Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool in dark over match-fixing claims

Read 5552 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,694 posts | 3713 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Liverpool in dark over match-fixing claims
      Feb 05, 2013 10:12:10 am
      Liverpool in dark over match-fixing claims about Champions League tie with Debrecen

Liverpool say they have had no contact from Europol or any other body in connection with match-fixing allegations surrounding their 2009 Champions League match against Debrecen.

The European law enforcement agency said one Champions League match played in England is under investigation.

According to Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet, Europol is looking at Hungarian side Debrecen who lost 1-0 to Liverpool at Anfield in 2009.

There is no suggestion that anyone at Liverpool was involved in any wrongdoing.

Vukasin Poleksic, the Debrecen goalkeeper that night, was banned for two years in 2010 by UEFA for failing to report match-fixing activities involving a different game.

A Liverpool spokesman said on Tuesday: "We have had no contact from Europol or any other organisation over this."

Europol has not revealed which Champions League match in England is under investigation but that it took place "in the last three to four years" and is one of 380 games being studied. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8472261/
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Re: Liverpool in dark over match-fixing claims
      Reply #1: Feb 05, 2013 10:21:53 am
      I'd be very, very disappointed if we had anything to do with it.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,428 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2: Feb 05, 2013 10:24:44 am
      The suggestion was that it was the Debrecen goalie was the one who was targeted and had to let at leas three goals in, no great surprise to see that playing us that season he couldn't manage that. There is no suggestion of any part played by us in the match fixing.
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #3: Feb 05, 2013 10:29:50 am
      It'd be a sad day when LFC stoop to this low...this Hungarian side is a disgrace to football, hopefully we aren't involved in this farce.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,428 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4: Feb 05, 2013 10:32:21 am
      It'd be a sad day when LFC stoop to this low...this Turkish side is a disgrace to football, hopefully we aren't involved in this farce.
      Er, they're from Hungary.
      Elrozzo1
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 480 posts |
      • ElroyRosenberg hit me up on Twitter
      Reply #5: Feb 05, 2013 10:32:48 am

Sorry, misread. Carry on.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #6: Feb 05, 2013 10:34:29 am
      I'd guess that Liverpool are in the dark because it has nothing to do with us apart from it being in a match that we were the opposition.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #7: Feb 05, 2013 10:34:51 am
      It'd be a sad day when LFC stoop to this low...this Turkish side is a disgrace to football, hopefully we aren't involved in this farce.

Turkish side?

Top end players won't be involved in this.. I just can't see players on 50/60/70/100 etc a week bring tempted by far eastern betting rings to potentially make a few extra quid.
      Those betting rings will target players earning less like the keeper from the Hungarian league who those few extra quid can tempt them.

Liverpool won't have anything to do with this I'm sure
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,694 posts | 3713 
      Reply #8: Feb 05, 2013 11:28:39 am
      And the best thing was that the keepers target was not reached. We only won by 1 goal :)
      « Last Edit: Feb 05, 2013 11:59:20 am by clint_call01 »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #9: Feb 05, 2013 11:49:34 am
      There is no suggestion that we had anything to do with it. It's all down to the opposing team's Goalkeeper who was later banned for two years for a similar but unrelated offence. There was heavy betting that the game in question would have three or more goals in it however the game was won by Kuyt at 1-0 suggesting that he (the goal keeper) was approached to throw the match but didn't.

Match-fixing: Liverpool say Europol have not contacted them

Liverpool say they have not been contacted by Europol concerning the European Union police agency's match-fixing investigation.

Reports suggest Liverpool's 1-0 home win over Debrecen in the Champions League group stage in 2009 is one of the 680 games under suspicion.

However, there is no suggestion of wrongdoing by the Anfield club.

"We've not had any contact from Europol and no other agency has been in touch with Liverpool," said a Reds spokesman.

Former Reds striker Dirk Kuyt scored the winner for the Merseysiders in the narrow victory over the Hungarian side.

Europol has been investigating for 18 months and said on Monday that suspected matches also included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers, two Champions League ties and "several top football matches in European leagues".

Rob Wainwright, director of Europol, said: "This is the work of a suspected organised crime syndicate based in Asia and operated with criminal networks around Europe."

Many of the allegations centre around matches in lower divisions around Europe and there are believed to be in the region of 425 match officials, club officials, players and criminals suspected of being involved.

In matches based in Germany, criminals wagered £13.8m (16m euros) on rigged matches and made £6.9m in profits, with officials fearing this is as the "tip of the iceberg".

The biggest payment to an individual was also revealed to have been in Austria for a total of £121,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21335331
      LFCexiled
      Reply #10: Feb 05, 2013 12:00:29 pm
      I said to the missus last night (jokingly) that I'd piss myself if it was a scummers match from 1999 and as a result they got their trophy taken away, I swiftly followed that (unjokingly) with "it'll probably involve us though". *sighs*

One day we'll be making headlines in a positive manner, I live in hope.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,255 posts | 2820 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11: Feb 05, 2013 01:07:03 pm
      Shocking, pure shocking.

The Debrecen keeper was paid to allow 3 goals in but we only scored the winner in the 89th minute, shocking....... ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #12: Feb 05, 2013 01:40:37 pm
      Liverpool FC. Tackling match fixing since 2009. You want us to score three goals. We'll only score one!!
      KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #13: Feb 05, 2013 01:46:56 pm
      we have nothing to worry about .Its their keeper nothing to do with us...
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #14: Feb 05, 2013 01:58:42 pm
      I said to the missus last night (jokingly) that I'd piss myself if it was a scummers match from 1999 and as a result they got their trophy taken away, I swiftly followed that (unjokingly) with "it'll probably involve us though". *sighs*

One day we'll be making headlines in a positive manner, I live in hope.

Let's be clear here. First, this has come from a Danish newspaper and is so far, unsubstantiated. Secondly, this does not involve us. It was a match we where involved in. There is no suggestion that anyone within LFC knew or where party to match fixing. Let's not start believing we're culpable when we're not.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #15: Feb 05, 2013 02:03:38 pm
      Our forwards were so poor, we couldnt even fix the game by scoring 3 goals  ;D ;D ;D

Nothing for us to worry about

Mischeivous thought though

On 5live this morning on drive to work, apparantly one of the biggest betting markets in asia is when the 'big team' go behind early (didnt catch full title of this type of bet)

was wondering .... any sides we know that are so say "big" in asian circles that this has happenned to multiple times this season.....
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #16: Feb 05, 2013 02:09:09 pm
      Our forwards were so poor, we couldnt even fix the game by scoring 3 goals  ;D ;D ;D

Nothing for us to worry about

Mischeivous thought though

On 5live this morning on drive to work, apparantly one of the biggest betting markets in asia is when the 'big team' go behind early (didnt catch full title of this type of bet)

was wondering .... any sides we know that are so say "big" in asian circles that this has happenned to multiple times this season.....

What do you mean this season?

Let's go as far back as 1993!!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #17: Feb 05, 2013 02:09:34 pm

Well the head of Europol (the investigative force) has apparently told the EPL and FA not to be so naive as to think match fixing isn't going on in England.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #18: Feb 05, 2013 02:19:00 pm
      Only we could be supposedly involved in a match-fixing scandal in which we were to score three goals, but only score one ;D
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #19: Feb 05, 2013 03:50:37 pm
      Well the head of Europol (the investigative force) has apparently told the EPL and FA not to be so naive as to think match fixing isn't going on in England.

Rivalry aside - they have gone behind a lot this season. Is it JUST a dodgy defence ?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #20: Feb 05, 2013 03:55:39 pm
      Debrecen are the side involved in quite a few of the matches. Think i saw it was their keeper who took bribes etc. It just so happened that one of those matches involved us.

I bet Sly Sports are loving this.

Even though we are totally innocent in this matter they'll no doubt enjoy planting a seed.

They are F***ing wankers.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #21: Feb 05, 2013 04:01:25 pm
      Debrecen slams CL fixing reports as old news

Reports linking Hungarian side Debrecen with match-fixing are merely raking over old ground, the club said in a statement on Tuesday.

full article>>http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/debrecen-slams-champions-league-fixing-reports-as-old-news/20130205.htm
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,694 posts | 3713 
      Reply #22: Feb 05, 2013 04:13:09 pm
      Debrecen slams CL fixing reports as old news

Reports linking Hungarian side Debrecen with match-fixing are merely raking over old ground, the club said in a statement on Tuesday.

full article>>http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/debrecen-slams-champions-league-fixing-reports-as-old-news/20130205.htm
      On Sky too http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8473676

Quick Reply