Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who gets your vote for MOTM?

Sturridge
      142 (89.9%)
      Carragher
      3 (1.9%)
      Lucas
      6 (3.8%)
      Johnson
      3 (1.9%)
      Other
      4 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 154

Voting closed: Feb 10, 2013 06:30:53 pm

Man City 2-2 Liverpool: In-Game and Post Match Analysis

Read 37602 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Man City 2-2 Liverpool: In-Game and Post Match Analysis
      Reply #759: Feb 04, 2013 06:49:17 pm
      Well, this feeling is becoming quite common lately, outplaying the opposition and creating enough chances to win 2 games, never mind the one.

Thought the lads played excellent yesterday, all of them. Let's get one thing straight again though, this was another 2 points thrown away. Sturridge was immense yesterday and i can see big things happening for the lad if he keeps his head on. We passed the ball around well, we pressed City hard and this time we did it for the whole game, unlike the Arsenal game.

We should have been out of sight by half time but it wasn't to be. Thought Sturridge's goal was outstanding, the power he generated was immense and his skill and vision in open play was clearly evident. The Gerrard goal was even better, so much more left in Gerrard. You just knew it was going in, any other player wouldn't even have had the right to take it on.

Then we come to the most talked about point of the game. Whose fault was the goal?. Reina or Skrtel?. It's a hard one but in all honesty Skrtel should have just hoofed the ball away, regardless of whether Reina gave the call or not. Then on the other hand why the F**k did Reina go to the edge of the area when there was absolutely no threat?.

While everyone has been debating the decision i've been more worried about the actual substitution that led to this situation. I may  be the only one who is thinking this but i'd have put Johnson to left back and brought Wisdom on at right back, or even brought Wisdom on at left back. I was disappointed to see Wisdom dropped in all honesty but to put a confidence shot centre back on as a left back in a game we were closing out was madness.

Then we had the Allen substitution, what the F**k was all that about?. Hardly a signal of intent that we wanted to win.

It was a brilliant performance by the lads and they deserve all the credit in the world as does Brendan but let's not kid ourselves here, we had the opportunity to come away from this double header with all 6 points.

In all this it's Gerrard i feel sorry for the most, how many times has he pulled us out of the sh*t?, only to be let down by his team mates so he has to do it all again.

Ryan Giggs has the tag of the greatest player never to grace a World Cup.

I sincerely hope that Gerrard doesn't get the tag of being the greatest player to never win the Premier League.

While i'm tremendously proud of our youngsters it's patently obvious that the scales of youth and experience are well out of balance.

It's that experience that closes out games, it's that experience that gets you three points instead of one.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #760: Feb 04, 2013 08:28:56 pm
      Good post Hardcore...

I suppose down the years we've had a few "Calamity" Keepers and when Reina ran out to "tackle" Augero I got flashbacks of some of the crazy things Grobelaar used to do week in week out !!...David James was the same...heart stopping stuff !!....only to go and pull off a string of world class saves to keep us in the match...
      With the game less than 3 minutes old Reina produced a stunning save which was dipping in.
      A save I personally don't think Brad Jones would've got to...so love him or hate him Pepe IS our number 1 (well...25) choice..

We always come really good just before an International break..does my head in !!!  I just hope we can continue our form with a fit squad next week because we're gonna need that stamina along with the confidence from these last 2 games to push on........
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #761: Feb 04, 2013 09:12:22 pm
      3 people at fault for that second goal -

1) Brendan Rodgers, shouldn't have put Skrtel on, especially for our left back. The the defence were coping well enough and by then City looked like creating very little. The only threat was from Aguero and we were keeping him under control by that point.

2) Skrtel, I knew as soon as he came on we were going to concede a 2nd, Pepe shouldn't have come out but it wouldn't have happened in the first place if Skrtel hadn't lost Aguero. I felt very nervous every time the ball went near him in our half after that, story of the season as far as I am concerned over Skrtel.

3) Reina, yes come out like that if you are going to win the ball which he often does, but he got totally skinned by Aguero.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #762: Feb 04, 2013 09:23:26 pm
      Sorry but all Pepe for me;

|  Goal  |                                                                      Keeper

Is not the best way to set yourself.

Skrtel was caught yes (Im not sure why people are saying he was left back, he came on for Enrique yes, but Agger was on the wing when the chance happened and Skrtel in the middle on the left next to Carra...).

Regardless, with his experience, Reina should have known better than to come out against Aguero - up there with Suarez and Van Persie as the most technically gifted players in the league.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #763: Feb 04, 2013 09:23:50 pm
      Don't understand the blame on Skrtel for that second goal. When I played football at a decent enough level as a centre half various state and national youth coaches always taught you to show your striker "goalside". In lay mans terms away from goals in the very same direction Skrtel was ushering Aguero in to the corner and a near no man's land zone. Skrtel's left hand whilst chasing Aguero tries to wave Reina away from the action, to which the latter takes no notice and continues to charge towards Aguero causing Skrtel to slow down.

There is also that element of it where Skrtel should have kept running and kicked Reina, Aguero and the ball in to row Z but when a quiet experienced keeper gives you the false pretence they know what they are doing you have the tendency to allow for the element of trust to take over.

Everybody I have spoken to and foreign media are putting the error to a keeping howler, however Pepe's status is clouding judgment on this forum and we are coming up with all sorts of silly excuses for the lad.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #764: Feb 04, 2013 09:27:52 pm

While everyone has been debating the decision i've been more worried about the actual substitution that led to this situation. I may  be the only one who is thinking this but i'd have put Johnson to left back and brought Wisdom on at right back, or even brought Wisdom on at left back. I was disappointed to see Wisdom dropped in all honesty but to put a confidence shot centre back on as a left back in a game we were closing out was madness.

Great and spot on post Hardcore. Sorry to just highlight this bit of your post.

I was thinking exactly the same thing as you so mate you're not alone. Couldn't figure out myself why Glen J wasn't moved to LB and Wisdom brought on as RB when Jose was subbed. Just mad sense to me, can't understand Brendan's thinking on this one, baffled the f**k out of me at the time and then was compounded when Allen came on as well. There was no intent to snatch the 3 points that we fully deserved. It felt like it was more a case of protect the 1 point we allowed them to get.
      « Last Edit: Feb 04, 2013 09:39:01 pm by AussieRed »
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #765: Feb 04, 2013 09:30:43 pm
      All anyone needs to do is ask: " If Pepe was in goal would that ball have gone in?"

The answer would have been no, he could of caught it or punched it out.

Therefore the end answer is the GK fault, end of story and no excuses.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #766: Feb 04, 2013 09:38:03 pm
      Far too simplistic way of viewing the incident AZ.

Brendan wants his keeper to play the way Pepe does so that means he will come and try and 'sweep' some balls through but Skrtel's hesitance contributed massively to us conceding.

Pepe was partly at fault but Skrtel shares any blame as well.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #767: Feb 04, 2013 09:55:28 pm
      Thought the lads played very well. They played with a high tempo and looked like winning the game in the end . Shame we didnt. Johnson was great, Gerrard probably played his best game all season. Sturridge had his best game yet. He will be an amazing signing for us. I can only take positives from this game. Keep it going lads. Two quality signings in the summer like a CB and a quality DM and we have a good looking squad.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #768: Feb 04, 2013 10:27:13 pm
      Skrtel was doing fine. He was ushering Aguero into the corner. Aguero wasn't a threat until Pepe came all the way out and opened the goal to him. And as far as the sub what else would you do? Jose wasn't fit for the entire game and Skrtel is by far our best defender on the bench.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #769: Feb 04, 2013 10:44:46 pm
      Don't blame Pepe at all - he's always been a 'sweeper-keeper' except under Hodgson when we were so deep anyway, but that's another story.

I think it was indicative of the lack of faith some have in our defence these days - which stems from a lack of protection for the back four.  I reckon, nine times out of ten, that shot would not have gone in, but Augrero is some player.

Overall it was a fantastic performance with my only issue being that when city went 3-5-2 they pushed us back much more and I didn't see bossman do anything to try to get the initative back (maybe I missed it).  Also, with hindsight, perhaps moving Agger to left back wasn't the best idea - did I dream it that all/most of their attacks then came down our left when Enrique went off?
      « Last Edit: Feb 04, 2013 11:06:01 pm by red_squirrel »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #770: Feb 04, 2013 10:46:27 pm
      Have to agree with Hardcore on the subs issue, and the incident may never of happened IF.   But I do think Reina was the one at fault.there'sa fine line between being an extra centre half as Ray Clemence was, and a Calamity James, as David James was.
       Unfortunaltely, Pepe was the Calamity version on this occasion, but has so often been the Clemence version, so for me, all is forgiven, lets move on.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      Reply #771: Feb 04, 2013 10:50:03 pm
      Far too simplistic way of viewing the incident AZ.

Brendan wants his keeper to play the way Pepe does so that means he will come and try and 'sweep' some balls through but Skrtel's hesitance contributed massively to us conceding.

Pepe was partly at fault but Skrtel shares any blame as well.

Is exactly right srslfc.

It is no secret that Brendan expects the keeper to act as a 3rd centre half, so to speak. It allows us play our defensive line that bit higher than we normally would. Is a risky game to play though.

One of the reasons maybe that Skrtel has struggled struggled this Season?.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      Reply #772: Feb 04, 2013 11:07:16 pm
      All anyone needs to do is ask: " If Pepe was in goal would that ball have gone in?"

Watch the goal mate.

When Barry initially plays the ball over the top Aguero is 5 yards behind Skrtel on his inside, Skrtel then lets him go past him, around the front of him and onto his outside. Skrtel should have had the awareness to realise that he was in the best position to deal with the situation regardless of where Reina was.

Reina was at fault too, i agree.

I'll tell you one thing though, had that been Carragher then that ball would have ended up in Row Z with Aguero on his arse.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #773: Feb 04, 2013 11:09:08 pm
      Watch the goal mate.

When Barry initially plays the ball over the top Aguero is 5 yards behind Skrtel on his inside, Skrtel then lets him go past him, around the front of him and onto his outside. Skrtel should have had the awareness to realise that he was in the best position to deal with the situation regardless of where Reina was.

Reina was at fault too, i agree.

I'll tell you one thing though, had that been Carragher then that ball would have ended up in Row Z with Aguero on his arse.

Agree mate.

Pepe has to take blame here but as I've said if a keeper is expected to play a sweeper style role we will always see instances like this.

Skrtel had opportunity to clear but hesitated for whatever reason so in my opinion has to share blame as well.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      Reply #774: Feb 04, 2013 11:20:56 pm
      Don't blame Pepe at all - he's always been a 'sweeper-keeper' except under Hodgson when we were so deep anyway, but that's another story.

I think it was indicative of the lack of faith some have in our defence these days - which stems from a lack of protection for the back four.  I reckon, nine times out of ten, that shot would not have gone in, but Augrero is some player.

Overall it was a fantastic performance with my only issue being that when city went 3-5-2 they pushed us back much more and I didn't see bossman do anything to try to get the initative back (maybe I missed it).  Also, with hindsight, perhaps moving Agger to left back wasn't the best idea - did I dream it that all/most of their attacks then came down our left when Enrique went off?

Apologies, yes you are right. It was Agger that moved out to the left once Skrtel came on. It was Aguero going wide right when the goal was scored that made me think that.  Still a bad decision to make when we had a full back on the bench.

You are also right about the left flank attacks once Enrique went off. They saw a weak spot and attacked it.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #775: Feb 05, 2013 06:55:04 am
      I watched a full replay of the match today and I am more convinced than ever we could of had the 3 points,that is twice this season City have punished us for defensive mistakes and got away with a draw.The sad part is we played good football in each game and deserved to win.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #776: Feb 05, 2013 09:52:50 am

Not as simple as that AZ

If a wide player whips the ball in but it's a poor ball and behind the front man who has to stop his run and adjust his feet but can't quite get it right and puts it over the bar..
      Is that just the front mans fault or just the wide mans? Or a combination of the two?

Had the ball not been allowed to travel so far or Aguero allowed to run in behind so easily then Reina doesn't need to come..
      Blame for that goal goes down to at least 2 if not 3 players.. Not just Reina

Pepe does that plenty and clears the ball, we all say well done and expect it to happen.. Sometimes players get things wrong.. But I can't just put the blame on one player. That goal there were a couple of errors that led to Pepe having to come off his line

Pepe is great at that side of the game.. Some would have had kittens watching David James or Grobs
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #777: Feb 05, 2013 10:39:30 am
      Im still basking after the event.

Content that we broke their clean sheet run with not one but two.

Content we outplayed them for possession % on their turf.

Content that two games on from Oldham we are getting back to norm.

Held the Premier League champions in their own backyard. Good benchmark that just over half way through the season.
      Nearly nicked the win but for some Aguero magic.

Best performance so far under Brendan.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #778: Feb 05, 2013 12:58:57 pm
      Great performance from the team... a real shame that Pepe made an error costing us 3 points, however very pleased with the contribution of Sturridge in particular.
      I wish we could play this way every match.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #779: Feb 05, 2013 04:27:00 pm
      Great performance from the team... a real shame that Pepe made an error costing us 3 points, however very pleased with the contribution of Sturridge in particular.
      I wish we could play this way every match.
      The more i see it, the more i think MartinĀ“s fault... he really should have defused the bomb earlier, regardless of Reinas bold move.

ANyone else here thinks that Enriques substitution fu**ed up our game? And im not talking about goals, im talking about all around play. They hurt us badly when Jose left the pitch, and were more confident going forward.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #780: Feb 05, 2013 05:02:20 pm
      The more i see it, the more i think MartinĀ“s fault... he really should have defused the bomb earlier, regardless of Reinas bold move.

ANyone else here thinks that Enriques substitution fu**ed up our game? And im not talking about goals, im talking about all around play. They hurt us badly when Jose left the pitch, and were more confident going forward.

Suppose it did not help though Brendan said that he and Enrique had talked prior to the match and they both understood that he would have to be subbed for...when he was subbed it was easy to see he was out of gas.....lots of if's and but's but whats done is done.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #781: Feb 05, 2013 05:03:36 pm

That's settled it then ... it was Jose's fault for being subbed

it was also his fault for not getting his boots on quick enough vs Arsenal that we let a 2 goal lead slip when he he should have been on the pitch

Bad Jose - cost us 4 points this week   ;D

Quick Reply