Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Underrated Players You Rate

Read 40842 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Underrated Players You Rate
      Reply #276: Dec 16, 2015 12:59:00 am
      Not sure why you'd say that. Palace are having a great season, and Cabaye's part in that vindicates his decision to leave PSG.

No doubt, but he is a top class player who deserves to be competing at the top, for titles, in Europe etc.  He's never going to achieve that consistently at Palace.

Imagine a midfield three of him, Can, and a top defensive midfielder for us.  Would be best in the league.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #277: Dec 16, 2015 01:30:37 am
      No doubt, but he is a top class player who deserves to be competing at the top, for titles, in Europe etc.  He's never going to achieve that consistently at Palace.

Imagine a midfield three of him, Can, and a top defensive midfielder for us.  Would be best in the league.

You talk like Can has been a consistent player for us in midfield but he hasn't. He's been good but only on occasions. He certainly wouldn't belong in a midfield titled "the best in the league" and neither would Cabaye for that matter.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #278: Dec 16, 2015 01:45:11 am

Not sure about "best in the league" in those circumstances (City & Arsenal have pretty good M/Fs, as do Leicester), but it would significantly improve us.

I just thought in the summer that we lacked a special midfielder. We've got some hard-working experienced players in there, lots of energy, a moderate amount of attacking quality but no one who really creates or scores enough, or who can control a game like Alonso used to.

I know it's a cliche but over the years we've gone from the likes of Gerrard, Hamann, Alonso & Masch to some fairly average players by comparison, even though it's one of the most important areas of the team.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #279: Dec 16, 2015 06:09:53 am
      Not sure about "best in the league" in those circumstances (City & Arsenal have pretty good M/Fs, as do Leicester), but it would significantly improve us.

City's midfield is only top class depending on the day.  Toure doesn't show up half the time.  Fernandino is good, and Silva is stellar, but with Toure invisible it makes them basically a two man midfield.  As for Arsenal, Ozil blows hot and cold, Ramsey is overrated, Cazorla is great but is more of an attacking player.   

I think if we had a midfield three of Can plus Cabaye plus a top class DM we would have the best midfield in the league. 
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #280: Dec 17, 2015 07:45:09 pm
      Islam Slimani...I feel like he is mine brother :D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #281: Dec 17, 2015 08:25:19 pm
      City's midfield is only top class depending on the day.  Toure doesn't show up half the time.  Fernandino is good, and Silva is stellar, but with Toure invisible it makes them basically a two man midfield.  As for Arsenal, Ozil blows hot and cold, Ramsey is overrated, Cazorla is great but is more of an attacking player.   

I think if we had a midfield three of Can plus Cabaye plus a top class DM we would have the best midfield in the league. 

Do you think Can is better than Ramsey? And Ozil "blows hot and cold" by being the player with most assists in Europe.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #282: Dec 18, 2015 08:04:57 am
      N'Golo Kante from Leicester is a very good player, the engine on him is incredible, never stops running.

Ighalo from Watford is also a decent shout, scores for fun atm.

And Ritchie from Bournemouth is an interesting player, i reckon he will move in the summer to a team like Everton or West Ham.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #283: Dec 19, 2015 07:36:18 pm
      Do you think Can is better than Ramsey? And Ozil "blows hot and cold" by being the player with most assists in Europe.

I think this demonstrates the sticky wicket people can find themselves on if they make ill-informed sweeping statements Diego. Of course Ramsey when fit is a better footballer than Can currently, and the days of Ozil being something of a joke signing have lone gone. He is obviously one of the best players in what is admittedly a fairly ordinary league.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #284: Dec 19, 2015 07:54:43 pm
      I think this demonstrates the sticky wicket people can find themselves on if they make ill-informed sweeping statements Diego. Of course Ramsey when fit is a better footballer than Can currently, and the days of Ozil being something of a joke signing have lone gone. He is obviously one of the best players in what is admittedly a fairly ordinary league.

Entirely agree. I was just trying to finally get a reply from federer regarding Can - I've questioned a few times what seems an extreme loyalty to the idea that Can is "the best CM at the club" when he clearly isn't, but never managed to get a discussion going as he always ignores it. You can certainly expect him saying that the likes of Henderson are not good enough for our club in other threads though, but somehow Can would easily be part of the best midfield in the league.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #285: Dec 19, 2015 11:01:54 pm
      Entirely agree. I was just trying to finally get a reply from federer regarding Can - I've questioned a few times what seems an extreme loyalty to the idea that Can is "the best CM at the club" when he clearly isn't, but never managed to get a discussion going as he always ignores it. You can certainly expect him saying that the likes of Henderson are not good enough for our club in other threads though, but somehow Can would easily be part of the best midfield in the league.

Agree.

Hendo is our best CM.

No doubt in my mind on that.

Back on topic and Wes Houlahan anyone?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #286: Dec 19, 2015 11:41:58 pm
      Agree.

Hendo is our best CM.

No doubt in my mind on that.

Back on topic and Wes Houlahan anyone?

I think he's a really good player for those mid to lower table kind of teams.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #287: Dec 20, 2015 12:34:07 am
      Nick Blackman. Reading. Peach of a left foot, bit questionable attitude wise but I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes a punt on him.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #288: Dec 21, 2015 10:38:31 pm

Mesut Özil has 15 assists now, just 5 behind Thierry Henry's Premier League record, and there are 21 games left...
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #289: Dec 22, 2015 10:44:02 am
      Bit raw still but that Joel Campbell lad looks decent.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #290: Dec 22, 2015 12:28:55 pm
      Mesut Özil has 15 assists now, just 5 behind Thierry Henry's Premier League record, and there are 21 games left...

If someone can't see that as of now Ozil is a very good player it means one of three things. It's either

a) They are devoid of any clue whatsoever.

b) They are unable to see things clearly due to some kind of predjudice (they hate Germans, or Turks, or boggle eyes or something)

c) They are unable to bring themselves to admit that previously there were talking bollocks.

In Federers case I think he's a "C", but then I've always felt that  ;).
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #291: Dec 22, 2015 12:32:06 pm
      Ozil is one of those wonderful players that plays the game his way and at his pace Oh to have him at Anfield.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #292: Dec 22, 2015 12:45:30 pm
      Ozil is one of those wonderful players that plays the game his way and at his pace Oh to have him at Anfield.

He is one of the top players in the league now, no doubt about it. He did do the best part of f*ck all for the first year or so though and they stuck with him, I suppose they had the advantage that he had shown his undoubted class elsewhere so they could be confident they'd see it eventually.

Maybe a lesson for all of though (and I'm as guilty as anyone), sometimes you've got to wait. Trouble is we're waiting for the whole f****** team.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #293: Dec 22, 2015 07:48:29 pm
      giroud.. criminally underrated and even under appreciated by some of his own supporters
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #294: Dec 26, 2015 05:33:57 pm
      Dele Ali at Spurs. Should be our player too by all accounts
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #295: Dec 26, 2015 05:35:10 pm
      Dele Ali at Spurs. Should be our player too by all accounts

It baffles me how the TC thought he wasn't a value for money investment yet Lallana was.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #296: Dec 26, 2015 05:36:38 pm
      It baffles me how the TC thought he wasn't a value for money investment yet Lallana was.

It's okay though, we will spend a load of money on a wet blanket instead.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #297: Dec 26, 2015 05:41:12 pm

The wisdom of ex Rushden & Diamonds relegation manager Dave Fallows perhaps?? What sort of weird parallel universe do we live in where Dave Fallows is consulting Jürgen Klopp? Not even a Hollywood blockbuster where Daniel Day Lewis is starring alongside the Chuckle Brothers is as screwed up as that.
      TheForge
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #298: Feb 04, 2016 08:41:39 pm
      Luka Modric, I rated as one of the best playmakers in the league when at Spurs.
      Very underrated since he moved to real, because he's just not suited to their football and league, and ended being just a squad member (but hey there's some competition there).
      If he moved back to england, I'd be happy to see us sign him even if he's 30.

I've always thought Modric was one of the best CM in the world.  When you watch him, he is (not to sound corny) NON-STOP ACTION.  He's always running and always making himself available for the ball and he almost never passes the ball backward and he's not losing the ball either.  He would be the PERFECT LEAD DOG TO PARTNER HENDERSON.

My input here would be Alex Song.  Big physical presence with skill, although he did have that moment of madness red card at the world cup.

Quick Reply