Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

Match fixing

Read 10800 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,988 posts | 516 
      Match fixing
      Feb 04, 2013 12:31:25 pm
      From the BBC -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21319807

Match-fixing: Champions League tie played in England 'was fixed'

A Champions League tie played in England is one of 380 matches across Europe investigators say was fixed.

European police did not reveal the identity of the match they believe was corrupt in England.

But Europol did say that they had uncovered an organised crime syndicate based in Asia that was co-ordinating the operation.

Some 425 match officials, club officials, players and criminals are suspected of being involved.

At a news conference in The Hague, Netherlands, Europol claimed:
       The fixed Champions League tie in England took place in "last three or four years";
       The identity of that match cannot be revealed due to "ongoing judicial proceedings";
       Other "corrupt" matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers and "several top football matches in European leagues";
       In Germany-based matches alone, criminals wagered £13.8m (16m euros) on rigged matches and made £6.9m in profits
       Officials fear this is as the "tip of the iceberg".

Rob Wainwright, director of Europol - the European Union's law enforcement agency, said:"This is the work of a suspected organised crime syndicate based in Asia and operated with criminal networks around Europe.

"It is clear to us this is the biggest-ever investigation into suspected match-fixing in Europe. It has yielded major results which we think have uncovered a big problem for the integrity of football in Europe.

"We have uncovered an extensive criminal network."

Europol, which has been investigating for 18 months, said suspected matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers, two Champions League ties and "several top football matches in European leagues".
      In addition to the £13.8m wagered on Germany-based matches, payments of £1.73m are thought to have been paid to those involved. The biggest payment to an individual was £121,000, according to investigators.

Europol believes a crime syndicate based in Asia was liaising with criminal networks throughout Europe. It believes match-fixing has taken place in 15 countries and 50 people have so far been arrested.

In total, 30 countries and close to 700 matches worldwide were examined. Many of the allegations involved matches in lower divisions around Europe.

Criminal convictions have been secured in Germany, Finland, Hungary, Slovenia and Austria following investigations.

Asked specifically about the allegations surrounding the Champions League tie held in England, Wainwright declined to identify the match because of "ongoing judicial proceedings".

However he did say it happened in the last three to four years, before adding: "The focus has been on other countries, not the United Kingdom. However we were surprised by the scale generally of the criminal enterprise and just how widespread it was.

"It would be naive and complacent of those in the UK to think such a criminal conspiracy does not involve the English game and all the football in Europe."

2 thoughts spring to mind:

1) Please dont let it be us;

2) Please let it be Man U

Anybody got any "inside" gossip on this? Even if its totally made up, I don't mind, let's get the ball rolling.

Wonder when they'll start naming names?
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Re: Match fixing
      Reply #1: Feb 04, 2013 12:39:36 pm
      Doubt it's us, read somewhere that it occurred within the last 4-5 years (the English one).....considering our recent absence from CL football, leads me too think it unlikely to be us. Saying that, I have no doubt there is more than 1 English game involved.

Shocking the scale and depth of it though, these aren't obscure games, World Cup Qualifiers, Euro qualifiers and the CL along with some of the top leagues.....to be that in depth it has to go to the top level surely?

On the other hand.....please be the mancs!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Match Fixing
      Reply #2: Feb 04, 2013 12:45:47 pm
      Sly Sports reporting that "European police uncover criminal conspiracy which has fixed 380 European matches including a champions league game in England. Investigation reveals 425 corrupt officials, players and criminals in 15 countries."

Destroying my beautiful game
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Feb 04, 2013 12:53:42 pm
      Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, it's naive to think that football hasn't been touched by match fixing.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,988 posts | 516 
      Reply #4: Feb 04, 2013 12:58:39 pm
      Yeah, its supposed to be last "3 or 4 years".

That probably means last 3 as obviously they know what year it is and are putting the "or" in just to be vague. If it was in the last 4 they'd have said "4 or 5".
      Probably.

Basically, if its last 3 including this one then it defo doesn't involve us.
      Not that it would anyway of course but I'd like to be able to really relax and look forward to it coming out  ;D
      redno7
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      Re: Match Fixing
      Reply #5: Feb 04, 2013 01:04:25 pm
      Well it's reported to have happened int he last 4 seasons so thats us off the hook!

I really really hope it involves them Manc utd shitbags, I really do.

A 10 years ban from all European comps.

please god make this happen
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #6: Feb 04, 2013 01:26:54 pm
      Can anyone remember did 2 English teams play each other over the last few years? It would be even better if it was 2 teams surely this will be a ban from European football for a few seasons.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #7: Feb 04, 2013 01:30:52 pm
      Well it's reported to have happened int he last 4 seasons so thats us off the hook!

and suddenly 5th would be a CL spot, real icing on the cake!

In truth though this is shocking, yet unsurprising. Personally, while getting the Mancs banned would always be a thing to cheer about I hope it only involves foreign teams. Just because the game was in England means nothing if the team agreed to lose, I'd much prefer the scandals not to involve our country if I'm honest.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #8: Feb 04, 2013 01:30:59 pm
      Anybody got any "inside" gossip on this? Even if its totally made up, I don't mind, let's get the ball rolling.
      Could just see 'Arry being involved.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #9: Feb 04, 2013 01:33:49 pm

I think this is a bit bitter and twisted and a sentiment I wholeheatedly agree with. >:D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Feb 04, 2013 01:43:09 pm
      Can anyone remember did 2 English teams play each other over the last few years? It would be even better if it was 2 teams surely this will be a ban from European football for a few seasons.

Yeah the scum and chavs, also we played chavs our last season involved, I think.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #11: Feb 04, 2013 01:51:33 pm
      I've only just realised there are two topics with the exact same title started on this.

Not us so only a few clubs to choose from.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      Reply #12: Feb 04, 2013 01:56:58 pm
      Chelsea - possible
      Arsenal - doubt it
      scum - possible
      Spurs - doubt it
      Man City - possible

Two in five chance of be a very happy chappy
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #13: Feb 04, 2013 01:57:32 pm

Uhh, or it might not be so good. Less English teams in the Champions League = less points toward the FIFA rankings that allocate the number of qualification spots each League gets. What if we finish fourth and because of a ban the Premier League only has 3 CL places? Not saying it'll definitely happen should English teams get a ban, but it's possible and its why I wouldn't immediately celebrate should things go that way.

Either way this is a problem that needs eradicating completely, but that's not particularly easy.
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #14: Feb 04, 2013 02:07:13 pm
      Uhh, or it might not be so good. Less English teams in the Champions League = less points toward the FIFA rankings that allocate the number of qualification spots each League gets. What if we finish fourth and because of a ban the Premier League only has 3 CL places? Not saying it'll definitely happen should English teams get a ban, but it's possible and its why I wouldn't immediately celebrate should things go that way.

Either way this is a problem that needs eradicating completely, but that's not particularly easy.

Really just going to have to wait and see, it may just be officials involved or could be groups of players really just guessing. If a team got banned surely 5th spot would take their place, no?

Yeah the scum and chavs, also we played chavs our last season involved, I think.

Be great if it was both of them. My memory is hazy too think it was the season before last we played them. Think we were knocked out in the group stages last season in it
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #15: Feb 04, 2013 02:11:02 pm
      Really just going to have to wait and see, it may just be officials involved or could be groups of players really just guessing. If a team got banned surely 5th spot would take their place, no?

Yeah I see what you mean, if one English team finished 4th and got banned for a few years then surely the 5th placed would take qualification for hte following season. I'd be concerned if we weren't in that 5th place and the performance of English clubs in Europe drops to the point where the PL has one qualification spot removed, which would make it harder for us in the long run. This is obviously all speculation, I've no idea what's going to happen here or whether these allegations will even make it into light.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #16: Feb 04, 2013 02:50:19 pm
      Chelsea :  Possible when petrol dollars can't stop flowing
      Arsenal  :  Unlikely
      Spurs  :  Unlikely, too new to try those monkey tricks
      Man City :  Can't go further in the tournament even with the help of corrupted officials.
      Scums  :  Very extremely highly likely where they are already controlling the press, match officials, extra time, league fictures, Suarez saga, trying to take control of UEFA .......... it's all too obvious.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #17: Feb 04, 2013 02:51:38 pm

Add another 10.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #18: Feb 04, 2013 03:00:51 pm
      Reported that the ref was from Hungary. Doubt it was a big game, probably a first round qualifier or a group game.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #19: Feb 04, 2013 03:09:38 pm
      I reckon it's either going to be something huge - like the Chavs vs Barca in 2009.  Remember all the penalties turned down?

Or something (more likely) like a side going out to not win in order to face an easier team in the knockout stages.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #20: Feb 04, 2013 03:14:33 pm
      A Hungarian ref supposed to be involved. Don't see it being Spuds, they are too new to the CL stage and I don’t think they’d try that. I reckon it’s Chelsea, United, or us.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #21: Feb 04, 2013 05:12:58 pm
      Tottenham vs Inter match at White Hart Lane was a Hungarian referee. I know that's just circumstantial but I thought id point it out anyway.
      Bier
      Reply #22: Feb 04, 2013 05:28:00 pm
      Most of these fixed matches shouldn't be fixed results. In China they bet on the weirdest sh*t, like who gets the first yellow, or what minute, and who gets the first corner or throw in and when or the first foul, stuff like that.. And not just in big games either, but small meaningless games between clubs from lower leagues especially. Those matches are easier to fix for them too.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6926 
      Reply #23: Feb 04, 2013 06:02:58 pm
      Yeah, its supposed to be last "3 or 4 years".

That probably means last 3 as obviously they know what year it is and are putting the "or" in just to be vague. If it was in the last 4 they'd have said "4 or 5".
      Probably.

Brilliant.

(I don't understand a word of it like but it looks like a boss theory!)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,285 posts | 2805 
      Reply #24: Feb 04, 2013 06:10:19 pm
      Surely it's got to be that game where Drogba went mental at the end?

Chelsea had about 5 clear penalties not given. It was so bad that I almost started feeling sorry for them!
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #25: Feb 04, 2013 06:12:48 pm
      The ref from that game was Norweigan but I'm not sure if the hungarian ref thing is true or not
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,276 posts | 799 
      Reply #26: Feb 04, 2013 06:12:48 pm
      Brilliant.

(I don't understand a word of it like but it looks like a boss theory!)

;D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #27: Feb 04, 2013 06:21:08 pm
      The sad part in all this is it will take a few years before any action is taken against the offending clubs so I don't see it helping us with our European aspirations this season.Seeing as the police are involved as with the Terry case EUFA and FIFA and the English FA will not be able to take any action till the police have done their bit.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #28: Feb 04, 2013 06:38:06 pm
      Hungarian ref is just an example. First reaction was - Man Utd. They're always at it. More I think about it now the more I believe it to be Chelsea.
      Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, it's naive to think that football hasn't been touched by match fixing.

Totally. But it's something I'm sure the authorities say doesn't happen despite them damn well knowing that it does happen....especially the FA who as which, know from the Suarez and Terry scandals, is probably amongst the most disingenuous sporting bodies on the continent.

That said the Chelsea v Barcelona match from 2009 was very farcical and suspicious. Regardless of who they are, Chelsea had every right to feel hard done by that night and despite my immense respect and joy from watching Barcelona, aspects of the games authorities do seem to regard that team in a pretty privy manner. Almost too privy?

However Manchester United's harassment of referees in England for the last 20 years, you would never put it past them to be at the centre of this. On the domestic front I think we all know United (David Gill, SAF) gerrymander the way referees are assigned to games in the Premier League. That's what got Juventus banished to Serie B in 2006.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #29: Feb 04, 2013 06:50:06 pm
      [Insert Michael Jackson eating popcorn gif here]
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #30: Feb 04, 2013 06:51:06 pm
      Surely, just because it was on English soil, it doesn't mean that the English team was involved. Could have been Man U v X and it is team X that is involved in the match fix. Man U could simply be the innocent party.

Considering it is only 1 game that took place in England, I'm expecting it to be the European team that was the problem.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #31: Feb 04, 2013 06:55:09 pm
      [Insert Michael Jackson eating popcorn gif here]

;D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #32: Feb 04, 2013 06:58:37 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #33: Feb 04, 2013 06:58:43 pm
      Surely, just because it was on English soil, it doesn't mean that the English team was involved. Could have been Man U v X and it is team X that is involved in the match fix. Man U could simply be the innocent party.

Considering it is only 1 game that took place in England, I'm expecting it to be the European team that was the problem.

That's true. I don't believe any football team in England was implicated in this scandal at all but I was just drawing attention to the somewhat farcical events that happen within England to show that the country has got it's own problems to stamp out ie stamping out weak, sheepish referees.
      p.stromso
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #34: Feb 04, 2013 07:39:31 pm
      From what I read they haven't released much information because of an ongoing investigation and proceedings.

Just because it involves one of our Champions League teams doesn't mean it was their actions.

In fact why would Premier League players jeopardise a clubs revenue stream and their career by this. It's much more likely to be an opposition team on lower wages being tempted by a huge pay day.

If any UEFA officials are involved though I can see life bans. Simple as that. I think this could bring the curtain down on a number of players and clubs.

But I think the Premier League and England is an indirectly involved IMO.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #35: Feb 04, 2013 07:39:43 pm

I know its already been posted.
      I'm feeling pedantic.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #36: Feb 04, 2013 09:02:21 pm
      Marcus Christenson ‏@m_christenson
      Danish paper Ekstra Bladet claims the 2 CL matches under suspicion for match-fixing are Liverpool v Debrecen & Debrecen v Fiorentina in 2009
       Retweeted by Dan Kennett

I hope that's wrong.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #37: Feb 04, 2013 09:03:37 pm
      Marcus Christenson ‏@m_christenson
      Danish paper Ekstra Bladet claims the 2 CL matches under suspicion for match-fixing are Liverpool v Debrecen & Debrecen v Fiorentina in 2009
       Retweeted by Dan Kennett

I hope that's wrong.

If true I'd imagine it would be Debrecen under investigation as they're involved in both those games.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #38: Feb 04, 2013 09:06:37 pm
      Its Debrecen not liverpool.
      Their keeper to be specific.

Served a ban for not reporting an approach from match fixers.
      We still only won 1-0.

But sure lets all do what the gutter press will and concentrate on LFC.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #39: Feb 04, 2013 09:12:27 pm
      My favourite piece of the article;

The FA and UEFA were not aware of the investigation.

I wonder why, because they we're bloody running the thing.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #40: Feb 04, 2013 09:36:57 pm
      Its Debrecen not liverpool.
      Their keeper to be specific.

Served a ban for not reporting an approach from match fixers.
      We still only won 1-0.

But sure lets all do what the gutter press will and concentrate on LFC.

That's what bothers me. We should have lawyers examining closely how this is reported.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #41: Feb 04, 2013 09:38:03 pm
      If true I'd imagine it would be Debrecen under investigation as they're involved in both those games.

Yep, it does look that way. Ideally, though, it wouldn't involve us at all - even as opponents.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #42: Feb 04, 2013 10:05:33 pm
      Yep, it does look that way. Ideally, though, it wouldn't involve us at all - even as opponents.

Of course H2H - but not much we can do to influence that I guess.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #43: Feb 04, 2013 10:18:58 pm

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #44: Feb 04, 2013 10:19:43 pm
      I remember when Bruce Grobellar was accused of match fixing along with a few others , the s*n tried their best to make it stick but they lost . This is something that football could do without now , the politically correct will all be out in force .
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #45: Feb 04, 2013 10:30:23 pm
      Man U could simply be the innocent party.

And that boys and girls , as Aussie Red has already indicated using the medium of smileys, is a perfect example of an oxymoron.
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #46: Feb 04, 2013 10:51:56 pm
      Funny aye, but as comments have been made about Man U, it's all of a sudden hush-hush when the rumour is that it involved Liverpool. ;)

Like I say, none of which tarnish the English club. Whoever it is. It is the European club that is under investigation.

Still, we wait for the day when the FA are investigated and Ferguson convicted. May take a while that one :)
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #47: Feb 04, 2013 11:09:24 pm
      I think the problem is the all encompassing phrase 'match fixing'. 
      Now unless both teams are involved, fixing a match to the exact required result must be nigh on impossible.
      But betting on something like the first throw in being in the first 10 seconds of a match and having one player on the payroll who kicks the ball straight out from the kick off is dead easy.
      That's why it's quite possible that the game involved might be us v Debrecen but we would be totally unaware of anything.
      Of course you can guarantee that if it is us the press will have a field day with it.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #48: Feb 04, 2013 11:14:46 pm
      James Pearce ‏@JamesPearceEcho
      #LFC have had no contact from Europol following claims that their CL clash with Debrecen in Sep 2009 was part of the match-fixing scandal.

Keeper Vukasin Poleksic allegedly bribed by fixers to ensure more than 2 goals in the game but didn't do a very good job as #LFC won 1-0.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #49: Feb 04, 2013 11:18:34 pm
      #LFC have had no contact from Europol following claims that their CL clash with Debrecen in Sep 2009 was part of the match-fixing scandal.

Keeper Vukasin Poleksic allegedly bribed by fixers to ensure more than 2 goals in the game but didn't do a very good job as #LFC won 1-0.

Or LFC didn't do a very good job.

That keeper must be gutted.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #50: Feb 04, 2013 11:28:59 pm
      Chelsea spring to mind.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,285 posts | 2805 
      Reply #51: Feb 04, 2013 11:36:19 pm
      Apparently the keeper was pissed off Gerrard missed a few chances :lmao:
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #52: Feb 05, 2013 12:14:42 am
      So let me get this straight.  We couldn't score 2 against a side that had been bought , or had been attempted to be bought.  Sounds about right.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #53: Feb 05, 2013 01:30:18 am
      Straight away thought of the Barca Chelsea game but doubt it. Too high profile.

That ridiculous 7-1 win by Lyon vs Zagreb (i i think it was Zagreb anyway) must be one of them. That was just stupid.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #54: Feb 05, 2013 02:04:48 am
      In Chelsea Barca, Barca had a player wrongly sent off ffs. It wasn't that.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #55: Feb 05, 2013 03:11:12 am
      Hungarian goalie was bribed (allegedly) to let in 3 goals. We only scored 1 past him! :D

I blame David N'Gog!
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #56: Feb 05, 2013 07:25:21 am
      So its a Hungarian football team not a referee then? Just had to be us with our luck didn't it.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #57: Feb 05, 2013 08:03:33 am
      F***ing brillian t why did they have to be playing us tossers
      redno7
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      Reply #58: Feb 05, 2013 10:49:57 am
      F***ing brillian t why did they have to be playing us tossers

massive interest in eastern countries. Huge money put on and their keeper bribed. But the only bit that'll stick in the papers will be LFC involved. sad but true
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,988 posts | 516 
      Reply #59: Feb 05, 2013 11:46:35 am

Why always us?
      We need to get a job lot of Mario's T-shirts.

Ah well, the main thing is we had nothing to do with the fix, was seemingly just Debrecen's dodgy goalie.

Biggest embarassment is probably -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9848809/Liverpools-2009-Champions-League-match-against-Debrecen-allegedly-fixed-by-Hungarian-sides-goalkeeper.html

...The report in Ekstra Bladet claimed fixers wanted to rig the betting market for total goals in the match, but failed. The newspaper claimed that fixers wanted to ensure there were at least three goals in the match, and that according to court papers they texted each other to express frustration at Liverpool’s failure to score more...

Gonna take pelters over that.
      To be fair it is quite funny.

Could have been worse!
      Thought "oh no" when I saw the headlines!
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #60: Feb 05, 2013 01:00:25 pm
      I think there's nothing to this one at all.

From all I have read, it sounds like the goalkeeper failed to report that he had been approached by the gang, but no indication that he actually took the bribe and was trying to give the game.

If he was 'in' on the action to concede 2+ goals, then why did he fail? Some articles point out that he made a couple of decent saves in the game. Ultimately, he only condeded 1. Had he wanted to concede 2+, he could have easily done so. It just doesn't stack up.

Of course, the British media are just running with the story.. but it seems funny to me that Europol refused to say which match it involved, and suddenly a newspaper in Denmark (??) have been told by Europol that it was the Liverpool game.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #61: Feb 05, 2013 01:33:41 pm
      Hey I just realised I was at that game! Was an incredibly boring one and remember walking out feeling like we'd lost because we played so poorly.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #62: Feb 05, 2013 02:03:27 pm
      Uefa incident 1,234,975 - I can feel another five year ban coming on!!

Shows how bad we were that year, goalie gets bribed to concede three, we struggled to score one. 21st century Liverpool FC in a nutshell!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      Reply #63: Feb 05, 2013 02:10:49 pm
      Uefa incident 1,234,975 - I can feel another five year ban coming on!!

Shows how bad we were that year, goalie gets bribed to concede three, we struggled to score one. 21st century Liverpool FC in a nutshell!

You have to laugh, it is genuinely funny

However, I think you have to take into consideration that only the keeper was on the fiddle. The rest of the players, defence in particular, may have been busting a gut to stop us scoring
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #64: Feb 05, 2013 02:15:04 pm
      You have to laugh, it is genuinely funny

However, I think you have to take into consideration that only the keeper was on the fiddle. The rest of the players, defence in particular, may have been busting a gut to stop us scoring

Nah I refer you to above from Fletch Rox - it was a sh*te, mind-numbingly, boring game, we should of battered them by more, felt like F***ing off myself half-way through the game to the boozer.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #65: Feb 08, 2013 11:44:39 pm
      Rafael Benítez 'surprised' Liverpool game under scrutiny by Europol
      • Rafael Benítez saw nothing suspicious against Debrecen
      • Former Liverpool manager says inquiry is 'fantastic'

Dominic Fifield
      guardian.co.uk, Friday 8 February 2013 23.00 GMT

Rafael Benítez said he was "surprised" to learn that Liverpool's Champions League group game victory over Debrecen four years ago, a match he oversaw while manager at Anfield, had come under suspicion as part of Europol's investigation into match-fixing.

The Hungarian club have confirmed their goalkeeper, Vukasin Poleksic, had been questioned by Uefa having been approached by fixers before the game at Anfield, which Liverpool won 1-0 with a Dirk Kuyt's goal. No player or official involved with the game has been disciplined for any offence relating to it though Poleksic was banned for two years in 2010 by Uefa for failing to report an approach from match-fixers involving Debrecen's 4-3 defeat to Fiorentina in October 2009, a month after the Anfield tie.

Rob Wainwright, the director of Europol, the European Union's law-enforcement agency, had told a news conference on Monday that a total of 425 match officials, club officials, players, and serious criminals, from more than 15 countries, were suspected of being involved in attempts to fix matches, with 380 games under suspicion.

"I'm surprised, though it was nothing to do with [Liverpool]," Benítez said. "We went out to win the game, and we did. I didn't remember [anything suspicious]. It was a game we had to win, and we approached it to do just that. The fact it was 1-0 means it was quite difficult. I think that it's fantastic that the investigation is taking place, analysing those 300-odd games. If they find something then OK. If not, even better. But it's important to clarify things. I'm very happy with that."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/08/rafael-benitez-liverpool-europol?CMP=twt_gu
      StrikingMidfield
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #66: Feb 09, 2013 04:52:47 pm
      Seems like a whole lot of garbage to me. It all seems uptight and everything, and then somehow a Danish newspaper suddenly founds out some inside information? Wouldn't put it past the scum to try and take away a victory of ours. Fergie speaks Dutch?

Quick Reply