalder på 38 år er Ørn Kristianias nyansatte trener Stig Strand likevel klar på at Beckham vil kunne heve Ørn-laget, hvis han er beredt til å slåss for plassen som alle andre.

- Per i dag har vi mange gode, og ikke minst særdeles hyggelige folk på midtbanen. Beckham vil bygge opp under luksusproblemet vårt, så sant han leverer på trening. Jeg har stor tro på at han kan heve laget på sitt beste.

Treningsvillig gruppe

Spillende trener Strand har selv vært en del av spillergruppa i to år og er ikke i tvil om at dette var det rette tidspunktet å kontakte Beckham på.

- - Vi har den beste og ivrigste stallen så langt. Dersom Beckham noen gang skal spille i brunt er dette definitivt den beste muligheten han får, sier Strand entuasiastisk.

Ørn-pin i sign-on-fee

Ørn Kristianias formann Martin Sjøblom Roppestad er klar på at klubben ikke kan skilte med det beste økonomiske tilbudet til midtbaneeleganten, men tror at Ørn stiller i særklasse hva gjelder sosialt miljø.

- - Økonomisk budsjetterer vi med et overskudd på 700 kr i år, men det sosiale miljøet i spillergruppa står til europeisk toppklasse. Dette er gutter som virkelig ofrer seg for klubben og hverandre. Med hjertet i Horten og Ørn blør de virkelig for æren på kamp og trening.

Roppestad har likevel noe å tilby spilleren, med 115 kamper for det engelske landslaget.

- Han vil måtte betale medlemskontingent, der skiller vi ikke på noen. Men til gjengjeld får han smykke dressjakka si med en eksklusiv Ørn Kristiania-pin, som ikke er mange forunt. I tillegg har spillende trener Aleksander Eriksen gitt avkall på sin syver-drakt, så Beckham får spille i sitt favorittnummer fra tida i Manchester United.

Ørn Kristiania er dermed èn av 13 klubber som har lagt inn bud på David Beckham. Han har de siste dagene trent med Arsenal for å holde formen ved like, men Londonklubben skal ikke være blant de 13 interesserte.

Hvorvidt han blir Ørn-spiller vet vi først i kveld kl 24:00.

http://www.ornkristiania.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112:byr-pa-beckham&catid=35:nyheter&Itemid=28

Basically...

Norwegian 8th division club made serious bid for David Beckham: offered No.7 shirt and free sports bag!

Shortly before David Beckham decided to spend the next five months of his life swanning around Paris, the following document -- a lucrative contract offer from Norwegian eighth division club FK Orn Kristiania -- landed on the desk of his representatives in Los Angeles.

They may not have quite as much to their name as Qatar-funded PSG, but you can hardly accuse FK Orn of holding back in their attempts to lure Beckham away from the French capital -- throwing several incredibly tempting 'sweetners' his way, including a discounted club members' fee, first dibs on their No.7 shirt (Jeremy Menez is currently hogging PSG's), a lapel button/badge and... wait for it... an official FK Orn Kristiania sports holdall!

If you were Beckham, you would, wouldn't you?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/thetoepoke/id/1827?cc=5901
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #67: Feb 04, 2013 07:56:58 pm
      A lovely gesture. PSG have probably pulled off the largest marketing stunt in the history of football but at least a charity is benefitting greatly from it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #68: Feb 06, 2013 12:22:07 pm
      A nice bit of lolly gong to charity, great, I am all for that. But, lets get it into perspective, his image/media/commercial rights will be massive. The main reason he has done it of course is because he will be working in France, he has to declare his worldwide income and he would be taxed on ALL of it at the current rate of that country...so he saves money and also makes more than any of us will see in a lifetime. Win win. The title of the thread is misleading at best. Oh, and he swerves becoming automatically domocile in France by 1 month, he could have ended up in a situation paying 75% tax. What is the difference from a large corporation (starbucks etc..) avoiding tax and Beckham? nothing at all, he is a large corporation avoiding paying tax!

Exactly...

Let's not forget his major income are not the wages he is paid by his clubs, but all the money he makes with marketing and other contracts.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #69: Feb 06, 2013 12:35:26 pm
      Gesture?
      What gesture?

Yep totally agree.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #70: Feb 06, 2013 02:34:43 pm
      @LeanderOnFOX

Hate to gloat, but according to The Times and Le Parisien, Beckham's "philanthropy" was indeed designed to shield income from French taxes.

Don't have access to the Times. Is there any truth in that?
      Bier
      Reply #71: Feb 06, 2013 03:20:03 pm
      @LeanderOnFOX

Hate to gloat, but according to The Times and Le Parisien, Beckham's "philanthropy" was indeed designed to shield income from French taxes.

Don't have access to the Times. Is there any truth in that?

Read this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/christinasettimi/2013/02/05/so-what-if-david-beckham-is-donating-his-salary-to-charity-to-avoid-paying-taxes/
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #72: Feb 06, 2013 05:34:04 pm
      Whatever reason he did it a childrens charity is still going to benefit from over £4M.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #73: Feb 06, 2013 06:35:55 pm
      I honestly don't see why he is being lauded for scamming the country where he is working out of tax by using a cynical publicity stunt.

I'm still willing to bet that he will earn huge amounts which are then funneled to an offshore account through a share of merchandising, probably using a scam using the country where the shirts are made.

Am I happy that a charity will benefit from this? Yes, of course, but to paint this tw*t as some sort of saint, when his motives are far from altruistic entirely misses the point, especially when some of the same people who are praising him for it are the same people who were up in arms about corporate tax avoidance in this country.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #74: Feb 06, 2013 09:46:53 pm

And how do we know he hasn't already?

To be fair, if Stevie was doing something like this people would want him made king of England ;D

Couldn't care less about whether it's about publicity or not, it's a nice gesture that I haven't seen any other footballers do.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #75: Feb 07, 2013 03:47:35 pm
      Look, it is not a "nice gesture" and he is not doing it out of the goodness of his heart. Think of Beckham as a company, that is what he is. Now, hundreds of thousands of companies "give" money to charities but it doesn't mean it's a nice gesture, they do it because their accountants tell them it's a way of evading tax, to bring them under a certain threshold. A nice gesture for charities, is people who get off their arse everyday and actually go out and help the people who need the help. Why would he make it public? especially in a press conference to the world? He is trying to make out he is some sort of a saint and people get sucked in. YES, and I know that charity benefits, we get it, and you may say that you don't care as long as charities benefit...tosh! Lost for words.

David Beckham is not a saint and no amount of charity would make me think otherwise. My two points are this and I'll leave you all to debate the degradation of the human condition.

1) No one knows how much or how little he and/or his wife give to charity, there could be things that he doesn't report that the public could never know about, or he could give nothing and this could be exactly what people say it is, a publicity stunt. Point being we don't know for sure so I'll wait to pass judgement. Not to mention, how exactly would you keep this under wraps if you wanted to? PSG isn't going to pass up on the opportunity to publicize it, someone always talks.

2) Irregardless of the intent, that's a hell of a lot of money going to charity and I don't see any other footballers in the twilight of their career doing the same. Charity wins in this situation and it's not like there is anything diabolical about it. If Beckham evades some taxes oh well...I'm sure every single one of you  would be lining up to pay your fair share even if you had a way to avoid it?? I'm not saint, neither is Beckham and neither are any of you.

Luke 6:42 comes to mind....;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #76: Feb 08, 2013 06:53:25 am
      David Beckham is not a saint and no amount of charity would make me think otherwise. My two points are this and I'll leave you all to debate the degradation of the human condition.

1) No one knows how much or how little he and/or his wife give to charity, there could be things that he doesn't report that the public could never know about, or he could give nothing and this could be exactly what people say it is, a publicity stunt. Point being we don't know for sure so I'll wait to pass judgement. Not to mention, how exactly would you keep this under wraps if you wanted to? PSG isn't going to pass up on the opportunity to publicize it, someone always talks.

2) Irregardless of the intent, that's a hell of a lot of money going to charity and I don't see any other footballers in the twilight of their career doing the same. Charity wins in this situation and it's not like there is anything diabolical about it. If Beckham evades some taxes oh well...I'm sure every single one of you  would be lining up to pay your fair share even if you had a way to avoid it?? I'm not saint, neither is Beckham and neither are any of you.

Luke 6:42 comes to mind....;)
      I would imagine that PSG will pay any money into Beckhams bank account and will not have an inkling how he dispenses it to whatever charity  he wants.At the end of the day it will have nothing to do with PSG what he does with the cash.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #77: Feb 24, 2013 07:13:36 pm

Philippe Auclair, England correspondent for France Football magazine, provides the BBC with a glimpse into the game, saying: "Marseille thinks that it is a bit outside of France, in a world of its own -
      a little bit like Liverpool does -
      and that by confronting Paris, it's like the two French capitals fighting against one another.

Strange comment 24/02/2013  on BBC Sport before the PSG Marseille  game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21566835
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #78: Feb 25, 2013 12:41:46 pm

Philippe Auclair, England correspondent for France Football magazine, provides the BBC with a glimpse into the game, saying: "Marseille thinks that it is a bit outside of France, in a world of its own -
      a little bit like Liverpool does -
      and that by confronting Paris, it's like the two French capitals fighting against one another.

Strange comment 24/02/2013  on BBC Sport before the PSG Marseille  game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21566835

Not at all, a bit like the way scousers think they're a little bit different from the rest of the english idiots in England, so too do those from Marseille think they are different from the rest of the French.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #79: Feb 25, 2013 01:06:12 pm
      Not at all, a bit like the way scousers think they're a little bit different from the rest of the english idiots in England, so too do those from Marseille think they are different from the rest of the French.

In a nutshell mate, does sound like they set themselves apart from le bellends en France.
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2013 01:21:38 pm by stuey »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #80: Feb 25, 2013 06:07:18 pm
      In a nutshell mate, does sound like they set themselves apart from le bellends en France.

... and I av ad the plaisir to leev wiz ze belle ends de France.

I would tell you about the bi*ch on the Ferry last week but the ferry company would sue me.

I just thought it was  a strange digression from reporting of the match.

Strange but yes quite possibly true especially with Joey B in the mix.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #81: Apr 28, 2013 11:50:15 pm
      Straight red for Beckham tonight followed up by a fight between both sides at the final whistle. Awaiting headlines on the news and Cameron quotes...... As if!!!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #82: Apr 29, 2013 12:43:44 am
      F**k the ex Manc don't see why he deserves his own thread.

I bet you behind the nice guy image there is a Ryan Giggs, Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong  type lifestyle behind him.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #83: Apr 29, 2013 04:38:30 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #84: Apr 29, 2013 04:42:10 pm
      I bet you behind the nice guy image there is a Ryan Giggs, Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong  type lifestyle behind him.

How dare you say that about this gentleman? A lord on the pitch, he is.

;D

By the way, slightly off-topic but this is a very good read on the myth of the perfect athlete as a role model for society:

Dangerous myth of the role model athlete
      The sports-industrial complex should be shrunk before it destroys society

Way back in 2008, the three most admired personalities in sport were probably Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong and Oscar Pistorius. They were portrayed not just as great athletes but as great men, role models: Woods was the ultimate professional, Armstrong had overcome cancer to rule cycling, and the double amputee Pistorius had become an outstanding sprinter. It later turned out that Woods was a serial adulterer, Armstrong a drugs cheat, and on Thursday in South Africa Pistorius was charged with murdering his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. His family and management have disputed the accusation “in the strongest terms”.

Any sentient person over the age of eight already knew that great athletes are not necessarily role models. That’s not what the scandals have taught us. Rather, we can see now that the sports-industrial complex – the machine of media and advertising that cranks out myths about athletes – has gone into overdrive. As with investment banking it might be time to shrink it before it destroys society.

Like most modern industries, the sports-industrial complex arose in the US. Its operatives understood that if people viewed great athletes merely as ordinary humans with one unusual gift, hardly anyone would bother following sport. So, drawing on a myth that goes back at least to the English novel Tom Brown’s Schooldays (1857), it was proclaimed that sportsmen possessed special moral characteristics. Athletes were determined, they sacrificed, they “took one for the team”.

The sports-industrial complex was already pumping out stories about American athletes who loved their mamas and drank the right soft drink while Europe’s best footballers were still taking the tram to work.

Even 20 years ago, the fantasy of the athlete as role model was sufficiently widespread in the US that the basketball player Charles Barkley could say in a commercial: “I am not a role model. I am not paid to be a role model ... I am paid to wreak havoc on a basketball court.” In truth, he was merely presenting himself as a different type of role model: a rebellious “bad boy” able to compete with rappers for the lucrative teen market.

From the early 1990s, satellite TV and then the internet promoted sport globally, taking the sports-industrial complex with it. Its role models are now marketed worldwide. In interviews and commercials – spot the difference – Armstrong fought cancer, Pistorius fought for the disabled, and Woods fought for the global consulting and outsourcing firm Accenture.

Male athletes have taken over roles once held by knights, saints and soldiers. They represent the masculine ideal. (Female athletes remain less saleable, unless very pretty.) In today’s vast mythmaking enterprise, the athletes serve only as raw material to be transformed from humans into paragons. All the athletes need to do is parrot the myth. “My example can be an inspiration to those who, like me, have experienced and struggled with a physical problem,” writes Pistorius in his autobiography, Blade Runner . “This can also be true for others who have had to overcome obstacles of a different nature.” He was a role model for all humanity.

The sports-industrial complex lacks imagination. Anyone stuffed into its machine comes out sounding like the offspring of Cinderella and the Soviet workaholic Stakhanov. There is a standard story – hero overcomes adversity (cancer, loss of legs, etc) through willpower – that is also a parable proclaiming the values of capitalism: hard work and discipline lead to wealth.

Sporting myths have become so stereotyped that any sportswriter or advertiser can whip one up in 20 minutes. The US college football player Manti Te’o recently saved everyone the trouble by coming up with his own myth. He said his girlfriend and grandmother had died almost simultaneously, whereupon he had overcome adversity. This story was endlessly retold – until it emerged that Te’o had made it up. He had brilliantly satirised the sports-industrial complex.

The mythmaking only gets louder, yet the ability of athletes to live up to these myths is diminishing. In real life, they are becoming less exemplary. That’s because in many sports it’s now almost a professional obligation to take drugs; because athletes as masculine ideals have boundless opportunities for adultery; and because they have got used to everyone saying yes to them, which means they often struggle with challenging human situations. Moreover, the sports-industrial complex now selects its heroes so young (Woods was identified age two) that they have little unprotected experience of life.

Athletes’ brands are being stretched ever further just as they themselves become narrower people. Yet when the athlete predictably falls, the sports-industrial complex is dismayed. “So many people feel let down by his behaviour,” lamented Time magazine after Woods’s exposure – as if people could cope with war, unemployment and climate change, but go to pieces when a golfer commits adultery.

There are now vacancies for role models to replace Woods, Armstrong, Pistorius, Te’o, and Ryan Giggs, the most admired man in English football’s Premier League until his complicated sex life was revealed. Replacements will be found – and later will fall. Only the sports- industrial complex goes on forever.

Simon Kuper - Financial Times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #85: Apr 29, 2013 08:48:46 pm
      Showing he is still a dirty Manc at heart then I see, except he didn't get away with it.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #86: Apr 30, 2013 11:36:49 am

Quick Reply