Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who gets your vote for MOTM?

Sturridge
      142 (89.9%)
      Carragher
      3 (1.9%)
      Lucas
      6 (3.8%)
      Johnson
      3 (1.9%)
      Other
      4 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 154

Voting closed: Feb 10, 2013 06:30:53 pm

Man City 2-2 Liverpool: In-Game and Post Match Analysis

Read 37593 times
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: Man City 2-2 Liverpool: In-Game and Post Match Analysis
      Reply #713: Feb 03, 2013 11:36:49 pm
      Was disgusted by the posts of "c**t" and "retard" aimed at Pepe.  Those posters need to give their heads a proper wobble.

Thought we were boss today, outplayed the champions on their own turf.  Gutted we didn't come away with 3 points, defensive lapses costing us dearly again.  Still no need for the abuse aimed at Pepe by a couple of posters.

MOTM for me was Danny.  Hope he will be ok for Saturday, claws off him Owl for the midweek International game.

Too right. The last thing we want or need is Danny aggravating an injury and making it worse just by turning out for England in a friendly.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,109 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #714: Feb 03, 2013 11:43:05 pm
      He stops because Pepe leaves the goal.

Well then he needs to sort his game out is he centre half defend at all costs or a centre half who lets his keeper do the defending for him, because from what Ive seen in football those deenders dont work  , and the back 4 and keeper need to sort out issues with there communication.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #715: Feb 03, 2013 11:43:19 pm
      He stops because Pepe leaves the goal.

Brian's right. The reluctance by Skrtel in taking on Aguero was utterly breathtaking and bordering on taking the piss. No doubt Reina made the mistake but I firmly believe he was forced into it by Skrtel because of the immense lack of trust that was shown between Reina to Skrtel.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,109 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #716: Feb 03, 2013 11:44:44 pm
      Was disgusted by the posts of "c**t" and "retard" aimed at Pepe. 

I should be stunned but Im not, its the way iof the modern fan now. Theyll be drooling over him in the future when he saves a peno etc
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #717: Feb 03, 2013 11:48:57 pm
      I should be stunned but Im not, its the way iof the modern fan now. Theyll be drooling over him in the future when he saves a peno etc

Sad times, The Liverpool Way doesn't mean a whole lot to the modern fan.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #718: Feb 03, 2013 11:49:06 pm
      Was disgusted by the posts of "c**t" and "retard" aimed at Pepe.  Those posters need to give their heads a proper wobble.

Thought we were boss today, outplayed the champions on their own turf.  Gutted we didn't come away with 3 points, defensive lapses costing us dearly again.  Still no need for the abuse aimed at Pepe by a couple of posters.

MOTM for me was Danny.  Hope he will be ok for Saturday, claws off him Owl for the midweek International game.

That's shocking and sad to read. How anyone can call themselves a supporter when uttering those words to one of our own players, let alone a player the class and calibre of Reina who has given so much to this club for near to 8 years now.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #719: Feb 03, 2013 11:51:29 pm

Agree 100% and I brought this up during the Arsenal game, although it was Henderson on the receiving end that night.

Ridiculous.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #720: Feb 04, 2013 12:00:53 am
      Agree 100% and I brought this up during the Arsenal game, although it was Henderson on the receiving end that night.

Ridiculous.

Deffo, F***ing idiots that lot.

Thought we were boss today, outplayed shitty all over the park.  How the F**k Aguero put that in the net ???  Suarez-like to be fair!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #721: Feb 04, 2013 12:02:51 am
      I've waited until now to post so I can do so without the emotion of the match. Let's be honest here, mistakes happen. Did Reina have a rush of blood to go running out of his goal like that? Yes. Is he the first goal keeper to do that? No. Sh*t happens and no one expected Aguero to score from there. But let's put that aside and focus on the performance. Let's be clear here, we went to the league champions, a team that costs more than our club is probably worth, and we dominated them. The fluid and precise passing, the quick attacks, the mix of long balls and short was like watching Liverpool of old.

You could really see Brendan's system starting to click today and if we can find the much needed consistency and put in performances like today week-in, week-out, then we'll be back up there challenging for top honours in no time. Without doubt, Sturridge MOTD and right now that's looking like one of the most inspired transfers in recent history. A guy with a lot to prove and so far, he's proving it. Long may the SAS team continue to put the fear of god in to defences!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #722: Feb 04, 2013 12:34:49 am

Oh.

Well if HE said so...

;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #723: Feb 04, 2013 12:51:20 am

Yep especially as Skrtel is just as culpable and should of given Pepe a shout and got himself between Pepe and Aguero. Then he also stops when Pepe goes charging out.

Don't let that overshadow what was a fantastic performance, Sturridge easily man of the match, but a few others could be included as well such as Johnson, Gerrard and Downing. Also thought Lucas did a quiet efficient job today blocking off their attack at times and doing well in just getting a foot in and breaking up their attacks.

Shame we didn't get the three points, but finally we're starting to look as if we're heading in the right direction.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #724: Feb 04, 2013 01:15:03 am

Didn't higlhight that for any additional credibillity it had coming out of his mouth.

He was the commentator on the coverage I had.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #725: Feb 04, 2013 02:04:13 am
      Excellent performance if not result. Sturridge had an outstanding game and impressed me with his passing and what a great goal.... if only he had a right foot to go with his left.

I was disappointed when Sturridge was taken off, surely with us taking the game to Citeh it would have been better to bring on Borini rather than Allen? I really thought Citeh were there for the taking at that point. End to end stuff, maybe it would have been worth the gamble to go for the three points which could possibly make such a difference to our season rather than ensuring we got the draw?

Pepe was at fault imo, but I am still not sure that Aguero meant to score rather than just crossing the ball into the box.

Nice to see Gerrard knocking one in from distance and looking more like his old self.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #726: Feb 04, 2013 03:50:10 am
      Still gutted after that. Felt like we threw another 2 points away. We really should have had 6 points from 6 points in our last 2 games but for stupid F***ing basic mistakes that cost us dearly.

We played those fuckers off the park at their own place in front of their own fans. The lads were absolutely fantastic today bar those errors. Sturridge easily MOTM. Had his best game yet in a Red shirt.

It was quite soothing knowing that we could still play so well and dominate a multi millionaire team with quality players all over the park, without our best player, Luis, performing as we know he can.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #727: Feb 04, 2013 04:16:05 am
      Still gutted after that. Felt like we threw another 2 points away. We really should have had 6 points from 6 points in our last 2 games but for stupid f**king basic mistakes that cost us dearly.

We played those fuckers off the park at their own place in front of their own fans. The lads were absolutely fantastic today bar those errors. Sturridge easily MOTM. Had his best game yet in a Red shirt.

It was quite soothing knowing that we could still play so well and dominate a multi millionaire team with quality players all over the park, without our best player, Luis, performing as we know he can.

Devo is all I can say. Why is it we fk up so easily when we play so awesome????
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #728: Feb 04, 2013 04:56:34 am
      Make a new goalkeeper our first priority. I'm f**king tired of GK bloopers.

Reina just keeps messing up, every f**king match, one blooper after another, and Jones just doesn't have what it takes to replace him. Hire someone good! So many teams have good, stalwart goalkeepers who do a solid job all 90 minutes and don't give away stupid goals through silly bloopers... so why can't we?

We just lost 2 points, not because the other team outplayed us in the end, but because of our own blunders. It infuriates me.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #729: Feb 04, 2013 05:38:31 am
      Make a new goalkeeper our first priority. I'm f**king tired of GK bloopers.

Reina just keeps messing up, every f**king match, one blooper after another, and Jones just doesn't have what it takes to replace him. Hire someone good! So many teams have good, stalwart goalkeepers who do a solid job all 90 minutes and don't give away stupid goals through silly bloopers... so why can't we?

We just lost 2 points, not because the other team outplayed us in the end, but because of our own blunders. It infuriates me.

I'm sorry Mate but 11 players make a team not just Pepe  If the outfield players have not been pulling there weight (Most of the Season!) where we're your comments about them ?
      Obviously a goalkeeping error is magnified because he's the last line of defense, how many times this season has Pepe saved our bacon whilst the rest of the team have underperformed !
      to many kneejerkers having a go at 1 mistake rather than praising the team for standing up to the EPL Champions ON THERE OWN TURF .
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #730: Feb 04, 2013 06:05:24 am
      I'm sorry Mate but 11 players make a team not just Pepe  If the outfield players have not been pulling there weight (Most of the Season!) where we're your comments about them ?
      Obviously a goalkeeping error is magnified because he's the last line of defense, how many times this season has Pepe saved our bacon whilst the rest of the team have underperformed !
      to many kneejerkers having a go at 1 mistake rather than praising the team for standing up to the EPL Champions ON THERE OWN TURF .
      Pepe's understudies do not promote confidence either Steve, really do not see where this criticism of him has any substance, speaking of inspiring confidence the lads in front of him failed on that score time and time again - is it any wonder he took matters into his own hands.
      There were players rooted to the goal line ffs while Aguero was allowed to invade Pepe's territory, he scored from the most ridiculous of angles with no defender in sight - was Pepe supposed to forfeit even more time and space or make a decision?
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #731: Feb 04, 2013 07:50:55 am
      I hope those 2, plus the 2 from Wednesday don't cost us too much come the end of the season.  We really need to start putting games away and playing with more consistency.  I would say we have probably been the best away team to play at the Etihad this season, so it is hard to come away with only a point.

I really don't know what Pepe was thinking when he rushed out - that bis twice we have handed them an equaliser this season.  I read that since the start of last season Pepe has been directly at fault for 8 goals, and he has missed a few games in that time.  Something is wrong and I just hope he can sort himself out sooner rather than later.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #732: Feb 04, 2013 08:04:54 am
      Pepe's fault as he obviously called to Skrtel causing the defender to leave it. Tat said, the goal was a complete fluke, Aguerro merely trying to hook it back accross the area. The main beneficiary of the mistake as faras the forums are concerned is Agger. Once again his defending was terrible for the first goal, and our need for a proper centre half is becoming pressing.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #733: Feb 04, 2013 08:12:19 am
      I didn't feel Agger was massively at fault for the first goal myself mick.. He tried to cut out the ball near post rather than stay tight to the man, had he cut it out we all applaud good defending. From Dzeko's part I thought his movement was excellent.
      The second goal, fault can't lay just at one players feet..That's a poor goal from the teams point of view to concede, two or three players with slight errors led to it.. Can't absolve any for blame or blame more than others for it.

Play as well as we have against Arsenal and City against West Brom, Swansea and Wigan and we will be looking back at 11 points from the 5 games and positively

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #734: Feb 04, 2013 08:24:37 am
      I didn't feel Agger was massively at fault for the first goal myself mick.. He tried to cut out the ball near post rather than stay tight to the man, had he cut it out we all applaud good defending. From Dzeko's part I thought his movement was excellent.
      The second goal, fault can't lay just at one players feet..That's a poor goal from the teams point of view to concede, two or three players with slight errors led to it.. Can't absolve any for blame or blame more than others for it.

Play as well as we have against Arsenal and City against West Brom, Swansea and Wigan and we will be looking back at 11 points from the 5 games and positively

It will be a great big disappointment if we don't pick up another 9 points from from those 3 games.We owe West Brom a good hiding after that result in the first match of the season.If we play like we did at Arsenal and City without conceding goals we will be more than a match for any team.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #735: Feb 04, 2013 08:55:04 am
      Very proud of the lads after that performance absolutely battered city all over the park,Sturridge is looking a inspired signing.
      Shame peep had a rush of blood but how the F**k aguero got that in is beyond me.

All the city fans in the pub to a man said that we looked superb and the best team to roll up at there place.
      Proud bit still feel gutted,weird.

Quick Reply