Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

David Beckham joins PSG to play for free

Read 14629 times
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Re: David Beckham joins PSG to play for free
      Reply #69: Feb 06, 2013 12:35:26 pm
      Gesture?
      What gesture?

When you do something for personal gain, there is NO gesture.

With the income tax rate in France being what it is, this is no more than a PR exercise for him, and I'll bet that he is getting royalties from shirt sales overseas paid directly into an offshore account.
      I'll go a step further, and bet that his income from shirt sales and other merchandise will earn him far in excess of what he is supposedly giving to charity, which in fact is actually the club giving to charity.

Another self aggrandizing, self promoting PR stunt from a player who was lucky enough to have a slick PR team from a relatively young age.

I also agree with Diego, he's the most overrated player of his generation.

Yep totally agree.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #70: Feb 06, 2013 02:34:43 pm
      @LeanderOnFOX

Hate to gloat, but according to The Times and Le Parisien, Beckham's "philanthropy" was indeed designed to shield income from French taxes.

Don't have access to the Times. Is there any truth in that?
      Bier
      Reply #71: Feb 06, 2013 03:20:03 pm
      @LeanderOnFOX

Hate to gloat, but according to The Times and Le Parisien, Beckham's "philanthropy" was indeed designed to shield income from French taxes.

Don't have access to the Times. Is there any truth in that?

Read this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/christinasettimi/2013/02/05/so-what-if-david-beckham-is-donating-his-salary-to-charity-to-avoid-paying-taxes/
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #72: Feb 06, 2013 05:34:04 pm
      Whatever reason he did it a childrens charity is still going to benefit from over £4M.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #73: Feb 06, 2013 06:35:55 pm
      I honestly don't see why he is being lauded for scamming the country where he is working out of tax by using a cynical publicity stunt.

I'm still willing to bet that he will earn huge amounts which are then funneled to an offshore account through a share of merchandising, probably using a scam using the country where the shirts are made.

Am I happy that a charity will benefit from this? Yes, of course, but to paint this tw*t as some sort of saint, when his motives are far from altruistic entirely misses the point, especially when some of the same people who are praising him for it are the same people who were up in arms about corporate tax avoidance in this country.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #74: Feb 06, 2013 09:46:53 pm
      He's rich enough to give that money to charity without the need of publicity...

And how do we know he hasn't already?

To be fair, if Stevie was doing something like this people would want him made king of England ;D

Couldn't care less about whether it's about publicity or not, it's a nice gesture that I haven't seen any other footballers do.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #75: Feb 07, 2013 03:47:35 pm
      Look, it is not a "nice gesture" and he is not doing it out of the goodness of his heart. Think of Beckham as a company, that is what he is. Now, hundreds of thousands of companies "give" money to charities but it doesn't mean it's a nice gesture, they do it because their accountants tell them it's a way of evading tax, to bring them under a certain threshold. A nice gesture for charities, is people who get off their arse everyday and actually go out and help the people who need the help. Why would he make it public? especially in a press conference to the world? He is trying to make out he is some sort of a saint and people get sucked in. YES, and I know that charity benefits, we get it, and you may say that you don't care as long as charities benefit...tosh! Lost for words.

David Beckham is not a saint and no amount of charity would make me think otherwise. My two points are this and I'll leave you all to debate the degradation of the human condition.

1) No one knows how much or how little he and/or his wife give to charity, there could be things that he doesn't report that the public could never know about, or he could give nothing and this could be exactly what people say it is, a publicity stunt. Point being we don't know for sure so I'll wait to pass judgement. Not to mention, how exactly would you keep this under wraps if you wanted to? PSG isn't going to pass up on the opportunity to publicize it, someone always talks.

2) Irregardless of the intent, that's a hell of a lot of money going to charity and I don't see any other footballers in the twilight of their career doing the same. Charity wins in this situation and it's not like there is anything diabolical about it. If Beckham evades some taxes oh well...I'm sure every single one of you  would be lining up to pay your fair share even if you had a way to avoid it?? I'm not saint, neither is Beckham and neither are any of you.

Luke 6:42 comes to mind....;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #76: Feb 08, 2013 06:53:25 am
      David Beckham is not a saint and no amount of charity would make me think otherwise. My two points are this and I'll leave you all to debate the degradation of the human condition.

1) No one knows how much or how little he and/or his wife give to charity, there could be things that he doesn't report that the public could never know about, or he could give nothing and this could be exactly what people say it is, a publicity stunt. Point being we don't know for sure so I'll wait to pass judgement. Not to mention, how exactly would you keep this under wraps if you wanted to? PSG isn't going to pass up on the opportunity to publicize it, someone always talks.

2) Irregardless of the intent, that's a hell of a lot of money going to charity and I don't see any other footballers in the twilight of their career doing the same. Charity wins in this situation and it's not like there is anything diabolical about it. If Beckham evades some taxes oh well...I'm sure every single one of you  would be lining up to pay your fair share even if you had a way to avoid it?? I'm not saint, neither is Beckham and neither are any of you.

Luke 6:42 comes to mind....;)
      I would imagine that PSG will pay any money into Beckhams bank account and will not have an inkling how he dispenses it to whatever charity  he wants.At the end of the day it will have nothing to do with PSG what he does with the cash.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #77: Feb 24, 2013 07:13:36 pm

Philippe Auclair, England correspondent for France Football magazine, provides the BBC with a glimpse into the game, saying: "Marseille thinks that it is a bit outside of France, in a world of its own -
      a little bit like Liverpool does -
      and that by confronting Paris, it's like the two French capitals fighting against one another.

Strange comment 24/02/2013  on BBC Sport before the PSG Marseille  game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21566835
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #78: Feb 25, 2013 12:41:46 pm

Philippe Auclair, England correspondent for France Football magazine, provides the BBC with a glimpse into the game, saying: "Marseille thinks that it is a bit outside of France, in a world of its own -
      a little bit like Liverpool does -
      and that by confronting Paris, it's like the two French capitals fighting against one another.

Strange comment 24/02/2013  on BBC Sport before the PSG Marseille  game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21566835

Not at all, a bit like the way scousers think they're a little bit different from the rest of the english idiots in England, so too do those from Marseille think they are different from the rest of the French.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #79: Feb 25, 2013 01:06:12 pm
      Not at all, a bit like the way scousers think they're a little bit different from the rest of the english idiots in England, so too do those from Marseille think they are different from the rest of the French.

In a nutshell mate, does sound like they set themselves apart from le bellends en France.
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2013 01:21:38 pm by stuey »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #80: Feb 25, 2013 06:07:18 pm
      In a nutshell mate, does sound like they set themselves apart from le bellends en France.

... and I av ad the plaisir to leev wiz ze belle ends de France.

I would tell you about the bi*ch on the Ferry last week but the ferry company would sue me.

I just thought it was  a strange digression from reporting of the match.

Strange but yes quite possibly true especially with Joey B in the mix.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #81: Apr 28, 2013 11:50:15 pm
      Straight red for Beckham tonight followed up by a fight between both sides at the final whistle. Awaiting headlines on the news and Cameron quotes...... As if!!!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #82: Apr 29, 2013 12:43:44 am
      F**k the ex Manc don't see why he deserves his own thread.

I bet you behind the nice guy image there is a Ryan Giggs, Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong  type lifestyle behind him.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #83: Apr 29, 2013 04:38:30 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #84: Apr 29, 2013 04:42:10 pm
      I bet you behind the nice guy image there is a Ryan Giggs, Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong  type lifestyle behind him.

How dare you say that about this gentleman? A lord on the pitch, he is.

;D

By the way, slightly off-topic but this is a very good read on the myth of the perfect athlete as a role model for society:

Dangerous myth of the role model athlete
      The sports-industrial complex should be shrunk before it destroys society

Way back in 2008, the three most admired personalities in sport were probably Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong and Oscar Pistorius. They were portrayed not just as great athletes but as great men, role models: Woods was the ultimate professional, Armstrong had overcome cancer to rule cycling, and the double amputee Pistorius had become an outstanding sprinter. It later turned out that Woods was a serial adulterer, Armstrong a drugs cheat, and on Thursday in South Africa Pistorius was charged with murdering his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. His family and management have disputed the accusation “in the strongest terms”.

Any sentient person over the age of eight already knew that great athletes are not necessarily role models. That’s not what the scandals have taught us. Rather, we can see now that the sports-industrial complex – the machine of media and advertising that cranks out myths about athletes – has gone into overdrive. As with investment banking it might be time to shrink it before it destroys society.

Like most modern industries, the sports-industrial complex arose in the US. Its operatives understood that if people viewed great athletes merely as ordinary humans with one unusual gift, hardly anyone would bother following sport. So, drawing on a myth that goes back at least to the English novel Tom Brown’s Schooldays (1857), it was proclaimed that sportsmen possessed special moral characteristics. Athletes were determined, they sacrificed, they “took one for the team”.

The sports-industrial complex was already pumping out stories about American athletes who loved their mamas and drank the right soft drink while Europe’s best footballers were still taking the tram to work.

Even 20 years ago, the fantasy of the athlete as role model was sufficiently widespread in the US that the basketball player Charles Barkley could say in a commercial: “I am not a role model. I am not paid to be a role model ... I am paid to wreak havoc on a basketball court.” In truth, he was merely presenting himself as a different type of role model: a rebellious “bad boy” able to compete with rappers for the lucrative teen market.

From the early 1990s, satellite TV and then the internet promoted sport globally, taking the sports-industrial complex with it. Its role models are now marketed worldwide. In interviews and commercials – spot the difference – Armstrong fought cancer, Pistorius fought for the disabled, and Woods fought for the global consulting and outsourcing firm Accenture.

Male athletes have taken over roles once held by knights, saints and soldiers. They represent the masculine ideal. (Female athletes remain less saleable, unless very pretty.) In today’s vast mythmaking enterprise, the athletes serve only as raw material to be transformed from humans into paragons. All the athletes need to do is parrot the myth. “My example can be an inspiration to those who, like me, have experienced and struggled with a physical problem,” writes Pistorius in his autobiography, Blade Runner . “This can also be true for others who have had to overcome obstacles of a different nature.” He was a role model for all humanity.

The sports-industrial complex lacks imagination. Anyone stuffed into its machine comes out sounding like the offspring of Cinderella and the Soviet workaholic Stakhanov. There is a standard story – hero overcomes adversity (cancer, loss of legs, etc) through willpower – that is also a parable proclaiming the values of capitalism: hard work and discipline lead to wealth.

Sporting myths have become so stereotyped that any sportswriter or advertiser can whip one up in 20 minutes. The US college football player Manti Te’o recently saved everyone the trouble by coming up with his own myth. He said his girlfriend and grandmother had died almost simultaneously, whereupon he had overcome adversity. This story was endlessly retold – until it emerged that Te’o had made it up. He had brilliantly satirised the sports-industrial complex.

The mythmaking only gets louder, yet the ability of athletes to live up to these myths is diminishing. In real life, they are becoming less exemplary. That’s because in many sports it’s now almost a professional obligation to take drugs; because athletes as masculine ideals have boundless opportunities for adultery; and because they have got used to everyone saying yes to them, which means they often struggle with challenging human situations. Moreover, the sports-industrial complex now selects its heroes so young (Woods was identified age two) that they have little unprotected experience of life.

Athletes’ brands are being stretched ever further just as they themselves become narrower people. Yet when the athlete predictably falls, the sports-industrial complex is dismayed. “So many people feel let down by his behaviour,” lamented Time magazine after Woods’s exposure – as if people could cope with war, unemployment and climate change, but go to pieces when a golfer commits adultery.

There are now vacancies for role models to replace Woods, Armstrong, Pistorius, Te’o, and Ryan Giggs, the most admired man in English football’s Premier League until his complicated sex life was revealed. Replacements will be found – and later will fall. Only the sports- industrial complex goes on forever.

Simon Kuper - Financial Times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #85: Apr 29, 2013 08:48:46 pm
      Showing he is still a dirty Manc at heart then I see, except he didn't get away with it.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #86: Apr 30, 2013 11:36:49 am

Quick Reply