Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Jamie Carragher To Retire At The End Of The Season

Read 16512 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Jamie Carragher To Retire At The End Of The Season
      Reply #92: Feb 07, 2013 11:30:48 pm
      Wondering why the announcement today. Has he had problems, recovery wise, after games recently?  Maybe he doesn't want bit part football. He'll be missed, but as is the way with our club, as one hero leaves, another has the chance to become the next hero.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #93: Feb 08, 2013 12:29:21 am
      If we really wanted to be picky we could say getting bladdered and erm f**king about with strippers at the christmas party that time and getting wasted at a house party at the Ince's and threatening to smash a few mancs, little bit of car damage afterwards as well!!

Most of this was in his young days ;)

There was also the coin throwing incident vs Arsenal in 2002 I think.

Should have thrown more at the gooner dogs.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #94: Feb 08, 2013 12:59:25 am
      Holding back the tears now. 13 years is a long long time with one and only club, that is Liverpool Football Club for Jamie. On one hand, I'm sad but on the other I'm happy he bowed out as a legend and he won trophies that some can only dream off. We will definitely miss his shouting and organisational skills in our box. I'll certainly want to see him back with the club among the coaching staff as soon as possible. All the best Jamie, maximum respect for you.
      « Last Edit: Feb 08, 2013 01:11:38 am by redkop63 »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #95: Feb 08, 2013 01:09:35 am
      Wondering why the announcement today. Has he had problems, recovery wise, after games recently?  Maybe he doesn't want bit part football. He'll be missed, but as is the way with our club, as one hero leaves, another has the chance to become the next hero.

His rationale, according to his statement, was that questions keep being asked and will keep being asked distracting from the team. As to the guy, true legend of not just Liverpool, but of the game in general. One of the last of a dying breed, he will be missed. Hope he goes in to the coaching staff and one day is LFC a successful Manager.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #96: Feb 08, 2013 02:17:53 am
      I love it when Carra sais in and interview, "Yea, ya know but," ;D always makes me smile.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #97: Feb 08, 2013 02:23:52 am
      There was also the coin throwing incident vs Arsenal in 2002 I think.

Should have thrown more at the gooner dogs.

Just returning what wasn't his!! ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #98: Feb 08, 2013 02:33:33 am
      :
      Just returning what wasn't his!! ;)
      I would not expect anything less from a good honest scouse,don't know about those Huyton sods though. :laugh:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #99: Feb 08, 2013 04:18:23 am
      : I would not expect anything less from a good honest scouse,don't know about those Huyton sods though. :laugh:

I know Steven probably would of pocketed it!! ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #100: Feb 08, 2013 06:44:48 am
      Billy - out of interest where does Carra sit in the pantheon of great LFC icons?
      The very fact he has lasted so long at Anfield speaks volumes for the man.The only other man who I can think of lasting longer at Anfield than Carra would be Ronnie Moran.Then again we have my hero Billy Liddell who we signed from an amateur club as did Bob Paisley,Ian Callaghan was another special man but he finished his time at Swansea as did Tommy Smith and Ray Kennedy.There was quite a few players who followed Toshack to Swansea and without a doubt it was those Liverpool stalwarts who made Tosh into a top class manager.Back to other players we must never forget the likes of Bill Jones and Phil Taylor,also that 1965 hero Gerry Byrne should not be forgotten as he was a one club man from 1955 to 1969 when he retired through injury. If I was to go through the memory box I am sure there would be many more fantastic REDS who deserve mention.Mods sorry for diverting off topic but it was a credible question from Scotia and I thought it deserved a credible answer.
                              So I do not get slaughtered Roy Evans is another who deserves mention,he only played 11 games for the first team and had to retire through injury.Bill Shankly kept him on on the coaching staff and if my memory is correct he won 4 central league championships as coach and of course he went on to be our manager.
      « Last Edit: Feb 08, 2013 07:39:40 am by Billy1 »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #101: Feb 08, 2013 07:34:47 am
      This sucks. Was always a big favourite of mine because he wore #23.

Going to be weird not seeing him in the team. True legend of the club. Go out with a bang Jamie.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #102: Feb 08, 2013 07:40:27 am
      All the best JC. A true legend and great man. Coaching badges after a year off me thinks. YNWA
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #103: Feb 08, 2013 08:29:12 am
      The very fact he has lasted so long at Anfield speaks volumes for the man.The only other man who I can think of lasting longer at Anfield than Carra would be Ronnie Moran.Then again we have my hero Billy Liddell who we signed from an amateur club as did Bob Paisley,Ian Callaghan was another special man but he finished his time at Swansea as did Tommy Smith and Ray Kennedy.There was quite a few players who followed Toshack to Swansea and without a doubt it was those Liverpool stalwarts who made Tosh into a top class manager.Back to other players we must never forget the likes of Bill Jones and Phil Taylor,also that 1965 hero Gerry Byrne should not be forgotten as he was a one club man from 1955 to 1969 when he retired through injury. If I was to go through the memory box I am sure there would be many more fantastic REDS who deserve mention.Mods sorry for diverting off topic but it was a credible question from Scotia and I thought it deserved a credible answer.
                              So I do not get slaughtered Roy Evans is another who deserves mention,he only played 11 games for the first team and had to retire through injury.Bill Shankly kept him on on the coaching staff and if my memory is correct he won 4 central league championships as coach and of course he went on to be our manager.

Thanks Billy - appreciated.

I guess that's what I was touching at - to feature alongside the names that you have mentioned is probably the greatest honour / tribute that the lad could have.

For his kids and Grandkids to know he was that integral and that highly regarded at the greatest club in the world - where we don't lack for proper legends - must be enormously gratifying.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #104: Feb 08, 2013 08:49:30 am
      Thanks Billy - appreciated.

I guess that's what I was touching at - to feature alongside the names that you have mentioned is probably the greatest honour / tribute that the lad could have.

For his kids and Grandkids to know he was that integral and that highly regarded at the greatest club in the world - where we don't lack for proper legends - must be enormously gratifying.

To be fair to Roy Evans the 4 central league championships he won was on the trot and I am sure he won more than that as we had good reserve teams in those days.Also Roy would of been instrumental in Carras early days in the reserves.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #105: Feb 08, 2013 10:37:09 am
      Stunned and saddened when I read this today. Thought he deffo had at least another year or 2 in him.

A true legend of our Club. Hopefully this lights a fire under the lads and they go on and secure 3rd or 4th spot. Then on the last day they line up across the pitch, lift their Liverpool guernseys and reveal a t-shirt showing GIVE US ONE MORE YEAR JAMIE AND WE'LL WIN THE TITLE FOR YOU"  ;D

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #106: Feb 08, 2013 10:56:28 am
      A sad day which will be even worse if he's lost to those tw*ts on Sky Sports.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #107: Feb 09, 2013 10:54:42 am
      Thought he would have done an other year as a bit part but I guess he wants to go out dignified.

A massive Liverpool legend. One of a kind.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #108: Feb 09, 2013 06:01:59 pm
      Thank you Jamie for your lifetime contribution to our club. A top professional and a true gentleman.

AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #109: Feb 09, 2013 06:09:27 pm
      A sad day which will be even worse if he's lost to those tw*ts on Sky Sports.

I'd feel much happier paying my subscription fee if I knew I was going to be listening to Carraghers opinions on football ahead of Paul F***ing Merson.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #110: Feb 09, 2013 06:54:22 pm
      I'd feel much happier paying my subscription fee if I knew I was going to be listening to Carraghers opinions on football ahead of Paul F***ing Merson.

I've got to be honest but a team of Carragher and Neville (knowledge wise) would be a great move for Sky Sports. Never liked Neville as a player for obvious reasons but nobody can disagree with the fact he knows the ins and outs of the game and is one of the best pundits on TV at the moment.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #111: Feb 09, 2013 08:26:57 pm
      Stunned and saddened when I read this today. Thought he deffo had at least another year or 2 in him.

A true legend of our Club. Hopefully this lights a fire under the lads and they go on and secure 3rd or 4th spot. Then on the last day they line up across the pitch, lift their Liverpool guernseys and reveal a t-shirt showing GIVE US ONE MORE YEAR JAMIE AND WE'LL WIN THE TITLE FOR YOU"  ;D

I like that
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #112: Feb 09, 2013 10:56:18 pm
      Really sad but not unexpected news although as others have said another season wouldn't have been impossible.

I don't want to be sad as I want to enjoy and celebrate his long service to the Club so  :ernaehrung004: for the memory's Jamie.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #113: Feb 10, 2013 07:50:14 am
      Oh no the Mirror are reporting that the Labour Party want Carra to be there newest recruit
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #114: Feb 10, 2013 07:58:17 am

I second that.

Quick Reply