Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

David Beckham joins PSG to play for free

Read 14627 times
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Re: David Beckham joins PSG to play for free
      Reply #23: Feb 01, 2013 06:49:08 am
      Seems like a nice enough bloke.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #24: Feb 01, 2013 07:36:47 am
      Anyone know how much money would end up going to charity after his contract is up?

£3.3 million apparently, Crouchy.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #25: Feb 01, 2013 08:51:19 am
      Not like it will leave him short of a few quid is it! Thery have only signed him to boost their profile across the world.

Think you totally miss the point mate.

Its not about how much money he has.

Its about how much that money will help the charity he's chosen to donate it to.

That money will help to change peoples lives and for me its on par with Rafa donating to the HJC.

Rafa rightly got his plaudits and footballing tribalism aside, so should Beckham for a fantastic gesture.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #26: Feb 01, 2013 10:15:24 am
      £3.3 million apparently, Crouchy.

Jesus.

Awesome stuff.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #27: Feb 01, 2013 12:58:40 pm
      THE most overrated player of his generation does yet another move to get all the publicity on him. Ugh, what a master of marketing. If only he had the football skills to go along with it...
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #28: Feb 01, 2013 01:03:07 pm
      THE most overrated player of his generation does yet another move to get all the publicity on him. Ugh, what a master of marketing. If only he had the football skills to go along with it...

Unreal.

Hes the one man in the world who need do nothing and still have the public eye on him. Jesus Christ. You can throw all the conspiracy theories you want here but the only winner is the charity and thats all that counts. And if the "master of marketing" leads to other players followiung in his footsteps then thats a great bit of marketing and huge help to children in need
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #29: Feb 01, 2013 01:08:12 pm
      He's rich enough to give that money to charity without the need of publicity...
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #30: Feb 01, 2013 01:16:34 pm
      I don't see why it bothers you so much. It's a great gesture, regardless of the publicity involved.

He made the most of what he's got and done well for himself. What's the issue?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #31: Feb 01, 2013 01:17:36 pm

His move alone would have had him talked about he would be talked about for no reason at all he didnt need to do this for publicity. Cant believe your so petty about someone handing over 3.3 million to a kids charity he didnt have to nad he does a shed load of other things by the way. And probably  even more that nobody knows about.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #32: Feb 01, 2013 01:17:49 pm
      I don't see why it bothers you so much. It's a great gesture, regardless of the publicity involved.

He made the most of what he's got and done well for himself. What's the issue?

No issue, I think it's good of him.
      Doesn't take away the fact he is a master of marketing - in football and personal terms.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #33: Feb 01, 2013 01:19:42 pm
      His move alone would have had him talked about he would be talked about for no reason at all he didnt need to do this for publicity. Cant believe your so petty about someone handing over 3.3 million to a kids charity he didnt have to nad he does a shed load of other things by the way. And probably  even more that nobody knows about.

He could have taken the money from PSG and given it to the children anyway. I'm not criticizing him, but he is a marketing man.

Ayrton Senna gave millions of dollars to charity and people only got to know about it after his death. All he wanted was to help people, no need to improve his public image.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #34: Feb 01, 2013 01:22:14 pm
      Beckham was getting all the attention yesterday before it was revealed he was donating his salary anyway...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #35: Feb 01, 2013 01:28:45 pm
      Diego, how many people in football work for free for the sake of underprivileged children?

Marketing or not, it takes a special person to do what he did. He could of donated a % of it and got the same accolades but decided to give it all away.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #36: Feb 01, 2013 01:37:19 pm
      He could probably donate even more than that from his fortune. Don't forget he is still one of the best paid players in the whole world, up there with Messi and Ronaldo, despite being light years behind them in terms of ability, and making this kind of money for longer.

But there is a difference in donating £3.3M from your fortune to charity pure and simple and taking that same amount in wages and announce you're giving it all away - "working for free". Bigger impact.

Again, I'm not criticizing him. But he is what he is, more of a superstar than a football player.

sh*t signing for PSG by the way, but he'll sell shirts and score an occasional free kick - the media will say he's been brilliant.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #37: Feb 01, 2013 01:51:21 pm
      Look at it from a different perspective, if Rodgers had done the same and signed Beckham for the remainder of the season and Beckham donated his waged to the HJC would he betting criticised ?

No he wouldn't.

I couldn't care less how much money he has, who he used to play for and if he only done oit for publicity (which I don't think he did), I just look at it from the perspective of how many lives that money can help change.

Some will get it, some won't ever get it.
      Bier
      Reply #38: Feb 01, 2013 02:36:06 pm
      I'm not that bothered by this or Beckham in general. But I do understand where Diego is coming from. Beckham has been building his image and making money off of it more than anything, it's hard to see this seperate from that. The construction is obviously made out to be a PR stunt from both Beckham and PSG, otherwise he would've just pocketed those wages and gave it to charity in secret without the need of public recognition. I'd hope personally that many football players give money to charity without us knowing and them feeling the need to go public with it. Then again, a public person like Beckham can raise awareness of a specific charity, but that doesn't really seem the case here. Don't think that giving money in itself is a good way to do that either.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #39: Feb 01, 2013 03:00:34 pm
      Is he finally getting his missus some singing lessons!!

:lmao:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #40: Feb 01, 2013 03:09:29 pm
      Look at it from a different perspective, if Rodgers had done the same and signed Beckham for the remainder of the season and Beckham donated his waged to the HJC would he betting criticised ?

No he wouldn't.

I couldn't care less how much money he has, who he used to play for and if he only done oit for publicity (which I don't think he did), I just look at it from the perspective of how many lives that money can help change.

Some will get it, some won't ever get it.

Only stating the facts.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #41: Feb 01, 2013 03:11:07 pm
      I'm not that bothered by this or Beckham in general. But I do understand where Diego is coming from. Beckham has been building his image and making money off of it more than anything, it's hard to see this seperate from that. The construction is obviously made out to be a PR stunt from both Beckham and PSG, otherwise he would've just pocketed those wages and gave it to charity in secret without the need of public recognition. I'd hope personally that many football players give money to charity without us knowing and them feeling the need to go public with it. Then again, a public person like Beckham can raise awareness of a specific charity, but that doesn't really seem the case here. Don't think that giving money in itself is a good way to do that either.

Exactly. Got to agree about the last sentence too - sometimes just giving money away isn't the best way to apply your resources in charity.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #42: Feb 01, 2013 03:39:16 pm

To be honest Diego it would onl be stating facts if you knew his reason for doing it.

We can all presume his reasons, but we can't say factually.

I admire the gesture what ever his reasons.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #43: Feb 01, 2013 03:48:41 pm
      Don't get any criticism of this. Good gesture and hopefully sets a precedent for other of the games top stars to do similar things on their way out.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #44: Feb 01, 2013 06:45:12 pm
      Gesture?
      What gesture?

When you do something for personal gain, there is NO gesture.

With the income tax rate in France being what it is, this is no more than a PR exercise for him, and I'll bet that he is getting royalties from shirt sales overseas paid directly into an offshore account.
      I'll go a step further, and bet that his income from shirt sales and other merchandise will earn him far in excess of what he is supposedly giving to charity, which in fact is actually the club giving to charity.

Another self aggrandizing, self promoting PR stunt from a player who was lucky enough to have a slick PR team from a relatively young age.

I also agree with Diego, he's the most overrated player of his generation.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #45: Feb 01, 2013 09:26:51 pm
      No matter what way you look at this, cynically or not, he is giving all of his wages to a childrens charity.

Much respect Mr Beckham.

Quick Reply