Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

David Beckham joins PSG to play for free

Read 14756 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: David Beckham joins PSG to play for free
      Reply #46: Feb 01, 2013 09:30:21 pm
      , hated by Liverpool fans during his time with the mancs.

Neville and Beckham are arguably my two most respected Mancs despite me thinking differently about them in the past.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #47: Feb 01, 2013 09:30:36 pm
      It's a great gesture... Really is.. At the end of the day will those kids be better off in 6 months? Of course so its a good thing

However I kind of wish we didn't know right now, in a years time it could have been "leaked" by his people to the press and he gets the publicity he wants and even more respect that we haven't found out until after its all done.

But the most important thing is that the kids will benefit and that's a good thing
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #48: Feb 01, 2013 09:33:49 pm
      It's a great gesture... Really is.. At the end of the day will those kids be better off in 6 months? Of course so its a good thing

However I kind of wish we didn't know right now, in a years time it could have been "leaked" by his people to the press and he gets the publicity he wants and even more respect that we haven't found out until after its all done.

But the most important thing is that the kids will benefit and that's a good thing

Fair point Jon but I think he would have got criticism for this no matter when it came out as it would always have the air of publicity about it.
      « Last Edit: Feb 01, 2013 09:44:26 pm by srslfc »
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #49: Feb 01, 2013 09:35:48 pm
      Fair point JOn but I think he would have got criticism for this no matter when it came out as it would always have the air of publicity about it.

Guess so Si

End of the day publicity or not that charity and those kids wil benefit.. That's the main thing.

Mr Beckham will get his knighthood eventually anyway im sure
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #50: Feb 01, 2013 09:45:25 pm
      Mr Beckham will get his knighthood eventually anyway im sure

I think that much was a cert even without this to be honest.

I feel they're just waiting on him hanging up his boots.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #51: Feb 01, 2013 10:41:43 pm
      Hat's off to the man. Don't understand the negativity. It's his money to donate. If he wants to do it, good luck to him.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #52: Feb 01, 2013 10:45:53 pm
      Ballotelli would have got more praise for stuffing £40k down a strippers thong.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #53: Feb 01, 2013 11:40:12 pm
      I'm not that bothered by this or Beckham in general. But I do understand where Diego is coming from. Beckham has been building his image and making money off of it more than anything, it's hard to see this seperate from that. The construction is obviously made out to be a PR stunt from both Beckham and PSG, otherwise he would've just pocketed those wages and gave it to charity in secret without the need of public recognition. I'd hope personally that many football players give money to charity without us knowing and them feeling the need to go public with it. Then again, a public person like Beckham can raise awareness of a specific charity, but that doesn't really seem the case here. Don't think that giving money in itself is a good way to do that either.

He could have taken the money from PSG and given it to the children anyway. I'm not criticizing him, but he is a marketing man.

Ayrton Senna gave millions of dollars to charity and people only got to know about it after his death. All he wanted was to help people, no need to improve his public image.

Agree with the fact that it doesn't have to be known but I think in the context of his past deeds it is the deed of a good man over a marketing man. I remember a couple of years back him travelling out to Afghanistan to meet the troops there. He didn't have to but he pursued the trip himself until he got the opportunity to. More so, his work with UNICEF the past few years has been absolutely outstanding, much of which hasn't been publicised on a large scale. If this was Joey Barton then I would think the same way as you but because of his excellent history with charity, particularly children's charity, I just can't entertain such cynical thought. I definitely believe you can market image into your favour and everything, but you cannot market the firm goodwill of an individual. That is something above the realms of money. He deserves our utmost respect.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #54: Feb 02, 2013 12:30:28 am
      Him and Zlatan have a history don't they? Will be interesting to see how they get on
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #55: Feb 02, 2013 01:18:09 am
      He could have taken the money from PSG and given it to the children anyway. I'm not criticizing him, but he is a marketing man.

Ayrton Senna gave millions of dollars to charity and people only got to know about it after his death. All he wanted was to help people, no need to improve his public image.

I agree with this, while I wont criticise him and do respect him for giving to charity I'd respect him an awful lot more if he did this in private (I know the irony there as I probably would never know about it, but you know these things eventually come out) rather than play it out in the public eye.

There are many rich philanthropists who don't feel the need to be thanked and adored for their giving, not that I'm suggesting this is Beckham's motive but it certainly muddies the motives that's for sure and could quite easily have been avoided.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #56: Feb 02, 2013 08:05:31 am
      I agree with this, while I wont criticise him and do respect him for giving to charity I'd respect him an awful lot more if he did this in private (I know the irony there as I probably would never know about it, but you know these things eventually come out) rather than play it out in the public eye.

There are many rich philanthropists who don't feel the need to be thanked and adored for their giving, not that I'm suggesting this is Beckham's motive but it certainly muddies the motives that's for sure and could quite easily have been avoided.

Announcing it is of course a piece of image management but I don't think that really matters or cheapens the gesture. In fact I think its a good thing it was made public as it might encourage other top footballers to do the same when their career is winding down and they've already made enough to look after their loved ones.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #57: Feb 02, 2013 09:31:38 am
      Ian Herbert: Behind the Parisian glitter, David Beckham may really fear the floodlights failing
      The Bentley pulled into the car park a good 20 minutes late on Monday lunchtime and there was a time, when the whole world wanted a piece of him, that we would have been lucky to see its driver at all. This time, it was just a minor domestic commitment which had sent Ricky Hatton's timetable adrift and after he had walked past the table of sausage rolls and curly sandwiches, completed his scheduled appearance and finally got down to talking, you could not fail to be hit by the crater-sized hole in the diminished life of a man who held sport in his grip and will not do again.

It's a cynical business which preoccupies us in this section of the newspaper and there's been no lack of that where the arrival in Paris of David Beckham is concerned. Depending on your grade of scepticism, he's a clothes horse for shirts, a piece of brand equity or simply un people to quote the weird new franglais for "celebrity". But while it's a long way from the Parc des Princes to Hatton's fitness centre, just beyond the top traffic lights in the Market Street in Hyde, it was hard, so soon after hearing Hatton out, not to wonder if a little piece of Beckham just wants to stop the floodlights failing for a little while longer.

The Hatton conversation actually turned out to be a decent piece of newspaper property: Ricky talking for the first time since his Vyacheslav Senchenko fight about how life's gone on and yes, since you might ask, he says that he's fine, feels like he has conquered his depression, is about to be a father for the third time. "I'm content. There's nothing more I want to achieve." At least, those are the words in my notebook. It's the look in a man's eyes that you can't write down, when he's perched on the side of a ring in front of you, surrounded by the framed bills, nailed to the walls, which tell the story of the nights and the fights that will never come back. Ricky v Kostya Tszyu in Manchester – the first proper world title fight and his one crowning glory; Ricky v Floyd Mayweather; Ricky v Manny Pacquiao, that box office sensation which promised to catapult Hatton into the big-money league and instead plunged him into a depression as vicious as the Filipino's knockout punch. "Life slows down now. Yes, it's all about making a family," Hatton told me, nodding his head a little too vigorously.

The story of the player or fighter coming to terms with the end is one of the most enduring and it's hard not to pry. Only those who have taken the step into what lies beyond can really tell it. It's fully 20 years since Bob Latchford described it to me in a way that still resonates. "There's nothing to prepare you," he said. "The empty hours, the Saturday lunchtimes destroying you. All you can do is try to think ahead to how you'll fill the days and how you'll move on, but you're fooling yourself. In some ways what you've lost is the simplicity of life and the routines."

At the time, David Bairstow had just taken his own life, seven years after his retirement from a way of cricket life which was perhaps irreplaceable for him.

The story of Darren Eadie, told in this newspaper by fellow pro James Scowcroft, was the most compelling football chronicle of last year for my money, only adding weight to the notion that there are two tragedies in life: the one of failing to meet your goals, and the other of succeeding. You run a pub, you do the after-dinner circuit, but even for those who continue to flourish, as Beckham surely will, a light goes out. The crater was so big for Eadie that he would go into Norwich, walk around seeing others so happy and feel so demolished that the panic attacks stopped him even driving home.

The debate is how long to put your powers to the test. You felt Beckham protested a bit too much on Thursday when he insisted that "I can run around and play just like I was a 21-year-old" and insisted that he had not lost pace "because I was never a player who had much pace". He may actually play no more than five games for his new employers, with the Reims, Rennes and Montpelliers of Ligue 1 probably the target, though his old friend Gary Neville can tell him the story of half-time in the dressing -room toilet at The Hawthorns on New Year's Day last year after he'd just spent 45 minutes making "Jerome Thomas look like Ronaldo," in the words of his immensely fine biography. He never played again.

"The essence of sport is that while you're doing it nothing else matters but after you stop there is a place, generally not very important, where you put it," Sir Roger Bannister once said. And that is because the brand equity can never hold a torch to the turf and the floodlights. Once you have stepped from the ring, there is nothing but a life on the outside of the ropes, telling the world that you're fine.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/ian-herbert-behind-the-parisian-glitter-david-beckham-may-really-fear-the-floodlights-failing-8477970.html
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #58: Feb 02, 2013 09:41:12 am
      Cheers for that WAHS, absolutely believe there is a lot of truth in that article and it's extremely well written, manages to draw you into their world for a second or two.
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #59: Feb 02, 2013 10:02:56 am
      It is a nice gesture, no doubt somewhat cynical, its been muted if he'd have come back to England the proceeds would have gone to a charity from where he grew up....just saying
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #60: Feb 02, 2013 10:23:17 am
      It is a nice gesture, no doubt somewhat cynical, its been muted if he'd have come back to England the proceeds would have gone to a charity from where he grew up....just saying

Not so sure it would have mate, if it was always his idea to donate the wages to a charity local to the club that employed him, then I think he'd have followed the same route.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #61: Feb 02, 2013 10:35:20 am
      Probably never before has a man got so much criticism for giving money to charity.

Over £4M to help children.

No matter what we feel about Beckham this is one thing he doesn't deserve criticism for in my view.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #62: Feb 02, 2013 10:58:33 am
      Gesture?
      What gesture?

When you do something for personal gain, there is NO gesture.

With the income tax rate in France being what it is, this is no more than a PR exercise for him, and I'll bet that he is getting royalties from shirt sales overseas paid directly into an offshore account.
      I'll go a step further, and bet that his income from shirt sales and other merchandise will earn him far in excess of what he is supposedly giving to charity, which in fact is actually the club giving to charity.

Another self aggrandizing, self promoting PR stunt from a player who was lucky enough to have a slick PR team from a relatively young age.

I also agree with Diego, he's the most overrated player of his generation.
      The gesture of giving 4mill to a kids charity. That gesture.
      Whatever his motives that will massively change lives and allow that charity to expand their work. You work in business. Everyone gets it. So stop banging on about it in every post, who cares why he's done it? The point is that he did do it.

Can't get my head around such a brutal piece of criticism of him for doing that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #63: Feb 02, 2013 12:08:09 pm
      Diego, how many people in football work for free for the sake of underprivileged children?

Quite a lot you will find, just that some do it without the need for the whole world to know about it!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #64: Feb 02, 2013 12:11:44 pm
      Ballotelli would have got more praise for stuffing £40k down a strippers thong.

He's the much of a loon he'd just hand it to a tramp on the street.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #65: Feb 02, 2013 12:15:35 pm
      Quite a lot you will find, just that some do it without the need for the whole world to know about it!

I get that. Totally get it. Fact is though he is giving his wages to a charity which is more than a hell of a lot would even think about doing.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #66: Feb 02, 2013 06:40:32 pm
      BYR PÃ… BECKHAM
      Ørn Kristiania er en klubb for og av Hortensfolk.I dette tilfellet har likevel klubbens styre gått med på å gjøre et unntak, for ingen ringere enn David Beckham.

Etter 3. plass i fjorårets 8. Divisjon i Oslo er Ørn klare i sitt bud til verdensstjernen, på at de ikke kan stille med de store økonomiske fristelsene, men håper at det sosiale miljøet i klubben vil veie opp hos en aldrende velstående engelskmann.

(se det skriftlige budet lengst ned i artikkelen)

Beckham vil kunne heve oss

Tross sin voksne fotballalder på 38 år er Ørn Kristianias nyansatte trener Stig Strand likevel klar på at Beckham vil kunne heve Ørn-laget, hvis han er beredt til å slåss for plassen som alle andre.

- Per i dag har vi mange gode, og ikke minst særdeles hyggelige folk på midtbanen. Beckham vil bygge opp under luksusproblemet vårt, så sant han leverer på trening. Jeg har stor tro på at han kan heve laget på sitt beste.

Treningsvillig gruppe

Spillende trener Strand har selv vært en del av spillergruppa i to år og er ikke i tvil om at dette var det rette tidspunktet å kontakte Beckham på.

- - Vi har den beste og ivrigste stallen så langt. Dersom Beckham noen gang skal spille i brunt er dette definitivt den beste muligheten han får, sier Strand entuasiastisk.

Ørn-pin i sign-on-fee

Ørn Kristianias formann Martin Sjøblom Roppestad er klar på at klubben ikke kan skilte med det beste økonomiske tilbudet til midtbaneeleganten, men tror at Ørn stiller i særklasse hva gjelder sosialt miljø.

- - Økonomisk budsjetterer vi med et overskudd på 700 kr i år, men det sosiale miljøet i spillergruppa står til europeisk toppklasse. Dette er gutter som virkelig ofrer seg for klubben og hverandre. Med hjertet i Horten og Ørn blør de virkelig for æren på kamp og trening.

Roppestad har likevel noe å tilby spilleren, med 115 kamper for det engelske landslaget.

- Han vil måtte betale medlemskontingent, der skiller vi ikke på noen. Men til gjengjeld får han smykke dressjakka si med en eksklusiv Ørn Kristiania-pin, som ikke er mange forunt. I tillegg har spillende trener Aleksander Eriksen gitt avkall på sin syver-drakt, så Beckham får spille i sitt favorittnummer fra tida i Manchester United.

Ørn Kristiania er dermed èn av 13 klubber som har lagt inn bud på David Beckham. Han har de siste dagene trent med Arsenal for å holde formen ved like, men Londonklubben skal ikke være blant de 13 interesserte.

Hvorvidt han blir Ørn-spiller vet vi først i kveld kl 24:00.

http://www.ornkristiania.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112:byr-pa-beckham&catid=35:nyheter&Itemid=28

Basically...

Norwegian 8th division club made serious bid for David Beckham: offered No.7 shirt and free sports bag!

Shortly before David Beckham decided to spend the next five months of his life swanning around Paris, the following document -- a lucrative contract offer from Norwegian eighth division club FK Orn Kristiania -- landed on the desk of his representatives in Los Angeles.

They may not have quite as much to their name as Qatar-funded PSG, but you can hardly accuse FK Orn of holding back in their attempts to lure Beckham away from the French capital -- throwing several incredibly tempting 'sweetners' his way, including a discounted club members' fee, first dibs on their No.7 shirt (Jeremy Menez is currently hogging PSG's), a lapel button/badge and... wait for it... an official FK Orn Kristiania sports holdall!

If you were Beckham, you would, wouldn't you?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/thetoepoke/id/1827?cc=5901
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #67: Feb 04, 2013 07:56:58 pm
      A lovely gesture. PSG have probably pulled off the largest marketing stunt in the history of football but at least a charity is benefitting greatly from it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #68: Feb 06, 2013 12:22:07 pm
      A nice bit of lolly gong to charity, great, I am all for that. But, lets get it into perspective, his image/media/commercial rights will be massive. The main reason he has done it of course is because he will be working in France, he has to declare his worldwide income and he would be taxed on ALL of it at the current rate of that country...so he saves money and also makes more than any of us will see in a lifetime. Win win. The title of the thread is misleading at best. Oh, and he swerves becoming automatically domocile in France by 1 month, he could have ended up in a situation paying 75% tax. What is the difference from a large corporation (starbucks etc..) avoiding tax and Beckham? nothing at all, he is a large corporation avoiding paying tax!

Exactly...

Let's not forget his major income are not the wages he is paid by his clubs, but all the money he makes with marketing and other contracts.

Quick Reply